Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I need recommendations for where to buy good quality, comfortable furniture. I'm doing a theater room and I want a big leather couch I can lay on and watch movies or just fall asleep on that's well put together and won't fall apart in a couple years. Sorry if this isn't the best thread - I couldn't find one for furniture, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I received a headboard as a birthday gift but I don't have a frame for it. What's a good choice for a queen bed frame that can accept a headboard and is appropriately sturdy?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

What do I do about some honeybees going into a window in my house? I have a fairly large crank out window. The bees are entering the area where the crank mechanism is. They appear to be honeybees. No clue how many they are, but every few days I’ll wake up to a bee stuck between the window and the screen. If I watch the window long enough, I’ll see a bee enter or exit it every few minutes. I don’t really want to just spray killed down the hole if I don’t have to. I love bees but don’t want them loving up my walls.

I don’t know why the pics got rotated. The hole they are going into is horizontal.

https://ibb.co/vdR5nk0
https://ibb.co/wgH3Tyk

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 20, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Are permits in your town public record? Pull your neighbors and see. Surely they didn't do an unpermitted roof replacement! Some cities even have trivial auto-approve "tear off and replace roof" online permit applications that makes it super easy to do and guarantees at least the start of work permit is visible in the portal. (This isn't some like open and shut thing, it just gives you the ability to start work quickly. There are various inspections that must take place to keep using that system, and if you're caught cheating it they blacklist your license from the portal. I haven't used it, but I was trying to figure out a permit in this town and was impressed by the system. My city you have to show up in person.)

Do people actually do permits for stuff smaller than building a house? I've lived in a house that had never had a single permit since construction that had an addition built, essentially collapse, and be rebuilt, major electrical rewiring, central heat and AC added, chimney turned into a duct, all sorts of poo poo. House down the block my buddy used to live in, same story, same no permits.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

shovelbum posted:

Do people actually do permits for stuff smaller than building a house? I've lived in a house that had never had a single permit since construction that had an addition built, essentially collapse, and be rebuilt, major electrical rewiring, central heat and AC added, chimney turned into a duct, all sorts of poo poo. House down the block my buddy used to live in, same story, same no permits.

Yes. You're probably supposed to, but the rules are up to your local authorities. For us r&r of like doesn't strictly require it, and various other minor things, but plumbing, electrical, mechanical (hvac), structural, and other nuances like adding or removing a door.

I've pulled maybe 10? Repipe, rewire, redo garage, redo patio (r&r technically but getting one makes the city happy - got to skip design review for it.), redo office behind garage, soon redo bathroom 1, redo bathroom 2.

It's often cheap insurance. Most jurisdictions it's not something to fear. Even if it is its often due to years of people intentionally hiding things they were supposed to permit.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tiny Lowtax posted:

What do I do about some honeybees going into a window in my house? I have a fairly large crank out window. The bees are entering the area where the crank mechanism is. They appear to be honeybees. No clue how many they are, but every few days I’ll wake up to a bee stuck between the window and the screen. If I watch the window long enough, I’ll see a bee enter or exit it every few minutes. I don’t really want to just spray killed down the hole if I don’t have to. I love bees but don’t want them loving up my walls.

I don’t know why the pics got rotated. The hole they are going into is horizontal.

https://ibb.co/vdR5nk0
https://ibb.co/wgH3Tyk

Nesting insects, like honeybees or wasps, like to enter & then immediately go up. That opening only goes sideways...although it's possible that there's gaps to the left or right and they they're nesting in those vertical gaps in the wall on either side (or both) of the window.

Can you describe the flyers? Are they fuzzy?

Because if they're wasps: gently caress 'em. Your biggest problem is getting rid of them, because you will get a faceful of very angry critters after that gap is sprayed.

If they are honeybees or carpenter bees: for the former, you can wait 'em out until it gets cold, then find a way to seal the opening, or minimise the availability of it.

