Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
LP REQUESTS DO NOT GO IN THIS THREAD, THEY GO HERE
:siren: NEW CHANGE DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND :siren:
Offsite recommendations are allowed in this thread. Note that only the best of the best offsite LPs should be recommended, not just some random Youtube poo poo you happened to watch one night because you were bored. Please don't bog this thread down with recommendations of mediocre Youtube LPs. Also, all below rules also apply to offsite recommendations (ie. you still cannot recommend your own LPs)

There's been a lot of negativity in the forum lately, so I figured, why not do something that we can all appreciate? With all of the LPs out there, how do I know which ones are worth my time and which ones aren't? Sure, we have the rating system, but a lot of pretty good threads slip under the radar, so here's your chance to give some recognition to threads that may not necessarily have it.

:siren: Rules/Recommendations :siren:

1) DO NOT NOMINATE YOUR THREAD OR A THREAD THAT YOU'RE A PART OF (ie. guest commentating)!

This isn't meant to be a "pimp your thread" thread. It's meant for LPers and LP fans to recommend other LPs to watch. We have the Sandcastle where you can talk about your thread.

2) If you want to respond to people talking about your thread, go right ahead, but don't shoehorn your thread into the conversation. Example:

LP Fanboy #1 posted:

You know, I'm really enjoying Static Fiend's Prey LP.

Proteus4994 posted:

Well, if you love his thread, check out Daikatana!

That's lame.

3) Along the same lines, don't ask why nobody's talking about your thread. In fact, it's probably best off if you never ever mention your threads at all. If you want to know why nobody's talking about your thread, use the Sandcastle or your thread itself.

4) Feel free to talk about gold rated threads if you want, but the idea behind this thread is to advertise some of the threads that might have fallen under the radar. We all know Chewbot's Animal Crossing thread (for example) is spectacular, so it's kinda redundant to put it in here, but if you want to, go ahead.

5) Try to give some sort of substantual reason for why you like the thread.

Marry me, taxi posted:

dongs.exe is the best LP ever! taxidermistpasta is so funny!

While this might be true, it's kind of a lousy description of why I should check out his LP. Try to give good reasons. Treat this thread more like it's in Game/Film Dump instead of like it's in PYF.

If you can't give a good reason why you like the thread, I can't give you a good reason why I'd follow your suggestion and watch it.

6) Try to curtail discussion that isn't directly related to a recommendation.

I know sometimes someone might say something that might make you want to respond, but try to keep the conversation limited to either a recommendation or something involving recommendations. For example, the following is OK.

"Hey, I wanted to follow poster X's recommendation, but the Vimeo links are all dead. Is there a mirror?"

But this is not.

"Vimeo sucks because they disallow LPs and try to brand themselves as an arthouse hosting site. No one should ever go to Vimeo. Also, they raped my dog."

If you want to discuss stuff like why Viddler sucks or the best way to host screenshots or ask where Deceased Crab went, please use the Sandcastle.

I've had to be something of a dick about this lately, but in my ideal world (which will never happen), this thread would be nothing but well-constructed recommendations, well-constructed comments about recommendations, and well-constructed requests for recommendations. This is not a discussion thread. Please don't treat it like one. That's not to say you can't agree with someone's recommendation or anything like that, but if you do, please post a few sentences about why you agree, not just "gently caress yeah that thread owns!"

7) Not only do all SA Forums, Games forum, and LP forum rules apply here (obviously), but Sandcastle rules also apply. No interest checks in this thread. If people are recommending an LP of a game, you can safely assume they'd probably want to see another one (as long as it's not lovely).

8) Lately the thread has been full of "Has anyone done game X?" USE THE loving MASTER LIST! THIS IS WHY IT EXISTS!

I guess I'll start us off. If this thread turns out lousy, I'll close it, but I'm hoping we can keep drama out of here.

