Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If you're worried I'd suggest getting it tested. And/or, since it's already outside of the house, having it all removed by an approved company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Unless you need to dig the gently caress out of your lawn for some landscaping project, even if it is asbestos, I wouldn't worry about it.

Asbestos is perfectly safe, providing the fibres do not get disturbed and become airborne, allowing you to breathe them in. If just covering it over is an option, cover it over and don't worry about it. Its not going to get in the groundwater (assuming you're on a well) and give you cancer or anything else.

If there are heavy metals (say old lead paint chips or whatever) then metals leaching is a much bigger issue than what might or might not be asbestos.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

If there are heavy metals (say old lead paint chips or whatever) then metals leaching is a much bigger issue than what might or might not be asbestos.

Agreed. I wouldn't worry about some random chunks of asbestos sitting around unless you see evidence that they like, sanded it down and mixed it in your soil. (Which, who knows!) Heavy metal is a much larger concern.

Edit: And I'm the thread min/max'er when it comes to breathing hazards.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Well, we are taking out some of the grass along the perimeter, which means a fair amount of digging and tilling. Going to plant flowers and whatnot.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

LargeHadron posted:

I don't know how old the previous *house* was, but the foundation is as old as 1894. The renovation was done just last year. Here are some photos...the horsehair plaster idea doesn't sound quite right to me, because the hairs are very, very fine and shiny like a spiderweb. Feeling nervous again because there really is quite a bit of this stuff in at least one section of the ground.

That does look like asbestos, to me. As already said it's not necessarily a real problem, though if you need to dig to do your landscaping or if it's close enough to the surface that kids might be able to get into it or something, you should deal with it.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Looking to get some advice/guidance on my guest bathroom remodel. I tore everything out yesterday had a few questions.

1. The wife wants a small tile like this - it’s my first tiling job so I’m just not sure if this is more difficult than larger tile.

2. The previous tile was straight on the subfloor and there’s a low spot where they filled in with some sort of leveler, it was about half an inch at the deepest part. Are there any better options doing it this time? Obviously we are going to be using an underlayment, but under that?

3. How hosed am I on having to replace the drywall? They put the tile straight on it and it didn’t come off cleanly in some spots.

4. The plumbing is odd and is going to affect what kind of vanity we put in. Doesn’t look like we can do one of those ones on legs without seeing pipes.

5. Any recommendations on toilets or brands to avoid?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I have a ~6 month old dishwasher that's been steadily smelling worse and worse. I popped out the filter at the bottom of it and there's standing water down there which seems to be where the smell is coming from.

Is there supposed to be water there? near as I can tell it's installed correctly with the drain line running up to an air gap, then onward to the disposal.

I did run it once without water pressure going to it (forgot to open the valve on the inlet side after installation), could that have messed up the drain pump somehow?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I have a ~6 month old dishwasher that's been steadily smelling worse and worse. I popped out the filter at the bottom of it and there's standing water down there which seems to be where the smell is coming from.

Is there supposed to be water there? near as I can tell it's installed correctly with the drain line running up to an air gap, then onward to the disposal.

I did run it once without water pressure going to it (forgot to open the valve on the inlet side after installation), could that have messed up the drain pump somehow?

There’s always a little water under my filter. Have you tried running a load with Dishwasher Magic? We run a bottle once a month and it really helps with buildup and smells.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dishwasher-Magic-Dishwasher-Cleaner-and-Disinfectant-12-fl-oz/19204436

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

There’s always a little water under my filter. Have you tried running a load with Dishwasher Magic? We run a bottle once a month and it really helps with buildup and smells.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dishwasher-Magic-Dishwasher-Cleaner-and-Disinfectant-12-fl-oz/19204436

I'll give that a shot. I've been hunting for reasons why it might not be draining and everything is describing problems with draining at all so I think you're right that it might just be dirty.

I'm still a little confused still because I've had dishwashers go years without smelling half this bad but I'll start by giving it a nice cleaning.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a Honda GX35 trimmer with a--surprise, surprise--Honda GX35 4-cycle engine. I haven't used it in months and tried to take it out the other day. All the oil had gotten into everything. I had to open the casing and run it with the air filter out on idle so all the oil could get burped out from everywhere--after adding back up the appropriate amount of oil. I feel I got lucky there because it was a smoke generator for a few minutes but that improved with the casing off.

These trimmers advertise that they can be stored in any orientation so I'm really surprised by this. Any ideas?

