Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Commie posted:

A real winner with lovely AGX 'dampeners' and why would you have manual rack for drifting?

edit: its the apex of awful

In your opinion what shocks/dampers should be avoided? Who makes the best? Are the in-house brands (TRD and Nismo for example) any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Commie posted:

Koni and Bilstein are almost always a better choice than a complete cheap coilover setup, pretty much any Japanese brand will be garbage: BC, Tein, etc have nice looking suspension with terrible damping characteristics. The Chinese knockoffs like Megan are even worse.

For not much more than a Chinese coilover set, Koni/Bilstein shocks, Ground Control coilover sleeves, and an Eibach spring would make for suspension good enough for just about everything. KW is probably one of the best mid-range suspensions, and once in the high end everyone has good stuff.

Thank you. I autocross currently in a stock 1992 240sx, I will try that setup when suspension upgrades are needed.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Commie posted:

Pay attention to what you can do with regards to classing, sometimes staying with a stock spring will put you at a class advantage that is more than the performance from a spring upgrade. I do think dampers are somewhat open within reason, so good dampers might be your first stop.

With regards to better dampers on stocks springs; would Bilstein B6s be a good step up from stock shocks?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aurune posted:

Not Craigslist, but gold.

Slightly used, proper Colin Chapman designed Lotus. Original driver some chap named Nigel.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CA0813-161561&entryRow=77&lottype=Car&startRow=73

Want, really really want. Too broke :(

Cool. But gently caress Nigel Mansell.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rcman50166 posted:

4 Wheel steering would be the first thing I removed from that car. Those systems are particularly heavy and it's just another thing to break.

Yeah. YEAH! I'm sure removing the 4-wheel Steering from the 3800 pound Psuedo-GT car will net you big weight and cost savings. With the money leftover you could buy a massively overrated Swedish sedan from 1987.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Every time I see "A/C just needs a recharge" I have an aneurysm.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
RE: The Fiero. I think the Fiero was actually a good car, and the final models rectified what was wrong with the original version, but the damage had already been done. Both that car and the C4 Corvette are examples of very good designs that were ruined by corporate idiocy, and exemplify everything that was wrong with GM in the 1980s.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

G-Mach posted:

I think the Cadillac Cimarron is what represents 80s GM failure the best. In today's money it cost $30,634 for a loving J-body.

The Cimarron, along with most of the garbage from that decade, were never good cars. The Fiero and early C4 were pretty good despite having being designed during Roger B. Smith's tenure; but even then they had their flaws (4+3 Transmission on the Corvette, the general quality, performance, and reliability of the Fiero until the 1988 Model Year.)

Yes, the Post-1989 C4 Corvettes were very good looking cars, and had even better performance. The Fiero had good styling too.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 28, 2013

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
From what I've read/heard, basically like a Chevette mixed with an X-body.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Q_res posted:

So it is, could have sworn I remember reading otherwise though.

Looking it up though led me to find claims that GM was considering putting the Quad 4 in the Fiero in 89 if they hadn't ended up axing it after 88. That makes me really, really sad...

Also, 200HP+ DOHC V6.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the MR2 is basically a backwards Corolla and it turned out great. The Fiero did turn out well, but it took 4 years.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I think the ricer thing has died off, or this car is now too old to be cool to them any more. What I'm worried about is the stancenation morons getting their hands on it. It's pretty nice, hopefully it goes to a non-idiot owner.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

keykey posted:

Anybody else notice how hard it is to find an unmolested early 90's CRX HF that doesn't look like poo poo? They're usually either a JDM Japanophiles wet dream or MAD SUPER TYTE MODZ WITH ENGINE SWAP YO! Which completely defeats the purpose of an HF. If I wanted an SI, I'd just buy an SI not buy an HF and throw an SI engine in it and call it good. loving Craigslisters..

Well, it was the lightest CRX by some margin. As such, they would be attractive for people who wanted to autocross or track the car. Besides, the HF sorta blows as a DD in my opinion; I'd rather have a loaded Si with Power Windows etc., Power Steering, Rear discs and air conditioning if I needed to drive it on the street. Track car? I'd definitely want an HF Shell.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A: Find competent mechanic.
B: Fix the Civic.

I sound like an rear end in a top hat in this post, but I would not throw the car away without correctly diagnosing what is wrong. It sounds like the mechanics were throwing parts at it.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 2, 2013

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody is going to buy that piece of loving poo poo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Q_res posted:

Sort of Gold, you certainly don't see these any more. Even if the NA versions had a solid axle and didn't get the good engine option (4G63T).
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/4047614424.html

However, somebody will buy this.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

This seems to be a recurring problem with "builds" of this type that I come across. The people building them have no idea about racing, series specs and requirements, etc and end up bolting on a whole lto of parts "BECAUSE RACE CAR", only to find out they either can't pass tech for any series, or they have built a totally uncompetetitive car because it can only fit in an unlimited class where everyone else has outspent them by 5 to 10 times (and are experienced drivers).

A lot of builds/builders are also unsure of what they actually want out of the car. I've seen quite a few swapped 240SX's (to use an example) that have no power steering and the air conditioning removed to "save weight" but the car will have huge, heavy wheels and a sub+sound system, in addition to never being driven on the track or in any type of competition. I do understand that not everyone wants to race but then why remove those systems if the car is street driven only? I have also seen (more than once) the ABS system get tossed for no discernible reason.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm sorry but if this was a build topic on here you'd all be cheering him on.

