Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
More Ebay gold!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-Honda-Prelude-SI-B20-Custom_W0QQitemZ230456258015QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item35a8436ddf

1990 Honda Prelude custom PRO STREET IMPORT :smug:

:v: No way guys, this isn't an old Prelude with the top hacked off, it's a CUSTOM OPEN AIR ROADSTER, god

And he inexplicably listed a VIN from a 1993 240sx with 235k miles on it :psyduck:

To be fair, the suspension, wheels, and tires (and motor, assuming it was done right) are worth the $500 opening bid, and the paint is actually decent / non-tacky. Despite this thing probably being hilariously unsafe due to the roof being cut off (and almost certain lack of additional chassis bracing), I'd drive the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

ab0z posted:

It means some idiot has been messing around with the engine and you should stay far away.

Also...

quote:

needs new back tires

:ms:

EDIT: New page content!
Baja golf cart :clint:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/1657163024.html

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 6, 2010

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

K-On! Season 2 posted:

Click here for the full 942x1517 image.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1688838086.html

$35k for a 2001 5 series that isn't an m5.

Every time I see something like this, I wanna give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume it's a dummy sale to appease a harpy bitch wife.

:byodame:DID YOU SELL THAT loving AWFUL CAR YET, YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO GET A MINIVAN SO WE CAN CARRY THE DOG TO GRANDMA'S AND LISA NEEDS BRACES AND IT GUZZLES GAS AND I HATE IT SO MUCH OH GOD

:clint: Uh, yeah, I posted an ad for it, economy's tough right now, nobody's buying. I'm trying honey, really!

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Nope. I think the last 2 or 3 years were, but by then Subaru had pretty much given up FWD in North America.

Correct. They sold them in MY 1992 - 1997 in North America, but the only years you could get an SVX in FWD were '94-95.

I will actually have a black AWD '92 with a gear ratio upgrade for sale in probably 4-5 months, if all goes as planned. Probably gonna ask ~$1k for it.

EDIT: That ~20k mile '97 posted above is a rare find indeed. They only made / sold 640 '97 SVXs in NA, and it was the final year of production. The low total production / newest available model year combo alone makes the '97s quite sought after (as the SVX goes, anyway) and the low mileage / condition of that particular one makes it especially valuable. Plus, the '97s came with a '97-only grille that most think looks better than the "waterfall" grille that came on all other model years. It is the first thing to be sold in the rare event a '97 gets parted out. I went ahead and cross-posted that to an SVX board, since stuff like this doesn't come along very often.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 14, 2010

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

I'm probably going to make a 1-time offer to that lot tomorrow for it. If they bite, I'll take it. If not, I'll probably have a new legacy in my driveway later this summer. Comparable? No. Make sense? No. Do I want it. Yeah. Don't ask me why.

Good luck. Just know that that car is what would typically be considered by many to be "overpriced" for what it is, as an SVX in really nice condition can be had for about $4k - $6k (in the US - I know used car prices in Canada are generally higher overall). Of course - given the stupidly low mileage, desirable MY, and excellent overall shape of that particular car, conventional SVX pricing may not apply at this point. Finding something comparable to that for sale elsewhere would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) which gives them free rein to ask pretty much whatever they want for it. If it's been sitting around awhile though, they may be willing to deal just to move it.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
ohmygod, someone stop me from buying this. :ohdear: I know it's a horrible stupid idea, and these are regarded as moneypit poo poo cars by almost everyone but they're loving awesome and V12 and I've always wanted one and $800 ohfuckohfuckohfuck :derp:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/1720946369.html

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

For $800? gently caress, I'd part it out for that. Go for it
if you're a masochist

InitialDave posted:

Ah, gently caress it, just buy it. I would. What's the worst that could happen?

Rogz posted:

^^^ Epic project thread!

Sh4 posted:

This is the car I think about when someone mention "moneypit", seriously you can throw wads of cash at it and it will never run right

trouser chili posted:

Pretty drat sure that's a GM transmission behind the lump. A lot of guys dump the complex, failure prone and underpowered v12 for a SBC. Personally I think a LQ4 would be a hot setup.

sadnessboner posted:

Nothing sorts out an old jaguar quite as cheaply as an SBC swap

You Am I posted:

Put a 327 under it and you can still keep the 5.3lt badges on the back :)

WTF guys, I asked for you guys to talk me out of it. :colbert: What the gently caress is this poo poo?

