Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
So I've got the attached thermostat in my house. Lately, it's getting to where no matter what temperature you set it on, the furnace won't kick on until it's several degrees below the set point and then when it does it runs and runs and runs until it's anywhere from 5 to 15 degrees above the set point. Turning the thermostat to off won't stop the furnace during one of those heating cycles.

Is this a bad thermostat or is it symptomatic of another problem?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've heard that's a terrible idea because there's no way to know how "clean" the ice is.

That's generally true but you can buy clean ice, FYI

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My house really needs a new roof, It's on the original 70's shingles and there's a few places where the decking is a bit soft and there are signs of repaired water damage inside. I know how to do all that, and it's on the budget for next year. Last weekend we had a hail storm so I went up there looking for damage with my fingers crossed, but didn't find any obvious hail damage. One thing I did find that was new since the last time I was up there was the attached picture. Is this something I can temporarily patch with a piece of shingle material slid under there? Would this need a more substantial fix than that between now and next year? Should I start rearranging things and redoing the roof this year?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Yes, they will. We'll depreciate the hell out of it & hold that depreciated amount out of the settlement until the roof's replaced, but it will be released once the repairs are completed.

I've written to replace ancient, fossilized roof systems damaged by hail & wind, because the shingles fail the brittle test (if you can't bend them back more than the 35-degrees or so that is the bare minimum to get nails in without it cracking).

I admit to being pretty ignorant about insurance. I've got neighbors across the street who had a limb damage their roof, and when the adjuster got up there they saw existing hail damage so they are replacing the whole thing instead of patching it. On the other hand, reading about hail damage and insurance online, there's also the one going around where the guy says he called the insurance company, they came out, took a look at his roof and said we're not covering it, and if you don't fix it in x amount of time we're cancelling your policy, which is a bit intimidating.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

That can happen if no damage is found but the roof is a train wreck -and- the adjuster files a risk report documenting the sad condition of the roof. I don’t do this unless a supervisor puts a gun to my head.

The way around that is to have a roofer look at what is leaking & why, then talk to your agent first if the roofer & you think it’s damage that can be claimed (wear & tear cannot be claimed).

Thanks for the skinny!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Shark Bite fittings are literally magic. The first time I used one I triple checked the shutoff valve and ran water to make sure it was actually pressurized. I couldn’t believe how easy they are to use.

When my house's water supply suddenly dropped to a trickle because the galvanized pipe from the street to the house had corroded and had a stroke, I dug all that poo poo up and then headed down to local hardware store. The old guy asks, what do you need? I tell him i need 60' of 1.5" PVC, a new pressure regulator (shovel got the original) and whatever fittings necessary to tie the PVC into my under house copper.

He says, what are you working on? And I tell him about my galvanized pipe and he says, "Oh no my friend, let me tell you and PEX and Shark Bite." And ever since that day I haven't huffed any more PVC glue.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Great question! I was confused about that too until my girlfriend told me the locksmith put it in there so it wouldn't have an obvious gaping hole in her door.

I disassembled the lock last night and took some pictures. I'm honestly not sure why this is such a pain in the dick. This appears to be a cylinder that would work if it weren't too short?

This is the currently installed, non functional cylinder. I'm not sure if it is internally broken or not linking up with something because we have the keys but they don't actually lock? that rod looks broken and probably too short?

This is the lock. I would assume the cylinder turns the black bit which appears to be a rubber of some kind that the deadbolt knob also turns?

This is the front of the door where they key would go in.

These appear to be the same thing? http://www.allaboutdoors.com/Products/Pella-Keyed-Cylinders

Man, I came so close to posting last night and saying that if I were you I'd replace the whole thing, because finding specific parts would be a pain in the rear end.

This unhelpful post was brought to you by the letter P and the number 7.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
An ill advised walk in closet renovation blocked access to the speaker controls. It's actually what they got divorced over.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A little late with the response, I know, but we took care of the problem. There was a screw in the line. No idea how it got there. Thanks anyways.

