Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

roll you up into my life.
I'm on ravelry as antipop21, I joined the group as well. I've been knitting since November 1st, self taught from books and youtube, then I attended some classes at my LYS. I'm not the best photographer. :(

Here's a bad close-up picture of my first real project
It's the Smariek Knits Pythagorean Scarf.

And here's an iPod cozy I made, I get lots of requests to make this for friends. I did a cable on the back, and it even has a little pocket for the headphones.

Here's the cabled hat for my husband which was a really fun knit.

Right now, I'm working on a basic ribbed Patriots hat for my dad (red and navy blue Paton's wool with a Patriots patch on it), a pair of knitty Monkey socks for my mom, fetchings for myself, and a cabled scarf for my husband, to match the cabled hat I made. The scarf and hat will be lined with white fleece when I get around to it.

Could we make this the yarncraft in general thread? I'm learning to crochet, and I just tried my hand at drop spinning yesterday and would love to show off the results. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fap
Jul 1, 2003

ClearPopcornBags posted:

Also, before I go crazy asking, how do you guys feel about sharing patterns for some of the stuff you've posted pictures of? I would love to know how you knitted the cell phone case OP, as well as a few others that people have posted, like the Ipod case.

Here's the pattern for the ipod case, courtesy of angel_derailed on punk_knitters LiveJournal. Be warned though, there's a small cable on the back of it, which isn't too hard if you give it a try. As for the pocket, I just made a strip in K1P1 ribbing and sewed it on from the back. I also put a simple eyelet button hole on the flap.

By the way, anyone who crochets - would any of you happen to know how to make one of those katamari hats? I can find a knit pattern for it, but I like the style of the crocheted hats better.

I'll take a picture of my first homespun yarn when it dries and the twist sets a little more. It's not very good, but hey, it's my first try! I think I'm going to felt it, to hide the imperfections.

Does anyone here use knitpicks stuff? I just ordered a bunch of yarn and the Harmony Options needles. I can't wait till I get them and never have to buy another needle again, woo!

fap
Jul 1, 2003

I just got my knitpicks options in today, and I love them! They're beautiful and smooth and pretty! I haven't tried them out yet, but I'm casting on a Raisin Beret to try them out. The only thing that bothers me about the Harmony set is there are no sizes printed on the needle. Oh well, I'll just have to get out my needle gauge.

starshaped, I love your friend's rovings and yarn, so I'll be buying some from her in the future.
I took some pictures of my rovings that I have now and the first handspun I did. ]
Here's the Corridale
And the Tussah Silk:

And my first handspun, which I don't really like too much, but hey it was my first time!

It's overspun in some places, and underspun in others. I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

I just got some more Noro in the mail and I'm so happy! Noro is officially my favorite kind of yarn. I got some Silk Garden and some Kureyon. The Silk garden is going to be made into this scarf.

Also anyone have any knitpicks needles? I've got the Harmony Options and I love em! They didn't break the bank (at my LYS, the Boye set was over $100), they're beautiful and easy to use too.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

effika posted:

That is beautiful, I love it!

Ozma posted:

Yeah, that does happen a lot. I inherited a dead relative's yarn stash- my grandmother thought I'd be overjoyed to get it but my reaction was "thanks but no thanks for giving me 3 boxes full of bright red and green acrylic yarn that smell like old ladies.

My well meaning mother in law got me the ugliest Red Heart boucle for a dollar a skein at Wal-mart. A new knitter friend of mine has claimed it for herself (I guess she liked the color), and I'm gladly giving it to her just to get it out of my stash. I am a bit of a yarn snob, just because most acrylics tear up my hands. That's not to say I don't have acrylics though, I've got a huge box of them :)

fap
Jul 1, 2003

I finished my Noro Striped Scarf finally! There's some pictures on my Ravelry page here.
Which leads me to ask - is it possible to knit stripes in something cabled? I want to make a pair of fingerless mitts to match.

I just bought some Lorna's Laces on sale. I need to go on a yarn diet. We won't even talk about the Cascade I bought the other day :(

fap
Jul 1, 2003

Midnight Sun posted:

Yay, another felted bag! And my first attempt on needle felting. Felted the heart on after felting the bag in the washer.

I love it! I tried my hand at needle felting at a local fiber arts festival, but they were doing boring projects to me. (felted easter eggs, anyone?) I like stuff that looks good that I can actually use. And that bag is the cutest felted bag I've ever seen.

