Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

Simkin posted:

I just was under the impression that the later 510 was a more desireable car, but I guess that's just my opinion. :confused:

You ain't alone. I realize the 510 has its goofy fanboys, but $2500 for that wagon? :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
Christ that's a good deal. It's worth more than that even just parted out.

Someone go buy that. :(

Kurten
May 28, 2001

I've never heard a person say "bimmer" in person either. Only run across it on the internet. Bmw fanboys are irritating.

Edit: is an old bmw airplane engine called a "Bim-AIR"?

Kurten fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 8, 2008

Kurten
May 28, 2001

VideoTapir posted:

And it was in a fire. Even the stuff that isn't compromised by rust might be weakened from the fire.

If someone has another one of those and needs a few non-structural bits and pieces, maybe it's worth it. I dunno. But that car is never getting restored.

If its been in a fire, unless it was a very minor fire (and from the photos: it sure wasn't) and got nowhere near the frame...the car is done. If the frame has been toasted it is done. From those pictures, there's absolutely nothing left on that car to restore. Maybe the head on the engine. Maybe. Otherwise? poo poo no, that's scrap metal, if you can find a scrapper who would bother.

You Am I posted:

I've seen people restore from less. As long as the chassis is there, most of the other stuff can be made up.

"Chassis"? :confused:

You Am I posted:

Mechanically, looking at the photos, it is all there.

:lol:

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Delivery McGee posted:

If there's something with a serial number on it, you can restore it from that.

No, you can't.

Ask anyone in any classic car restoration shop, and they will tell you right off that a burnt frame = total loss 99.9% of the time. You can de-pop VIN numbers and such, but you will end up putting them on a restorable vehicle/frame. The type of burnt out shitpiece that was posted earlier? gently caress no.

Once metal has been burned it has been weakened and is instantly corroded to poo poo (regular humidity = instant rust on a torched vehicle) in a span of 12-24 hours. At that point it is no longer usable for anything but scrap. It has been chemically weakened and is basically useless. Now if this is a rare as poo poo hemicuda convertible or something, sure, you can cut out the vin's/data plates and slap them on another vehicle, but they are not and never will be the same as an unmolested car. As for "rebuilding" a vehicle as loving wasted as that craigslist ad? lol, hell no.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Pweller posted:

I just assumed the guy was selling the head/tail lamps and horn, and figured he may as well throw the rest of the poo poo parts all in together since he had them too- until Aeilerto posted his other listings... kind of wishful thinking I guess.

Maybe Dorts are super rare and those brass headlamps are worth a mint? :)

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Oh god I want another van like this...must fight urge...
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/928719019.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/936016374.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/927868733.html

Here's one for lobsterboy:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/914750771.html

Now for the dumb ones:

ONE OWNER (drunk right now)

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/911146692.html

BUY THIS STOLEN CAR

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/931754914.html

"doesn't need much"

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/917275914.html

And then there's this:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/917608909.html

quote:

I have for sale or trade a 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier. Car runs great, gets close to 30 miles on the gallon, has ice cold air conditioning. Other specs: 2 door coupe, automatic transmission, low mileage. Body is in fantastic shape, never been in an accident, only driven around town.

I'm looking for a 1968 or possibly 1969 Pontiac GTO. Car should be a driver, no projects. Also considered 1965 - 1972 muscle cars, preferred GM A-Body style. I will consider a trade plus cash if necessary (depends on condition of car, model, etc).

Anyone who needs a reliable car with great gas mileage in these tough times and is willing to part with their old muscle, drop me a line. Thx

TRADE YOUR CLASSIC GTO (no projects plz) FOR MY CHEVY CAVALIER! :downs:

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Lando posted:

You laugh, but older guys being bitched at by their wives, will make them get rid of their toys.

Yeah but you can almost forgive people in the pre-barrett era for not knowing any better. But nowadays? Gee let me trade my $30k+ GTO for a $1500 cavalier? I guess you catch no fish without tossing your line in the water, but drat. ;)

Number_6 posted:

Yeah, it was kind of obscene how gigantic those old coupes used to be ('60s and '70s models). Loooooong hood, looong doors, looong trunk. It pisses me off that nobody makes cars that are so flagrantly and gratuitously impractical anymore. (SUVs and exotics excepted)
My favorite "jesus christ that's a big car" picture is this one, the 72 Fleetwood Model 75:

Love to own one, although personally I think the 66 or 68 model 75's looked better:

Anyways, sorry for the derail. :cool:

Kurten
May 28, 2001

MrSaturn posted:

There's a guy in the town next to me who's been selling his '66 fleetwood for years and years now.

Is it a series 75? 66 models were golden because of the cool grill and dash. :cool:

el topo posted:

Again it's Ebay and not Craigslist, but they are listing one... apparently it's so long the seller hasn't managed to get it all in the one picture.