:siren: If someone posts a recommendation about a thread that you think is awful, you should probably just keep quiet about it. Just because you hate it doesn't mean everyone will. In almost three years, I have yet to see someone recommend a truly objectively terrible thread (note: this is not a challenge). I've seen plenty of recommendations for threads I didn't care for, but different strokes for different folks. :siren:

Nethack - Lobster Maneuver (SSLP)

This thread serves not only as a pretty good introduction to Nethack, but LM is really close to ascending his samurai, which means that the thread is moving well and there's very little repetition as one might expect from a Nethack LP (ie. I died over and over again, so here's the first floor of the dungeon over and over again). It's a very informative LP and both beginners and experts alike can read it and enjoy the way he's playing. Plus, there's some pretty good discussion about the game itself going on in the thread. If the whole ASCII art thing doesn't scare you off, it's a great way to learn about Nethack.

Quake - Wugga (VLP)

Wugga had some technical problems when he started the thread, which is unfortunate, because it probably drove a lot of the viewers away from the thread. However, those are fixed for the most part, and you get to see a pretty drat good Quake player blitz through the original game, and then try his hand at the expansions, which he has never played before. He even did a blind run of one of the stages, which was hilarious in its glitchiness. So far the first game and the first expansion pack are done, but there's still another expansion to go, plus it looks like some Quake deathmatch is going to get off the ground soon, which will be cool.

Hexen 2 - Suspicious (VLP)

OK, so this thread is basically over, but hell, it's on page 3, so I figure I have the chance to hype it. Everyone probably knows that Suspicious is my boy, but you guys get to see him actually play a game without me dragging him down. I don't think this thread is quite as good as Hexen and Heretic were (also done by Suspicious), but that's mainly because the game kinda sucks. If anyone wants to watch someone just completely humiliate a game, this is the thread for you. Plus, Hexen has some neat features that differentiate it from many other FPS games (like inherant powers and a leveling system and a ton of useable items), so it's kinda cool from that aspect too.

Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops - Lockmat (VLP)

I'm totally biased on this one, but it's been in the planning stages for a while, and it's good to see it finally get off the ground. Secret Ops was the expansion to WCP, and was ludicriously difficult in comparison. Lockmat is pretty drat good at the Wing Commander games (you have to be if you're going to justify getting a Kilrathi tattoo on you), and he's playing this at a fairly high difficulty rating, so it's going to be pretty wild once he gets to some of the harder stages. Worth a shot if you like space flying action or followed the Wing Commander games. If not, it's a good introduction.

No One Lives Forever - Vexation (VLP)

Yeah, I'm gay for FPS LPs. Sue me. NOLF is one of those games that kinda slipped through the radar back in the day, mainly because of the games it came out at the same time as, but it's a great game and fun to watch. Extremely story-driven (think Austin Powers in FPS format), Vexation decided to do subtitles instead of commentary, and for this game it works perfectly. The conversations are hilarious, the intelligence items are hilarious, and most importantly, Vexation knows how to sit back, shut up, and let the game speak for itself when it needs to.

Edit: If a game looks good or you want to follow someone's suggestion and you don't have archives, try looking in The LP Archives. Odds are it's in there.

Edit 2: Now that this thread is stickied, I guess I should point out in the OP (it's mentioned later in the thread somewhere) that this is also meant for asking for recommendations. In other words, feel free to post something like "Hey, I liked X's LP of Y. Is there anything like that that anyone can recommend?" Although it would be very helpful if you posted exactly what you liked about it, so people could make better recommendations.

Edit 3: I shouldn't have to say this, but don't recommend threads that just started. I can't give a concrete number of how many updates or whatever a thread should have before you recommend it, but I would suggest that the LP should at least be 1/4 to 1/3 complete before you post a recommendation. You don't know if the thread is going to be abandoned or if it's all going to go downhill from a great start or whatever. Just don't do this. Even if you've loved every other LP the person has done and they've never abandoned anything before ever, don't do it. It waters down both your recommendation and the recommendations of everyone else in here.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Okay, I'm down.

Ouendan 2 by Tasian

Easily one of the more inventive uses of a Video Let's Play, and for my money, probably the LP thread where I've seen the most "I bought the game because of this thread" replies. It's a great mix of "advertising a game via LP", "showing off my skills at a game via LP", "Bringing Audience Participation to a new level" and "being funny while complementing* a game (as opposed to getting in the way)". Succeeds in a lot of ways.

