Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

You're all so precious :3:
Can we pimp threads that seem to have died off that we really want to see continue? Because I was totally loving the Fire Emblem LP and hope whatever issues the OP has will be resolved soon so she can pick it up again :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

Some threads I've really liked as of late:

13/f/cali's Super Mario World Intrigue. I like this one for several reasons. First, the hack's made by a goon, who also posts various comments and suggestions in the thread. Secondly, it's a really creative hack. Even though it belongs to the "BETTER SAVE/RELOAD A BILLION TIMES" school, it really exploits a lot of strange and interesting gameplay elements of Super Mario World one would take for granted. But perhaps most importantly, Cali's commentary is a lot of fun. He's amazingly laid-back and calm despite the absolute hell this hack puts him through, and manages to pull some really, really funny dialogue out of his pain and suffering. This one's completed, so if you've got a lazy afternoon to kill, you can watch through it all. Better hurry, though, it'll slip into the archives soon...

Frankomatic's short game theatre. A bunch of weird little games, all fairly short, that can be watched and enjoyed without following a massive thread. Another nice way to spend some spare time.

Novasol's Wall Street Kid - a really, really strange NES game. Novasol's doing a very nice job with the main posts, and there's some audience participation going on as well. Definitely worth checking out.

Syvalion fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 30, 2007

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

A recently created thread of interest: Tell me how to LP my winter vacation by Sutureself

Without spoiling it, I'll say that it's a unique idea that is being done very, very well so far.

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

Ecco the Dolphin by Mecheon

I've been waiting for someone to do this game for a while (in a way that wasn't meant to be bizarre meta-humor), and thankfully, Mecheon's doing it justice. He's playing the Mega CD version, which has extra levels and new music, so even those who played the Genesis/MD version to death will be seeing and hearing some new stuff. He's also doing a fine job of showing just how difficult and messed-up the game gets at points. And he's got a cute Aussie accent. :3: Solid LP all-around!

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

Frankomatic started up another Short Games Thread. I love the concept and Frank is entertaining as usual. Also noteworthy is that Dizzybone is positing his Metal Slug X videos in there, which are absolute must-sees IMO: Funny commentary, good editing, showing off a lot of easter eggs people don't know about, and attempting the very, very difficult task of completing the game with no deaths. Go watch!

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

Been a while, and I'd hate for this thread to fall off the face of the earth.

The Demon Rush: This started off badly due to people assuming the game would be badly LPed primarily due to its recent Games infamy, but it's really come into its own now. Mainly because the game has taken a sharp left turn into Holy poo poo What The gently caress Is Going On Here territory and YF19pilot has no idea what's supposed to be going on. Also, Rixen's amazing analyses of the game are a welcome help for figuring out the pure :psyduck: of the "plot".

Painkiller: Overdose: Bad FPS games seem to make for great LPs. This wholly unnecessary Painkiller spinoff has plenty of bad/recycled design, stupid bullshit, and ongoing commentary from Mechanical Hand, Blister, and Psychedelic Eyeball. This seems to be on a semi-hiatus right now, unless Mechanical Hand are company are just loving with us. Which is pretty likely.

Banjo-Kazooie: Most LPs I like involve people either going slowly insane playing a terrible game, or having a ton of fun playing a game they really like. I'm not a big fan of Rare's platformers, but watching this is almost enough to change my mind! It's clear Rooleelooo loves this series and knows everything about it inside and out. Lots of fun to watch whether you're familiar with the titles or not.

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I enjoy the VLPs when multiple people would be playing at once, any more of those anywhere? I usually enjoyed the ones where goons would play TF2 and grief/play a server, or play some sort of FPS game together. Those videos bring the most entertainment to me. I prefer FPS games, but other games (like worms) is fine as well.

Have you watched the Megaman races at all? Oyster arranged then from the second game on (and they're still ongoing in the Megaman 4 thread right now).

Just don't watch anything I was involved in because I did terribly and wish to hide my shame.

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

Ripper is pretty rad if you're looking for FMV stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

The Japanese have taken the Video LP concept and run with it, calling it "Jikkyou" play (meaning something like "real-condition play"). Japan's Nico Nico Douga is full of Jikkyou stuff. A heavy chunk of it is every bit as bad as Youtube stuff, made worse due to the language barrier (though there are far fewer camcorder Jikkyou plays, thank god).

There are several Jikkyo plays that are really, really good, though. My favorite so far is from a player named Shinsuke who did the whole of Rockman/Megaman X2 with an Oyster-esque condition (which I won't spoil) that changes the game dynamic far more than you might initially expect. There's some great skill on display, creative editing for entertainment purposes, and tons and tons of hilarious failures for those who love seeing player anguish.

Here's a link to the playlist of Shinsuke's X2 videos for those who have a Nico account. If you don't, here's a bunch of links through a proxy:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Finale

The Japanese commentary (and Nico's famous "rolling comment" overlays) with no translation might turn some off, but as Static Fiend (who watched this with me and doesn't speak a lick of Japanese) pointed out, screams of agony and relief are universally funny. The fights against the X Hunters are classic.

Syvalion fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 17, 2009

• Locked thread