Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

glyph posted:

seems we've got a funny man here.

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/car/599914637.html
Ithaca buddy!

Looks like someone tried to take the shortcut down South Hill via Buttermilk Falls...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

CommieGIR posted:

The 300D's WERE all Inline 5 VW Diesels

That being said, he marked that thing WAY up
I am absolutely certain that is not true.

The OM617 that is in that car is 99.98% Mercedes-Benz, the other .02% owing to assorted Bosch products as well as some margin of error.

CumGuzzler posted:

Anyone have a spare $225,000 laying around?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/677390619.html
Holy Christ.

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 20, 2008

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Oh Ithaca, my Ithaca,
My poor, sweetly retarded Ithaca...

So goes the ancient Greek poem, just as it does today.

no cars have to many kids for a car

:(

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Baby Hitler posted:

Bihmer? Never heard that in a lifetime of exposure to BMWs, not even ironically.
When I first got my old BMW (easier to say and type!) I once got a lecture on the history of beemer/bimmer from a cranky old mechanic when I used the wrong pronunciation. I don't remember any of it but it was boring and stupid.

And here's the gold: I like to call it "2 cars 1 bike"

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 8, 2008

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
This is something beautiful.

'76 Triumph Bonneville for $4100 (the ad is really too short to be worth copy'n'pasting.

Offsite photos.

Sometimes CL surprises me with nice things and for a time my faith in the site is renewed.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
sounds like a deal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

salt the fries! posted:

Don't tell me I'm alone in thinking it being RHD is cool as well?
Not as cool as it having a 13B ROTORY with a TURBO GAUGE.

(Don't buy this one because the seller is clearly retarded.)

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
A Fiat 500 in Ithaca, NY?

:monocle:

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/cto/866123684.html

Click here for the full 816x1286 image.

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 6, 2008

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

leica posted:

Think he's trying to hide something?
I've seen that car. He's trying to hide that it looks like poo poo.

salt the fries! posted:

ASK FOR DEVO ANYTIME

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 7, 2008

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Words fail me now, though I did say "oh god" out loud when I first saw this.

I think I'll dub it the Saabeat

Here's a link but the site's is in Japanese so I have no idea what's going on, just that it turned up in a search for Honda Beats v:)v

http://autos.yahoo.co.jp/ucar/search/detail.html?arid=U000000CU0002610671&car_cd=HOS062&clid=218859001&photo=0

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

VideoTapir posted:

That's an ad for a car for sale, that is what is going on. He is asking 11 grand for that monstrosity.
o i c

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

glyph posted:

"THIS GUY... loving "ROCKS""
Fixed.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
If anyone here's playing AI Bingo, you can check off the "camero" square.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
I COULDN'T MAKE IT WORK SO I WENT AND BOUGHT ANOTHER CAR

Click here for the full 761x678 image.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Aceshighxxx posted:

I honestly can't figure out what "litter fix" is supposed to mean.
It means inze need one.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

VideoTapir posted:

Apparently there's a collection being sold off in St. Louis. This is probably the most interesting item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1952...=item4ceb486712
This car was made off of blueprints from a 1950's issue of Modern Mechanics, an awesome DIY magazine of which many (if not most) issues are available online.

I always wondered if someone actually built one of these, and if it survived. Well, here's my answer. This find is truly loving awesome and probably belongs in the Most AI-est thread.

edit: http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006...mbs&Qis=XL#qdig

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 18, 2009

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
1958 Wade Hornet Child's Race Car

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/cto/1500461026.html

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

IOwnCalculus posted:

This brings poor CL photos to a new low:

I dunno, at least the one on the right isn't shaky.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Houston is a loving goldmine.

Volvo s70 tutbo
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2168104799.html

Click here for the full 903x685 image.

Does anyone know if this Corvette is for real? Looks hinky but what do I know.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2168102449.html

take one step closet to becoming the next IOwnCalculus
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2168085144.html

Click here for the full 737x521 image.

so many crazy little quips at the end of posts

"No legacy is so rich as honesty." <3 ~~[William Shakespeare]~~
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2168016197.html

Click here for the full 1236x684 image.

THE BEST, JERRY! THE BEST!

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 19, 2011

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

heat posted:

Maybe you missed the part where it has LAMBO DOORS!!!!
drat IT!!!!!!

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

another loser posted:

DJ Commie posted:

That'd be the dead pedal, not the you-are-dead pedal. I expect the accelerator pedal is out of sight.
Just gotta reach back to the post to emphatically state that these photos are not authentic.

You'll see there are two photos showing the pedal cluster in that craigslist ad. The photo on the right, takeen at a wider angle, clearly shows that there is no gas pedal at the right by the door sill. The leftmost pedal is the gas pedal, not a dead pedal. These photos have clearly been flipped to make it appear RHD.

Just wanted to get that out there because you're otherwise right-on the other 99.99% of the time.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Stay classy, Cornell greeks.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Here's a nice polluted tract in scenic South Jersey, contaminated with some Air Cooled ephemera.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/2285639796.html

More pics in the ad, and the photos in the ad link to a photobucket album. Doesn't look like any floorpans can be saved, but lots of trim and glass, and who know what go-fast parts might be hiding under some of those hoods...

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

I want to go there SO bad.