I think the Japanese name throws people off, but this really isn't Anime Game #0043.

* To be clear, "complement," not "compliment." As in, the commentary is unobtrusive and works with the game's natural humor.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Thanks to the OP, I learned about the ongoing nethack LP. I feel obligated to contribute a couple of my currently watched threads in thanks.

First off, two gold threads that should be on everyones watched list are The Dark Id's continued spiral into madness with Clock Tower 3 (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2688601&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1). Probably the most obvious LP, but I'd like to be thorough. I didn't know about the Animal Crossing LP either, even though it is apparently spectacular. I also missed out on the simply divine Sonic 2 thread. So as far as posting Gold threads, there's always the off-chance somebody can miss them.

In addition, there's Scochy's Blade Runner LP. (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2667681&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1) Both are excellent.

For less well known threads, there's LordMune's ongoing Fahrenheit = Indigo Prophecy thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2678735). It's an adventure/murder mystery game written by a schizo who really loves his simon says minigames. Format is in dual video's featuring two different playthroughs at the start.

Finally, there's b00n's VLPs in first person shooters. He first did Doom 3 (cannot find link) before moving on to HL:2. He currently finished HL:2 vanilla and is now working on Episode 1 and episode 2. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2661004

Edit - Forgot one. In the same vein is Static_Fiend's VLP of Quake 4 and Prey. Prey is currently ongoing (but almost finished) at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2687526 . He uses live commentary compared to b00n's subtitled commentary.

User0015 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 29, 2007

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It saddens me that so few seem to be reading 'The house seems to have a rat problem...' Let's Play: Scratches! [SS] by Montalvo, because it is an awesome thread. I really urge you all to go read it, and listen to the music when cued to do so. Montalvo's writing often makes the game more atmospheric than it actually is. The LP is just about to wrap up, too.

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone
Good idea for a thread.

I tend to like the threads where a game is featured that either A) I played a lot as a kid or B) was a sequel/hack of one. I'm not sure why that makes an LP so much better--maybe the nostalgia factor, but probably something more.

Or if the author of the thread is an LP Superstar that we know makes good LPs. Otherwise, it's difficult to know whether or not it's worth the bother of opening the thread. Especially since most new LPers do a bad job when they first start, so the first video you check out may not be good even if that LPer does great later on.

Straight action games tend not to make good LPs, unless the author has done something really different with them, such as Oyster's insane level conditions for the Megaman series.

My favorite "newbie" LP at the moment is the Final Fantasy IV thread (the one with the "two moons" in the title). I normally don't like screenshot LPs as much as videos, but it has a lot of extra atmosphere in the commentary as well as a lot of trivia.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It may be over, but Kungfu Jesus' Kingdom Hearts II was a great run while it lasted. While the thread has some issues 2/3 in with KFJ's hard-drive dying, it wasn't a problem, as he simply re-recorded the rest of the thread for us. From great moments like the opening moments of playing the wrong game, to throwing out the soundtrack of Nightmare Before Christmas level with the Reading Rainbow theme song. Plus, it does the impossible and makes you actually want to play Kingdom Hearts II (while skipping cut scenes) and thanks to that opening video, Godhand.

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

You're all so precious :3:
Can we pimp threads that seem to have died off that we really want to see continue? Because I was totally loving the Fire Emblem LP and hope whatever issues the OP has will be resolved soon so she can pick it up again :smith:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Syvalion posted:

Can we pimp threads that seem to have died off that we really want to see continue? Because I was totally loving the Fire Emblem LP and hope whatever issues the OP has will be resolved soon so she can pick it up again :smith:

Sure, I don't have a problem with anything people post in here, as long as it's not "HEY LOOK AT MY THREAD IT'S GREAT!"

Solar System Bus
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Syvalion posted:

On that note, the Spider Man Vs. The Kingpin thread was great in that MRIchalk took a terrible game and made it absolutely hilarious to follow with his commentary. He also explains a lot about the Spider Man universe while he's at it, which is pretty neat in itself. I just wish he would come back and finish it. :(

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I've got a few I keep my eye on.

