Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

It's a scarf that looks like my avatar. Or rather, it's a scarf based on the shirt I'm wearing in my avatar, as seen in this unflattering photo. The white part's got sparkly thread in it; it's cheap yarn I got at the art supply store. This is the first thing I've ever knitted, and I'll probably give it away this weekend.

Am currently working on more scarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sswanso
Jul 4, 2006

we are social fools
Not my work, but my girlfriend gave this today as a late Christmas gift, and I thought everyone here would like it:

An 8' long MST3K themed scarf. Along with my 36' long Doctor Who scarf, I own the two coolest scarves in the world.

Mafialligator
Sep 22, 2003

Lincoln Approves

sswanso posted:

Not my work, but my girlfriend gave this today as a late Christmas gift, and I thought everyone here would like it:

An 8' long MST3K themed scarf. Along with my 36' long Doctor Who scarf, I own the two coolest scarves in the world.

I want that so... much! Seriously your girlfriend should open an etsy store and make those, I'd buy one for pretty much any price below $75. She'd make a mint on em.

Corsair Canard
Aug 18, 2004

Let's croak us some Toads!
Here's my Slytherin scarf. I feel like a dork while wearing it, but its double layered so its so warm I wear it a lot.

I just started on a Doctor Who scarf, I'm sure it will take forever.

sswanso posted:

Along with my 36' long Doctor Who scarf, I own the two coolest scarves in the world.

Oh god I hope mine doesn't end up that long. Post pics of yours please?

MallcoreMotion
Jul 30, 2006
Ack, I just remembered why I didn't want to do the "harf", I'm afraid of circular needles. Oh well, I think I'll go back to my plan of making leg warmers. I've never done intarsia before and that's why I quit on them in the first place.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...
I just finished a shyguy scarf for my best friend. If I ever get around to taking a picture of him wearing it I'll post it here.

Does anyone have a good link that explains how to double knit (I think that's the correct term)? I feel like it would make a lot of my projects look more finished, but I don't have a clue how to do it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

justasmile posted:

I just finished a shyguy scarf for my best friend. If I ever get around to taking a picture of him wearing it I'll post it here.

Does anyone have a good link that explains how to double knit (I think that's the correct term)? I feel like it would make a lot of my projects look more finished, but I don't have a clue how to do it.

Have you seen the KnittingHelp.com video? (Scroll 3/4th's down the page for it.) It did the trick for me.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...

effika posted:

Have you seen the KnittingHelp.com video? (Scroll 3/4th's down the page for it.) It did the trick for me.

Thanks! I'm fairly certain that makes sense now, and it should make scarves look a lot better and keep me much warmer!

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Does anybody know how to scale down a project?
I want to knit a baby blanket for a friend, but I don't know if I'm capable of the pattern, I want to do a test swatch but don't know how much to cast on. Is it as easy as counting the stitches in the pattern to figure it out?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
^
If you just want to try out the stitch pattern, figure out what the stitch count is and cast on a multiple of that. Usually that's how many stitches you work before you repeat the pattern (ie something like *k3, p2, repeat from * would be 5 stitches). Depending on the stitch pattern it may be multiples of x + y stitches, if there's a border or something like that. Does that make any sense? If not you could post the stitch pattern and someone can figure it out.

sswanso
Jul 4, 2006

we are social fools

Corsair Canard posted:

Oh god I hope mine doesn't end up that long. Post pics of yours please?

Until I find my camera, this slightly blurry picture of me from Facebook will have to do:

A friend's mother made it for me. As far as length, the scarf used on the show grew over time, starting at about thirteen feet. There's a whole website dedicated to the history of the Doctor Who/Tom Baker scarf, appropriately titled DoctorWhoScarf.com.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Does anyone have tips on how to get neat edges? My edges are horrible and uneven, and I've tried the technique on Knittinghelp. Is there some secret trick that I don't know about?

Pixel Army
Jun 24, 2006
My finger is on the killswitch..
I knit this back in november with 2 shades of Simply Soft

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Midnight Sun posted:

Does anyone have tips on how to get neat edges? My edges are horrible and uneven, and I've tried the technique on Knittinghelp. Is there some secret trick that I don't know about?

Your two best bets are (I don't know what the knittinghelp one is so you may have tried one of these already):

1) At the beginning of the row, when you insert the needle into your first stitch, pull your working yarn as tight as possible, then knit. Repeat for the second stitch, and your edge stitches will be nice and tight.

2) Slip the first stitch of every row instead of working it. This will stretch your edge stitches over two rows so they look more smooth.

