Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Psy890 posted:

I bought this.

Enjoy replacing your rear motor mount. Oh, and building your motor if you ever want to make more than about 220 HP. And the possibility of the differential grenading at stock power (Happened to me last year, nothing but a piggyback on the motor, stock boost.)

That said, it's a blast when you find the right road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

speedtek posted:

Looks like he hired someone with a grasp on the English language to fix up his ad.

http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classifieds/Automotive/CarsandTrucks/Ford/803343

e: sorry, here's a pic

I like how it still has Cosworth heads. Just how many heads does a 2.4 focus motor have, anyway?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/2953566490.html

Fuuuuuck, I know those C3s are a bag of Problems waiting to happen but that looks loving fine.

Buy->Remove Emissions->Megasquirt->hoonage.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

angryhampster posted:

Good carb, intake, headers, and a set of Vortec heads would probably run ~$1000. Used LSx could go for that.
Including engine management computer? That would seem to be the big sticking point for a budget build.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PainterofCrap posted:

Like he said. :smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I seem to remember a thread here where a goon with a '79 somehow wound up getting the very last two original stock 12A housings in NA; they were sitting buried in the back of a warehouse somewhere in Canada iirc.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

poo poo, that's not a bad deal even down here in the Unrust Belt.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

blugu64 posted:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/3169679225.html

They've been sitting on that car for 46 years. Doesn't even look like it has dust on it.

Did they add an extra zero on there, or are they delusional? Unless that car was literally handbuilt by Richard Petty with the hottest Hemi ever concieved, there's no way in hell they're getting that for what is essentially the Toyota Camry of the day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3322357373.html

Tempting, but the rust looks terminal as hell.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3327609309.html

Possible actual gold?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Paging Ultimateforce.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

blugu64 posted:

Hypothetically if that could be plated, would you have to register and title it as a car and a boat?

Same thing with those flying cars, how the heck does that work?

I believe with the old postwar ones, they'd register the plane as an experimental aircraft and the car as a kit car. At least, that's how I'd do it with a similar design today.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raw_Beef posted:

Shop procedure for all FoMoCo cars with air-ride from the late 80s through 90s is to pop the trunk and hit the switch turning the air system off. What happens if you dont turn it off? :shrug:
I'm not going to be the guy who found out the hard way. I assume it gives a signal from the level sensor that freaks the leveling computer out, possibly making it overinflate and burst, worst case.

It's actually the opposite! The sensor sees the rear wheels dropping down which it interprets as the car's rear end rising way up, and it fully deflates the airbags to try and bring it back down. Then, when you put the car back on the ground, the now-deflated airbags collapse in on themselves, which combined with the weight of the car pinching down on them usually winds up puncturing them. Turning the switch off seals the valves so they maintain constant inflation.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well obviously they put a flock of sheep in the car to protect the immaculate leather seats.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ironically, looking at it again I'm more drawn to that quoted 6.8 0-60 / 15.3 quarter mile times that put this "testosterone oozing pussy magnet" on par with such monsters as the 1997 V6 Camry or a 2012 Chrysler 200 Limited, or a 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS.

Hahaha my car is faster than that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Honestly, with the right suspension (springs and dampers especially) FWD cars are fine for spirited driving, even motorsport stuff. The only thing they categorically cannot do is proper drifting, i.e. sustained powerslides.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

General_Failure posted:

That's it. It kind of sort of reminds me of one of the later 929s with the 4 pot motor. Except I know even they had nice big rectangular headlights.

Straight up I think the hosed up lights and bumpers on so many cars exported to the U.S. look horrible. They weren't designed to look that way and it shows. The '60s mercs with their ovaloid lights look like a spider in U.S. mode.

Hell, even some domestics weren't immune:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So one of my old classmates is selling his old mustang. http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3647891902.html

My automotive ADD is itching. I know it'll handle like poo poo, and likely take a bit of work to get running, let alone make any decent power, and yet...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maybe you should ask your doctor who he bought his from.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iv46vi posted:

Not sure if gold:
10AE Miata extremely loved

the list goes on

Actual MSMs aren't even worth that much. Hell, you could probably get an MS3 for under 10. Also, the Mazdaspeed Miata was a 1-year special in 2004, and it was turbocharged.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tai-Pan posted:

Exactly no fun was had in that car.

*Insert joke about dour German sensibilities here*

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's also NA so take that as you will.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just throw the spare on.

If it hasn't rusted away, that is.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sports car? poo poo, a modern Camry accelerates and handles better than that pig.