I emailed about it. :sigh: Even though I have 4 cars here already and zero space for another. I will be so pissed at myself if I end up buying this

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Moruitelda posted:

I was both being facetious and making fun of how little power that engine makes. A high output V6 or a modern V8 would be fine. :(

I'm now having thoughts about getting it and doing an LSx swap :flashfap: Of course, then I'd need a donor LSx car and a conversion kit, plus lots of time / space to do it. Which is just not realistic right now. If I ever get my house with big huge garage / barn and no neighbors to bitch about everything, however... :sigh:

The guy hasn't responded to my email anyways, which is probably a good thing.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

So what do you do about climate control, lights, suspension, things like that, without changing (the positive aspects of) the character of the car?

All of these things should be relatively unchanged - engine, ECM, and other associated electronics should operate pretty much independently of the body control stuff. I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that the LSx ECU has a link to the transmission computer that must be functional in order for things to work right (which may be a problem in a swap like this). I doubt the car's existing electronics are sophisticated enough to have something like this. Not sure if it would be possible to swap in a GM transmission (and associated electronics) as well so as to preserve the link, or run an LS motor independent of the transmission, etc. I will admit that I haven't researched any of this at all. I'm almost sure an SBC conversion kit is still produced for these cars, not so sure about an LSx kit.

Assuming the motor could be made to work, the only other thing you listed that may be a problem would be the suspension - not sure of the exact weight diff between the cast iron (?) V12 and the aluminum LS motor, although I bet I know which one is a fuckton heavier. The front springs at least would almost certainly have to be swapped out, or the front of the car would sit like a 4x4 and look retarded. I bet the lighter LS motor would improve the balance too. Not that you'd notice all that much in a car like that, but still.

I think it would be a fun and worthwhile long-term project at least v:shobon:v

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

That isn't what I mean. I mean aren't you going to have to replace those, too, if you're looking for reliability?

As far as I know, most of the reliability horror stories about those arise from the V12 and associated electronics. Any other things I'd get after as the need arose. I wouldn't go preemptively rewiring a ton of stuff just because, although I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Not too much can be done to replace / upgrade things integral to the vehicle itself like the climate control, window regulators, etc. One good thing is that (I think) the car is old enough to not have a ton of body control computers and other failure prone electronics in it.

As long as it runs reliably, the other stuff could be taken care of as needed.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Can't spell 'new,' selling a beat up 3rd gen for $5k, and causes one to run out of breath trying to read the ad:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/1760974005.html

On what planet is that considered "beat up"? It looks to be in really good shape in the pics, and has 57k miles on it (if the seller is to be trusted, of course). I'd say that's in drat nice shape for a 25 year old Chevy. Especially for a 3rd gen F-body, which usually tend to take the term "beat up" to whole new levels. There are some truly horrid examples out there.

*EDIT: ugly wheels though.

Doctor Zero posted:

Ah yes. Good ol' "it only needs a couple $50 parts and it's so easy to fix but I'm so busy I can't be bothered" routine.

Normally I'd agree, but the things he listed actually are really easy / cheap fixes. Speedo cable, horn, possibly carb and battery. You could do all of that in a single afternoon.

The stock 305 may suck rear end, but it's an SBC. You could trade a sixpack for a tree fiddy and drop that in there after you fix all the fiddly poo poo he listed as being wrong with it.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 28, 2010

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Today here in Florida I saw one of these (that bright orange color) on the side of the highway. They sure look cool but seeing one like that scares me so, considering the reputation.

I had one of these. It was awesome, but oh god. I still want to get another someday, but keeping the one I had going was a full-time job that I just didn't have the free time / wrenching space for. Fun project car, since poo poo was always breaking though.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It's certainly better than average, but I would expect pristine (which I guess can't be gauge off of 2 pictures) for $5000

Well, I would agree there. It better be drat nice for $5k. I've seen very nice 3rd gens go for upwards of that. Although, I don't know if I'd ever describe that particular car as "beat up" even with only the small pics to go by. Especially given some I've seen.

quote:

But then it seems super lazy that he couldn't do that before posting the ad, and fixing on the day that he's showing it.

