Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm mostly a crochet sort of guy, but I'm learning more and more to knit, and I have a question: how the hell do you get stockinette stitch to stop curling all over the place? Google said to enclose it in a border of some kind, so for this thin scarf I gave it a 3-rows thick border of garter stitch, but it's still curling all over the place and I'm going to have to go through the whole wetting and pressing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm mostly a crochet sort of guy, but I'm learning more and more to knit, and I have a question: how the hell do you get stockinette stitch to stop curling all over the place? Google said to enclose it in a border of some kind, so for this thin scarf I gave it a 3-rows thick border of garter stitch, but it's still curling all over the place and I'm going to have to go through the whole wetting and pressing process.

You can't - it's inherent in how stockinette fabric is made. You CAN work around it some, but those little 3-4 stich borders seen on Every Stockinette Piece doesn't work well, and blocking it (wetting & pressing) doesn't work well either. Check out Techknitter's discussion for the whys, and some ideas on fixing it.

She even uses a scarf as a practical example in the quest to fix it!

Of course, I'm assuming you're using wool for your scarf. If you're using acrylic, there's a possibility that "killing" it with an iron could work.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It doesn't help you much for something already knit, but you could also knit scarves as tubes in the round if you really love the look of stockinette and don't want it to just curl in uselessly. It takes longer since you're basically working double, but you get to hide your yarn ends on the inside and there's no ugly side that way too. Most any pattern can be converted to knit in the round instead of flat. You might have to look up how, but if you start with a provisional cast on you can kitchener stitch both ends when you're finished, then you have a sealed tube and don't have to bind off either.

I believe double knit stockinette will not curl but I still haven't sat down to do that yet so someone might have to correct me there. The benefit with a double knit is that you can get a reversible fabric quite easily. Downside is that it takes twice as long to knit.

I can't come up with a good use for flat stockinette and I figure if you need to practice purling, that's what ribbing is for :v:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Thanks for the response! Those drop stitch methods look really interesting, and this scarf was more of a meditation exercise while I listened to podcasts than an actual product I intended to make for a purpose, so I wouldn't mind changing the look some to keep it from curling.

Plus I don't have a lacy scarf yet, and I resent that lady's assumption that men can't wear lace. :colbert:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Thanks for the response! Those drop stitch methods look really interesting, and this scarf was more of a meditation exercise while I listened to podcasts than an actual product I intended to make for a purpose, so I wouldn't mind changing the look some to keep it from curling.

Plus I don't have a lacy scarf yet, and I resent that lady's assumption that men can't wear lace. :colbert:

I'm with you-- men can totally wear lace!

If you like meditative knitting, and dropping stiches-- there's a scarf/stole pattern where you do that on purpose! It is Clapotis, and seems to be a knitting right of passage, based on the number of projects on Ravelry. I've done two Clapotis because they're absolutely great for mindless knitting. I may do a third this year.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

NancyPants posted:

I believe double knit stockinette will not curl but I still haven't sat down to do that yet so someone might have to correct me there. The benefit with a double knit is that you can get a reversible fabric quite easily. Downside is that it takes twice as long to knit.

Posting to confirm this. Double knit stockinette is nice and flat!

One other thing you can do is to knit in 1x1 rib. It looks sort of like stockinette, and is nice and stretchy, too! All the scarves I knit in high school were 1x1 rib, and the people I gave them to seemed to like them.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

1x1 rib is probably a million times easier than either option I suggested lol

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Have you tried brioche stitch yet? It's very easy and produces a similar look to ribbing, it's double sided and very thick and squishy, and it doesn't curl at all.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
Hi knitting thread! I've been lurking here for a while, but just decided to post some of my finished objects. I just started knitting this summer and I've gotten a couple hats and mittens completed. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Way to jump in with both feet! Those look nice.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

icesoldier posted:

Hi knitting thread! I've been lurking here for a while, but just decided to post some of my finished objects. I just started knitting this summer and I've gotten a couple hats and mittens completed. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Those are amazing. Any chance you can link the patterns for the slouch hats and mitts?

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.

djinndarc posted:

Those are amazing. Any chance you can link the patterns for the slouch hats and mitts?

