Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

theacox posted:

Every Omni I've ever been in was an absolute shitbox. I'll never understand why anyone would ever want one out of anything other than desperation.

Regular Omnis aren't special but the Shelby-designed GLH (or even better, the GLHS) models are insane. The generic Chrysler 2.2 turbo they wedged in everything from K-cars to minivans, fitted into a car that weighs slightly over 1 ton. Depending on year they can have 175+ HP, and are pretty easily tuned to produce more with minor bolt-ons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

Cheap old cars never left. You can pick up '40s thru '50s cars for essentially nothing all day long. It was only muscle cars that got crazy.
Even now, '60s Camaros are back down what looks like 30%-40% off their peaks. Sure, you still see people asking $30k for a clapped out 6 cylinder, but they are not selling at that price.

All that said, I actually don't see muscle prices falling dramatically. There are a couple of things that will keep that from being the case. First, there are not that many '80s cars that really ever made it to "lustworthy" status. Even '80s kids like myself recognized that a 65 Wildcat was cooler than any 80s leSabre.

Things got better in the 90's with the return of non-poo poo box pony cars and solid Japanese rivals (300zx, Rx-7, etc).
But guess what? Those cars are hard to keep on the road now and keeping those computers up and running 20 years from now will border on the impossible. My guess is that in 10 years the only running 3000gt VR-4 will be in a Mitsubishi museum.

So where does that leave the "car guys" over the next 20 years? Well, there are a handful of post-70s cars that will be affordable to keep on the road (Miatas, 240zs, Fox-bodies, some mercedes). But if want a sexy car, that you can afford and keep on the road you will have to consider something from the Muscle car era.

Compound this with the new wealth in the developing world (which has already started importing American classics) and you have a recipe for stable prices.

There's a lot more desirable/collectible cars from the 80's than from the 60's.

AE86 Corolla, SA22 and FC RX-7s, S13 240sx, second and third gen Supras, fox body Stangs, IROC Camaros, Buick Regal T-Type/GN/GNX, E30 M3 and 325is, M535i, Merc 190e 2.3s, hell Porsche 959s and Lotus Carltons are old enough to import now.

80s EFI is also usually pretty simple to work on and doesn't require anything more complex than a good DMM to work on compared to newer OBDII cars which will at minimum need a scan tool to pull/reset codes, so I don't know where you get this notion it would make them more difficult to keep running over carbs.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
First gen mustang parts are cheap because Ford sold two and a half million of them, not because cars from the 60's just magically are cheaper. Go price NOS trim pieces for a 1967 Camaro RS/SS and let me know how 'cheap' they are.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
262 HP TBI 90-deg V6?

That's a really optimistic number of ponies.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The cooling system 'issues' on the 400 are urban myth. It's got siamesed bores so the combustion chamber temps are a bit higher than a 350, but not enough to cause problems except on the most highly tuned engines.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/173832/

There's plenty of threads talking about it, but precious few examples of them overheating outside of abused or badly modified engines.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Still wasn't the best motor ever made. Even reading through the forum you posted, there is some complaints of it running hot, more casting issues in older motors, yada yada yada.

People with it running hot have swapped on heads from a 350 that don't have the steam holes a 400 requires.

And a lot of 350s and 305s had lovely head castings in the 70s too - I know this from personal experience because my first car was a 1977 Camaro that had a 400 from a 1971 Impala wagon swapped in because the original 350 ended up with a crack in the right head that caused overheating and coolant leakage. The replacement 400 ran like a champ.

Joe Mama posted:

Chevy 400: Crank donor for a 383.

383 stroker: total waste of a good set of 400 internals. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

That's about the least primal car ever made.

If you want a turbobrick, why aren't you looking at a nice 740?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Yeah right. What's the closest non smog state?

Oregon. Outside of the Portland and Medford metro areas, there's no smog testing or inspections whatsoever. I've owned multiple daily drivers with no cats or emissions equipment whatsoever merely by registering then at my parents' address in the boonies.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

In other words, straight up garbage for actual competition.

That's a pretty good summary of NASCAR as a whole. :rimshot:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Citycop posted:

I don't understand all the Volvo love in this thread. I like that they are square shaped but I have always associated them with minivans and very not-cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAOQbM8ptIM

Much like Buick Regal T-types, they were not put on this earth to look cool, they were put on this earth to lay black 11s everywhere.

(though I don't get the love for the Ford-era FWD ones, those are meh)

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 15, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

driguy posted:

I am not going to let you become my enabler, Rhyno.