I bought some Cascade 220 at a great price at WEBS (also known as yarn.com) 9 hanks at $4.89 a piece! They also have Cascade Superwash on sale. I'm going to do my first sweater project, a Central Park Hoodie.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

I finished a booga bag around a week ago: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/antipop21/booga-bag
I felted it a little bit more after I took the picture. It was my first time felting anything and I was nervous that I'd overfelt it. Is that possible?

Did anyone see the Yarn Harlot on her book tour that just ended? I saw her in Indy and she was great!

fap
Jul 1, 2003

Midnight Sun posted:

I've finally finished my first lace project: Fern and waves in Kauni yarn.

Quite a different experience from knitting with bulky yarn and felting.

Wow, that is so beautiful!

Too bad I can't do lace yet. I'd love to make something classy for my mom.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

Midnight Sun posted:

Why can't you do lace? Just give it a try, you'll be surprised with yourself. :)

My yarn overs aren't right, haha. I'm going to be doing the Swallowtail Shawl as soon as I get some stuff off the needles.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

You do knit nice and straight, especially for your first project. And I want to give your doggies kisses! I still have my first swatch, which was supposed to be a square. It's more like a smiley face and has tons of dropped stitches. Whenever I'm on a difficult pattern, I break out my swatch to remind that I've come a long way. Oh, and it's great to show people who want to learn how to knit, and then show them a current or finished project. I guess I'm just a little crazy :)

Also, I lost my brand new wallet while visiting a yarn store in California, so I'm bummed. It was a pretty nice (and brand new) wallet too. :( I did pick up some Kureyon for a hat, and some Noro Taiyo too. I love the Taiyo (cotton, silk, wool and nylon), it's pretty soft. Has anyone else heard of this yarn, cause it's the first I've seen it.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

I'd also say a drop spindle. I've always wanted one from here: http://www.goldingfibertools.com/ or from here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5207884 Both of them are beautiful. Just don't get her one of those kits that come with fiber, the spindle I got with my kit was total crap. Buy the fiber separably off of etsy. If she needs help figuring out how to spin, send her to youtube for drop spindle video instruction. That's what I did.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

Well, I was going to say Easter Egg dyes do pretty colors, but they don't come in emerald green or black. You could see what you could do with Wilton cake dyes.

Some Easter egg dyes:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Chrisknits/stash/220-wool
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AliceKathryn/stash/220-wool-2

Note: I've never dyed before.

fap
Jul 1, 2003

I broke my yarn diet today - Picked up some Kauni that I've been wanting forever, some Malabrigo, and lots of Kureyon.

Oh man, my husband's going to kill me :(

I'm making a chemo cap for my husband's Grandmother who's going through Chemo with the Malabrigo, so it wasn't a total spendfest. (Most of it was, though)

Edit: anyone doing the Ravelympics? I signed up for the Hat Dash, and I don't know if I can do it. (I'm a very slow knitter.)

fap fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 5, 2008

fap
Jul 1, 2003

knittedsister posted:

You could do the ribbing on smaller needles or fewer stitches. Of course, I hate ripping out my knitting, so the elastic might be your solution this time.

My latest-a hat made of my handspun. The pattern is Coronet.

After frogging Koolhaas twice, and not getting past the first non ribbed row in two days, I decided to do this as a chemo cap. Thank you, thank you. I was pulling out my hair trying to do cabling without a cable needle. I tried it with a cable needle, and couldn't read the knitting, so I kept getting lost. I guess I like bigger cables. I'm not giving up on the Koolhaas forever though.

My coronet is in Malabrigo Alpine Pearl. It's very pretty. I got my yarn in the mail yesterday and I have to say it's the prettiest yarn I've ever seen. Especially the Kauni. I got the rainbow. :) And I also think I'm over my head again wanting to do this for my first lace project. But you never know until you try (and then promptly pull your hair out.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fap
Jul 1, 2003

knittedsister posted:

I'd like to do a Koolhaas someday. That's a lot of cables to track. I tried doing cables without a cable needle and I dropped stitches. It's just not worth it. I stalked you on Ravelry and I think I found your Alpine Pearl hat (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/purple1cow/coronet?). It's lovely.
You should definitely go for the northern lights. It looks like a fairly simple pattern with a lot of impact.

This is me.
I haven't gone very far on the coronet, things are a little crazy right now. And I know I'm not going to be able to do the three hats I pledged for Ravelympics. Oh well.