True, but some people just don't have the time / motivation to fix poo poo, and just want the car gone. It may be just that - the seller is lazy. Or maybe he has other projects he'd rather work on or something. If that truly is all that's wrong, it seems as if that may be the case here. All of those things can be done with basic hand tools in your driveway.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Q_res posted:

That has to be a joke. Right?

Haha, I wish this was how it worked.

HI, I HAVE 1989 PRELUDE
AUTO
RED
129K MILES

LOOKING TO TRADE STRAIGHT UP FOR ACURA NSX, ANY YEAR
BLUE PREFERRED, BUT IF IT'S ANOTHER COLOR THAT'S STILL COOL, YOU JUST THROW CASH IN TOO
MUST HAVE LOW MILES

NO JOY RIDERS :argh:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Want. I am strange / a masochist.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/1829357998.html

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Stemmler posted:

Only problem with this add is it's not an LT1. It's a TBI 350, still a good engine and a good car. LT1 wasn't an option till 94 and the pic is a TBI.

LT1? Doesn't specify...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/1829931093.html

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

radikewlism posted:

gently caress my life. It got up to 1275 before it ended, which was just out of my price range. I hate life, I hate everything. Thanks anyway goons, it woulda been amazing if I could have got it.

Chin up buddy :glomp: There's currently a '91 Roadmaster wagon in Bayonne, NJ for $900 on CL...

quote:

1991 Buick roadmaster stationwagon.128 K miles .Runs very good.If interested call

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1782152279.html

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Moruitelda posted:

I hate it when people say "CORVETTE ENGINE!" I assume they mean LS1. But they could mean LT1, LS7, and one of a handful of other motors that have been in the car over the last 50 years.

That car has a SBC 350 TPI motor in it. This was what they put in the 'Vette prior to the LT1 (which came before the LS motors). I'm not sure exactly what year Vettes got it, but this engine also went into the top trim F-body (not including the '89 TTA, Firehawk, or any other oddballs I may be forgetting) between 1985-1992. The 350 version made about 235HP stock in the F-cars, not sure if that was bumped up at all in the Vette. There was also a 305 version using the same intake / injection system that made about 215hp.

In other words, this swap will greatly bump up the reliability of that old Jag, but it won't exactly be a screamer.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

trouser chili posted:

God I hate it when people post poo poo up for $1 when they really mean "make me an offer".

Or the loving dealers who list the per-month lease price in the heading? A transparent ploy to lure in poor financial morons shopping for beaters, while at the same time clogging the legit car ads with garbage. God dammit, I hate scummy CL car dealers.

:haw: Holy poo poo, why should I get an '88 Camry with 300k miles on it when I can get a 2009 Escalade for the same price! gently caress, I got 600 dollars! Let some other sucker buy that Camry, I'ma get me a Escalade :smug:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Cpaka posted:

Here is a pretty sweet Camero you guys.

Click here for the full 1196x979 image.

:c00l:

Am I broken if I really like this? :ohdear: Well, minus the godawful bling wheels at least, and I probably would have done something different with the interior, but still.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

trouser chili posted:

I couldn't either, and apparently I'm wrong. It's closer to four years. Maybe four and a half. Anyway, can anyone tell me why my craigslist ad is not showing up? I mean it works if you click the link, but if you click vehicles for sale, it doesn't show in the list, nor will it show in a search. My craigslist account after login shows it's green, which is supposed to mean it's published.

In my experience, it takes FOREVER for ads to show up on CL after they are "published". Like an hour or two. Ever been going through listings, and see like 3 - 5 similarly-worded ads in a row for the same car? ...yeah.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Who wants a project? :v:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

AGGH, WHY MUST YOU POST STUFF LIKE THIS, DAMNIT :argh:

Despite my already having 4 cars here (that I really don't have space for), an '89 XJS V12 came up on my local CL a few months back for $900 running. I think I posted it here, actually. If that guy had ever emailed me back, I probably would have ended up with it, along with all of the headaches and financial ruin that only a 20+ year old V12 Jaguar can deliver. And, I would have been adding yet another horribly impractical / useless 2 door coupe to the mix. :suicide: My thought process on buying real cars is like a drat 7 year old picking out Matchbox cars at Toys R Us. :sigh:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I realised I forgot the link to that. In your situation, I'm just going to leave this right here and let you decide (get it)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2015221541.html

I think I'm safe here, since that car is like 2,000+ miles from me. Seeing stuff like this just makes me want to hit up the CL-within-100-miles-because-that's-as-far as-AAA-goes ads and go looking again though. My CL always seems to turn up at least a couple gems.