Quick, you run for it while I distract him with a rust-free G-body:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4385703812.html

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I have a friend in Corvallis, I could totally use that as an excuse to visit him.

Here's a truly wonderful ad

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/4386217654.html

Holy poo poo, I think you've found the American twin of Vicky Pollard. :monocle:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q3hZXHKqNbo

Also if you come to Corvallis stop up in Portland too and we can go lurk at Excalibur comics to see if Bendis comes in.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I really want to know the story behind this listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-C6-Corvette-LS2-6-0L-Engine-Automatic-Rolling-Chassis-65K-LS3-COMPLETE-KIT-/251481495077

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4387804535.html

Might be a good beater/DD

E: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4389279141.html

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 28, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Can someone tell me about Grand Nationals? Which ones are the desirable models? This one looks really clean but idk if it's actually the one you want:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4379827600.html

A grand national is a grand national (and also always black on black on black). A regal t-type is mechanically identical, just lacking the badges and blackout treatment.

There's also the GNX, which is an even hotter version made only for a year or two, but any GN or t-type is criminally fast (and easy to make faster, the Buick engineers deliberately left lots of headroom for more boost).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

3 & 1/2 hours from me. I could probably swing it too.

Doooo eiiiiiit. You know you want a G-body.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Extra posted:

I know there's an Initial D tax but is that the only reason the AE86 corollas are that expensive? They don't seem that fast on paper, parts are apparently hard to find and expensive, the weight distribution isn't 50/50, etc. Considering SW21 (N/A 5SFE) MR2s can be had for about 2-3K, it's a bit confusing to me.

Having owned both an AE86 and an '85 MR2, save your money and pick up a first gen MR2. AE86s are a barrel of fun to drive, but not at the prices they're going for now. First gen MR2 gets you the same level of fun for half the price.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
14,000 km is only 8,750 miles per year, or a bit more than 2/3 of what is considered normal average mileage a year in the US (12,000 miles - equal to 19,200kms - a year is considered average here), so yes, your idea of 'high mileage' is a little bit lower. You have to keep in mind the US is a country where some people think an acceptable daily commute is 100 miles (160 km) each way, five days a week.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok, which one is critical? I'd assume the oil pressure light but hell, I wouldn't like low oil level either.

The oil level light is pretty much just there to let you know it needs topping up - comes on when it's half a quart low or so - generally because it's burning it. This is normal for BMWs, they love oil almost as much as rotaries.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ThirstyBuck posted:

These just scream ROTORY to me.

Nope, try obscure Ford V4 (yes an actual vee engine, not an inline 4) more commonly used in tractors. Oh and like all real Saabs, they're FWD.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

I used to help build those when I was in high school. Still have a couple old photos of one still in primer and being assembled somewhere.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
My wife just sent me this link:
http://bringatrailer.com/2014/04/20/euro-1985-bmw-m635csi/

Looks nice, if only it wasn't on the opposite corner of the country from me. :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

angryhampster posted:

But you can have this for 1/4 the price!

http://www.starmotors.us/car.php?sn=8430

Don't know if you're being facetious or not, but the car in your link isn't an M, and it's automatic. The one I linked is not only an M635, it's a euro model with the full 286 HP, not the detuned 260 that the US officially got.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I don't know why I fight so hard to stay here.

So don't. Head out west. We have cookies rust-free cars.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

is the conquest basically a starion?

There's a reason they're colloquially known as Starquests.

Also, hope you enjoy replacing head gaskets.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Not huge, just old and primitive. A lot of turbo cars from the 70s-80s have pretty bad lag, it's just the state of turbine design at the time.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4442851945.html

It drove fine, as you started to accelerate there was a vibrating kind of noise from underneath. Owner said it's the exhaust heat shield and I'd actually believe him, there was no loss of power or anything when it happened. In fact it was surprisingly peppy, I had it up to 50 in 3rd before I expected and didn't even touch 5th on our test drive. Brakes worked too. Tailgate doesn't go down. Otherwise, it seemed reasonably solid, although apparently his definition of "one owner pickup" means one owner before himself (he got the truck as payment for landscaping).

I'm thinking about offering $1600 and see if I can get him to go for something sub-$1900. The inside is surprisingly well-kept and I couldn't find any rust underneath... but at the end of the day it's still a 34 year old pickup.