Not me.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The 2+2's never looked right until the Z31 rolled around.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The snorkel on the MR2 is only functional if it's mounted on the left hand side of the car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Answered in another thread.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 21, 2013

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tai-Pan posted:

Well, its all speculation I suppose. All vettes are collectable (well more so than say, a valiant) and this is the top of the line model with a manual transmission. They were ragingly fast for their time (fast by today's standards too), produced in limited numbers and incredibly reliable compared to their competitors.

While not as rare as GNX, it think a lot of the same ideas apply.
I cannot really think of a "better" vette you can get for the price, unless you mean newer, which totally misses the point of collector vehicle.

I would probably buy a solid driver ZR-1, but not one that looked like it rolled off the showroom floor. I'd want to thrash it, and some are simply too nice to do that to.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

I dont know much about rotarys, but can someone explain why you would want to throw one in a 78 Corolla?

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4109419702.html

This one looks like gold to me. Those louvers are insane, but I love it.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4115743057.html

Hell I love both of these.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tai-Pan posted:

Huh, I didn't even notice that.
You would think they would at least have installed the Getrag 11 speed, right?

I want that Gremlin though.

I'm not exactly sure who the Automatic RX-7 was aimed at, either here or overseas.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stealth Like posted:

In short - automatics back when that car was made were absolute poo poo, whereas automatics made today (especially those aimed at sports/supercars) are really really good.

That's what I meant really. Nowadays that advantage is no longer there. Automatics at the time were more suited to things like the Cosmo or Soarer/SC400. Corvettes have always had pretty good Automatics though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus H. Christ are automatic Integras ever terrible. I apologize for being an elitist but that car wasn't suited to an auto at all.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

That and all different walks of life enjoy Miatas, not just drifters and ricers,

People other than drifters and ricers enjoy 240SXs.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crustashio posted:

You can get running R32s for less than 10k in canada, like closer to 6.

You're spending north of 10k for a good GT-R, luckily the GT-R has gotten so expensive it's getting out of reach of dipshits. However, I'm not really sure why anyone would want a GTS-T or GTS4 (if you live in a LHD country, that is)....surely there a LHD options that would be better. They are still great cars but I think the money could be better spent on an RX-7, Z-car, EVO etc.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fucknag posted:

Well looking at bang-for-buck it's hard to beat the old standby of the Corvette (even an early C5 is still balls quick), but if you're looking at GT-Rs already aesthetics certainly play into it; some people just want the Skyline look for cheap.

The C4 Corvette is an even better deal, in fact I can't think of a cheaper way to go faster than a C4. Even the early Cross-Fire injection cars run 6.6 0-60, and the L98 ones run anywhere between 5.3-6.5 seconds. They do have issues though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

The L98 responds to simpler mods far better than the Crossfire, since the L98 heads are actually decent. Not as good as the LT1/LT4/L31 heads, but not garbage. I can't remember if it's the Crossfire manifold or the heads that have the intake ports shrunk to literally half the size of any other SBC.

It does have the problem of extremely long intake runners, so making it breathe over 5000 RPM requires some significant work on the manifold / plenum / runners (or modify an LT1 intake to clear a distributor and use it).

The L98 cars in the mid-80s ran as fast as mid-5s in the 0-60, that's pretty drat respectable; the LT1 cars were not significantly faster than the late L98s.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nitrogen posted:

Really. My memory is a bit bad, but I really remember the L98's being pretty slow, but i'm still in the early parts of my research. I have not driven an acceptable L98 yet, but the one I did drive (that was in terrible shape) was pretty slow. I guess I shouldn't let that bias me.

The fact that those don't have the lovely optisparks should be a plus.

I don't know how much you can trust car rags from that era but Car and Driver got a 1991 FX3 Z51 Corvette (with a 250HP L98) to run 0-60 in only 5.2 seconds. They also got a 1985 Z51 'Vette to run the same in 5.6 seconds. Even the L83s run 6.6 seconds in the 60. I drove a '84 Z51 and it felt pretty fast to me, however the fastest car I own is "powered" (relative term) by a 130hp Camry engine, so maybe my opinion does not count.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Are TVR's remotely reliable? I was thinking they might be (as opposed to something French or the more exotic Italian cars) because they were generally Ford parts bin specials right?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The R32 GT-R is worth importing, you'd really have to justify GTS4 or GTS-T. Also, everybody is aware that the vast majority of R32/R33/R34 Skylines are not GT-Rs?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What does not test pilots even mean? Because I'm not entirely sure I would purchase a car I was not able to drive. If you want $20 bucks for gas or something that's cool, but I'd be really reluctant handing over thousands of dollars without driving it first sorry.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Octopus Magic posted:

Why not just buy a C5 Corvette and actually be competitive? Never mind the fact that a Z06 would walk all over an FD unless you're throwing tons of money at it.

I concur, as I've never understood exactly why SBC swapping an RX-7s is undertaken when a extremely capable sports car with two Seats and a SBC is readily available, very competitive, and you can even chose between styles (C4 or C5) to suit your tastes.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

That little CRX is getting an LS7 and he's going to like it.

I wonder if the twin-engined CRX still exists.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dr.Caligari posted:

Call Mr. Plow,
That's my name.
That name again is Mr. Plow.

http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/4320572362.html

The front ends of these have really weird styling...not many around anymore.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

At the VIR 24 Hour Chump Classic, there was an F or E-750 and it looked loving amazing. We're getting the Transit proper this year with either the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost or an I5 Powerstroke. I know that places like Westfalia will be doing conversions on them which will be way too much money, but also way cool.

Are these used often?

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/4261260027.html

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

A huge fan of Wangan Midnight, eh?

The continuity of that series is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Lots of cars had 4 lugs in 2000, like the Miata.

It might confuse some people though as the SW-series (like mine) has 5-lug hubs.