If the latter: they are singletons - they don't hive - and they are chewing holes precisely 5/8" in diameter, and up to a foot long, in your lumber. You can hear them chewing away if it's quiet enough, and you may find little drifts of fine sawdust here & there.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Nesting insects, like honeybees or wasps, like to enter & then immediately go up. That opening only goes sideways...although it's possible that there's gaps to the left or right and they they're nesting in those vertical gaps in the wall on either side (or both) of the window.

Can you describe the flyers? Are they fuzzy?

Because if they're wasps: gently caress 'em. Your biggest problem is getting rid of them, because you will get a faceful of very angry critters after that gap is sprayed.

If they are honeybees or carpenter bees: for the former, you can wait 'em out until it gets cold, then find a way to seal the opening, or minimise the availability of it.

If the latter: they are singletons - they don't hive - and they are chewing holes precisely 5/8" in diameter, and up to a foot long, in your lumber. You can hear them chewing away if it's quiet enough, and you may find little drifts of fine sawdust here & there.

Definitely honeybees. This is our second spring in this house, and the second round of honeybees. Once it starts warming up outside a few strays start to appear between the window and the screen (the screen is on the inside of the house). I had always assumed they were going into this hole, but today is the first time I actually witnessed it happen, and multiple times. i have done some investigating, and the thing is, when the window is closed, I don’t see any gaps outside between the window and the frame that they could possibly be getting in through.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 20, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Then consider getting a stethescope (a water glass or a screwdriver with the handle end pressed up against your ear) and go all around the window, working your way up the wall from the height of the sill. You should hear them if there's no (or low) ambient sound. That way, you can figure out where they is.

If there's a receptacle under / adjacent to the window, you might start getting honey dripping out of it. Someone posted a photo of just such in either the crappy construction or OSHA thread.

Someone more versed, or an apiarist, can tell you if a queen stays in there & overwinters. If so, unless something happens naturally, you may have to have the wall cut open to remove the colony before it gets much larger. Hell, if it predates your ownership, it might be huge already,

Where are you located?

edit: I doubt strongly that they're using the crank opening to get in. Get a couple beers & a chair & park yourself out there. You'll see them coming and going. My bet is that there coming in through the gap under the green window wrap at the brick, although you may have a gap in the brickwork somewhere that they're exploiting.

Every population has its idiots, and bees are no exception. You're catching the bottom of the food chain that somehow got lost and wander out through the lever gap & are trapped in between the screen & the window.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 20, 2020

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Then consider getting a stethescope (a water glass or a screwdriver with the handle end pressed up against your ear) and go all around the window, working your way up the wall from the height of the sill. You should hear them if there's no (or low) ambient sound. That way, you can figure out where they is.

If there's a receptacle under / adjacent to the window, you might start getting honey dripping out of it. Someone posted a photo of just such in either the crappy construction or OSHA thread.

Someone more versed, or an apiarist, can tell you if a queen stays in there & overwinters. If so, unless something happens naturally, you may have to have the wall cut open to remove the colony before it gets much larger. Hell, if it predates your ownership, it might be huge already,

Where are you located?

Southeast Michigan. Exterior of the house is brick. The inside below that window is my kitchen sink. So the wall directly below the window is a foot of tile backsplash, then the sink. I’ve checked around the plumbing below the sink and don’t see any honey. The cabinet with the plumbing is the full width of the window. I suppose that doesn’t matter if they are actually to either side of the window.

I don’t know how big or active the colony could be. Last spring I only saw 3 bees between the window and screen, then don’t recall seeing any other all summer. This spring I’ve only seen 2 between them, and then the one (or two?) actually flying into and out of the hole today. Hell, that could have been the same bee.

I know honeybees aren’t know for their aggression, but they can sting. I just remembered I purchased an endoscope a while back. If I were to stick that in the hole and there actually is a hive in there, what are the chances of them attacking?

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 20, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Does that window stay open all spring/summer? I doubt that they could get much of a colony going with limited access...maybe it's tiny, yet.