I had that same year and model of Datsun, with over 300k miles on the original engine/trans. It'll run forever, you can't kill one of those.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

I know almost nothing about BMWs of this era but... seems like a good deal for an M5? Or is it the M3 of this era that everyone always gets excited about?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4454277474.html

M5s from that era are pretty rare in North America, that's priced too good to be true. Either there's some huge issues hiding there or it's a scam/stolen. If not, that's a ridiculously good deal.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
No, worst case scenario is you have a $5000 crate engine that needs $15,000 worth of repairs to run correctly.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Citycop posted:

Repairs to what? The crate motor would run outside the car just fine. Put a Ford V8 with a carburetor in it and call it a day.

I assume the person I was replying to was saying he would pay $5000 just to take the V12 out of it to put into another car (and scrap the SL), not buying a crate engine to put into the Merc.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

No manual no care.

To be fair, the manuals in 740s/760s are actually pretty crap. The autos are much better transmissions in those.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
There's always Italian if Japanese cars are too boring and predictable. Have you thought of looking at Maserati Biturbos?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
We got both kinds of transmission here, manual and automatic.
________________________/

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
For blk:
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4469145622.html

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

You assholes need to screenshot :argh:

edit

Soooo, did I miss him saying that it was repainted, or does BMW typically get overspray on the paint tags?

I don't see any overspray on that :confused:

Looks like some dust/dirt and part of the label is chipped off.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

Are you perhaps looking at this picture with a black-and-white monitor? There's tons of blue overspray on the bottom half of the sticker. Also, the paint is wicked up onto the edge of the sticker, which wouldn't happen if it was applied after the paint had dried.

That looks more like heavily compressed jpeg artifacting causing pixels near the edge of the label to chroma shift + the glossiness of the label picking up a bluish hue from the light bouncing off the blue paint surrounding it. Craigslist recompressing the picture after upload probably doesn't help.
It's possible it might be overspray, but I think it's far more likely it's just a lovely picture (big surprise, crappy pics in a Craigslist ad).

Edit: actually, the upper right corner does look like it's got paint slopped on it, so you may be right.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 5, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

No idea but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it has something to do with people assuming AWD means "I can't crash, ever, and my vehicle will never lose traction so let me just go ahead and drive like a dong in the snow with my summer tires on."

I worked with a kid who did exactly that in his STi. Was donging around in the rain and spun around and bounced off a jersey barrier.

And yeah, on each gen of MR2s, the first couple model years of each had nice sharp MR-style handling, then partway through the generation they detuned the handling (removing the rear sway bar in 86+ AW11s, softer rear suspension on 93+ SW20s, staggered figment wide rear tires on later ZZW30s) because each time, they discovered all over again that Joe Public's first instinct when they take a corner a little hotter than intended or feel the rear start to come loose is to abruptly lift off the throttle and get on the brakes.

Edit:^^^^^^ the initial run of SW20s had their suspension dialed in by a pro racing driver on a track, which gave it very good, race car like handling. It also gave it a race car's margin of errors for mistakes (i.e. not much of a margin at all). Most buyers were not, in fact professional racers...

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 12, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Motronic posted:

That's not significantly different than anything else.

Some things telegraph that break point better than others, but it all comes down to what we all know: not pushing the limits in an unsafe area until you know what those limits look feel and smell like.

My two polar opposites are the '74 911, which always wanted to kill me to the 85.5 944 which very politely tells me before I'm going to go sideways into a tree by scrubbing first, giving me an option to unspool from the turn or throttle steer it. (seriously....this is why people who know 944s love them so much....the suspension is brilliant....it's like training wheels).

Same thing with AE86 corollas and late model 3 series, you can feel the grip starting to loosen up with plenty of room to decide if you want to give it more throttle and adjust your steering angle now, or back off and let it settle back in. When my '85 MR2 decided that going around a 25mph cloverleaf in the rain at the posted speed was a good time to start loosening up the rear, your only choice was to keep the throttle steady and hope you'd begun your countersteer in time.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Motronic posted:

Properly designed suspension......not a completely disconnected beigemobile.

Unfortunately, we are the 1% on wanting things like this so we have to pick what luckily works for us.

It's not even particularly sophisticated suspension in either of the cars I mentioned, hell the corollas get by with strut fronts and a five link live axle out back, but having good balance and weight distribution and steering with good feedback goes a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kastein posted:

What annoys me about DBW is that it's the absolute perfect way to implement automatic rev matching (with the addition of a few sensors on the shift linkage so it knows what gear you're aiming for), but they don't, and just leave it hamstrung with an awful laggy useless DBW setup that makes it impossible to rev match yourself OR drive it well so you just fumblefuck around on the road like an idiot.

Yeah, they did an awesome job on the new C7. Just hit a lever behind the wheel and the DBW throttle will give you perfect rev-matched downshifts every time.