Knights of the Old Republic: Wiseguy Edition. Funny, gold, and most importantly, recently updated.

Sword of the Stars: We had to glass the planet in order to save the planet. Unnecessarily long title, but one in which a fun and entertaining LP is forming.

Name him Dongs...FOR THE EMPEROR! Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. It isn't necessarily just John Dyne (and his seemingly undying dedication to this LP despite a fried hard drive and shattered knee cap, if I remember correctly) that make this LP worth watching. It's how much people got into it. There were posts made by people in character, the layout for the SSLP is nice, and his videos are done nicely. I sincerely hope this thread gets going again (John Dyne said after New Year's Eve a huge update is coming, which makes me giddy like a Japanese schoolgirl), and that the fun from before all of John's problems returns.

That's all I can think of now. Good idea, Proteus :D

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
45 years of giant robots! It's Gundam: Climax UC!
Screenshot LP by OatmealRaisin

He knocked his first LP, MS Saga, outta the park (it's in the LP Archive too). To be honest, this one probably isn't as funny, but it's still a good read. He's taking a different approach to writing it, using the Create A Character mode to tell an original story. I like seeing people try new stuff. Hopefully it'll be fun even if you aren't a Gundam nerd, like most of the regular posters.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Precision's Trinity LP is off to a steady start, and it has been thoroughly enjoyable so far. It's a text-based adventure game published by Infocom in the 80's... and well, the plot's best left to the reader to figure out. Precision is doing a good job of delivering interesting updates and keeping everyone involved. Also, his first LP!

Another underdog that I look forward to seeing more of is Anchorhead by Rock Tumbler. It hasn't received the attention it's due, because the game certainly looks very interesting, and Rock Tumbler is doing a good job of exposing it slowly.

Cotton B. Gross
Jun 21, 2006

by Fragmaster
Do You Like Horny Bunnies? is one of my favorites. There are lots of hilarious surprises even if you've already read the frontpage review of the game, and the fanart is amazing.

Kingdom Come is another thread I love which chronicles the Kingdom of Jerusalem through four, yes, four Paradox games. Fintilgin does a great job of fleshing out the events in the game.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Refusing to Move 'Till the Balloon Pops... Let's Play Secret of Mana! by Vprisoner is a pretty rad thread. It's funny and throws a good spin on that game we all know and love.

Sinix
Jul 10, 2006

World War Robot
I considered making a similar thread awhile back.. just to sort of help guide people to the quality threads.

I'm just going to give some quick reviews of video LPs I've been following.

Let's play HL2 mods by Joats: There's a pretty good archive of funny videos going on in here... some of the mods are amazing in their own right, some are awful, joats does a good job at making all of the videos fun to watch.

Let's play Prey/Quake 4 by Static Fiend: Interesting games that most people probably didn't play through. Static Fiend does a great job of pacing us through them without any real downtime or boredom.

Bully (VLP): This one is mainly worth watching for the game, which I don't think anyone really played. The commentary isn't great, but it's reasonable enough to usher you through the interesting game if you've never played it.

Obliving w/ Maxwell and crew: Maxwell and friends are generally entertaining, could probably use less Skype commentators.. but there's still enough memorable moments to make it worth following.

Let us (not you) play games by the bagel buddies: Mediocre games with funny comedy. This is a purely comedic option, not much for gaming.

I'll do another update if more come to mind.

Norris Duncan
Aug 27, 2007
I'm going to take the time to compliment Adinsxyz's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread. He hasn't been updating quite so often, and I'm afraid he's starting to lose his steam, but he has a hilarious, goofy commentating style that keeps even the boring parts of the game afloat. It has its technical problems, but the fun and sheerly lovable qualities make it one of my favorite Lets Play threads. Even though it's not gold (which it should be).

