Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

AHAHAHAA Hold on, I have to wipe a tear from my eye. "Salvage title at 12000 mile ... guess is due to how New and the cost" Please tell me people don't fall for this kind of crap. I'm sure they wrote off a new car because it had almost no damage :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

E: ^well that kind of puts a damper on the fun, one wheel peels errywhere I guess.

TWSS posted:

How would an FWD with a welded diff handle outside of rocketing in straight lines?

Center diff is welded to convert it to fwd since he used an awd trans. Front diff is a limited slip. Similar Fuckery is done with Subaru's to convert them to rwd.

Was really hoping it had an awd conversation, but as is it would seem like a fun hooning car, useless for everything else I suppose, but would definitely make a few people scratch their heads and think "WTF?"

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 11, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh my. Look at that paint match on the doors, quarters, and front bumper. I've always wondered, the people with terribly modded cars (other than those doing it as a parody or high effort 'art' cars) take pride in their cars, is there any self awareness with regards to really half rear end-ed work? They have to right, they have to genuinely think it looks better after their customization?

720 bourse power = bhp + max manufacturers claim for whatever junk is thrown on there? or just straight up pulled out of the ether?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mighty Horse posted:

Why does it have a programmer if it has carbs?

From a quick look around, it looks like EDGE makes various gauges. My guess it's one of those aftermarket gauge clusters, possibly just an LCD screen that you can program various sensors to, i.e. water temp, oil temp, boost, speed, rpm, etc.

That's my best guess.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

He says the headgaskets were replaced with the "turbo" gaskets, does that really help at all?

In a sense, yeah. The old style head gaskets are known for causing issues, either blowing early or around the 100k mark (although contaminated or wrong coolant is also a big factor), the newer turbo-style gaskets are multi layer steel and should last the lifetime of the car, much less prone to failure.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

VideoTapir posted:

Also they added HDR, which is good for 20 horsepower.

Don't knock it till you try it. Over processed photos seem to help with getting interest in whatever you're selling.

Or the allure of mystery from most of the half assed ads I see.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Guy has something like $13-15k in motor work to make 350 hp. Great job!

Eh, from the looks of it it's making that power reliably and should be set for future power increases, which is a lot more than you can say for the guys who just toss boost into an NA motor and hope for the best. Reliable power is expensive in most cases, with a few noteworthy exceptions.

The only issues I see with this listing is that he's trying to sell a heavily modified car. Personally if you're going to do crazy mods to a car I'd mark the car as "keep forever" unless it's a restoration or something along those lines.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Trade for bang bang? :a2m:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Honestly, with how S2000 prices are lately, and how much a viper v10 + trans costs, that seems like it would a pretty decent deal for a tire smoking death machine.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bovril Delight posted:

Is that the VW electrical gremlin?

Blond hair, blue eyes...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Also lol at the "acting as a mechanical lsd" for the controllerless center diff. Most likely it's fully open without a controller (unless he/she wired it in for 100% lock, which would be much worst)

Fully unlocked centre diff would just make it act almost like a rwd car when you lose traction, and with that supposed power level, a properly functioning center diff would be a really nice thing to have. Although it's a fairly easy fix, and the rest of the car looks pretty good, as does the price.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Baja owners are getting nuttier.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

atomicthumbs posted:

i want to see someone turn a ferrari into a fiero for once

There was that Lamborghini turned into a Ford mustang a few years back. It's either atrocious or the best thing ever depending who you ask

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Shampoo posted:

Good idea, or the BEST IDEA?

IS BEST IDEA.

From the pictures (or lack thereof) I'm calling that the driver side bolster on the drivers seat has the typical rip, looks in decent condition though, and the price is really good. As others have noted they're a niche vehicle and their owners are a little wonky and think they're worth their weight in gold, and they still sell at those prices.The 5spd might need a new center diff soon at that mileage but it's relatively easy to swap out though (don't even have to drop the trans) I think it's ~$600ish for it? Can't remember.

so yeah, DO IT.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

theacox posted:

Your choices are:

Doesn't give a poo poo

Is a loving moron

Car is actually the color of afterbirth

Or is a friendly terminator and this is how he see's the world?

Friend of mine has this up on eBay, oh if only I had some money laying around :allears:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Guys, Should I buy another broken Subaru?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/1998-subaru-forster-saftied/1093887280?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

VERY negotiable - i.e. he'll probably take the first wad of cash that's thrown at him.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sounds like blown head gaskets, so fill your boots.

Definitely, same problem that my current one has actually :v:

I just have no room... and a wedding right away...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Up here you can sell them for $3-4k if they're in good condition (i.e. Safetied and not rusted), Canada loves their Subaru's.

I might low ball him and see what sticks.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh dear god, the rust :stonk:

This car has a "safety" not a safety, no way in hell it passed a legitimate safety 7 months ago, both rockers are gone and the quarters are long rusted away on the inside, structural paint type of situation.

Welp, not worth it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Happens more often than you think

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's lived a rough life.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

1500quidporsche posted:

This reminds me of the kid I was working with at the junkyard that kept asking what the best way to convert a Cavalier to RWD was and nobody to drill it into his head just how dumb an idea that was and it literally would be a better use of time and resources to just buy an 80s camaro.

And that reminds me of the guy who spent an obscene amount of money (I want to say $100k+ but that just seems unreasonable so who knows) converting his cobalt to rwd. IIRC he failed, then tried again,, and I don't remember if he succeeded, it was a red cobalt I think.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

gently caress, I'd drive that mustang. Pretty impressed with how not terrible it looks.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Joe Mama posted:

Schedule a visit with your friendly neighborhood optometrist today!