Yeah! In order, they're:

Opium hat
Spin Me Right Round, Baby
Eowyn Mittens
Eastern Northwestern Mitts

I made it a point to make each new project something that looked interesting, and a chance to try something new. I'm pretty proud of how everything's come out.

(This actually isn't the order I made them, though; I just wanted to stick the hats side-by-side since they had the portrait photos. The order I made them was Opium, Eowyn, Eastern Northwestern, then Spin Me, which I'd just finished blocking when I made that post.)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

icesoldier posted:

Excellent work! My first several projects looked much more amateurish! In particular there was a fun fur incident that I still haven't quite gotten over.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I made another scarf. It is soft and pretty and I like it

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
Hello thread. I knit. I knit a lot, and sometimes I want to show off what I've knit.

This is my most recent knit, and this is something I knit for my aunt. The pattern is Sylvi and it's a challenging knit. I don't know how it fits on her yet because I'm 150km away, but from the pictures she's loved how it looks.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Sehkmet, that's awesome!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Sehkmet posted:

Hello thread. I knit. I knit a lot, and sometimes I want to show off what I've knit.

This is my most recent knit, and this is something I knit for my aunt. The pattern is Sylvi and it's a challenging knit. I don't know how it fits on her yet because I'm 150km away, but from the pictures she's loved how it looks.

Oh, I love this pattern - that's from Twist Collective, right?

Also holy moly. Knitting a coat for another person is a level of selfless I'll never achieve, that's for sure! It came out awesome. :)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sehkmet posted:

WOAH! That's a labor of love, definitely. It looks great!

keyboard vomit posted:

I made another scarf. It is soft and pretty and I like it

Nice. Is it a Harry Potter House Scarf, or a Sports Team scarf? One of our high schools has Ravenclaw (books) colors so I always get it mixed up.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

Midnight Sun posted:

Sehkmet, that's awesome!

Thank you! :)

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Oh, I love this pattern - that's from Twist Collective, right?

Also holy moly. Knitting a coat for another person is a level of selfless I'll never achieve, that's for sure! It came out awesome. :)

It is from Twist Collective - I'm working on another one of their patterns right now, Ripplerock which is another good knit if you want a challenge; the lace border is complex enough to keep you engaged.

Thank you! l I knit a lot (even at work because I have a boring phone job) because it keeps my hands busy and helps a lot with my anxiety and depression - I figure I may as well put it to use for someone else!

effika posted:

WOAH! That's a labor of love, definitely. It looks great!

Thank you!

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

effika posted:

Nice. Is it a Harry Potter House Scarf, or a Sports Team scarf? One of our high schools has Ravenclaw (books) colors so I always get it mixed up.

Nope, I just like the look of green and grey together.

Now I just have to make a hat to match.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
Ive got a question about some weird thing with my stockinette knitting here, with diagram to show (since I'm knitting in black):

On the purl side of my work there is kind of a loose loop that skips a stitch and is attached to the stitches on either side of it. At first I thought it was a dropped stitch but my stitch count is the same as my cast on, which is what it should be. The knit side looks fine. It's not a huge deal as this is going to be a hat and the purl side will be on the inside, but I'm still confused as to wtf I did

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sounds like you slipped a stitch instead of working it (actually I suspect you worked it but later dropped it). Since the lower stitch in that row is still on your needle, it wouldn't affect the stitch count (number of columns), but you have one less row in that column. It doesn't matter, you can continue if you want, but just to explain.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
Sounds like an ok explanation to me. :) I'm a newbie and this is the second project I've ever attempted so I think I'm doing okay, all things considered.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I figured I should post what my whole scarf looks like since it's usually going to be tucked into my jacket. I'm going to be stylish even if people don't know to the full extent how.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Sehkmet posted:

That's amazing, I'm super impressed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

stimulated emission posted:

Sounds like an ok explanation to me. :) I'm a newbie and this is the second project I've ever attempted so I think I'm doing okay, all things considered.
Yeah totally! My second project was way hosed up.

Everyone is posting awesome things! I dig the scarf and the coat (wow I would not live long enough to knit that).

Citrus Sky
Sep 30, 2012
In a moment of insanity, on Monday I bought two skeins of Red Heart Unforgettable in a loud variegated color way called, appropriately, Stained Glass. Now that I have it, I wonder what was I thinking??! (I know what I was thinking - I was bored and lonely and it was my birthday and I tried to fill the emptiness with 100% acrylic clown barf.)