I otherwise love this trimmer. I've killed two trimmers in roughly two years on my 1.5-acre property with a mix of forest bullshit and Texas weeds. This trimmer devours everything without me ever having to lean on the trigger.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
This is probably a stupid question but can you buy lengths of hose to use as a drain? I bought a dehumidifier that has a hookup for a hose drain, and all the photos just show a cut garden hose. I don’t have an old hose to cut up though. Do I just buy a new hose for this?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Deadite posted:

This is probably a stupid question but can you buy lengths of hose to use as a drain? I bought a dehumidifier that has a hookup for a hose drain, and all the photos just show a cut garden hose. I don’t have an old hose to cut up though. Do I just buy a new hose for this?

Yeah any hose with the right internal diameter will work, doesn't have to be garden hose. Often dehumidifiers come with a short length of hose that fits.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Deadite posted:

Most big box stores will sell some type of plastic/vinyl hose of varying diameters by the foot or metre. You should also be able to get an appropriate barbed hose adapter and small clamp to secure it in place after. It doesn't have to specifically be a piece of garden hose.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deadite posted:

If you need a short hose look up “hook up hose”

This what I have on my dehumidifier.
Teknor Apex 7533-4 Hook Up Hose - 1/2" x 4' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00167U0PG

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I've got a Stihl FS45 weed trimmer that I can't get to stay running. Somewhere in trying to get it to start the first time the fuel bulb broke so I just ordered a whole carb replacement kit since it was $15. I put it in yesterday and it ran for a while but when I tried to start it today it decided not to work again. It will spin up for a second then die immediately.

I've tried adjusting the carb and taking out the spark arrestor but neither made a difference. I have no idea where to go from here. The carb kit included new fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter, and spark plug so it shouldn't be any of those. Any ideas?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If you need a short hose look up “hook up hose”

This what I have on my dehumidifier.
Teknor Apex 7533-4 Hook Up Hose - 1/2" x 4' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00167U0PG

Yep, this is what I'm looking for. Thank you

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

What happens if you leave the gas cap off? Sometimes the air vent hole in the gas cap gets clogged and pulling fuel out of the tank creates a vacuum.

Did you clean the whole carb too including needles and float?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Guy at work is building some garden boxes out of some random plywood and XxX wood we've got laying around the shop.
I don't really care about the dude that much, like if he quit and I never saw him again I wouldn't really give a gently caress.

That being said, he's staining the boxes with this stuff. And also this stuff Both cans say in big letters POISON on them, though maybe thats just if you drink the poo poo.
I don't really know poo poo about gardening, or stain or anything but is this the type of stuff thats going to leach chemicals and other toxic poo poo in to his vegetables? Even though I pretty much don't give a gently caress about the dude, I guess I don't want to see him poison himself, or his GF because he painted his garden boxes with something toxic.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 2, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Looking to get some advice/guidance on my guest bathroom remodel. I tore everything out yesterday had a few questions.

1. The wife wants a small tile like this - it’s my first tiling job so I’m just not sure if this is more difficult than larger tile.

2. The previous tile was straight on the subfloor and there’s a low spot where they filled in with some sort of leveler, it was about half an inch at the deepest part. Are there any better options doing it this time? Obviously we are going to be using an underlayment, but under that?

3. How hosed am I on having to replace the drywall? They put the tile straight on it and it didn’t come off cleanly in some spots.

1: small tiles will be easier to set, they will flow with imperfections on the floor, and your cuts will be way more manageable.
2. That second picture looks rough as poo poo. You can do a leveler, but is it possible to maybe put down some 1/4" backer board (either hardie or dura rock?) It will give you a really nice clean surface to put your tile on.
3. is this in the shower?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

2. That second picture looks rough as poo poo. You can do a leveler, but is it possible to maybe put down some 1/4" backer board (either hardie or dura rock?) It will give you a really nice clean surface to put your tile on.

Out of curiosity, how do those products compare to something like marine-grade plywood?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've had a terrible harbor freight 8 gallon air compressor foisted on me. Some times it works, some times you turn it on and it hums for a few seconds and and trips the breaker, some times it chugs along for a minute, not building pressure before tripping the breaker.

I've verified the oil level is good and changed it for fresh oil and it's slightly better now. Would it be worth it to tear it down and see whats up or is this more a toss it in the trash situation?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tactlessbastard posted:

...Would it be worth it to tear it down and see whats up or is this more a toss it in the trash situation?

It depends on what else you could be doing with your time for $99.00+tax.

