Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I have a question about more "macro" home-improvement.

I would like to build a so-called roof deck on my rowhome in Baltimore City.
I have been looking on the Baltimore Permit site:
http://www.baltimorehousing.org/index/permits.asp
and a few of the documents seem to indicate that to do such an addition, I would need to get a licensed contractor to do the work.
Now, I understand if there needs to be an engineer stamping and signing off on such things, but generally is it the case that you need to get a professional to do home improvement? Seems kind of funny to me, given all the do-it-yourself stuff which is flaunted so much in society. Ideally I would like to do this myself, or at least most of it.

Obviously codes will be different from place to place, but if someone has some experience with a matter such as this it would be great!
Thanks

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I am building a deck, and I have a question about footings for it.

The deck will be a few feet off the ground in the backyard of my Baltimore City rowhome. The backyard is currently an existing 4-6" pad. Can I bolt (with the proper boots) my posts to the cement pad?

IRC and IBC 2006 say nothing of decks and vaguely reference the situation in the footings section.