Anyone worked with this stuff? Is it worthwhile attempting to knit with it? Should I return it? Maybe I'll just sit around on the coffee table and admire all the blinding colors.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Citrus Sky posted:

In a moment of insanity, on Monday I bought two skeins of Red Heart Unforgettable in a loud variegated color way called, appropriately, Stained Glass. Now that I have it, I wonder what was I thinking??! (I know what I was thinking - I was bored and lonely and it was my birthday and I tried to fill the emptiness with 100% acrylic clown barf.)

Anyone worked with this stuff? Is it worthwhile attempting to knit with it? Should I return it? Maybe I'll just sit around on the coffee table and admire all the blinding colors.

I kinda like it. Could you turn it into socks/slippers?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Citrus Sky posted:

First of all, happy belated birthday.

You have noisy yarn on your hands. Congrats. I don't know how well acrylic roving is going to hold up for anything; I don't know if I would use it for slippers and I probably wouldn't use it for socks. Single ply really isn't good for socks.

If you're really married to turning it into something, I'd ply it with a solid light or dark color such as for a scarf or cowl.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Citrus Sky posted:

Anyone worked with this stuff? Is it worthwhile attempting to knit with it? Should I return it? Maybe I'll just sit around on the coffee table
and admire all the blinding colors.

Happy Birthday! :)

How about striping the two skeins together, just make sure to start with the colors not lined up. Or, do color work with a solid neutral.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004

Citrus Sky posted:

I have to agree with ackapoo, I kinda like it.

Why not something like Spectra? I think that the clownbarf would be nice in the colour sections.

Citrus Sky
Sep 30, 2012
Yeah I kinda like it too. There goes all my yarn snob cred though (sob.) But you're probably right, it would look good in Spectra with a dark gray, or maybe something simple like a noro striped scarf. Well, minus the noro. It's softer than noro anyway.

Sehkmet, that cabled sweater you knit is awesome!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Citrus Sky posted:

When I have a problem like that, I check out what other knitters have done on Ravelry. It seems scarves are popular, and some of them look very nice. It's a lot less yarn barfy than I expected, seeing it knit up.

EDIT: Spelling.

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 4, 2017

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I've been known to stand in the aisle and research colorways on Ravelry at the yarn store/craft store.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

MarsDragon posted:

When I have a problem like that, i check out what other knitters have done on Ravelry. It seems scarves and popular, and some of them look very nice. It's a lot less yarn barfy than I expected, seeing it knit up.

This one is absolutely stunning. It's a shame that the yarn is 100% acrylic and I am an unrepentant yarn snob, because the colours are beautiful.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

left_unattended posted:

This one is absolutely stunning. It's a shame that the yarn is 100% acrylic and I am an unrepentant yarn snob, because the colours are beautiful.

Looks gorgeous, but I'd hate to see it after a couple weeks of wear, or if anything ever spilled on it. I have a skein of the same yarn sitting in my stash and it's fuzzing up just by existing. I have no idea what to do with it either; it was a gift from my sister because it's ridiculous and rainbow-colored. Not even sure what the colorway is because I lost the label. Parrot, maybe?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Can we do crochet in here? Because my wife makes awesome stuff and I want to show it off somewhere.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

J.A.B.C. posted:

Can we do crochet in here? Because my wife makes awesome stuff and I want to show it off somewhere.

Join us in the very slow crochet thread! :buddy: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2896097

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I have discovered brioche stitch and now I need to make stylish everything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hello thread!

I have finally learned how to double knit and that you can two it two handed, English+Continental Fair Isle style! This is because I refuse to follow instructions and everyone who insists that something must be difficult just hasn't found the easiest way to do it (and because picking up the yarn every stitch makes me want to kill myself). Does anyone else do it this way?

For some reason, so far my purl stitch has to be the Continental and my knit stitch has to be English, though. The other way around results in this weird striation present in these first two to three stitches. It's a little hard to see but it's really noticeable if I continue on like that through the whole row. I'm still bringing both yarns to front and back.

One thing I noted about double knitting is that there seems to be a stitch wrapping component similar to linen stitch. I wonder if I'm not properly covering up something with a Continental knit and English purl.