Also, nice job collecting them for 30 years and spelling it wrong twice.
Just caught that mistake myself. I love it when people spell it "Volkswagon" like it's a fucken Radio-Flyer.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

opengl128 posted:

You know, just decided to rebuild the transmission to be sure its mechanically sound. No other reason.
Value added maintenance, of course. Besides, certainly he's a professional.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Cthulhuite posted:

I live in Britain, my 18 year old car has disks as bright as the day they came out of the factory. :smug:
I live in the United States and my 20 year old car's original discs are probably iron oxide dust at the bottom of a landfill.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

max4me posted:

so what about Bently or rolces roce
Once upon a time, people bought a Bentley or a Rolls or two and kept them for life. As in the owner's lifetime, not the vehicle's. I think all the Rollers getting dumped right now stem from the neuveau riche getting shafted by the economy, certainly not the Old Money that keeps Bentley and Rolls Royce operating by paying cash.

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 29, 2011

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

eddiewalker posted:

The airline industry is what keeps Rolls Royce in business. The car division was sold off in 1973 to fund jet engine development, and since the late 90s VW has built Bentleys and RR-branded cars are by BMW.
I'm quite aware of RR PLC's aviation business, I just thought we were talking about buying and selling cars. Perhaps I misspoke, but the point I meant to make is that it's the Saudi Princes, Hong Kong elite, and landed gentry of the Old Country that give the crew from Crewe a reason to exist.

Moreover, I was attempting to show RR/Bentley's new place in the modern consumer, automotive, and economic cultures. I sincerely doubt that FC Kerbeck of Philadelphia would have kept five Phantoms, Corniches, or Silver Shadows in stock ($1.5 million retail value) back in the Seventies and Eighties as they are doing now with a fleet of Ghosts: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/ncal.jsp?ncal_id=5887407&ct=n&car_id=294314874&dealer_id=100018562

What does this say? To me, I see the diversification of the Rolls Royce and Bentley brands as a dilution of the values the mark professed for eighty-some years - those of hand-built reliability and ruggedness, and supreme value given that we're talking cars designed to last longer than your house.

1978 was Rolls' best year for sales, moving nearly four thousand units. Last year they did just over two thirds that following years of slowly climbing triple-digit numbers. So really, what do I know. I'm just wondering why twenty years ago I didn't catch too many off-lease - let alone dealer stock - Rollers and Bentleys in the DuPont Registry, whereas today there seems to be a virtual glut. Aren't they traditionally the kind of car you'd option-out yourself? Or is it just that 300 Grand is worth less now than it used to be?

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 29, 2011

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

rscott posted:

Well its pretty obvious that 300K isn't worth as much as it was back in 1978 or whatever.
Well, Keynes, let's see what that $300k is really worth when adjusted for inflation?

Using the CPI as a guide, $300k in 2010 is roughly equal to $74.1k in 1975.
In 1975, a Silver Shadow invoiced for $38,750. That's about $157k today, according to the CPI.
High Retail for a Silver Shadow these days is $29k-ish. Yeeesh.

I'm not sure what I've proved here other than some astounding inflation.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Tai-Pan posted:

I have never met anyone, anywhere who ever viewed RR and Bentleys as "reliable" or "rugged". One of the main selling points of the Maybach was, essentially, "this car is not a tremendous pile of unreliable poo poo". It takes a LONG time to earn a reputation as bad as RR, much longer than the BMW ownership.
It took about the last thirty five years, in fact. There was a time before electronics that these cars were massively overbuilt. Hard to break something that understressed.

Tai-Pan posted:

Also, I think you might simply be seeing an observer bias here.
That much is true. I mean, I checked Autotrader for Rolls Royces, ferchristsake.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Why the gently caress do they have it on dune buggy tires?

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

VideoTapir posted:

Because a type A personality will just throw any old loving tires on it and DRIVE it...loving yesterday, while a girly man will wait for Tire Rack to deliver.
While a man with enough money to take care of an Espada will probably overnight decent rubber from Tire Rack :chord:

Those shits he has on there now - the shiny balloons half covered in spray paint - look like they're as old as the car.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

slidebite posted:

In addition to the horrible fitting (must be great for wind noise) my point is a camaro/firebird conversion in the first place. It's just a why would you even do that? For the amount he probably put into it, he probably could have 2 decent specimens of each.

Really, how much do you think he spent on that fiberglass hood? Paint doesn't count because honestly, how do you think the paint's going to look on these, the last four decent f-bodies you speak of? Performance parts also do not count because you'd need to buy four of each for your argument to hold water.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Huh, an Opel GT on eBay?

has all the ground efects..whale tait.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

ZenMastaT posted:

I actually have the money for this and I am sorely tempted - also hilarious to see two separate KITTs are for sale at the same time.

only need to spend two or three thousand dollars more to have a car worth maybe two or three thousand dollars!

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Rhyno posted:

Or guys who can't get the time off work so they have to ship it?
Oh you mean guys who are afraid to ask for time off because they want to impress their boss with their work output instead of with actual awesomeness? Look at me I'm not even man enough to just ask the boss for time off to drive a car cross-country for shits and giggles.

Y'all missed some actual loving gold by not perusing that government auction posted earlier.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
"Goofy idle" is some Grade-AA copywriting.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
I recall, back in the day, the parking lot at Mopar's R&D offices was full of turbo'd and engine-swapped K-Cars and AA-Cars. The engineers seemed to especially love building souped-up four-door Acclaims and Spirits.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
And he didn't give a reply email, not even a masked craigslist one. So I clicked the "let poster know they haven't provided a contact" button like two million times.

Just doing my part! :patriot:

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
That car is brutally 70's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Not retarded at all.