Its at $600 right now which is an outright steal if the guy really has a low reserve like he claims. Shame about the paint.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Spiffness posted:

It can be like your own Top Gear cheap car challenge, with exciting events like 'get to the grocery store' and 'you must now use your car to pick up an attractive lady'

laughed way too hard at this :xd:

Kurten
May 28, 2001

:wtc:

That is awesome, shame it is after christmas, I would send that out. :lol:

Kurten
May 28, 2001

bladernr posted:

The "Before" images on the car domain page are just ... just ... :monocle:

I think it's even better than Cheetos

:lol:

thanks for posting this :)

Kurten
May 28, 2001

"thinking I needed a truck in AZ"

What the hell? :confused:

Did he think they didn't pave the roads down here in cactus land or something? :confused:

Kurten
May 28, 2001

InitialDave posted:

Maybe he thought you shot anyone not driving a real :patriot: :clint: :bahgawd: vehicle.

No, that's Texas. :xd:

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Dave Inc. posted:

What... does that to a car?

I mean god drat it doesn't look like anything is salvageable from that.

Tree? Tree always wins against car, :cool:

Kurten
May 28, 2001

deviant. posted:

So, uh...can anything be done with a carbed 305?

You can tie a buoy to it with a chain and use it to anchor the buoy. Works in fresh or salt water!

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Ein Windir posted:

Very nice looking car, but way out of my price range.

That price is not surprising at all if the ad is true. Sweet car.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

VideoTapir posted:

Post images.

I think the seller is the "it puts the lotion in the basket" guy.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1066549177.html

Ok it's pretty awesome.

The location does not surprise me at all. :)

Kurten
May 28, 2001

The link was actually pretty funny. I will try to sum up:

"TO: THE DIRT TRACK RACER WHO SOLD MY SON A TRUCK

YOU ARE A CHEAT AND A LIAR, YOU SAID THAT TRUCK RAN GOOD!!! WE SPENT ALL OUR MONEY BUYING OUR SON THAT TRUCK AND A MONTH AFTER BUYING IT DESPITE YOUR CLAIMS IT WAS A GOOD VEHICLE THE TRANSMISSION WENT OUT AND WE COULDNT AFFORD TO REPLACE IT! I'M ON DISABILITY AND HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO A DISABLED PERSON BUYING THEIR SON (A HS SENIOR!) A TRUCK!!! YOU SHOULD REFUND THE MONEY YOU STOLE YOU DISHONEST JERK I HOPE YOU SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT KNOWING YOU SOLD ME A USED 15 YEAR OLD TRUCK THAT RAN FINE BUT BROKE LATER!!!! HOW DARE YOU?!?!"

That's about how I remember it reading, complete with all-caps.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

SPORK08 posted:

Click here for the full 698x834 image.

Get this RARE Mustang to Barret-Jackson ASAP!

It even comes with "some good body parts"!

Believe it or not, that will probably sell.

It's an original 428 Cobra Jet car he claims, so even beat to poo poo, if it has a frame it is worth some dough to a restorer somewhere. Weird, I know.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

VideoTapir posted:

It looks like the only thing salvageable on that car might be the VIN.

There's one single picture.

From that picture though: it looks like the front clip, grille, hood and fender are shot. The quarter doesn't look so great, but doesn't look that bad to fix either. It has a roof, hasn't been rolled, and hasn't been in a major front or rear end collision. If the frame is remotely ok, and that is in fact a real Cobra Jet car, it looks plenty restorable.

I know its weird to see that beat to poo poo old thing worth that much money, but if its a true Cobra Jet car (and Fords are very simple to verify) it is worth that much to someone. And like was mentioned already, when you start cross checking it could be some weird 1-of-10 mix of options easily worth it.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some military stuff can't be sold off to the public, period - I remember hearing that the US government didn't want drug dealers tooling around in up-armoured Humvees. It's a shame, but the Russians will sell you their old GAZ trucks.

Interesting stuff.

What about old armored cars? I've never seen one for sale to the general public, which is weird considering how many there are. Is there a law against selling them with all the full plating on them or something?

Shame because I would totally drive an armored bank truck. :cool:

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Lots of guys roll around in these.

http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/BRDM2%20for%20sale%20pageALL.htm

Take the gun off it and its basically a light truck, except you know, covered in thick rear end loving armor and is completely amphibious. On Englishrussia somebody bought one of these and totally did the interior out like a luxury SUV and painted it real nice and poo poo. Russia also makes an armored truck on a Chevy chassis that in its lowest trim will stop anything up to a rifle round and in its highest can stand up decently against an RPG.

Yeah I've seen ex-military vehicles for sale, but do they sell used vehicles like this:

Where do they all go? Never seen a single one at a junk yard, wrecking yard, auction, etc. Kind of weird.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Professor Bling posted:

1971 Maverick Grabber - $17,500

I clicked, hoping it was a typo. It loving wasn't.

Click here for the full 1280x800 image.

This has to be one of those "romantic interest forcing sale of beloved Dearborn/Detroit Iron" situations I hear about.

It has to be.

This guy must be high, most likely on home trailer-made meth.

Edit: its tough trying to think of worse domestic car for 1971. Besides vega/gremlin/pinto this is about it, and $17k, lol

Kurten fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 12, 2009

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Phoenix :ese:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I admit I would probably drive this. :(

Kurten
May 28, 2001

blugu64 posted:

Repost in "Most AI images you got" thread please. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurten
May 28, 2001

"Don't know what kind of car it is exactly, or where it is located. Can't understand the owner either...but it's for sale!"