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Norris Duncan posted:

I'm going to take the time to compliment Adinsxyz's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread. He hasn't been updating quite so often, and I'm afraid he's starting to lose his steam, but he has a hilarious, goofy commentating style that keeps even the boring parts of the game afloat. It has its technical problems, but the fun and sheerly lovable qualities make it one of my favorite Lets Play threads. Even though it's not gold (which it should be).

This is exactly the kind of post I'm looking for. Hell, I think I'll check the thread out.

Thanks for the submissions, guys. I've already seen a couple LPs that I had originally skimmed over that are pretty good. I hope this takes off.

I also liked Sinix's reviews. I don't mind seeing stuff like that in here either, as long as it's not all negative.

Edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
I think most people already know about raocow, which is why it hasn't been mentioned. But it never hurts to remind people.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 29, 2007

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
Fifteen posts without mentioning raocow's Super Mario World romhack threads? I'm offended! Oh, perhaps it's because we're all already watching it? :)

Daily updates of over a half an hour by a French-Canadian, playing difficult games and rambling about life, food, and piranha plants? I'm in.

macklikethetruck
Jul 22, 2007

Party
Party
Party
:hfive:
Magnatux's Myst LP was a lot of fun. He plays Myst in a first person narrative, and presents his posts as journal entries. In the original Myst booklet, the game designers recommended keeping a journal while playing the game, so it fits the format perfectly. I normally do not read SSLP's, but this one was an exception. Magnatux's writing is not long winded, and does not waste excess time or load up on too many screen shots. The LP is not really funny, it's more of an experience like playing Myst. My only problems with the thread were he did not update consistently enough, and he did NOT play the best version of Myst. RealMyst could have even been a VLP successfully.
Magnatux is going to LP some of Myst's sequels soon, I recommend everyone check out his Myst thread now, it's finished and it's a lot of fun.

Desiato's Marathon LP is mostly off the radar due to inconsistency, but he has fallen into a good groove finally. The game is fantastic so I recommend the LP despite its earlier lame videos.

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

Yeah, there's been some bad vibrations around here lately, let's spread some love.

I don't have much to contribute since his thread is hardly obscure and someone kinda mentioned it already, but
Oyster's Megaman 2: This is too much Megaman! thread is my favorite thing going at the moment.

These kind of LPs are my favorite because there's so much audience interaction, readers have a hand in every update because of the contests and level conditions. All this activity leads to alot of discussion in the thread and keeps things nice and lively. Oyster doesn't have a second of dead air and is (frighteningly) knowledgeable on the subject he's covering, so even if you're scrambling to turn down the volume when he takes a hit at least it's always interesting. Wow, I sound like a loving tool. FEEL GOOD THREAD OF THE SUMMER

Vermilion's Let's play Sonic Heroes for the Gamecube! thread

This is a fun one just because it's so laid back. Vermilion is doing a multiformat deal with normal voice commentary, subtitle commentary and my favorite, straight runthroughs with the game audio replaced by a different song of his choosing. It's nice to just watch someone breeze through the game accompanied by a (usually) appropriate and entertaining soundtrack.

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN
I can't think of anything to reccommend yet, but I appreciate all the posts in this thread that give me more stuff to watch/read.

Sartak posted:

Fifteen posts without mentioning raocow's Super Mario World romhack threads? I'm offended! Oh, perhaps it's because we're all already watching it? :)

Daily updates of over a half an hour by a French-Canadian, playing difficult games and rambling about life, food, and piranha plants? I'm in.

Also, I second this suggestion. I don't keep up with the thread (he updates really effin fast), but the videos are always good if you need to kill some time. I've recently started putting his Super Challenge World videos on my PSP and watching them while I excercize. They're not always laugh-out-loud funny, but his rambling keeps one occupied.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
^^^I was gonna mention raocow's threads, but I was beaten to it. He's definitely one of the best LPers... Especially when he gets frustrated and calls Yoshi a stupid horse. :D

SpaceDrake's Final Fantasy IV (II US) thread is definitely one of my favorite LPs of all time. Rather than trying to be funny, SpaceDrake tells the story as if the main character is telling someone about his adventures. It's pretty entertaining since he goes into details when traveling from town to town (meeting fellow travelers, walking past farms, etc), and adding details to certain scenes in the game without adding/taking out the feeling of said scenes.

