Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

leica posted:

That depends, if all he did was put a motor in it from a wrecked S2000 it's a pretty steep price.

If it's a restomod type of build then it's probably worth it but we'll never know because the seller is an idiot. Let me be as vague as possible and post my phone number so every ricer in a 300 mile radius can hound me with lowball offers :rolleyes:
I'd be positively shocked if this ISN'T "I'm mad at <x> so I'm going to post his number on craigslist so he gets weird calls".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nah, lots of cars did it in the 80s. The Lada Niva did, for one.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Clean (rusty as gently caress)

They're great trucks, but that one ain't worth $2500. You used to be able to pick those up for $500 in that condition.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Not typical AI since it appears basically finished, but it's an interesting car. It's a 325 with lots of M3 parts, plus an LSX ... and a Muncie 4 speed :wtf:
Note: Not actually an LSX.

I got excited for a second there, but it's a "mere" L33.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Good thing that's an FD.

(I have no idea what FDs look like there, but I know what chassis it is)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Milquetoaste poo poo posted:

Easy there Jeremy Clarkson we all watch top gear too. I think it will be future classic. Limitedish production? Check. Coupe? Check. Sporty? Check. Yea this is a no brainer.
Unequivocal piece of poo poo? Check.

I'm sure it will have a following, but so did the Pinto, and every other piece of ... Well, Milquetoast poo poo.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

No, but holy poo poo, if that's in even vaguely good shape it's a great deal.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

"30 mpg Lamborghini doors"

I ... don't think you get Lambos.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

If it has a missing zero it's way overpriced and he notes he's selling it well below what it's worth in parts, so I can only assume it's 1100.

Fuckin' killing me that I'm 3k miles away and don't have a nice shop to go over it in.
Oh man. I wish someone had pointed this out to me, I 100% would have bought it. I live near there, too.

It appears to be gone now, sadly and predictably.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Strategy posted:

Its cool I don't like driving cars I'm going to buy anyway

"4.8 ... V8"

Must be a special edition of the special edition.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

No CL ad, but found this Scout II while I was out walking today:

Sale sign claims to be a 1973 Scout II with a rebuilt V8, new brakes, winch, and an extra set of tires. Odometer's rolled over at 43k. 3850 OBO.
Where?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Powershift posted:

$1400 a month for 3 months.
Oh, for sale by dealer, then.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I don't know if that is a good idea, it tends to be an easy indication to pass over the seller and their wares.

Although a professionally composed photo of an El Amphetamino needing "nothing" but an entire driveline would be hilarious.
I agree with this, and also find this hilaaaaaaarious.

Colostomy Bag posted:

This is wildly off-topic but it really is incredible how many mistakes are made in articles on major news sites.
Also, this. I used to occasionally send emails to the by line about really staggering errors, but I've given up at this point. It's something that a very small minority finds pretty off-putting, and the vast majority of people think that small minority is a coastal elite or something.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's tops a 20 minute drive from me.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I guess you know what you must do.
I have other responsibilities, you don't. DO IT.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I own 5 cars, 3 of which don't really work. If I got a 6th my wife might actually murder me. You'll find my body stuffed in the back of the Bricklin that's been sitting in the garage for 5 years.
Oddly, I think my wife would let me, but I can’t bring myself to do it because I’m cheap now.

If you ever want help working on the bricklin - or the others - I’m still down. And we can probably convince the wives to distract each other too!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I saw a Geo Metro wagon last night. I honestly can't think of the last time before that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Frond posted:

There was a Metro wagon?
5 door? I think of this as a wagon, but maybe that's not the right term?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

paging Dick Turbo
About that ...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Aw, that makes me a little sad. I've seen it driving around, it's a nice car. I'd be tempted to buy it if I could afford it or if I had anywhere to put it.

I can't recall if it actually has those plates on it, and I'd say that would go a long way toward value - 853 OKG would be an awesome plate number.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

keykey posted:

Whatever the deal is, new MSRP (according to google) on that Sundance when it was sold was $9,206 USD. They sold it for $7988, presumably Canadian since .ca site, so $5945 USD. Even as a 20-year-old timepiece, it still went down $3261 in value. :haw:

When I was in my teens my grandparents bought one, then sold it 1 year later. Chrysler seemingly prolonged the malaise era for decades after everybody got out of their manufacturing funk.
It's actually quite a bit worse than that:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

People always say this, but this doesn't actually seem to be the case for myself or anyone that I know.