Fake edit: Like this one. Oh god, it's beautiful and already has a swap done, holyfuck, goddamnit this is why I don't do this anymore, gently caress

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Did the 740 have the Nikasil problem?

Everything using the M60 V8 did. 540, 740, 840. So, yes, although if a Nikasil engine hasn't shown any problems yet, it isn't going to. The US gas (which was at the heart of the problems) was fixed years ago.

That said...how little financial sense can one person possess? This is mind boggling. :psyduck:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/2034363400.html

:quagmire: '99 Durango, BJ edition

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/2033547384.html

:siren:RARE:siren: 1995 CAVALIER. ONLY NEED'S NEW TRANSMISSION. TOW THIS BEAUTY AWAY TODAY FOR ONLY $800!

And finally...some actual gold? Looks pretty nice for $400.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/2033730024.html

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Would you be willing to take a look at it? I need a good cheap car, but it's a long hike from Philly. If it checks out great, I could give you some sort of finder's fee.

I don't think I can. :( Queens is a good 30 miles from me, and I work during the day Monday through Friday. There's no way I'd be able to get out there during the week without missing work. I googled the number in the ad, and it turns out this guy's got a few other ads running (example) that say the shop isn't open on the weekends. Maybe there's someone more local that can do it?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

The funniest ad I've ever seen on CL:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2038875609.html

Craigslist Retard posted:

asdlkgasjld kvj;aosdfuyq98532isd97rq351oeif;osdua51-0u35r[asdgadkutqp8435n qidejp90ad78rpq395qpwhf kasdfjhpqwo3481p12u;ad;oyi3pqjhefjnasdfap07r1-8351-718275-qwdfknzc;vlnzlxvkhz;dgiype8tq-39751834797-1939oqjzpiaye58138163956792rh;ksd;fhcmzvclfoip98y6573517-513y9rqij;asnv,xvhlisupq8y1upoij ,zxndiptiu75[0[qasdiutq09435713-51928340r9aqsjd;flk nmcxv,nzx,cvzlkcufaietu7q-8571-271-82u75oqiwjf;lkmvczkhdofajdvbnhmukymrtudsaetiyq859670q912ebfyaosjdfvnwe8512uradsvchldoadyq9w5ypqoeja sdovkjnazc;v.kjpoauiydsgp9eaywq8732p5913p5oirhaqowde;kjsxcnfzadfiueyr1i342pq1eas.fnask,fnz,vmzndkfhewut81y3571yp3591p2935ypqow ed.kasj.jadk ashlfadlasiuepqiahdspogatwyuep9578q3p[1j2or3knma;sldkfn;jakxv;sdls'bggnukli

This man has much to learn about the concept of keyword spamming :rolleye:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

another loser posted:

Government seized Countach for sale:
http://crownassets.pwgsc.gc.ca/mn-e...est=1#topOfCADC

Holyfuck, those bumpers :gonk:
This needs to go in the stupid poo poo thread. :colbert: Or maybe we could make a new one. You put WHAT on your car? Stupid poo poo the goddamn US 5mph bumper regulations made you put on your cars

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

It isn't just "OMG US market bumpers," those are spectacularly bad even compared to their peers.

It seems exotics got it the worst. The Maserati Khamsin got poo poo on pretty badly as well. :(

I mean, holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

It looks rough with all that flash.

Also, I prefer the saddle interior color on Countach's and Testarossa's with red paint. Not that I'd turn this one down, but I think they look much better.

edit

Here's a Maserati Biturbo for cheap if anyone wants to tear the engine apart.

Click here for the full 1254x1571 image.

If I had the space and was closer, I'd be emailing about this right now. Serious.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Muffinpox posted:

When I worked at a BMW/Acura dealership, their master tech said the best way to find a good German car mechanic was look for a shop with a running 850i out front. Oddly enough, last year I found a really good mechanic for my S4 and one time when I brought my car in, he had a freshly fixed 850Csi someone had brought in.