SpaceDrake does go into detail about certain gameplay elements for those who haven't played FFIV before, which are the comedic areas since it's not storyline related. There hasn't been any new updates in the past few days (likely due to the holidays), but I'm convinced that this will be an LP for the ages when (or if) Drake finishes.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 29, 2007

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Feinne had some wonderful strategy/RPG/number porn going on in his Disgaea thread and is continuing on with a playthrough of La Pucelle Tactics, NIS' first strategy/RPG of many. Being the first game NIS made, LPT is a bit unpolished and can be hard to get into, which makes it a good choice for watching instead of playing. Feinne's got a nice split of screenshots and video to present each update with, and he's got an entertaining narrative set up to add to the storyline.

Mystic Mongol took the action-adventure of Way of the Samurai 2 and turned it into something very entertaining by allowing readers to vote on what character model and weapon to bring into town, then overlaying a different story for each playthrough (as the game is meant to be played multiple times) based upon those choices. The first playthrough does a good job of explaining the game mechanics to anyone unfamiliar with WotS2. He's managing to hit different endings with all his stories so far and is currently running Big Jim Slade, a black blacksmith from Boston with a heart of gold, through the town of Amahara.

I'd also like to second Cotton B. Gross' recommendation of Fintilgin's Kingdom Come LP. Watching Jerusalem from 1187 to the current update of 1733 has been a great read, and he's Toxx-claused himself to get each game done. (currently 66ish% done 2 of 4) Fintilgin hasn't gone into powergaming territory while expanding the Kingdom of Jerusalem and the LP is well-served by it. I encourage any fan of "what-if" historical situations to give it a look. On an amusing note, I think that thread has generated a good number of sales for Paradox Interactive.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 29, 2007

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
TheDarkId's Resident Evil Series for comedy, BOrangeFury's Fallout LP for great narrative, and Chewbot's "The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing" for :gonk:. Will come back and write lengthier descriptions once I finish writing up this update for my own LP. :shobon:

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Flare Elevar's Spyro thread is really well done. I very briefly played this game, but even I can tell that he is a master at it. He shows off the level very well, collects EVERYTHING in one shot, and makes funny and witty comments along the way. He uses text, instead of audio commentary, but I don't mind it as I'm not doing anything else when I watch anyway.

RChimpCola and a few friends just started Luigi's Mansion, and they're doing a fantastic job with it. I've always thought that it's an underrated game, and while they do make fun of it, they aren't doing it to be mean. The commentary is hilarious, and it doesn't feel like they're stepping on each other's toes to make jokes.

Lastly, there are two PS1 Final Fantasy threads that I love: Leovinus' FF7 thread and Kung-Fu Jesus' FF9 thread. Both are similar concepts, with screenshots and witty comments, and both execute those concepts to perfection. Both very good reads for people who don't take their Final Fantasy games too seriously.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I've enjoyed looking at Novasol's Shining Force Final Conflict thread as I enjoy the parodies and asides that the characters do. It reminds me of a bunch of friends and I as we experimented through Phantasy Star Universe. I got to be Slade as a Wartecher ( :smith: ) and gimped! :v:

I haven't been able to read much else, besides the things that have already been nominated as I have been at work myself.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, 'he' was right Silver Mike.

I really have to second Refusing to Move Until the Balloon Pops: Let's Play Secret of Mana because I would like to see more of it and if there's more posts vprisoner may be shamed into updating it more regularly.