Protip: good luck finding parts for HF poo poo when it breaks.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Out of curiosity, how do those products compare to something like marine-grade plywood?

The cement backer boards create a bond with the tile that is strong as hell. We can go over exterior grade plywood (I think that's the same as marine) with a lot of our mortars, but sometimes you end up with issues because wood shrinks and grows a lot more with temperature/humidity changes than a cement backer will.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

tactlessbastard posted:

I've had a terrible harbor freight 8 gallon air compressor foisted on me. Some times it works, some times you turn it on and it hums for a few seconds and and trips the breaker, some times it chugs along for a minute, not building pressure before tripping the breaker.

I've verified the oil level is good and changed it for fresh oil and it's slightly better now. Would it be worth it to tear it down and see whats up or is this more a toss it in the trash situation?

I had a low-end compressor from Canadian Tire that stopped making pressure. I pulled the jug and the oil-free piston's teflon ring had turned into mostly a smear on the cylinder wall. I called the 800 number on the box, and they sent me a new piston and ring for free.

For most mass-manufactured items, I have always had good luck calling the manufacturer. They usually seem happy to send me the 15 cents (to them) worth of parts.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Guy at work is building some garden boxes out of some random plywood and XxX wood we've got laying around the shop.
I don't really care about the dude that much, like if he quit and I never saw him again I wouldn't really give a gently caress.

That being said, he's staining the boxes with this stuff. And also this stuff Both cans say in big letters POISON on them, though maybe thats just if you drink the poo poo.
I don't really know poo poo about gardening, or stain or anything but is this the type of stuff thats going to leach chemicals and other toxic poo poo in to his vegetables? Even though I pretty much don't give a gently caress about the dude, I guess I don't want to see him poison himself, or his GF because he painted his garden boxes with something toxic.

The second product should be safe once it cures, I think. But the first is problematic. The treatment can leach into the soil and from there into your food. There's a reason why planter boxes are made from cedar or redwood, which are more rot-resistant than most woods. Even then they don't last forever.

That said, if he's planning to put a plastic liner on the inside of the planter, it's probably fine. Some more details here.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Due to corona, time I got and money I don't so I'll dig into it the next rainy day. (Tomorrow through next week, sigh) Today I've got exterior painting that has to take priority.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The second product should be safe once it cures, I think. But the first is problematic. The treatment can leach into the soil and from there into your food. There's a reason why planter boxes are made from cedar or redwood, which are more rot-resistant than most woods. Even then they don't last forever.

That said, if he's planning to put a plastic liner on the inside of the planter, it's probably fine. Some more details here.

The reviews on the company site all say it stinks when it rains. That means it's never getting to a point of not being water soluble. Ick.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

1: small tiles will be easier to set, they will flow with imperfections on the floor, and your cuts will be way more manageable.
3. is this in the shower?

2. The second pic is right next to the tub. The subfloor is sort of soft (not wet, just loose) there when you step on it so it probably just needs to be replaced. Oddly the rest of the tile I tore out from the bathroom was cracked and had missing grout but that section was fine. It's going to be a pain cutting it out near the tub but yeah Hardie is probably the way to go.

3. No the drywall where the tile border was is in the rest of the bathroom, we aren't touching the tub/shower area. I was thinking of putting baseboard around it but there are some chunks missing out of the drywall now where some of the tile stuck.

McGurk fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 2, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

TheManWithNoName posted:

2. The second pic is right next to the tub. The subfloor is sort of soft (not wet, just loose) there when you step on it so it probably just needs to be replaced. Oddly the rest of the tile I tore out from the bathroom was cracked and had missing grout but that section was fine. It's going to be a pain cutting it out near the tub but yeah Hardie is probably the way to go.

3. No the drywall where the tile border was is in the rest of the bathroom, we aren't touching the tub/shower area. I was thinking of putting baseboard around it but there are some chunks missing out of the drywall now where some of the tile stuck.

The tile backer boards aren't replacement for plywood on a floor, they go over top of it. (I'm not sure if I made that clear or not). Patch the crappy plywood with good plywood (so that it is sturdy), then backer over top of that.

If it's not in a shower and you're just doing baseboard, just try and patch it and then you can put your baseboard over top of that. In a shower situation it would be a very different answer.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

The tile backer boards aren't replacement for plywood on a floor, they go over top of it. (I'm not sure if I made that clear or not). Patch the crappy plywood with good plywood (so that it is sturdy), then backer over top of that.

If it's not in a shower and you're just doing baseboard, just try and patch it and then you can put your baseboard over top of that. In a shower situation it would be a very different answer.