I had to replace my car recently. My budget was anywhere up to about $40k. I ended up spending around $20k on a used car because I literally couldn't buy a new one in that price range that ticked even most of my boxes without spending a ton of money and still making a lot of compromises.

Most of the people in my immediate group of friends are 30-somethings that range from pretty drat poor to pretty drat successful, and they all bitch and moan about new car options. The ones that do end up buying new cars bitch and moan about compromises. These aren't obsessive car enthusiasts, they're just normal people.

I just don't understand who new cars are actually being marketed towards.
Best I can tell, this guy:

kimcicle posted:

Saw this posted in another thread, had to share it here.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nitrox posted:

I remember years ago, some goon posted pictures of his Miata, that he bashed with the baseball bat, because of some unrelated mental issues or something. Maybe he moved to Florida and continuing the tradition
Was it blue?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'd drive the hell out of that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

angryrobots posted:

My first speeding ticket was in a Chevette and I got clocked at 72 mph.

I still think it was bullshit.
What were you towing it with?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, he calls it an M3, but it's a 325i with an M3 engine and some other (but not all) bits. It's a downgraded M3, not an upgraded one, so it makes sense, I guess?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

boxen posted:

It's going to be hard to move that sweet mural, though.
Obviously you mount the body/chassis on the wall in your living room, duh

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

That is what drywall screws are made for.
No, those are for automotive bodywork. What are you, slow?

:q:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Timely question, and while not the right thread persay, he just posted this video a few days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnFcxHeJxA
Yeah, he’s alive and well. I actually helped him move that thing the other day:

https://imgur.com/a/7l1Cm3R

There must have been so much asbestos coming out of that on the freeway. He doesn’t post much anymore but he’s still alive and the project ain’t dead.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm the... baking sheet? catching ATF 6 feet below the source of the drip.
Drip tray, it's significantly bigger than a baking sheet, and I am Jack's complete lack of surprise this meme continues.

I mean, it's interesting that the ATF is leaking, but drip trays are a pretty normal way of dealing with that.

edit: subtle

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 22, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Hello I am a young professional and I am never in a million years buying a Cadillac. Give me the Audi and BMW, please.
Cadillacs are for olds duh

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

In terms of breaking, or in terms of the maintenance nightmare that is a front axle that goes through the oil pan?

it's both, I'm sure

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

taqueso posted:

is there a proxy service or something that lets me look without a facebook account?
Doubtful. You have to have a Facebook account that’s a certain age to even get access. I think it took around a month for me, but supposedly it varies.

Pointedly, I setup an account JUST to access marketplace. It has very little info at all, though I did put some in to seem more trustworthy. I’m not sure why I bothered because I regularly get “is this still available” messages from obviously fake named accounts anyway.

For added hilarity, because we have to laugh so we don’t cry, I’ve had a bike listed for like two months. Maybe a message a week, very little serious interest.

Quarantine starts and I’m getting a message a day. No, gently caress you, I’m not dying of coronavirus to sell a $75 bike. Stay home, moron.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I had to jump back an image because when I clicked through them, I thought that thing had a MONSTER wing on the deck.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That CL ad is one of:
  • Just a scam/bullshit
  • The completely unknowledgeable owner for whom this was built (seems plausible given ^^^)
  • The constructor's ex, who wants to profit off of the sale but does not know what they have (although, the price belies this a little - they're obviously aware it's "valuable", but don't seem to know the technical side)
  • The deceased constructor's heir, otherwise same as above

Given it's CL, I'd bet on the first option, but the others aren't impossible.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Godholio posted:

Looks exactly like my coworker's. He just got it from his grandfather (who I think is in his 80s or 90s). No LT1 though, it's whatever the normal 350 was at the time. Still great, though I guess the AC is a little fucky.
Wasn’t that the LT1? I know there’s a new LT1 which is something cool but my recollection back then was that it was just the 350 at the time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BUY IT

I mean, I have no direct answers to your questions, but fuuuuuuuuck, that thing is cool.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Um, yeah, would. Daily.

edit: hmmmmm, this but an LS400...

About that...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFK9P5SnI5y/

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Driving one of those is up there in "fond memories" for me. Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is that structural diamond plate?

Dear god.