Are there wall cabinets flanking the window? If you're that lucky, then demounting them, opening the drywall, throwing a fire-taped patch over it, and re-mounting is a lot less involved than a typical room. Unless you wind up in the backsplash.

(edit)

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I don’t know how big or active the colony could be. Last spring I only saw 3 bees between the window and screen, then don’t recall seeing any other all summer. This spring I’ve only seen 2 between them, and then the one (or two?) actually flying into and out of the hole today.

I'd check that exterior trim anyway...they can have several accessways.

Is there any electrical on that outside wall where a colony could be?

Also: in the event that you wish to research further in that direction: The Michigan Beekeepeer's Association: https://www.michiganbees.org/problem-and-unwanted-bees/

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 20, 2020

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Does that window stay open all spring/summer? I doubt that they could get much of a colony going with limited access...maybe it's tiny, yet.

Are there wall cabinets flanking the window? If you're that lucky, then demounting them, opening the drywall, throwing a fire-taped patch over it, and re-mounting is a lot less involved than a typical room. Unless you wind up in the backsplash.

(edit)

I'd check that exterior trim anyway...they can have several accessways.

Is there any electrical on that outside wall where a colony could be?

There’s about six inches of space between the window and the cabinet on each side. No electrical on that outside wall.

The window isn’t open too often. It’s annoying to open and doesn’t allow much air movement, so we don’t use it a lot. Especially not for any prolonged time.

Edit: just used my endoscope on the hole. Couldn’t get it very far in, and saw nothing

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 20, 2020

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

KillHour posted:

I need recommendations for where to buy good quality, comfortable furniture. I'm doing a theater room and I want a big leather couch I can lay on and watch movies or just fall asleep on that's well put together and won't fall apart in a couple years. Sorry if this isn't the best thread - I couldn't find one for furniture, really.

Interior design thread was discussing this recently. I'd check there.

Most recent Couchchat started here, might have some good suggestions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=409

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

The queen stays, yeah.

The way it works is that the queen every spring lays & hatches a bunch of eggs in the hive to produce drones. The drones go out and collect nectar, turn it into honey and store it in the hive for winter, then they die off and the remaining colony beds down for winter using the honey as a food source.

Eventually the queen will die of natural causes, and gets replaced pretty quickly. The only way the colony dies naturally is if they run out of food. The only way they leave is if the colony gets too large and splits, and even then only half will leave.

If there's a colony in there they're not leaving without an eviction notice. They're not going to attack violently, though, from an endoscope or whatever. If you're worried you could buy/make a smoker. The smoke masks their pheromones and calms them down.

There's actually a beekeeping thread in DIY which you could go ask in also.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I have a small set of stairs and a landing leading up to my back door. The landing is about 3x3, and the wood is in pretty good shape, but I kind of want to sand, stain, and refinish it. However, there's about a 1/4" gap between the boards. It's consistent, so I'm assuming it's on purpose, but what is the benefit of having that gap? Or is it possible that this was a PO special and they just didn't have enough material to put the boards closer together?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Gaps between boards used in exterior construction are there because wood changes shape as it gains/loses moisture. This can cause the wood to buckle and warp if it's jammed in tight, so expansion space is left between the boards. If you want to fill in a space you have to use some kind of overlapping construction like tongue-and-groove which still allows expansion space.

Changing shape with moisture levels is an issue for all wood regardless of where it is, but it's assumed that the environment for interior pieces doesn't fluctuate as much. And no, sealing the wood with a finish doesn't stop this process

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Thanks for the help re: bees

A few things I want to add.

1. In the daylight I’ve looked and I see an area where they could be entering from the outside and getting between the window and the screen. Think it’s possible these are just drones out searching, and just happen to find this hole and then can’t get out? I see no way for them to enter the crank hole when the window is closed.

