Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i think that ciera is worth four grand, fight me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox posted:

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, so go for it if you think it's worth it.

Wife will only let me have 2 cars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh man that Ranger EV is awesome

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my buddy and i have gotten really drunk and mooted a safari-style prowler

i think it would look tight

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah the Howler was basically what the Prowler ought to have been

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you guys know that all of the ATS' competition used turbo four cylinders right

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Whatever you can say about Chrysler, the cheapest engine they have is a 3.6L V6

uhhhhhhhh what

are you just like not counting all the Fiat-derived turbo fours they put in everything under the sun

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it was a cut down Corvette platform plus a lot of cost cutting

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the saturn sky looked legit but man was GM lost about product positioning and brand positioning at that point in time even more so than now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Frond posted:

Saturn was a pointless brand. I never quite understood why the cars weren’t sold under another existing brand like Pontiac.

it wasn't really a pointless brand at the beginning, the whole point was to be anti-gm

sell small, fuel efficient cars that competed directly with honda and toyota
decent dealer experience with no haggle sales model and some other interesting technological and operational innovations

if you had built the first and tried to sell them through the traditional GM dealer it would have failed. it ended up failing eventually anyway, but at the beginning it was pretty cool and good and innovative.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

The coupes are good looking cars (also better because the weird rear end complicated way you fold down the top) at least. I always liked the Saturn version of the car better because it doesn't look like an electric razor up front.

it looks like a safety razor instead xD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I wonder if Toyota got the idea from GM to start the Scion brand

kind of - everyone is trying to get younger buyers in various ways so in that sense its similar

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

scion was the best because they were trying to attract Younger Buyers and after like a year the buyer demos were Buick-esque, like worse than Toyota

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

They make it 90% of the way and piss away the last 10% to make something a success.

this is basically the story of GM in a nutshell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

no. Explorer sales are half of what they were 20 years ago.

even though the nameplate is down SUV/CUV segment is way up

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

Station wagons were dying off (at least around here) long before that.

peak wagon was what, sometime in the 1970s?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Christ, it amazes me how many of these infested cars. Hell they were in Ferraris.

it was essentially a legal requirement in the US for a brief shining moment in time - the feds required passive restraint systems (eg airbag) but for older platforms OEMs were allowed to install automatic seatbelts instead because retrofit was too expensive / time consuming. once airbags become more common they go away.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah they were a truly bad idea

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Also, the US Navy likes to blow up old ships in training exercises.

Not that airplanes are immune to destruction--you can count the number of still-flying B-17s on your two hands.

Lot of planes get cut up or scrapped, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Don't they need new rod bearings around this mileage milestone? And then every bushing, fitting, and piece of plastic replaced? I've never owned one, but have seen plenty of frustrated owners

The ad says it got rod bearings under a recall, and most of the major items have been done. You would probably want an oil analysis every year or so, but the rod bearings wear gradually and don't just break out of the blue. You'll usually see traces in the oil analysis first.

I'd definitely want to run the VIN and check to see if it's a salvage title, since that is a real good price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

How is my post an apologia? it's a known issue, but this car appears to have it taken care of. if it hasn't, you should absolutely budget money for repairs. people talk about it like the engine is gonna fuckin grenade or whatever and you need to have the repair done ASAP - which isn't true, as long as you monitor it and then replace when you start seeing oil analysis results come back bad, you're fine.

source: own E39 which has known rod bearing issues.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BMW Uber Alles people are loving terrible, I can agree with you on that for sure. like most decent companies BMW makes a product that is good at some things, but all products are fundamentally compromises!One of those compromises is that BMWs and in particular M cars are extraordinarily finnicky about maintenance and using the OEM specified consumables, so it's pretty common for people to get dunked on for like, say not using Castrol TWS or whatever for oil. Experience has shown that it's more trouble than it's worth to try to save a buck or two.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

a fiesta is still absurdly safe compared to like an E30 or a CR-X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

taqueso posted:

12-cylinder mega-block metro when?

X-12 engine baby

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it didnt sell tho

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i had recalled the original crossfire concept being kinda out there with the split windshield but looking at it a lot of the themes made it to production fairly intact. that was a weird time period.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Someone forgot to tell him that you should replace the CAD with actual metal when you are done. :/

Seriously though, why? I get it's fun to fabricate etc, but it will end up like this in 99.9% of cases. Even if it's done it'll look like poo poo.

vision exceeds capabilities and dedication

and or drugs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i guarantee you that car won't pass smog in CA

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

IIRC it was aftermarket, but not just some guy chopping off the roof. It was a legit, if short lived conversion.

Usually if part of the top of the car is missing or altered it's ASC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i cannot decide whether the tree fiddy is good or not

upside: its more reliable and parts are available
downside: po bodge job and also it's not nearly as cool

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it might not lose value but i think your total running costs are likely to be somewhat high

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i always thought of them as a working mans e24 but same deal basically

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

early JATCO CVT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

IMO bringing up a CVT is cheating.

Yeah it's probably not fair.

Ill throw in another Subaru / JATCO turd - the 4EAT.