Literally in the pipe? That's a new one.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Oh man, and I honestly almost posted "hey you should tell any people who live with you not to use the water if you have left it on" but then was like nah that's not needed :)

My uncles were working on finishing out an unfinished basement. Steve told Louis, alright, time to start wiring in these sockets, go flip the breaker, so Louis went up to the garage, did so, and came back to the basement. They discuss for several minutes their plan of action, and then Steve settles in and starts to do the electrical work and promptly shocks the poo poo out of himself. He yells at Louis for turning off the wrong goddamn breaker, Louis yells back he did no such thing and then comes over to prove it and manages to shock himself, too.

Louis goes back up the garage and finds all the breakers turned on and thinks Jesus, I've got to stop day drinking, and turns the breaker off and goes back into the basement. Louis and Steve argue for a few minutes more about the initial gently caress up, Louis convinces Steve that he's got it right now, and Steve resumes electrical work and promptly shocks himself again. At this point the fists are coming up and the yelling recommences which gets loud enough for my aunt, who neither one knew had come home comes running down the stairs to tell them 1) to knock it off, whatever they're arguing about because 2) something keeps tripping the breaker and she is trying to run a load through the dryer.

Anyway long story short don't do electrical work without a multimeter.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Ha this kind of reminds me of my AC going out last year. It's after hours on a Friday and luckily a friend of a friend is gonna come by and check it. It's Mississippi in the summer... you need an AC.

Well the guy flips the outside breaker and then figures its the capacitor gone bad (it had) and changes it out. While changing it out the thing arcs like a mofo and almost kills him. He's dumbfounded. Checks outside breaker... it's definitely set to off. Well he gets a stick and pushes the actual panel open. Not the door, but removes the whole plate.

The loving breaker had been BYPASSED AND WIRED TO THE INTERIOR BREAKER BOX. And then, instead of removing the box because it's code to have one, they just covered it back up. God my previous homeowners were loving poo poo.

I had shut off the breaker for the living room lights because I was replacing a bad black box in a ceiling fan light fixture that had been making a horrible buzzing noise. I was about an hour into it when my wife comes along and says, hey, the a/c isn't coming on. So, I poke around with the thermostat for a few minutes and then call out the A/C guy, he pokes around for a while before declaring, hey, there's no power to your blower, you need to call an electrician. I pay him and go back in to look up an electrician and then have a sudden brainwave about what else might be on that ceiling fan circuit :doh:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

Your main lugs (Google it to see what I'm referring to) are *always* live, even if you shut off the main breaker.

Exception: during power outages.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Except unless the lines to your meter are physically broken you have no way to guarantee they won't re-energize at any moment.

Pshh, what are the chances? Go ham!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Drink it

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Can someone "check the work" here. He notched some studs (a forums favorite) and while most of them look like <50% I am slightly concerned with the corners. It's the plumber everyone in the area uses (including us previously), licensed/bonded/insured that sorta thing. Above the new pipe is a window.

Closeup of the corner nearest the new outlet.

(Trust me, this was the easy way. He drilled "down" then crawled under the floor to find it and there are concrete steps in the way.)

I've done better work than that on barns

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One of my friends was a major sales director and product manager for Sherwin Williams and then for Benjamin Moore, and he assures us that BM is the best paint around. Interestingly, while it's nearly twice as expensive, you use so much less of it that it, since it covers better and is easier to work with, that it ends up not costing twice to do the same job.

Oh, the sales director says it's good huh

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Oh, I agree, just joking y'all

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm going to have to dig up and replace my sewer line from the house to the street because root intrusions are blocking it at least once a year now.

Problem is, the line runs right under the nicest part of my yard, any tips on preserving the grass and having everything flat again after I dig up that porous iron piece of poo poo and lay in an equal size PVC pipe?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

We used to have our clay sewer line clog up about once a year with roots then we started using Root-X and haven’t had it happened since. Delaying the inevitable but not really something I want to pay for right now.

It's worth a shot, I'm not looking forward to digging that bastard out. :barf:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Sounds like he didn't use heat proof paint. Either tell him he hosed up it or strip and repaint it yourself

Who paints a stove top?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Gray, what a daring choice! Are you sure you don't want to stick with something a little less controversial, like say beige, or a slightly different shade of white?

Kids these days don't even know where to get the blood of their enemies

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

z16bitsega posted:

The previous owners "fixed" it by nailing a 2x6 over it (using two whole nails!),

Bastards!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Personally I'd demolish a wall and reframe it to make what I had in mind from scratch before I ever worked on removing wallpaper again.