And for a terror so great not even death can stop it, I must also suggest 'The house seems to have a rat problem...' Let's Play: Scratches! [SS]. It's got a bit of dead space when the author seemingly vanished, but the game is pretty drat creepy.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I think that Dark Id's Resident Evil 4 is perhaps the best bit of comic genius ever. I bought the game for that. And the Gigantes Boss fight had me in tears for the entire post. All of my muscles dedicated to laughing were sore for a good long time.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

My two favorite LPs as of now are Chewbot's The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing for its brilliant story and amazing narrative, and Flare Elevar's Spyro the Dragon thread for his unique style of commentary and amazing skill.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm going to go ahead and give another nod to Fintilgin for his Kingdom Come thread. The updates can be a bit sporadic at times, especially now in the holiday season, but he always comes through and each one leaves me waiting desperately for the next to see what happens next. It's not a comedy laugh-fest or anything, but there's just something so awesome about seeing a small spinoff kingdom that historically floundered and collapsed become a huge world power over many centuries and, hopefully, eventually become the greatest nation there is. To me it's the best LP in the forum.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Let's Play Sunday School Vol. 7: Noah's Ark? Why the hell would I want to read that? Who is docfuture? I see he has an archived Sonic 2 VLP, but I've played that game to death, so again I ask why would I want to read any of those?

Because docfuture will gently caress up your mind.

His Sonic 2 thread is a work of art that bares only a passing resemblance to what you'd expect out of a Sonic 2 VLP. You just have to watch the whole thing to see what I mean. His Noah's Ark thread promises to be just as awesome. No one puts more effort into his videos that docfuture.

taxidermistpasta
Dec 18, 2004

They could be lollipops. They could be paddles. They could be a chinaman.

GuavaMoment posted:

Let's Play Sunday School Vol. 7: Noah's Ark? Why the hell would I want to read that? Who is docfuture? I see he has an archived Sonic 2 VLP, but I've played that game to death, so again I ask why would I want to read any of those?

Because docfuture will gently caress up your mind.

His Sonic 2 thread is a work of art that bares only a passing resemblance to what you'd expect out of a Sonic 2 VLP. You just have to watch the whole thing to see what I mean. His Noah's Ark thread promises to be just as awesome. No one puts more effort into his videos that docfuture.

Nothing has been more entertaining in this subforum than the Sonic 2 32X CD Special Edition thread. The thread added so much to the game and it's the first LP thread I think of whenever some human being 12 year-old IMs me and says "wahchurefavoritelp". The problem is it's difficult to articulate why it's so good without ruining the experience. So I'm not going to but understand that it's an LP unlike any other.

Any full motion video LP makes me far more happy than it should. The LP's for Harvester and Phantasmagoria have made me so happy I don't know who to hug after completing them. Mostly because fullmotionvideo games have amazing orchestration and acting talent crammed into their 27 cds.

Edit:
Drama rant removed.

taxidermistpasta fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 29, 2007

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

You're all so precious :3:
Some threads I've really liked as of late:

13/f/cali's Super Mario World Intrigue. I like this one for several reasons. First, the hack's made by a goon, who also posts various comments and suggestions in the thread. Secondly, it's a really creative hack. Even though it belongs to the "BETTER SAVE/RELOAD A BILLION TIMES" school, it really exploits a lot of strange and interesting gameplay elements of Super Mario World one would take for granted. But perhaps most importantly, Cali's commentary is a lot of fun. He's amazingly laid-back and calm despite the absolute hell this hack puts him through, and manages to pull some really, really funny dialogue out of his pain and suffering. This one's completed, so if you've got a lazy afternoon to kill, you can watch through it all. Better hurry, though, it'll slip into the archives soon...

Frankomatic's short game theatre. A bunch of weird little games, all fairly short, that can be watched and enjoyed without following a massive thread. Another nice way to spend some spare time.

Novasol's Wall Street Kid - a really, really strange NES game. Novasol's doing a very nice job with the main posts, and there's some audience participation going on as well. Definitely worth checking out.

Syvalion fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 30, 2007

Kit Nubbles
Nov 17, 2005

Keeper of the Beard
Chrono Trigger - Take the right teleporter your first time, it's fun! This is an extremely old thread, but that's sometimes better since you don't have to wait for updates.

The commentary and the contribution from readers is great and the comedy of it is hilarious.

