Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Cheap Bourbon posted:

Aside from the negative juu-juu, sign me up (but its already sold), besides, juu-juu never travels more than 50 miles, right, right???

That's only for juju under its own power. This juju has a vehicle and is therefore more mobile than your standard juju. What if the bad juju figures out where your brake lines are? I wouldn't risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul
So, I just searched my local Craigslist autos section for "invested." Here is a sampling from just the first handful of results:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1823797897.html

Click here for the full 1604x412 image.

No mileage, no photo, no description of condition, makes mad "hourse" power. 3x Blue Book FIRM, don't email me, scumbag.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1822142728.html

Click here for the full 1604x760 image.

OK, I know the car is going on 14-model-years-old and it's been driven most of the way to the moon, but it's a southern car. I'm going to do you a favor, I'll charge you twice the blue book value, which is only half of what I paid for it thirteen years ago. See? I met you in the middle.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1799083071.html

Click here for the full 1604x434 image.

Come on, $14,000 for a 1997 Honda Civic with 86,000 miles, really? Those things were like $14k new, weren't they? How do you even invest $25,000 in a Civic? What's the conversion factor, here? How much does each (claimed) appearance in a magazine add to the re-sale value? Also, no picture.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

frozenphil posted:

Depending on if the car is actually "clean and rust free" or not, that's a completely reasonable price that is very much inline with the market for foxbody Mustangs. I wouldn't doubt 425hp from a 347 stroker either. In fact, the only way you couldn't make that power with a 347 is if you used the stock heads and intake, and even then you're at 375hp.

Yeah he used "invested", posted no pictures, didn't really give any meaningful information about the car, and doesn't respond to emails, but there's nothing outrageous about his asking price or horsepower claims based on the limited information in that ad.

It's not the price alone, it's everything else you said about the ad. Come on, you're dictating "firm" prices, refusing to answer emails, and telling nothing about the car except for unsubstantiated horsepower claims and that it's "rust free," and you can't even be bothered to post a picture? The guy is acting like he's got the Mona Lisa and and you're lucky he listed it, much less responds to your inquiries. Pictures? gently caress you, this thing makes FOUR HUNNERT HOURSEPOWERS.

Also, here in Cleveland, I routinely see cars of similar vintage making similar claim for $5k-$6k, and some of them even post pictures and respond to emails. These aren't exactly the glory years for disposable income in northeast Ohio.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Cpaka posted:

That's pretty much par for the course in Miami.

Yep, I immediately thought, "Miami." Then I looked up and saw Kendall, so, yeah... Miami.

Cheap Bourbon posted:

Sheez now I feel bad. I'm not bi-lingual unless you count "Appalachian-American" and English as two separate tongues.

You'll feel even worse when you try to get a job at McDonalds and realize the other twelve applicants speak a minimum of two languages.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Jorsh posted:

gaaah it's swamp thing

It's a Craigslist listing of purest green.

It's funny if you get the reference. Or, maybe it isn't.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

trouser chili posted:

Click the Craigslist link for the Challenger. After being inundated with calls, the seller realized his mistake and changed the listing to $75,000.

He's haggling with himself. After a little more back-and-forth, he and himself will settle on $37,500, and he'll drive off in his new car to spend his newfound riches, and he and he both win.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

RealKyleH posted:

Everyone needs to click read more questions and answers.

Excerpt:

Holy poo poo. That guy's writing reminds me a lot of Mil Millington's. Is there a Pulitzer Prize for eBay auctions?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Mighty Horse posted:

If it was anything like my '84 I used to have, about 70MPH.

What is all this ridiculous hate? My first car was a 1988 Buick Skylark Limited and it was awesome. I liked the way the car looked, the digital dashboard was awesome, and the car was very comfortable. The Quad-4 engine was peppy as heck, and I had that car up to 116mph before what I assume was the electronic governor kicked in.

I loved that car.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Black88GTA posted:

I think I'm safe here, since that car is like 2,000+ miles from me. Seeing stuff like this just makes me want to hit up the CL-within-100-miles-because-that's-as-far as-AAA-goes ads and go looking again though. My CL always seems to turn up at least a couple gems.