2. My wife point out that all the bees we find stuck seem to be acting weird. They’re falling over backwards, and flying weird. The one in there right now is all lethargic looking and barely moving at all.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

mutata posted:

Crosspostin' from the Home Spergin thread, so hopefully that's kosher. But in case there's other thoughts here:

My wife and I are looking at vinyl plank flooring to do roughly half our square footage in our house. Includes kitchen, 3 bathrooms, a laundry room, etc. Basically most high-traffic areas of the house and all of the wettest areas. We looked at stuff like wood-look tile and such, but all the materials (underlayment, cement, grout, etc) probably puts most quality options out of our price range for the amount of square footage we're looking at.

Anyway, I wanted to ask; does anyone have a recommendation either for or against certain brands or types of vinyl plank flooring? Any general "wish I knew this before I bought" advice?

I prefer click-lock to the adhesive type, the click-lock feels more solid/substantial, though the adhesive ones I've used were on the very low end price-wise. Perhaps better quality adhesive types would be fine, and they're easier/faster to cut than click-lock.

For click-lock, COREtec seems popular out my way, but it's pricey, close to hardwood, though the installation cost is less than hardwood. Check out LifeProof, it seems to hold up well in my experience, and it looks and feels pretty good.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifePro..._-300461649-_-N

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
So I had a freestanding mailbox with a custom wooden... shroud? around it that was installed by the previous owner. I say "had" because somebody drove a car into my car which was parked on the street and this drove my car into this mailbox. Their insurance company offered to pay for it but they need a quote. Other than just showing up with a Home Depot receipt, what kind of person would I even talk to about preparing a written estimate for a kitschy decorative wooden mailbox thing. Does somebody sell kits I can just point to ads for?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stack Machine posted:

So I had a freestanding mailbox with a custom wooden... shroud? around it that was installed by the previous owner. I say "had" because somebody drove a car into my car which was parked on the street and this drove my car into this mailbox. Their insurance company offered to pay for it but they need a quote. Other than just showing up with a Home Depot receipt, what kind of person would I even talk to about preparing a written estimate for a kitschy decorative wooden mailbox thing. Does somebody sell kits I can just point to ads for?

Well I googled "custom wooden mailbox shroud" and I can see $40.95-249.99 wooden mailbox things for sale on Etsy and Wayfair so I guess do something like that.

edit: plus whatever for the 4x4 pt lumber or whatever for your column and a bag of quikrete for the hole. oh and the labor to get it installed by a handyman.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I guess it's the handyman I'm most clueless about finding. I've never been asked to get a written estimate for something so relatively trivial and so I have no idea what kind of outfit to look for and where they'd advertise.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stack Machine posted:

I guess it's the handyman I'm most clueless about finding. I've never been asked to get a written estimate for something so relatively trivial and so I have no idea what kind of outfit to look for and where they'd advertise.

Craigslist or maybe FB Marketplace or maybe Nextdoor could probably get you a handful of quotes from handymen via email. I wouldn't worry too much about the details of it just have them quote you for putting the $250 wayfair mailbox on top of a 4x4 pressure treated post that they dig a hole for and throw some concrete in. They'll probably write up something like $100 to do it, I dunno, doesn't really matter nor does it matter if they are good at it because (I am assuming here) you're just going to do it yourself anyway. You just need the most basic of paper quote documentation to satisfy the insurance company person that's processing the claim. Cash your check and throw up a mailbox of your choosing in an hour on the weekend.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Just give 'em a quote of $200 for handyman time and do it yourself. Setting a post in concrete is easy: put post in hole, pour concrete around it, add some water, make sure the post is vertical, don't touch it 'til the concrete sets. The only hard part would be if you can't easily remove the old post and its concrete.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Oh there's no doubt I'm doing it myself. I just wasn't up on ways to summon low-effort estimates for handyman services for insurance purposes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Stack Machine posted:

For $1,000 I'll write you a quote with a $2,000 estimate.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Do we have a thread about ponds or other water gardening?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Question for people who know more about roofing: why are these roofers starting at the top of the house instead of removing all the shingles and starting at the bottom?

