Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

maxallen posted:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/1776009152.html

Oh god I'm tempted but I'm pretty sure I should get something that can haul a bunch of tools around but hahaha a triumph with a rotary that's something (help me this ad makes me feel funny things).

The Triumph 1500 it came with probably went through main bearings and thrust washers faster than that rotary can swallow apex seals. Consider that an improvement, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1727679955.html

quote:

very clean, 280zx straight six with 14" daytons and new paint. Do not really want to sell, need $2ooo for ten months, will repay $2500. This is a 20% return on investment. You hold the title and
contract. If return of monies is not within ten month period, the car is yours for $2000. Must see to appreciate.

I don't understand this listing at all. What's to stop someone from giving him $2000 and a fake name, then taking the car and title?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Toucan Sam posted:

I saw this on Jalopnik, can't believe it hasn't been posted in this thread. If it was closer i would have bought it hours ago.

http://bham.craigslist.org/cto/1785899154.html

Imagine how much rattling and creaking that thing probably makes lumbering down the road. It also seems kind of lazy not to rattlecan the door flat green to match after all that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Plek posted:

Why the hell does it seem like every car from the 80s comes with a "HOLLEY CARB KIT" tacked on?

Because carburetor are mysterious boxes of magic whose shininess and name-brand markings make the biggest contributions to their performance.

Carburetors are mechanical computers that no normal person couldn't understand.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 25, 2010

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Hah, "NOT A KIT CAR." Just the thought of someone selling a replica kit for something as dime-a-dozen as an MGB.

We've got a guy in our local MG club that stuffed the entire drivetrain from a 90's Camaro into a Midget, but it looks like poo poo and he's too crazy to carry on a conversation with.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 22, 2010

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sir Tonk posted:

$5000 max. I don't want to have to get it painted, do major body work, or fix rust issues (I've already got two cars that need that). I can do interior work and engine stuff, but won't have time until next year to do anything major. I'm looking for obscure big body cruisers with large V8's, since they tend to go for less than the well-known models like Mustangs and all Cadillacs. I'd also rather have something with strong air-conditioning, or a convertible, since it's hot as gently caress down here.

Never heard of HAMB, I'll be checking out the site after lunch. Thanks.

As someone with a convertible without A/C, its not a substitute. You'll still sweat through your shirt at the first stoplight.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It read just like an eBay ad for cheap electronics from Hong Kong.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

destructo posted:

*looks at taillights, ignores obvious alignment issues*

Dealerships have janitors too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There's so much Cavalier in the tail end of that fake Z3 it makes me throw up a little.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

You Are A Elf posted:

^
That is a sweet, sweet ride for a great price.

This, however, is not.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/1893873717.html

Click here for the full 1100x931 image.

This poor thing. Someone buy it and pull and Old Yeller to put it out of its misery.

I couldn't figure out which end was the front in the first photo.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I paid almost $300 for a 3" diameter ash tree last year. Trees are surprisingly expensive.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

So you believe that tree is worth about the same as a 95 Toyota?

He didn't say it had to run.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I found a pretty awesome mini-RV on craigslist, and had a long conversation with the seller on the phone. He knows his stuff, had compression numbers on hand, and I felt like he was being honest with me.

Only problem is that it's a plane-ride away near Orange County, CA and I won't be free for about 3 weeks. My buddy and I are set on flying out with roundtrip tickets, then either driving it up the coast and back, or just flying home.

Only problem is the seller is hesitant about holding it that long. I suggested a deposit, and he said he's do it for $500, but is there any way for me to do that without A) getting scammed over or B) looking like a scammer (escrow scams)?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

slidebite posted:

A lawyer will generally hold funds in their trust account for a small fee. Ask if he would do that.

I got the idea of sending him a photo of a plane ticket for the arranged day next to a cashiers check in his name printed by the bank. I figured that was enough to prove I was serious. He didn't go for it, and I pretty much passed.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

slidebite posted:

But understands the < > signs :psyduck:

You mean the Pac-Man Operators? Pac-Man always eats the bigger number. Any 3rd grader knows that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I wonder if deals ever come out of car trade ads like that one, or worse, the ones that list nothing BUT trade suggestions without an asking price. I mean, I've never known anyone who traded a car for another car, and the sellers are really limiting their audience.

I'd much rather trade my car for money, then trade someone else money for their car.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

kimbo305 posted:

Awesome, but how do you even contact that guy?

I hate those "see below" posts. I ran into one on something I was really interested in, and all craigslist would let me do was send an automatically generated note to the seller saying "someone" was interested, while i refreshed the ad for a few days hoping contact info would show up.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Black88GTA posted:

That said...how little financial sense can one person possess? This is mind boggling. :psyduck:

Seen any of the rent-to-own furniture repo threads in A/T? People rent toasters. Xboxes on two year plans for $50/month.

I have no trouble believing shopping a "buy here pay here" "we approve anything" lot would make any stupid deal necessary to drive a status brand.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

KlementGottwald posted:

Mid-1990's J-bodies are rapidly disappearing(there is a particular reason). He's kinda right.

They're a kind of car that I see and think, "someone really wanted that." Someone eyed that thing from across a dealership and fell in love. Someone worked really hard to make monthly payments on THAT as a new car.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ReaperUnreal posted:

Oh of course, my mistake, it's "certified."