Troubleshooting these really isn't that bad. The nice part about the M70 V12 is that it is built and managed like 2 I6s joined at the crank - there's two of everything, including ECMs. Got a problem with one bank? Start swapping sensors over. If the problem follows the thing you just changed, bam, you found the cause. Can't really do that with other engines. Common V12 trouble spots and symptoms are all over the 8 series forums, and there are write ups on how to do just about everything. There is nothing about these motors that make them special - they are an old design, not really any fancy tech or electronics involved. This motor was first used in the 7 series in the late '80s. Their biggest claim to fame is that they are IIRC BMW's first attempt at drive-by-wire. Mine has a V8 though, which I prefer - although, if I ever move to a place with more room and have the itch to buy another, I'd like to get one of the V12 cars to play with.

The cars are loaded up with early - mid '90s electronics though. There are computers and modules for just about everything. I had a seat control module fail on mine last year - the logic somehow got scrambled so that the seat controls worked in reverse. :wtc: Lots of the electrical gremlins you hear about in the 8 series can be traced back to old / dying batteries. Maintaining good batteries is absolutely critical with these, as old batteries can cause all sorts of wacky electronic behavior that most people wouldn't think could be caused by a stupid battery. If you're not familiar with this quirk of these cars, you might start throwing (expensive) parts at it which won't fix the problem. This alone has probably caused lots of people (and mechanics) to dismiss it as an "unreliable, unfixable piece of poo poo."

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Does a dying (or just anything-less-than perfect?) battery cause permanent damage, or is it something that is fixed when the battery is replaced?

999/1000 times the problems go away once the batteries are replaced. That said, there is some speculation that dying batteries may cause permanent damage in certain cases. I have a feeling this is what hosed up my seat computer. I had let the batteries go flat over the winter, as I had the car apart to work on it and got caught in the cold. I resumed the project in the spring, and tried moving the seat when the batteries were still really low - this is when I noticed that the controls were reversed (it was fine when I had started working on it). The seat never worked right after that, until I replaced that module. Could have been coincidence, but I don't know.

Content:
No pic, but maybe actual gold? '90 E30 vert, 55,000 miles, broken timing belt. $1000.
http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2070931812.html

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Jorsh posted:

Ugh no. $500. A 55,000 mile bent valve is still a bent valve.

Right, but I'd rather have a 55k mile car needing a rebuilt engine than a running 200k mile car with who-knows-what kind of history on it...and the no rust thing is a pretty big deal for a 20 year old car up here in the land of salt. I figure he could probably be talked down at least a couple hundred as well. Would be an excellent starting point for a project.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

EvellSnoats posted:

I love a college town. Kids with their great expectations.

http://northmiss.craigslist.org/cto/2227444809.html

1981 "cheverlet" impala station wagon with no A/C (IN MISSISSIPPI) sagging headliner, no stereo, oil leaks and needs a new windshield to pass inspection, he won't take less than $3,300. I bet if I offered him $500 he would take it.

Well, he obviously needs the money for tuition. :colbert: This guy sounds like he needs all the help he can get.

Also,

quote:

The only reason I'm letting this car go is that I want a car older than this one so my insurance rates will drop I have a bad driving record. NO TIRE KICKERS!!!!

I'm not sure he's thought this through. I can't think of anything that would be cheaper to insure than a 30 year old Chevy station wagon. :psyduck: AND NO TIRE KICKERS GODDAMNIT DREAMERS KEEP WALKING :argh:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

einTier posted:

I can just hear him yelling at me now.

I love this. The only thing he doesn't "shout" is the one thing he lists as being wrong with it.

:corsair: HEY I KNOW, I'LL JUST PUT THE BAD poo poo IN SMALLER TYPE SO NOBODY WILL SEE IT

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

HiggyBaby posted:

Why might it need repairs? Are the damages related to her death?

It says "Happy Retirement". :toot: I assume the 1969 - 2004 is this person's working years, although it is kind of weird that they wrote it that way.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

Really not too bad. Shame about the paint job though.

I would drive that everywhere with the paint just like it is. :colbert:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
:psyduck: I can't make any sense of the gibberish this moron put as the ad copy, but the car looks interesting at least.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2335956810.html

This looks loving awesome for $575. Oh, to have more space, time, and money...

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2334363377.html

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Awesome. Complete with :krad: TURBO decals! Want so very badly :(

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2377279488.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

el topo posted:

There's no way that's not a joke. I'm guessing the guy put this together from 2 salvage vehicles and he figured that since he can't sell it for a decent price he might as well just troll people with it.

HUGE HORSEPOWERS