Thanks yeah I'm new to tile. Is the backer fine to put tile straight onto or do I need something like a kerdi membrane on top of that?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Thanks yeah I'm new to tile. Is the backer fine to put tile straight onto or do I need something like a kerdi membrane on top of that?

Glue and screw the backer to the plywood. (comb out thinset (get the premixed stuff) onto the plywood and then screw it down with a screw every 8".

slick the seams with the same thinset, put mesh tape into the thinset, then flat trowel the top of the tape to skim off the excess. Now you have a nice flat cement like floor.

If you want to do waterproofing you can (Here's a link to a big rear end effortpost I did on waterproofing in another thread), but it's probably not a world ending thing if you don't use it, most bathrooms prior to about 10 or so years ago probably don't have it.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 2, 2020

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Wandering Orange posted:

What happens if you leave the gas cap off? Sometimes the air vent hole in the gas cap gets clogged and pulling fuel out of the tank creates a vacuum.

Did you clean the whole carb too including needles and float?

I replaced the carb entirely.

It started up today (had to fix the carb settings after loving with it yesterday lol). Died out and wouldn't start again, but opening the gas cap for a moment fixed it right away. thanks!

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
So... does anybody have any experience with sinkholes and related phenomena? Mrs. Machine found like a 1 inch diameter hole in the yard and noted that the stick she inserted into it vanished and made a deep splashing sound. I excavated it with the post-hole diggers I bought to replace my mailbox and found a little water-filled hole. The water is only about 3 inches deep now. This is probably 20 feet from where the city very recently excavated and filled a large sinkhole. Could this just be a leftover from that? Should I be poking around down there and checking for a collapsed sewer lateral? Attache photo of a water-filled hole is probably not very helpful, but this is what I'm looking at. I've capped it off with a giant concrete block for now but I'm at a loss as to what to do long-term.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 3, 2020

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What picture?

I say call the city.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kid sinister posted:

What picture?

I say call the city.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

What picture?

:argh: Hopefully fixed now.

kid sinister posted:

I say call the city.

Yeah this sounds reasonable. It doesn't smell like sewage and it just rained a lot so I doubt it's the sewer lateral and the now-filled-in sinkhole was obviously a malfunctioning storm drain. It's also near a fire hydrant so there are more ways for this to be their problem than mine... I think? Deffo not my area of expertise.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

Glue and screw the backer to the plywood. (comb out thinset (get the premixed stuff) onto the plywood and then screw it down with a screw every 8".

slick the seams with the same thinset, put mesh tape into the thinset, then flat trowel the top of the tape to skim off the excess. Now you have a nice flat cement like floor.

If you want to do waterproofing you can (Here's a link to a big rear end effortpost I did on waterproofing in another thread), but it's probably not a world ending thing if you don't use it, most bathrooms prior to about 10 or so years ago probably don't have it.

Thanks so much, really looking forward to doing this now that I have a plan.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Got ya. As far as I've seen it looks like he's using landscaping fabric of some type, not plastic. I don't know what he is doing with which product. Maybe he's painting the outside of the boxes with the "bad" one and the inside with the "good" one.
The boxes themselves are made up of plywood, and 2xX wood we've got laying around the shop that comes from random skids and crates that we get poo poo delivered to us in.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I live in an urban apartment. My windows are so poorly insulated/sealed I can smell weed, cigarettes, and every restaurant on the block. It's a rental so replacing the windows isn't an option (and we're moving out in four months anyway). The urgency is due to the fact that I have asthma and don't want to breathe in tear gas/pepper spray. Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve plastic wrapping the whole window (the building has no AC and summer is coming) and is either removable or is something the landlord won't notice? They aren't doing "nonessential maintenance" due to the pandemic so I don't think I'd be able to get them to do anything about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

I live in an urban apartment. My windows are so poorly insulated/sealed I can smell weed, cigarettes, and every restaurant on the block. It's a rental so replacing the windows isn't an option (and we're moving out in four months anyway). The urgency is due to the fact that I have asthma and don't want to breathe in tear gas/pepper spray. Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve plastic wrapping the whole window (the building has no AC and summer is coming) and is either removable or is something the landlord won't notice? They aren't doing "nonessential maintenance" due to the pandemic so I don't think I'd be able to get them to do anything about this.

You're best bet is going to be plastic wrapping and then removing once this whole teargas / pepper spray riots thing goes away. you're not really going to be able to seal the windows without you know.. sealing the windows.