Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Frond posted:

They are nice looking. "More rare than a Nissan Skyline" - a lot of things are, chief.

Probably just put that in there to grab the people looking for Skylines, honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh god I'm becoming nostalgic for chunky plastic "melted bar of soap" buttons and switches with Arial Medium typeface labels.

I'd rather have that than gesture control / voice control / everything buried miles deep in touchscreen options

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

GOD drat IT I NEED TO BE WORKING

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1988-mazda-b2200-pickup-5/6561112699.html

One of my c&c buds works at this lot, I could get this truck for $1600 out the door. I drove it this afternoon, no smoke, idles well. Shockingly good shape for 222K on the clock, just a kind of dirty interior.

Man I loving dig that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

That absolutely works with that ad.

In the summer months on the highway one of the games I play is trying to figure out the donor vehicle for head and tail lights of RVs. For example, I would say those headlights are from a similar vintage Explorer.

Please tell me I'm not the only person to do this

I can't play because it would be cheating. I work for a stepvan company as an engineer, and either I know the people that pick out those headlights or I do it myself. I just finished designing a hood meant to take headlights from a GMC Sierra from a few years ago (the really blingtastic ones). It replaces a hood that used early 2000s Explorer headlights. I worked with a guy that designed the hood on many UPS trucks that use Alero headlights.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 3, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Is there any real rhyme or reason why something specific gets picked or is it basically "these are cheap"? The Alero lights for the UPS trucks seem like such an odd choice.

Sometimes it's availability (those Explorer headlights are cheap knockoffs and the local repair place could get them cheap), sometimes it's customer preference (our customer told us to use the Sierra headlights).

I can't speak for the Alero ones but I imagine UPS liked them. They are very particular about the look of their trucks.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

" Front bucket seats, mid split seat that drops for full "2 seater sports car" feel in a station wagon."

That's all I gotta do to give it a "sports car feel???"

:thunk: :thunk:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

A mandate by the US government about either automatic seatbelts or airbags, so auto seatbelts made do for a while before everything was aired up.

I remember my 1994 Nissan Sentra had automatic seatbelts. I think it was because it lacked a passenger airbag and they were changing the design for 1995 anyway. I never minded them. Kinda miss them, they were fun.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

TheFonz posted:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/d/2000-lincoln-town-car-cartier/6617090706.html

drives good - Nice!
starts everyday - Nice!
nice comfortable ride - I Bet!
leather ineterior - Little Misspelling, whatever

lambo doors - wat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOy6hqzfsAs

i really can't be mad at that, i mean at that point it's purely for function. Now nobody can park too close for you to get in!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, anybody want a brand-new Cherokee?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/2001-jeep-cherokee-limited/6618961984.html

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I appreciate the level of insanity it takes to collect sixty of these.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/d/dodge-stealth-mitsubishi/6613492533.html

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I'd buy that and tell the guy I plan on daily driving it. I bet he buys it back for more :v:

Seriously though I dig it but not at that price

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Joe Mama posted:

Me too, mostly for the axle situation. The transaxle itself is a pretty cool solution considering the era it came from. Take an auto trans, cut the bellhousing off and turn it 180*, stick it to the side and run a chain drive to the trans, stick a diff up the trans' rear end, voila.

I think it would be even cooler if they had made it front wheel drive.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-porschel-manual/6657625613.html

quote:

A true classic of the Porsche world, these cars have been gaining value over the last few years as it is harder to find good examples of them.

This car has just a sliver over 62k miles, and consistently turns heads where ever it goes. Oddly, I was recognized by a few people as "that guy with the red porsche" around town.

It comes in the classic Guards Red, and is a rare model to not have a sun roof (SCCA people will recognize that as being a more attractive model as the weight distribution is perfect), with the 5 speed manual working in tandem with the torque-y 2.5L inline 4 producing 147 hp.

Here's some quick comparison's for you. The 1984 Corvette with a V8 engine produced 205 hp, weighed 3300 lbs, and a 4 speed manual at 124 hp per ton. The 944 came in with 60 less hp, weighed 700 lbs lighter, had a German 5 speed and a power to weight ratio of 111 hp per ton! And, if you elected to do the V8 swap that a minority of people are doing with this classic car, you are looking at 300 hp on the stock axle and weight savings of about 20 lbs. Do you really want a power to weight ratio of 232hp per ton, that's crazy talk.

So, what are the pro's and con's with this car?

Well, let's start with the negative to get it out of the way.

1. These cars has one stage paint, so there are some rock chips. This has all been filled in and detailed by the lovely people at Sweetcars.
2. The classic cracked dash. You could shell out a few hundred for a new one, or cover it up. Or, like a chunky girl, flaunt those "tiger stripes" cause you're a "tiger mom" and it shows how you've grown as a person. Or inflated. Either/or.
3. Tear in the arm rest. Yes, this is a simple fix. "why haven't you done it then?" "WHY SHOULD I TAKE THE JOY AWAY FROM YOU, NEW OWNER, TO FIX SOMETHING AND FEEL A CONNECTION TO YOUR LOVELY NEW PORSCHE"
4. There is an area around the gas cap that has the paint damaged due to a gas spill. It's unnoticeable unless you are looking down on it.

Now, let's get into the real positives. Since I've owned it, I wanted to turn from the Garage Queen it had been since 1986 and only driven to work on Fridays and a sometimes week end car, to maybe drive it multiple times a week, I don't know, I shoot from the hip.

1. Replaced the following; Oil Pump (taken from a bulletproof Turbo model), Oil Pressure Relief Valve, Fuel Pump, Water Pump, Belts/Tensioners, Oil Gauge in the Cabin, Radio (it has bluetooth and usb hookups, welcome to 2012 944!)
2. Upgraded the following; Spray the entire underside of the car - this was done prior to my purchase many moons ago, but I had it checked over and reapplied if necessary, Throttle Response Cam
3. A gentleman in a really nice Audi V10 said it looked "real nice" and offered to drag race. I declined.

If you have questions - let me know! I'm moving shortly and don't need to take 3 cars, and unfortunately this gets the least amount of use of my vehicles.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
How is that street legal? I don't see any headlights or wipers. I thought a car at least had to have headlights to be street legal.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh man this is a clean bricknose.

https://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/d/argos-1989-ford-f150-xlt-shortbed/6858475773.html

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Colostomy Bag posted:

How in the hell did that survive that climate?

It has Tennessee plates so I think it's not been around here very long.

I want that so bad though, but I'd legit feel bad driving it and doing truck things with it. It's too nice.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man and here I am not even knowing that Italy invaded Ethiopia in 1932...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man it's a good thing I don't have $2500 burning a hole in my pocket right now. If I was going to get a classic Saab it'd probably be a 900 turbo but this makes a good argument to not do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/chicago-hot-rod-street-legal-road-race/7401141957.html

This thing looks kinda cool but also sketchy as gently caress

I can't tell which I like more, the seats that are just bolted through some sheetmetal, or the coolant lines that run below the entire frame, ensuring that every speedbump will leave you overheating and stranded.