Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Is there a running tally for cheapest car with W8?

http://florencesc.craigslist.org/cto/5689422506.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

^^^haha! Similar experience when I sold my truck a few months ago, very detailed with all major maintenance listed with dates and mileage. Had length of ownership and reason for selling (I don't know but people ask).

Every other call goes "So tell me about the truck?"...like think of a question or something seriously. That being said, it was sold cash in hand in 5 hours.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

1990 Justy in Charlotte NC

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5745063960.html

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rscott posted:

1985 Mercedes 300 D Turbo Diesel, automatic transmission. Title status clean.
For quick sale only $1,950.

Already gone, drat that was a steal.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5813797523.html

A little more expensive than the pop up headlight prelude on the last page, but this one is red.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 6, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5859080920.html

quote:

Good running 1941 Chevy G506, 1.5 ton, 4WD WW2 military truck. Starts, runs, drives and stops like it should. Nearly rust free, excellent body with dents which can be seen in the pictures and can be straightened. Has original 1941 power brakes that work well, which is very rare. Upgrades added: power steering by the previous owner. You can steer this truck with one finger. Electric fuel pump and one wire GM alternator. Changed from 6 volt to 12 volt. Clear N.C. Title ready to transfer. I had it tagged and insured last year and drove it on the highway. Doors open and latch, Windows roll up and down with help. Has the early serpentine grill and round military gauges. Not a restored truck but ready as is to drive or to restore.

I want this something fierce.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I saw the cutest little dumptruck today and thought someone might be interested. It's in Salisbury MA right by the NH border.
I would have a hard time passing this up if I were closer.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5949586655.html

quote:

1984 ltd lx 1990 5.0 ho with 72,000 miles
world class T5 with 72,000 miles
All new clutch, pressure plate,bearing.fly wheel
Aluminum drive shaft
All new brakes,calipers
New headliner and sun visors
New tires
long tube hooker headers
holly street avenger carb
Street master intake
One wire crome alt
New a/c compressor and dryer, some new hoses
New struts and shocks
New gas tank and sender
Procomp dist and coil
Under drive pullys
New radiator
Fire wall clutch adjustment
Pioneer am/fm/cd with remote
This car has the original paint and looks good the inside is clean as a pin and no problems.
The price is 8,500.00 Firm and I do have all paper work for parts. Also have original widow sticker
and service manuals. This car is a low production 2 year run and is rare.

:stare:

LTD converted to 5.0 and t5, and working A/C.

I mean how do you put a value on this? Anybody else think it's pretty fair? Only thing I see is the column tach, I guess they couldn't get the signal straight to use the stock one?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

I think that's a fox body based car, so it's like a normal LTD with a mustang power train. The swap isn't difficult, the 302 and the T5 aren't particularly valuable, and the AC probably connected easily. It's clean, if you like it buy it, but I don't think it's going to be fast with that engine and transmission. I think the world class T5 had a reputation for not holding a lot of power and the 302 blocks split in half without major work above 350?ish.

Ya I get all that, but I have not seen a fox sedan that clean in...I don't know maybe ever. One already with a well-done (if lacking in big power) swap, I know I've never seen.

Just seems like good fun.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Larrymer posted:

I don't know how they ever get two engine'd cars to shift without pissing off the other set of drive wheels.

I read something about this some time ago. Of course I can't find it now, but the gist of it was that it's not as funky as it seems, because their only physical connection is the road surface.

So the drivetrains can behave independently, and the effect of the "other" engine/trans on either, is basically the same as said car being pushed from behind by another car.

Of course I know you're an engineer and I could be completely wrong!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Just like a flashy paint job gets all the bitches, a flashy boat gets all the fishes.

Shiny car gets rear end and shiny boat gets bass?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's cool, I like it.

....Is that a Merkur Scorpio in the background? Huh. Been forever since I've seen one of those.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wasn't someone on here looking for a sports back?

https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/cto/d/rare-1989-nissan-pulsar-nx-16l/6634643647.html

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It has a salvage title.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

:captainpop:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I saw my old 89 GT rotting in a back yard a couple weeks ago.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I feel like I know exactly how the interior of that car smells

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My first speeding ticket was in a Chevette and I got clocked at 72 mph.

I still think it was bullshit.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I know right!

It was on the way to school, and my buddy driving past heard my incredulous "Seventy!?!?" reply to the cop after the "Do you know why I pulled you over/how fast you were going" song and dance.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Chrysler has always, and continues to make cool cars that fall apart

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Do you know much about older BMWs? This one has no collectors value and does not drive any better than a 90's Maxima.

Nuh uh

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

boxen posted:

AWD Turbo Celica? I think the drivetrain from one of those fits into an old mini without a lot of work.

:britain:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

There's nothing more expensive than a cheap M3 right?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It also spent its entire life in the NE, only recently sold at auction and moved south. And it was stolen and recovered twice.... And the last owner serviced it at pep boys. At least it got serviced I guess? I'm fine with an SMG car, converting to manual is very much in my wheelhouse.

All that being said.... The scariest part to me is the NE ownership, and whatever the underside looks like because of it. :stare:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

taqueso posted:

is there a proxy service or something that lets me look without a facebook account?

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/

This works in Chrome for me without a login. The interface is poo poo and sometimes I get a "sign up" prompt but you can search locally and all.