Not my house, I just spotted it and was curious.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's always easier to work with gravity.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can I swap my round toilet for an elongated one? (ie do they have the same bolt holes / drain hole?)

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Can hardware stores mix custom paint colors for you? I am looking for a certain color that I can’t find at any of the paint brands I have checked

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Charles posted:

Can I swap my round toilet for an elongated one? (ie do they have the same bolt holes / drain hole?)

The hole & bolthole locations are standard (in the US).

Your chief concerns will be:
1) distance from the back of the pedestal and tank to the wall;
2) sufficient clearance out front

Deadite posted:

Can hardware stores mix custom paint colors for you? I am looking for a certain color that I can’t find at any of the paint brands I have checked

Yes; they can typically computer-match a color.

Amongst all of the paint sample swatches out there, you can't find one that suits?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
They can probably convert from a pantone or ral type universal color code, I'm sure you can find your color in pantone's list

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Deadite posted:

My local paint places (and the paint desk in the hardware store) tend to have a few popular colours premixed, and everything else is done with racks of swatches that they then mix up for you. They can also mix to an arbitrary item you have on hand like PainterofCrap says, and can input things like RAL codes like taqueso says.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Deadite posted:

Guy who has tinted, mixed, and matched thousands and thousands of gallons of paint at both a hardware store and dedicated paint retailer here. If you can be more specific on what you're trying to match I can probably give you some expectations and advice. There's a big difference in trying to match a color chip or plug of drywall vs say trying to match a color on a fabric or that you saw in a picture or that are just visualizing in your head and are trying to explain to some poor paint guy (yes, this happens).

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I’m looking for a bright neon green, I found a Pantone code for what I want

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deadite posted:

Go to a paint store and tell them this, bring the pantone name and code, ask where in their color chips something like that is and verify it. Your computer display is (unlikely) calibrated enough to display the color exactly as you want it if that matters to you.

They probably even have a Pantone chip set there.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Deadite posted:

What are you planning to paint that color? You're likely not going to find a local paint or hardware store that can achieve something that bright or vibrant due to limitations of tint bases and available colorants. That would be why you're not finding anything on paint charts that suits what you're looking for. Pantone creates color standards for use across different mediums like digital, print, vinyl, etc and a ton of the bright ones just can't be achieved in paint by tinting without really specialized colorants that just aren't used for regular architectural paint. Your best bet, short of toning down the color you're trying to get, is to find something factory tinted in a specialty product which is probably going to limit you to stuff like craft paints at hobby/craft stores or specialty paint brands Ronan. Those types of paints may or may not be suitable for what you're trying to paint though.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

They probably even have a Pantone chip set there.

You would think so, but really it doesn't come up that often unless a store is dealing with sign manufacturers or other customers who frequently need to cross colors over different mediums. Plus Pantone wants like $200+ for a color chart last I checked and they update them regularly so it's not worth having around for most paint or hardware stores.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Final Blog Entry posted:

What are you planning to paint that color? You're likely not going to find a local paint or hardware store that can achieve something that bright or vibrant due to limitations of tint bases and available colorants. That would be why you're not finding anything on paint charts that suits what you're looking for. Pantone creates color standards for use across different mediums like digital, print, vinyl, etc and a ton of the bright ones just can't be achieved in paint by tinting without really specialized colorants that just aren't used for regular architectural paint. Your best bet, short of toning down the color you're trying to get, is to find something factory tinted in a specialty product which is probably going to limit you to stuff like craft paints at hobby/craft stores or specialty paint brands Ronan. Those types of paints may or may not be suitable for what you're trying to paint though.

I was going to paint a room that color so this is disappointing, but it does explain why none of the big paint brands have bright colors available

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Man, you do you, but God that would be eye-searing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Deadite posted:

I was going to paint a room that color

Wait what