Corsair Canard
Aug 18, 2004

sswanso posted:

Until I find my camera, this slightly blurry picture of me from Facebook will have to do:

A friend's mother made it for me. As far as length, the scarf used on the show grew over time, starting at about thirteen feet. There's a whole website dedicated to the history of the Doctor Who/Tom Baker scarf, appropriately titled DoctorWhoScarf.com.

Thanks. That's actually where I got the pattern from. Just wanted to check out yours and compare colors. I think mine is going to be 20' or so.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Drei posted:

Your two best bets are (I don't know what the knittinghelp one is so you may have tried one of these already):

1) At the beginning of the row, when you insert the needle into your first stitch, pull your working yarn as tight as possible, then knit. Repeat for the second stitch, and your edge stitches will be nice and tight.

2) Slip the first stitch of every row instead of working it. This will stretch your edge stitches over two rows so they look more smooth.
I usually slip the first stitch of the row, but I'll give the first method a try. Thanks. :)
(The knittinghelp method is slipping the first stitch, btw.)

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I'm glad to see that not everyone is using 100% natural fibers. Stitch N' Bitch makes me feel like a douche because I'm always reaching for the acrylic, but you guys make me feel better for being so cheap. Not only am I broke, I also have a mild wool allergy and knitting with it for a long time gives me a rash.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I prefer working with wool when I'm making something for myself, but I usually make gifts in acrylic so they're easy to care for. At the risk of sounding like a yarn snob, I shy away from Red Heart and Lion Brand these days. I've seen others get great results with them. But when it comes to acrylics, Plymouth Encore works better for me and feels nicer on my hands. And if I'm using wool, Cascade 220 is good quality, inexpensive, and has a fantastic range of colors.

Yarn is a really personal choice though, so it's sad when authors or other crafters make it sound as if you're some kind of degenerate for having preferences that are different from theirs.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Joining the scarf gang. I just started knitting this modified Gryffindor scarf. I hope it's not sacreligious to have a pink Harry Potter scarf. ;)

I also tried knitting my so called scarf, but as usual my edges look like crap. :mad:

fap
Jul 1, 2003

roll you up into my life.
I just got some more Noro in the mail and I'm so happy! Noro is officially my favorite kind of yarn. I got some Silk Garden and some Kureyon. The Silk garden is going to be made into this scarf.

Also anyone have any knitpicks needles? I've got the Harmony Options and I love em! They didn't break the bank (at my LYS, the Boye set was over $100), they're beautiful and easy to use too.

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

fap posted:

Also anyone have any knitpicks needles? I've got the Harmony Options and I love em! They didn't break the bank (at my LYS, the Boye set was over $100), they're beautiful and easy to use too.

I got them for Christmas, as well as the sock needle set. I haven't used the circs (except for moving a project off my Denise and onto the Knit Picks), but I'm currently using the sock needles. I've got a pair of Broadripple socks, from Knitty on the Knit Picks, and those needles knit way better than the same size Clovers I have a pair of Yoga Socks on. And they're prettier, too!

root a toot
Aug 7, 2006

mondo burger was manufactured and distributed to intentionally destroy the black community
I knit these non-fancy socks out of knit picks swish superwash for my dad in the last two days before I left home for school, and now i'm working on the Retro Redux Shrug from Lace Style.

I also highly recommend Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks for anyone who is interested in learning how but is a little scared or whatever reason. Socks were the first thing I tackled and this book made them so addicting (good for my dad) and easy (good for me).

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Midnight Sun posted:

I also tried knitting my so called scarf, but as usual my edges look like crap. :mad:

Blocking (soaking your knitted item in water, pressing out the excess between towels and then pinning the item flat/semi-taut on a flat surface until it dries) can smooth out a lot of what looks 'bad' while you're still in the process of knitting. I don't think it's as effective on non-natural fibers because synthetics (in general, not dissing the synthetics) don't have the 'memory' that natural fibers do have. Blocking is how you turn lace from a pile of yarn-vomit tied in knots into something breathtaking.

When you're done knitting your scarf, try blocking it out, using a darning needle, run a contrasting thread running lengthwise up each side - pin the ends of that contrasting thread taut and use pins to pull the scarf taut width-wise. See if that helps the look of the edge.