Whoa, either I'm suffering another bout of exploding head syndrome, or my mind was just actually blown. This is a mighty clever way to get some usage from a Triple-A membership.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul
Does this bike grant wishes or something?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

ursa_minor posted:

Hahha, just imagine this exact scene, but with your Dad riding it.

http://youtu.be/tIe0m4X94sQ

Hah, cute. My dad did, in fact, own and ride several Shadows during my youth.

Sir Tonk posted:

Wow I've got an '83 VT500, I need to cash in on my classic bike goldmine!

Tell me about it. I'm willing to write off the price in the title as a typo, but the price in the ad... I think he's serious about that one.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Aceshighxxx posted:

Truly a God among bros:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978...eba4a2678#v4-43

What am I missing between "EST 900HP on E85 Fuel" and "Truck is Dyno tuned to run on E85 Ethanol Fuel. 550 RWHP 540 RWTQ?" I assume he is not bragging about 40% drivetrain loss, there.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Centripetal Horse posted:

Does this bike grant wishes or something?

Update: This bike is still being listed, although he is down to $4,500. A quick search for 1986 Shadow VT1100s shows prices in the $1,400 - $2,000 range. This guy is a trip. At the current rate of depreciation, I figure it's about two years until the price comes in line with reality.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul
A "28 YEAR OLD NEW CAR..." for only $12,000.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Pham Nuwen posted:

You know what should be a hanging offence? Filling your (already lovely) craigslist post with "keywords" at the bottom, like so:

I don't know, it's balanced by the hilarity of "NO SCAMMERS!" Surely, a stern warning is all it takes. Imagine the myriad uses:
"NO MURDER!"
"NO CHILD MOLESTATION!"
"NO FIDUCIARY MISCONDUCT!"

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Oh god, don't even get me started. I just have to spend 3 years here for work, then I am either moving to Minneapolis or possibly Dallas. This town really sucks.

I know Minneapolis isn't exactly Hooterville, but this still reads funny, to me: "Holy poo poo do I hate Omaha. gently caress this, I'm moving to Minnesota."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

That'll keep 'em from questioning your sexual orientation.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Citycop posted:

I think I have a problem with buying cars because I actually considered this for a whole 1/2 a minute.

http://waco.craigslist.org/cto/4356787723.html

Man, my buddy had a Ford EXP many years ago, and it was aging, even then. I think it was a 1987. We drove that thing thousands and thousands of wandering miles, just killing time and having fun. My friend would come over on Friday, and we would get in his car and not come back until Saturday Night or even Sunday. In one single sitting, we once went from Cleveland to PA, to West Virginia, to Columbus. That car was fun in the hilly farmland south of Cleveland in places like Hinckley. We wandered into the Ohio Valley, which is so beautiful and perfect that it doesn't even seem real, and we wandered into little backwoods townships, like Marlboro, OH. It wasn't even my car, and I have a lot of nostalgia about it. We'd just pick random directions and go, and we had so much fun.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Dannywilson posted:

It NEEDS to be an auto. Seriously, My '82 crown vic was the king of road trips, it's basically sitting on a couch being as comfortable as possible and your input needs to be as little as possible for the car to do its thing. It's the bass boat of cars.

E: on the run between OKC and Austin when I would go down to visit friends, my hand would move maybe 2"/hour past about 8pm. Just long drifting highways and the smoothest car I've ever driven.

I spent a lot of hours in my buddy's 1985 Ford LTD. You could steer that thing with one fingertip resting gently on the wheel. It was also surprisingly quiet. We did a lot of things that required flooring it to leave the immediate area (kids), and it never got above a modest "bzzzzt..." noise under acceleration.

Also, in an incident that is probably not funny in text, but was painfully funny in real life, I was poking around in the glove box and popped the trunk in traffic while going through a not-very-nice part of East Cleveland. You could hear the "Errrrrrrrk" noise in the cabin as the trunk slowwwwly opened while we rolled along.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

I put the over/under on my death at 48 hours if I get my hands on the snowmobuggy. They'll find me at the bottom of a snowy ravine, with one clenched fist out the window, a poo poo-eating grin on my face, and my foot shoved right through the floorboard.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Tai-Pan posted:

It always makes me a bit misty eyed, when someone goes bonkers doing an incredible job on a relatively unloved car and assumes everyone will share their passion (and price)
http://victoriatx.craigslist.org/cto/4918213298.html

That car is gorgeous. Even if it's as good as it looks in the ad, $40,000 has got to be at least 50% more than he could ever hope to get, right?

