Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
My whole life I've always wanted to learn how to knit. I ventured into crotchet a while ago but probably forgot how to do it.

What is the best way to learn how to knit? Are there instructional DVDs, books, or is taking a class better? I love hats and always wanted to learn how to make them, because what I want is usually so hard to find. Hopefully someone here can give me some pointers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

boobookitty posted:

It all depends on what you think works best for you.

I think I'd prefer to learn from someone, but only because I'm so anal and I need to make sure I'm doing everything 100% right and I can't really ask a book how I'm doing. But I'll pick that one up, just in case!

Thanks! I guess I'll look around for a school or class. There has to be a bunch of them in LA.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Knitting/purling into the stitch below! :argh:

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I'm teaching myself to knit. First project was a stocking cap:

I really wanna make another one, but like Schwartz's:

Every year I watch the Christmas Story marathon and I always think to myself "I WANT THAT loving HAT". Now I know how to make it! :D

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I so want a stocking hat but I already have a few dozen handknit hats. :ohdear:

Ha! Hats are the reason why I started knitting. I love hats and wear hats every day of my life. Hats are amazing and the more you have, the better.

Windy posted:

Oh god I want one of those too, but I'm still afraid to knit with more than one color yarn. How hard was the green and white cap to make?

It's SO EASY! Once you're ready for a new color, you just grab a strand of the new color and start knitting with it. Whenever you get to the start of a Right Side row, you just bring the old color up the new row by wrapping it around the new color. So basically what you do is drag the old color up the side of your knitting. But if you're done with the old color, you can just drop it and continue with the new color.

So. Freaking. Easy. There are a LOT of videos on YouTube that show how to do this. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjMcVXXf9ss

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Official Bizness posted:

Seriously, I bought a book intended to make expert knitters out of five year olds and I'm still missing several basic concepts.

I got Knitting for Dummies from the library and it's really good. It covers everything and they explain things very easily. I also refer to YouTube when I'm confused. Don't give up!

I'm so desperate to knit a sweater, but I don't think I'm quite ready yet. But seriously I've spent hours today going through the sweater tags at ravelry. Ugh. Does anyone have an easy sweater pattern for beginners?

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'm just gonna go for it, one step at a time.

I'm also excited cause I'm going home for the holidays, 3 weeks in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. My mom, who sews, assured me we'll be able to find gorgeous yarn really, really cheap in DR. I get the feeling I'm gonna have to buy a separate suitcase just for all the yarn I plan to buy.

Has anyone traveled recently? Are they letting knitting needles on the plane?

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Any Thanksgiving weekend yarn sales?

I went to JoAnns yesterday and they had a few sales, but their selection was tiny and I wasn't crazy about any of the colors. There is another JoAnns in another town, I might drive up there later today. I wonder if Michaels has any sales.

I want to knit a Jayne hat for my friend George for Christmas, but he has a HUGE head. How do I guess at the size?

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
WHY DO I ALWAYS THINK I CAN KNIT ANYTHING IN ONE DAY!!!

Gift for a friend due tomorrow. Party starts at 3. I've known about this for more than 6 months. Initially I thought I'd knit her a sweater, then a pillow, and now it's a blanket. I've had so much free time on my hands to knit it! When did I start it? Yesterday. I've been awake two days now working on this blanket non-stop and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it in time (less than 24 hours to go how the hell am I gonna block it!) My hand looks like a freaking claw.

EVERY. loving. TIME. And yet I don't learn my lesson. Another friend is having a birthday party on the 25th. Have I started working on her sweater? Ha. Ha. Ha.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I can't believe I actually finished the blanket in time.

It was for a friend of mine who recently sold an episode idea for the show Legend of the Seeker. The episode aired yesterday and we had a little party for her to celebrate. She loved it so much. Two days of knitting, non-stop, no sleep, I finally came home last night after the party and passed out for 12 hours.

I'm happy with it, but seriously, I need to stop starting my projects 3 minutes before they're due.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

hollaback grandma posted:

^^This is loving badass and worth every minute put into it. I wish I had friends like you :unsmith:.......:smith:

Awww, thanks. Aww.

madlilnerd posted:

Holy crap, how many stitches across is that thing?!

When you mentioned a blanket, I thought you meant for a sprog, not a double bed.

128 stitches. I honestly didn't think it was gonna come out that big, but I'm glad it did!

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

Charmmi posted:

Put it in your awesome poptab purse!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-pop-tab-purse

I need to make this and save it for when I'm 82 years old and on my 5th cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I only got into this business to make hippie hats, and hippie hats I shall make.

It was so much fun to make and I love the colors. I've been wearing it every day. And I finished it in one night, too! Ravelry link.

Speaking of strange patterns, I eat a lot of apples, yet something tells me I'll never need an apple cozy.