That or burn the house down.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've got a Maytag electric double oven. The lower oven has started burning the poo poo out of food. Is the thermostat and elements on one of these things user serviceable?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Thanks y'all :cheers:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s not post 1980 i know that much. 60s iirc.

As for tenant notifications its all government with a healthy dose of military.

For some reason that reminds me of a lathe I used back in my early 20s at a machining job. It was so old (government surplus) that undeneath the Pratt & Whitney nameplate was a 'Property of War Department' stamp. It probably came off a destroyer, hah.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Get a thimble and push the nail in manually. Eat your spinach first.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

The previous owners painted the brick around my fireplace with black gloss latex paint. How much of a pain in the rear end would it be to strip the paint from the brick?

Burn it down and build a new house.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

They look really nice as is :shrug:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
So we had some storms this spring and a little roof damage and the good people at USAA have decided to give me $$$ to reroof this house.

Thing is, due to the global pandemic, I've got gently caress all else going on so I'm going to do it myself for $.

In my hale youth I did several houses with three tab shingles and I've got a pretty good handle on the basics, but I'm going with architectural shingles on this house and I have a question:

It looks like there's no getting out of buying the hip/ridge cap pieces, but do you have to buy the pre-made starters or can you still cut a shingle in half? Are there any other gotchas lurking?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

We just had one of these roofs installed in December, and, yes, you have to buy the ridge cap. Architecturals are laminates and they don't handle cutting down for ridge cap very well.

I mean a starter for the bottom row.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've only done one roof, but it was architectural shingles, and the bottom-row starter was substantially cheaper than cutting shingles in half. Plus it came as a roll so you could just roll out what you needed for a given edge and make a single cut.

OK I'm sold thx

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Got the roof done over the last few days, only able to do it a section at a time due to nightly rain risks.

While we were at i popped the trim off the edge of my carport because I suspected water damage behind it.

Holy moly it was worse that I thought:

My dad has a sawmill and we can cut a pine beam whatever size I need, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to get that booger out of there and the new one in without bringing down the whole carport?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The truck that came and picked up all my shingles had to cut the corner while leaving. It has been raining and he left some ruts across the front of my yard. What's the best way to fix that and preserve the grass?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
In the interests of restoring domestic harmony, I've decided to paint the drip edge to match the fascia. Is there a trick to painting metal? I've never done it and I don't want it to start peeling off within a year

In other news I got that rotten beam replaced without destroying my carport or killing anyone.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Clean it, sand it, primer, then paint. Sanding scuffs it, giving the primer more surface area to adhere to; primer then lets the paint stick.

What grit do you recommend?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I'm not an expert, but my impression is that it doesn't really matter all that much. I'd guess anything between 60 and 400 would probably be fine. You're not really aggressively sanding it, you're just wiping across it a couple of times to get some scratches on the metal.

Thanks!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

HisMajestyBOB posted:

One of the lights in an inside hallway went out and I went to replace it. When I took off the cover, I saw this:

From what I've learned while Googling, it's an integrated LED fixture. They're supposed to last 10 years, but this one lasted less than 4 (it was installed by the previous owners in Sept 2016 or a little later, based on a date on the fixture). No receipt, so I can't go to whoever installed it.

When I turn on the light switch, some of the diodes do light up faintly.

It looks pretty likely that I'll have to get a professional in to replace the whole drat fixture based on what I've found so far. However, I can't even find any basic troubleshooting info on this, or information on how one would replace it or the capacitor. Does anyone have anything that could help? Should I resign myself to paying an electrician ~ $100 to change a light bulb?

I had one of those fixtures crap out after 18 months. Otoh you don't need an electrician to replace it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've had a terrible harbor freight 8 gallon air compressor foisted on me. Some times it works, some times you turn it on and it hums for a few seconds and and trips the breaker, some times it chugs along for a minute, not building pressure before tripping the breaker.

I've verified the oil level is good and changed it for fresh oil and it's slightly better now. Would it be worth it to tear it down and see whats up or is this more a toss it in the trash situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Due to corona, time I got and money I don't so I'll dig into it the next rainy day. (Tomorrow through next week, sigh) Today I've got exterior painting that has to take priority.