Also, the Lamboero is surprisingly not-poo poo-looking as far as those things go, until he opens the engine bay.

I said it years ago in this thread, and I still believe it's true: "invested" is by far the best search term you can use in the Craigslist autos section.

Haha, Chrome doesn't put a red squiggly line under Craigslist.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Faded Mars posted:

"Invested" does bring up lots of results. But aren't these the same people with unrealistically high asking prices who won't be bargained down and who will instead relist the car month after month without budging on price? Well, maybe they'll add "OBO" but will follow it with notes about NO LOWBALLERS and I KNOW HOW MUCH THIS IS WORTH kind of stuff.

Yes, they are. I think you might have misunderstood my point. I did not mean, "best," as in, "the best deals." I meant, "best," as in, "most hilariously unrealistic."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Sir Tonk posted:

You know what screams hot rod to me? The interior, transmission and engine from a minivan.

The Prowler might be the most embarrassing car ever made.

I seem to remember thinking they were pretty sweet for about a week after they came out. Nightman (the saxophone player, not the rapey uncle) drove one.

There's one that lives in my parking lot. It's the same purple as the Craigslist one, but without the flames.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Gorson posted:

Does he have the eyes of a cat, and does he do karate across the stage?

He wasn't born with cat eyes, but he's got a guy.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

I really, really want to say, "Herbie the mud bug," but that car is clearly meant for dune racing.

Pretend it's a swamp car, and I said, "Herbie the mud bug."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is that one of those rear-facing seats like my (and everybody's) grandmother's old station wagon? I loved those seats.

A good friend of mine got a blowjob in one of those rear-facing wagon seats while his father was driving the car. I sat in that same seat, but all I got was nauseated from exhaust fumes. I should have held my breath for the hour it took us to idle our way out of the jam-packed parking lot following that Billy Graham event.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Pham Nuwen posted:

Pyoo-allup, sounds like "gallop".

Did you happen to found a galaxy-spanning trade culture, then later lead a rebellion against against an expeditionary force from a society whose power lay in the enslavement of human minds?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well, I've definitely worked with enough ancient OS code to consider myself a programmer archaeologist.

I thought you looked familiar.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

kastein posted:

Either CL is doing some hinky poo poo to keep me from searching for that and flagging all of them, or I (and everyone else who doesn't have a foot fetish) flagged them enough to get them deleted. I only flagged two so not sure.

gently caress that guy and everyone else who insists on putting up bullshit on their listings instead of something accurate. You too, "keywords" spammers who just put every make/model/year ever into every listing.

Moey posted:

I flagged 4 of his listings this morning...

A couple of years ago, when I was looking for apartments, the Craigslist pages were packed with bullshit listings that redirected you to paid links for real estate companies, furniture sellers, and brokers. I got so annoyed that I wrote a program which used proxies to flag the gently caress out of the bullshit scam listings. I had cleaned out the garbage within a couple of days. Eventually, Craigslist implemented some measures to stop auto-flagging, but I am pretty sure it can still be done if you have enough proxies in the geographic area you want to target.

I wish I still had the source code.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Great Beer posted:

"Minor damage"

The flat tire is a deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

leica posted:

" HE SAID THEY ARE REPAIRABLE,BUT HE DOES NOT HAVE THE TIME TO REPAIR THE BLOCK. HE IS VERY BUSY BUILDING RACE MOTORS FOR HIS CUSTOMERS."

I feel sorry for his loving customers, Jesus.

Lol, that's the thing that jumped out at me, too. I can just see the guy hunched over block with a grinder in his hands. "Grrrrrrrnnnnnnrgh! Grrrrrrrnnnnnnrgh! Grrrrrrrnnnnnnrgh!" Hole appears, grinding guy stands up. "I could fix that right up, but I'm too busy building racing engines."