Even the 4-banger models.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DrPain posted:

So I got hosed out of this truck last night:

5 digit odometer? My truck's a 91 and it has 6 digits. What the hell Ford. Wonder if it rolled over.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That was a Dodge. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"Project cars" are great.

9 grand asking price!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3879543392.html

I especially like the pearlescent orange transmission that appears to be just resting on a cross brace.

Pham Nuwen posted:

They really ought to just rename it to "loving delusional people advertisements dot com". I see this poo poo so much. Oh, great, a rusted-out 72 Mustang chassis for $5000. There's a running, non-rusty 66 Mustang down the road from me asking $4200 and it still hasn't sold.

How about a 65 for $15,500?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3919272701.html

Who doesn't want to pay 15 grand for a thrashed J-body?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3836198050.html

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 10, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Went and edited pics into my post.

Octopus Magic posted:

The only problem is that you'd still be driving a J Body.

It could be a Cavalier body dropped onto a V8 Atom frame and that would still be reason enough to pass on it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Citycop posted:

I just bought this 75 Celica GT for $1100 loving dollars. Thread coming when I can get the time.

Are you making GBS threads me look how pristine that thing is. Good on you for grabbing it, looking forward to the thread. You gonna restore it to bone stock, or do some Fuzzkill poo poo?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I would love a post-facelift C4 with an LS swap.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PT Cruiser styling on something like a Durango chassis would have been fantastic. I think that's what a lot of people pictured in their heads, hence the disappointment when it came out and it was a rebodied Neon.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Friar Zucchini posted:

I just sorta lump them all into two groups: the rednecks, with dumb lifts and huge tires, and the ricers, with dumb coilovers and tiny tires. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VideoTapir posted:

Ask him "Subaru, or Porsche?"

Corvair. :smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

animeliker posted:

You're spending north of 10k for a good GT-R, luckily the GT-R has gotten so expensive it's getting out of reach of dipshits. However, I'm not really sure why anyone would want a GTS-T or GTS4 (if you live in a LHD country, that is)....surely there a LHD options that would be better. They are still great cars but I think the money could be better spent on an RX-7, Z-car, EVO etc.

Well looking at bang-for-buck it's hard to beat the old standby of the Corvette (even an early C5 is still balls quick), but if you're looking at GT-Rs already aesthetics certainly play into it; some people just want the Skyline look for cheap.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tai-Pan posted:

No, you can easily import a car for parts, but it better not be in one piece. My father-in-law helped run a shop that did this. They bought cars and either had the engines removed or just had the front clip sliced of and shipped over from Japan.

As far as I've read, this is the easiest way to get a street-legal "Skyline" in the US, import two halves of one and swap the functional bits over to an aftermarket shell (I think there's a company in South Africa that produces them) that you can then register as a "kit car". Fully legal since the actual car body never had a Nissan VIN.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Reading that, it sounds like they were importing original Nissan bodies from Japan, which was the issue since that makes them actual factory-built cars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

"the car has absolutely no body" and also doesn't have a drivetrain... :confused:

I imagine he means "body damage", although the primer grey fenders don't do much to inspire confidence in that claim.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Budget Monty posted:

It appears to be some kind of automatic with 2 sticks and a clutch pedal? Someone mind explaining how all that works?

wiki posted:

The "Twin stick" was a three-speed manual transmission, operated by one of the two console mounted "sticks" with manual overdrive available in 2nd and 3rd gears giving the driver five forward gears. The overdrive selection was made by the second console mounted "stick."

So it's like a little babby truck transmission. :3:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

TWSS posted:

Pretty surprised it has an american flag and not the confederate.

Well, who wants the Civil War Runner-Up award painted on their car, when you can represent the World Champions instead? :smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah, that looks legit. NASCAR teams usually build a bunch of cars for each track/testing purposes, as spares or to test a new setup or whatever. If they don't work out or aren't used, they tend to sell them off for shockingly low prices. The school I went to had dozens of old NASCAR cars, most in full race trim, picked up for a pittance or donated. One was only half a second from qualifying for the Daytona 500, so they just wrote off the whole car.

Also if it is an oval car than driving it on the street is going to be a pain in the rear end, and converting it to a road-course setup isn't just swapping parts, the entire front clip of the chassis is different.

Hell, don't they have different wheelbases side to side? The rear axle likes to push left too, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VideoTapir posted:

Here's a better question; could you pass OBD tests while polluting like a motherfucker?

I've got a 3-inch catless exhaust on my Protege. Slap a $2 spacer on the rear O2 sensor, never have a CEL. :smug: :smog:

Of course, the soot that builds up on the rear bumper may be a bit of a giveaway, but hey, that can be washed off.