There's another edging that I frequently use for scarves that comes from the Backyard Leaves scard from Scarf Style. It's easily used in most patterns, and leaves a tidy 3 stitch edge. Plan 3 stitches on either side of your pattern repeat for this. On your knit (or right side) rows, k1, slip 1 stitch with yarn in front (s1wyif), k1. Do this at both ends of the knit row. On your purl row, slip the first stitch with yarn in back (s1wyib), p1, s1wyib. Do this at both ends of the purl row. In strict knit terms it looks like this:

RS: k1, s1wyif, k1 [pattern] k1, s1wyif, k1
WS: s1wyib, p1, s1wyib [pattern] s1wyib, p1, s1wyib

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, Kalista! I'll try blocking the scarf when it's done. Right now it's just an in-between project that I pick up when I'm tired of my other stuff, to finish off some left over yarn. It's 100% wool, so I think blocking will help a lot.

Corsair Canard
Aug 18, 2004

Midnight Sun posted:

Thanks, Kalista! I'll try blocking the scarf when it's done. Right now it's just an in-between project that I pick up when I'm tired of my other stuff, to finish off some left over yarn. It's 100% wool, so I think blocking will help a lot.

Be very careful blocking it since it's wool, you don't want to accidentally felt some of it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Argosy, in handpainted sportweight 50/50 merino/silk (bought at StashUpYarns). It's soft, toasty, and a little shiny. I really need to get a better picture of it-- if you're on Ravelry I have a few pictures that might show it off better (posted it to Show Me Your Knits! there).

Blocking it was interesting-- it was the first time I'd tried blocking wires. I didn't want to buy $30 worth of "special blocking wire" so I went out to the hardware store and bought some 19 gauge stainless steel wire and some of those flags you see marking utility lines in construction areas (Ace had everything I needed, Home Depot was less than helpful).

Normally I pin things out to my corkboard/bulletin board, but this was a scarf and I didn't want to do a section of it a day. I discovered that the spare bed I was going to be blocking the scarf on totally didn't hold pins well, so it was back to the corkboard. Instead of letting it dry overnight I came at it with a hair dryer to speed drying time. I'd always heard that silk likes a little heat when blocking, and I must say it came out pretty well. (Speed blocking!) The wires made sure all my points were even, despite the fact that I had to block it in 1ft sections.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Corsair Canard posted:

Be very careful blocking it since it's wool, you don't want to accidentally felt some of it.
No, I thought I could use cold water, or is that just stupid?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Midnight Sun posted:

No, I thought I could use cold water, or is that just stupid?

As long as you avoid rubbing it together a lot you should be fine. As my father discovered one day, even cold water will felt wool if it gets enough agitation.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

effika posted:

As long as you avoid rubbing it together a lot you should be fine. As my father discovered one day, even cold water will felt wool if it gets enough agitation.
I'll have that in mind. :)

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Midnight Sun posted:

I usually crochet a border around mine. It makes them look a lot neater.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Google Embryo posted:

I usually crochet a border around mine. It makes them look a lot neater.
I don't know how to crochet. :(

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Midnight Sun posted:

It's very easy to do! You just do this, except you do it right into the edges of the scarf instead of into a crochet chain. Crocheting basics are very very simple to learn. If you learned how to knit on your own, you'll really realize that crochet is about 10 times easier! At least to learn on your own anyway.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Midnight Sun posted:

Crochet is super-simple compared to knitting, at least for me. Don't be afraid of the hook! You might even find that you like it, and then you can defect over to the crochet thread. :D

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Google Embryo posted:

I'm glad to see that not everyone is using 100% natural fibers. Stitch N' Bitch makes me feel like a douche because I'm always reaching for the acrylic, but you guys make me feel better for being so cheap. Not only am I broke, I also have a mild wool allergy and knitting with it for a long time gives me a rash.

I get SO irritated with people who think you'll burn in hell if you're not using 100% natural stuff.

Sorry folks, but I don't think the world will end if I buy wool-ease or even red heart. :) Yarn snobs bug me! I love really beautiful yarn and am really interested in hand-spun stuff and really respect those who do it. But I knit on a budget PLUS I actually don't mind the feel of acrylics depending on how they are- whereas 100% wool makes me incredibly itchy. I'd rather knit with materials knowing that I'll utilize them whether they're acrylic, cotton, a blend, etc than knit with something just because it's natural-only only to have the item sit in a closet.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Ozma posted:

I get SO irritated with people who think you'll burn in hell if you're not using 100% natural stuff.