MikeDM92
May 24, 2005

Syvalion posted:

Some threads I've really liked as of late:

13/f/cali's Super Mario World Intrigue. I like this one for several reasons. First, the hack's made by a goon, who also posts various comments and suggestions in the thread. Secondly, it's a really creative hack. Even though it belongs to the "BETTER SAVE/RELOAD A BILLION TIMES" school, it really exploits a lot of strange and interesting gameplay elements of Super Mario World one would take for granted. But perhaps most importantly, Cali's commentary is a lot of fun. He's amazingly laid-back and calm despite the absolute hell this hack puts him through, and manages to pull some really, really funny dialogue out of his pain and suffering. This one's completed, so if you've got a lazy afternoon to kill, you can watch through it all. Better hurry, though, it'll slip into the archives soon...

Frankomatic's short game theatre. A bunch of weird little games, all fairly short, that can be watched and enjoyed without following a massive thread. Another nice way to spend some spare time.

Novasol's Wall Street Kid - a really, really strange NES game. Novasol's doing a very nice job with the main posts, and there's some audience participation going on as well. Definitely worth checking out.

Your Frankomatic link actually links to Novasol's thread.

Vorless
Oct 30, 2007
Two of my favorite LPs of all time (both are on https://letsplayarchive.com):

Monster Rancher by Mr. Swoon:
An amazing SSLP. Mr. Swoon does an excellent job here writing extensive, hilarious dialog, and creating a story from basically nothing with his protagonist Norman Swoon, an alcoholic, drug-using breeder and his assistant Holly. if you want to see someone actually play the game, look elsewhere, but otherwise this is pure LP comedy at its finest.

Princess Maker 2 by SynthOrange:
In the same vein as Monster Rancher, SynthOrange does an amazing job bringing the characters to life using his own dialog instead of just explaining pictures, it's also a lot of fun to watch Lizzie grow, as directed by goons, of course, from a weak little girl into an all-powerful killer.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

taxidermistpasta posted:

Any full motion video LP makes me far more happy than it should. The LP's for Harvester and Phantasmagoria have made me so happy I don't know who to hug after completing them. Mostly because fullmotionvideo games have amazing orchestration and acting talent crammed into their 27 cds.

I agree completely with these. Those lovely old FMV suspense/horror games are great LP material, and they always seem to be done well.

I'm still waiting on someone to do Night Trap, though. I suggested that slowbeef do that back when he was finishing up with Snatcher.

Also, guys, if someone already mentioned the thread you wanted to mention, go right ahead and mention it again. I don't know about everyone else, but if three or four people recommend the same LP, I'll be sure to check it out.

I checked out Ouendan 2 on slowbeef's recommendation last night, and now I'm working on STALKER.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 30, 2007

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN

The Goog posted:

Flare Elevar's Spyro thread is really well done. I very briefly played this game, but even I can tell that he is a master at it. He shows off the level very well, collects EVERYTHING in one shot, and makes funny and witty comments along the way. He uses text, instead of audio commentary, but I don't mind it as I'm not doing anything else when I watch anyway.

Started watching after reading this recommendation. Looks pretty good so far. (Edit: Oh heck yeah, he speeds up boring parts of videos. That's appreciated.)

Also, Jerusalem's Medieval 2: Total War is required reading if you enjoy reading. He makes you really identify with nearly all the characters in his game.

Keyboard Fox fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 30, 2007

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
Devil May Cry by AccountingNightmare is pretty much the definitive LP when it comes to doing something right, because she knows exactly what she's doing. She knows where every hidden collectable is and she knows every enemy's attacks, weak points and movements inside out. Add that to the fact that she's playing on the highest possible difficulty and making an embarrassingly difficult game look like a cakewalk and you'll be stretched to find much wrong with it.

Plus, we're not exactly overflowing with female Australian Goons so it's a unique dialect too, if that's your sort of thing.

Fantastic LP from start to finish, a good length which always had punctual updates and well deserving of archive status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
Seconding Devil May Cry, Spyro, Scratches, and Wallstreet kid. I'm also really liking Orange King's President Forever '08 (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2711262). I'm not a big politics nerd and a lot of the terminology doesn't make sense to me since I'm also not much of an American, but it's fun to read! Blade Runner (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2667681) deserves another mention - a really cool game based on a really cool movie, which was based on a really cook book. Sort of.

• Locked thread