Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wiki -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heima

Trailer -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZYIfUdIyfs

For those of you that want a taste of Sigur Ros. Here they are in an official Planet Earth trailer (It goes oh so well, but they keep getting deleted, so seach if you need to) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aikbh8X4u64

And for those of you that don't know Sigur Ros. They are an Icelandic band that has a style that can be described as post-rock with melodic and classical elements. similar to that of Radiohead. Their popularity is similar to that of Radiohead as well. Some of the lyrics are sung in "Hopelandic". It's constructed of nonsense syllables which resemble the phonology of the Icelandic language. Some may be translated and some may be gibberish. But according to the band, the listener is supposed to interpret their own meaning of the songs and lyrics.

Heima is a film recently released by Sigur Ros following them for 10 months or so as they toured Iceland and played free, unannounced shows in small villages. It's hard to explain this video. It's difficult to imagine a movie so well done by a band. Most of these videos consists of crappy live sets at Vans Warped tour.

I was lucky enough to see a free, secret screening of it in LA. I was curious as to how a band would approach this. I was amazed to say the least. Almost a life changing film. Full of stunning visuals, choreography, music, and short interviews with the band members. It's hard to explain how they did it and put it together but they did. And really god drat well at that.

And if you're one of those Indie-Hating SA 12 year olds and stay away from anything relating to the sort. Get over it. Sigur Ros is amazing. There's a reason they have been on Vanilla Sky (Their big day view), late night shows, Planet Earth's trailer, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (This should get some of you goons), and CSI.

The movie gets a well deserved 5/5. Through and through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
I saw this and liked it, it's way better than any other concert dvd I've seen. I enjoyed seeing the band go into abandoned factories and houses around iceland, I liked seeing the audiences (and the sweaters they all wore) and learning about the festivals and traditions at the locations.

Even in the summer, Iceland looks really freakin' cold.

5/5

Kire fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 10, 2008

Egg
Jan 23, 2004
top dork
I almost went to see this in DC a few months back but none of my soulless friends would go with me. I just got the DVD and it is amazing. I think anyone with a taste in music that goes beyond listening to what's on the radio should enjoy the film. The music and cinematography are beautiful. I'd give it a 5/5.

Kire: it's not really a documentary on Iceland or anything. It's got a lot more about the landscape than the cities or people, though there are parts that focus on little towns.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

no discussion

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 6, 2008

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Everything in this movie is beautiful. The music, the places they visited and the Islandic girls in the audience shots. I was completely unfamiliar with Sigur Ros before I saw the movie and it mate me a total fan.
5/5

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
This might be one of the most beautiful high definition films I've seen. The music blends perfectly with the landscape photography, and the concert footage is so simple and effective. This is an authentically made Icelandic film, made for the people, by Sigur Ros, but its message is quietly powerful. Inspiring.

Not much talking head, more emphasis on music and the Icelandic culture. As it should be! A very satisfying 5/5.

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.
Really makes me want to go to iceland. Beautiful stuff.
4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
loving weird rear end icelandic people and their strafaflarfusen hoppipolla saeglopur. And whats the deal with his eye, between him and stu scott they could have one perfect set of eyes.

5/5