Sorry folks, but I don't think the world will end if I buy wool-ease or even red heart. :) Yarn snobs bug me! I love really beautiful yarn and am really interested in hand-spun stuff and really respect those who do it. But I knit on a budget PLUS I actually don't mind the feel of acrylics depending on how they are- whereas 100% wool makes me incredibly itchy. I'd rather knit with materials knowing that I'll utilize them whether they're acrylic, cotton, a blend, etc than knit with something just because it's natural-only only to have the item sit in a closet.

And for those of us with wool allergies (sob!) cotton doesn't always work for a lot of projects since it doesn't have that elasticity that wool and acrylics have.

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004
Well, I know that the Stitch 'n Bitch books Happy Hooker and Son of Stitch 'n Bitch books feature projects with synthetics for sure. As far as my project goes, I was begging to use some other material than acrylic for the project I had in SoSNB. I had knit up four of those dead rabbits in acrylic, and there was no way that I was going to use more for that bear. Granted, I used Red Heart for almost every aspect of those rabbits except for a little bit of Caron Simply Soft, which I wish I had used first.

However, today I picked up some Lion Brand Microspun for a toy I'm making for my husband's best friend. I'll post that when I'm done, but right now I'm in the planning stages. I don't want to give away what it is yet, since I'd like to keep it a secret from him.

Also, pictures of my daughter's dress are coming shortly. I've got the right size ribbon this time. The pattern, which is a vintage one, didn't give any idea as to what size ribbon to use. I forgot that there were some holes in the sleeves for ribbons, so my 3/4" ribbon was far too large. I ended up picking up some 1/4" today, and I'll insert that later tonight.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

boobookitty posted:

Well, I know that the Stitch 'n Bitch books Happy Hooker and Son of Stitch 'n Bitch books feature projects with synthetics for sure.

I haven't checked out either. :(

There really aren't THAT many yarn snobs that I come across anyway- I think most of us just use what feels comfortable. I've just stumbled into a few in yarn shops that make you feel like total scum if you dare to even look at a Lion Brand product.

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004

Ozma posted:

I haven't checked out either. :(

There really aren't THAT many yarn snobs that I come across anyway- I think most of us just use what feels comfortable. I've just stumbled into a few in yarn shops that make you feel like total scum if you dare to even look at a Lion Brand product.

Ah, see, all of the yarn shops around here don't carry Lion Brand at all. You have to go to the big box stores around here to get it. So, when I want some fancy yarn, I go to the yarn shops (although I tend to shop KnitPicks first for a lot of stuff). But if I'm just looking for some cheap yarn to get the job done, I go to Wal-Mart, Michael's, or Jo-Ann Fabrics. I guess I get a little turned off by acrylic because people who know I'm into the fiber arts tend to give me just whatever acrylic they have lying around or get at a garage sale or whatever. The ones who do crochet or knit know better, but my mom got me a huge stash of acrylic in all different bright rainbow colors, very obviously Red Heart or a close relative, that I have no clue what to do with. I'm considering knitting up a bunch of baby hats for a local hospital sometime, but I'd have to finish up all of these other projects first :). I usually only buy yarn with a project in mind, so this stuff just takes up room.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My go-to yarn for any project (unless it requires felting) is Caron Simply Soft. Oftentimes I'll have more expensive stuff in my stash, but it'll be the wrong color or the wrong gauge. Acrylics have come such an incredibly long way that there's no reason to feel bad about using them (especially when they're $2.30 at Wal-Mart for a couple hundred yards).

Simply Soft will permanently block with some water and an iron, getting shiny and drape-y like Rayon. I hate blocking out lace, and at least with Simply Soft I know I only have to get it right once.

I do love wool yarn, too. Every yarn has its place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

boobookitty posted:

I guess I get a little turned off by acrylic because people who know I'm into the fiber arts tend to give me just whatever acrylic they have lying around or get at a garage sale or whatever.

Yeah, that does happen a lot. I inherited a dead relative's yarn stash- my grandmother thought I'd be overjoyed to get it but my reaction was "thanks but no thanks for giving me 3 boxes full of bright red and green acrylic yarn that smell like old ladies."

Most of the time I don't like getting yarn as a gift anyway, unless the person giving the gift knows to give you several skeins. I have lots of well-meaning family members who get me one skein of yarn that's expensive and pretty but difficult to use because it's only one skein. :( One friend gave me some really interesting alpaca yarn and I started a project with it and had to pay a ton of money to track down more skeins just to finish it.

effika posted:

My go-to yarn for any project (unless it requires felting) is Caron Simply Soft.

Yep, I use a lot of Simply Soft. I used to make all my mario mushroom scarves out of it. :)