Phone posting so maybe a full size image shows it's real *beauty* better, but I've seen worst panel gaps on factory cars and it seems like it would be fun to tool around in and troll car meets.

Maybe the back ruins it, from that angle I find it strangely inoffensive. Plus if you had to drive a fake Bentley, this seems like a hell of a lot more fun than the tarted up 300's.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

rscott posted:

There was that guy who spent 250k on his dragster cobalt

Did he ever actually finish, or was $250k not enough in the end to make a rwd cobalt dragster?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

"SISTINE" more like it. The rotary engine creating the common mustang, in this modern reinvention of Michelangelo's Creation of Adam.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If you've got some time, check out my thread, I took s similar trip with a fly and drive from LA to Manitoba and there were some killer recommendations for what to as on the way back. Iowa is a little more west and less north than me but the majority of the route applies if you want to do scenic. There's some seriously good road and sights along the way.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If it's not a giant bucket of rust $500 should be a decent asking price. Subaru's tend to hold their value and if the only thing really wrong with it is head gaskets that's only a few hundred bucks and an afternoon to fix if you've got the knowledge and tools handy.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Aren't the NA motors terrible candidates for forced induction due to high compression and weak rods? I remember wanting to do it to my Baja before I did the swap and the limit is like 6psi before you run into reliability issues and a factory turbo model makes more power than a boosted NA at those pressures.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Darchangel posted:

The ad notes that the engine has Crower rods, among other things.

edit: JE pistons and custom cams. It's built for it.

edit 2: and I'd remove the hood bulge and hand that blower out in the wind like a heathen.

My bad, in that case this thing is :getin:

That gen forester it a hoot to drive, with some decent power it's probably cackle inducing fun.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Photos are digital scans of the ones they took on the day they picked it up from the dealer.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Powershift posted:

Everything is relative.

Remember that one episode of old new top gear? Cars and peaches mate.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Apparently someone had a taste for horse dick.

Quite the 1-2 combo

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

StormDrain posted:

Oh sure it just needs a small part to run that I can't do before I sell it.

For $600, it's implied there's more work there. If it really is rust free might make for a fun project.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Motronic posted:

And it's this....or time (which includes ability, place to work, tools, etc). Many of the parts just aren't cheap either. You can do BETTER than crazy rear end dealer/OEM pricing, but it's still $150 water pumps compared to the $15-40 ones on a similar year chevy/honda/whatever.

Seconded. There's the easy way, the hard way, and the German way. Some jobs can be much more time consuming than you think or will require specialized tools, and if you're not doing your own labour prepare to be paying maintenance costs typical of vehicles that had an msrp around $100k. They're usually cheap now because the costs to keep them running are high and owners don't want to pony up. As Motronic mentioned, there's a bathtub curb in values and even on the 955 Cayenne's I've been seeing clean and maintained examples listed for decent sums.

Another saying I'm fond of that seems to be really applicable to these cars is "why do simple when complicated will do"

All said though, I would buy another 955 in a heartbeat if it didn't have the v8 that's prone to cylinder scoring. There's definitely something about them, or I'm crazy. Mine was a money pit but was fun to tinker with. And the cheap exhaust mod makes them sound real mean.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

NitroSpazzz posted:

One thing to keep in mind on previously expensive and now affordable German luxury vehicles is you don't want to be the third or fourth owner.

Come join me in my thread where I went all in on an 04 Cayenne S, shoveled my way through all the deferred maintenance and broken things, only to sell it as a non runner once the cylinder scoring problem they're known for pretty much killed it.

It was fun, but yeah, financially it was not smart. The calls for stripping it for parts when I first got it were correct, should have, would have, could have, didn't.

Nothing more expensive than a "cheap" Porsche.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

mobby_6kl posted:

boxster? How has it been in term of repair and maintenance?

It's been not bad. Tires and oil changes only so far after the initial sorting it out, both have been reasonable, albeit higher than your typical sedan or SUV parts prices. Also you need a scan tool capable of clearing the reminder, I went with a durametric for the rest of the fun stuff it lets you do. Budget around $1500 CAD a set of tires every two years and $80 - $100 CAD annual oil change.

Mine's got a little bit of a noise coming from the rear shocks over harsh bumps so I'll likely do struts all round either this season or next, and I've been topping up the PS fluid (which is priced like fine liquor) and now in storage it looks like made a little puddle from the front so will have to take a good look before getting it back out, thinking maybe the rack needs some seals thrown at it but I'll see once I get under it.

Oh, and I have terrible luck with Porsche water pumps, I would recommend just changing it preemptively at your leisure if you're looking at anything 60k miles plus. Much cheaper to DIY than getting a specialty shop or dealer to do it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

KakerMix posted:

If we agree on a price and the person shows up and offers less, no matter the amount, I'm going to be righteously pissed than if you had just did your dumb poo poo on the internet.
Waste of my goddamn time you are NOT doing me a favor. :argh:

Agree. Haggle in person, haggle online, whatever. But don't agree to a price and then try to lower it when you get here.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I have found an ART.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

What the hell did you think "buying sight unseen off the internet" meant? Pfft, this scrub wanting to have his cake and eat it too.

(I've had similar experiences, if they're not close and unwilling to send quality photos then they're likely trying to hide something and it's not worth the trip to find out exactly what, also, effort in creation of the ad seems to be inversely proportional to the asking price which is annoying)