When worded like that, it just has to be certified to be an actual Camry.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

From memory, that looked a lot like an Austin 7

Then wikipedia confirmed that "in Japan Nissan used the 7 design as the basis for their original cars, though not under licence."

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

angryhampster posted:

I am about to have a supper charged with hot sauce and beer.

waste of food.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I like the last line in a cartoonish Italian accent.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

el topo posted:

For some reason the people that like to put wide-body kits on their cars tend to leave their stock wheels and tires on. That's really not a good look. "Hella unflush"?

It's because if the could afford the wheels, tires AND body kit, they would have started with a nicer car.

Same reason there are so many 15 year old kitted out Civics in primer.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

slidebite posted:

Also, I don't give a gently caress but I'd drive the hell out of this. Not worth $70K unless I was literally using $100 bills for lighting cigars, but it'd be a fun ride for a weekend.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-Mad-Max-Interceptor-W0QQAdIdZ139445566

I don't understand that "appraisal." It's just a replica, and there's no way he's got it insured for $109,000.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Cop posted:

Shouldn't that be 6 wheel off-road?

I don't think anyone publishes that magazine.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

leica posted:

Jesus, some people are really super obsessed with money.

Yet the treatment on that Cutlass just makes him look poor.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The limo driver gets leather seats, but there's cloth in the back?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Mr-Spain posted:

I think that's a bit high for the TR-6, not sure about the other one. One interesting thing is that while helping restore my dad's 1952 MG TD, we found out that the company kept no records of the color that they put on a particular car. There are correct colors for the years, but no individual records. He's going to repaint from an almost aggie maroon (almost certainly not the original color) to BRG with tan leather and burlwood dash. Once he paints the thing I'll get a project thread done.

Early MGs didn't even have consistent colors day to day. Old timers say that the Abingdon factory was notorious for just tossing whatever leftover paint they had on hand into the mix.

Especially after the war when the company had a lot of military colors on hand, the red on car built one day would look radically different from the red on one built a week later.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

King of False Promises posted:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/2293760092.html

Ready for racing, except that you need to put a motor and transmission into it!

Similar cars have been posted here before. It might be so the buyer can drop in whatever engine suits their racing class.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MATLAB 1988 posted:

I've never seen a stock DeLorean on the streets, only painted or back-to-the-future'd ones. Missouri :sigh:

There are a few tasteful ones regularly taken on the streets around KC. You must live on the wrong side of the state.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Rocket Salad posted:

Once upon a time, people bought a Bentley or a Rolls or two and kept them for life. As in the owner's lifetime, not the vehicle's. I think all the Rollers getting dumped right now stem from the neuveau riche getting shafted by the economy, certainly not the Old Money that keeps Bentley and Rolls Royce operating by paying cash.

The airline industry is what keeps Rolls Royce in business. The car division was sold off in 1973 to fund jet engine development, and since the late 90s VW has built Bentleys and RR-branded cars are by BMW.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Scientist posted:

What is a tempo engine?

The engine from a Tempo?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Familiar, but it's not the goon-made one. Unless there's more than one goon making Jurassic Park and Ghostbusters replica vehicles.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2773074&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post340056125

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sterndotstern posted:

He means a Panhard bar.

Wouldn't that bar force the wheels laterally a bit with extreme vertical movement of the suspension? I guess the longer the bar is, the less drastic its arc and maybe to the point of it not being an issue.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SwashedBuckles posted:

One of the comments says it was a production model. That can't possibly be true, right? Who the hell would seriously make a limo out of an economy car?

And he wants significantly more than $15,000 for it?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've got a '94 Accord listed on CL for $2000. I'm getting really sick of the "What's the lowest amount of money you will accept for this car?" calls and texts.

Am I wrong to be a little annoyed? I usually respond, "Come have a look. If you want to make an offer we can try to make a deal," but usually that's the end of the conversation.

I've got an asking price. I feel like I shouldn't have to show my cards first.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Crustashio posted:

No, you're in the right. People on craigslist/kijiji are notrious for trying to lowball a price/trade without even seeing the item. I had someone offer me 2 piercings (plus jewelry!!!) for a 50 gallon terrarium+stand I was selling for 50 bucks. It's even worse when selling cars that aren't in perfect condition. People think because there are a few issues you should knock a few thousand off. I do find you weed out idiots if you have an ad with lots of pictures and a good description of any problems. I always wonder if the ads with one blurry upside down cellphone picture and no listing of basic features (like transmission) get sales.

I never list a phone # in an ad. Much less time wasted when I can just delete an email instead of having to field calls all day. I'll gladly give it out if someone emails and wants to ask about it, but it filters a lot of the garbage.

I had been using a throwaway GoogleVoice number so I could stop all calls when I'm busy and block any real idiots, but yea, I'm going email-only.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jezrael posted:

You're always better off asking for more than you really want. That way hagglers feel like they got a bargain, and you got the price you wanted in the first place.

Which is exactly why I chose my asking price, expecting to be haggled down. I just don't understand these people willing to ask, "how much lower will you go?" without even seeing the car. That's not how negotiating works. It's rude, and it's been happening a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Well, after my complaining about random low-ballers on my Accord, someone showed up, had me take the car to his mechanic, and paid $100 for a pre-purchase inspection, then despite a bunch of problems, paid my inflated asking price cash.

Hang in there sellers.