Speaking of, I got a targeted ad on Amazon the other day about "Come back to Facebook and see what your friends are doing" :catstare:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oh man I really want a v6 Accord now

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm the date stamps on those pictures.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Couple years ago I had to unload a 96 Ranger I bought as a project and almost immediately blew out what was left of its rings. The ad clearly stated that it ran, ac worked, currently tagged and insured but the motor was junk and on its last legs, smoking like a coal train.

I had so many calls from guys who were hours away and wanted to know if they could drive it home, one guy wanted to "use it for a couple weeks until my next check comes in" and I had to ghost him for his own good.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's a tempting way to do it, but I don't really want to give out my address unless i know someone is coming for sure.

Yeah I'd rather have some control about who is coming, and when if I'm doing CL.

If it's something I'm giving away, I have a sign made up that says FREE and I'll put it by the road. Sometimes even stuff that you'd think is garbage, like old construction materials and crappy old furniture. I watched a guy fit most of the upper kitchen cabinets from my grandma's house that got torn down into the back seat and truck of a Mercedes sedan.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I don't care about my address, it just seems like putting it on the curb and on an internet posting up for grabs is asking for conflict. I don't want to deal with someone who's pissed because the thing left 5 minutes ago "and I drove all this way". But then, I've never had an issue just leaving stuff out, either.

People are nuts. You do what works, bud.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FWIW, the Kodiak/C5500 trucks that we used to have at work were the worst-riding trucks I've ever driven. Like, dangerous bump-steer bad. The larger Ford F-750's we also had, were not much better. Getting parts sucks because they're a hodgepodge of built-to-order drivetrains with a pickup body grafted on a big truck frame. Standardization? Lmao. For medium duty trucks, IMO stick with companies that specialize in them like Freightliner or International, and only if that's what you really need.

Actually, we still have one C5500 that's mid 90's vintage with less than 70k miles. I used it about a month ago and it's kinda fun in a way (because driving it smoothly takes skill) but it's just a rough riding beast with a 50lb clutch and absolutely not better than a 1-ton truck for regular highway hauling.

The above posted truck LOOKS really cool and imo is the best pickup conversion I've seen.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The tailgate is functional. The center dip lets you hook up to a 5th wheel, and the hinged center door lets you hook up to a gooseneck, both without dropping the whole gate. If you have to drop the tailgate, with most trailers you have a very narrow margin of error between stopping at the right spot and going too far and hitting the trailer. Then there's forgetting to put it back up and hearing the awful crunch soon as you make a small turn.

Can't speak to the bumper exhaust passthrough, ha.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

There was definitely a C3500 dually pickup in 1971.

I think what happened with the fenders is that he has to run adapters for the Alcoas, so the front fenders are stock plus the lip which is probably as wide as the adapter adds, and he fabricobbled the rears to "match".

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I was thinking that I know I've seen them, but if this ad is to be believed, the pickup bed with fenders is a rare dealer add-on. Which is par for HD trucks until very recently so I could believe it.

http://classicvehicleslist.com/chevrolet/113729-1971-chevrolet-1-ton-c3500-dually-pickup-truck-no-rust-2nd-owner-rare.html

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Did your dad's truck have a PTO?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Driving the wrong way is illegal, so definitely that one.

That's actually a big pet peeve of mine, as I live in the country on a winding 55mph rural road and it's very common for people to check their mail by pulling the wrong way up to their mailbox. Very nice to come around a blind corner and find you're facing a car halfway in your lane with traffic also oncoming.

Pull into your driveway, get your fat rear end out and walk to the mailbox.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Roll gauge.

:drat:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NoWake posted:

Only an hour away. I don't need it but drat, I kinda want it. If it has 3 pedals I might just end up taking it home.

Try to find out if they've done any diagnosis. Misfire doesn't necessarily mean an easy, worn ignition parts related issue.

Personally, I'd want to test compression unless the price is so good it's worth fixing HG/valve/rings/engine swap to you. Unfortunately something I found out from experience.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'd definitely try to at least get a 6.0 if you want to pull a car trailer and haul heavy poo poo regularly. 2500 also gets you the heavier bits to help with hauling. If you can find an 8.1, that came with the Allison 1000 transmission which is basically bulletproof unless abused. Also, unless you really need 4wd, it's a lot more crap to break, and leak, and it's in the way (like if you need to drop the oil pan)

I think their asking price is a little high, but truck prices are kinda silly from what I've seen, so maybe that's about right I dunno.

Nice truck if you can deal with a single cab

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Thorough, well written listing with all the details on a vehicle that's being sold as road-ready for a very competitive asking price. Maintenance history, state of consumables, flaws all documented or mentioned.

rear end in a top hat calls, "So what can you tell me about the truck?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Coredump posted:

One thing that I've had happen to me here recently is sellers who absolutely will not budge on parts prices. One guy was selling core support for $175 offered $160 wouldn't take. And just this weekend had a guy who wouldn't take $120 on a $125 rear bumper cover. I'm there in person with cash in hand and wouldn't take $120 from a $125 asking price. smh.

If you were really serious about your offer you'd be willing to walk away and call their bluff. It sounds like you didn't, so either their price was fair, or the sellers were better negotiators than you are.

:capitalism: