Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004
I want to compose and decompose.
I just joined the Ravelry group! I'm so addicted to that site, it's not even funny...

I posted some of these in the other thread, but here's some knitted stuff:
Fox wrap, kind of loosely based on the Vegan Fox from Knitty, made from Lion Brand Chenille Thick&Quick, Lion Brand Fun Fur, and Bernat Boa

A kind of steampunk-ish sweater I made for class, with Jamieson's DK shetland wool.

The winter scarf I just finished, it needs blocking but I love it a lot

One of my friends loves internet memes, so I'll be knitting this cat until I run out of yarn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004
For those of you who like felting, what yarns do you like best for it? I have a couple felted projects in mind... I want to make a messenger bag, which would need a pretty sturdy stiff fabric, and I also want to make a shibori felted trapeze dress, which I'd imagine would need something a little more lightweight. I've done felting before with Manos del Uruguay and Brown Sheep Worsted, and the fabric I got with the Manos is pretty much what I had in mind for the dress. But it's kind of expensive and I'd have to buy so much :( I really want to use Brown Sheep for the bag, but I've yet to find a yarn shop near me that carries it.

What yarns have you used, and how did the fabric turn out?

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004
I use 100% wool yarn or animal fiber blends most of the time, but if I'm going to get an acrylic I get Red Heart. I just really like the way it looks worked up, even more so than most of the 'nice' acrylics. So I guess I'm not a yarn snob.

Of course, even if I didn't like Red Heart I don't think I'd be a yarn snob either, because I don't run around casting aspersions on people who like yarns that I hate. I was -really- suprised that so many people like Caron Simply Soft, for example -- when I worked with it every skein was full of knots and it pilled before it even got on the needles. But I'm not going to begrudge it to the people who do like it just because I think it's awful.

Here is a hat I made the other day out of Red Heart (It didn't fit on my giant head, so I gave it to my roommate):

And I am making one of the same design for my boyfriend in Rowan Felted Tweed and Nashua Creative Focus Worsted

Alpaca anklewarmers for my friend's birthday -- they were the warmest thing ever and so hard to give away.

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004

ackapoo posted:

May I ask where you got the pattern or where I could find a pattern of my own? I am in love with that hat! (Heh, sorry, I am a sucker for houndstooth...)

I should probably post something soon. I'm not that great at knitting (and I'm the slowest person alive when it comes to knitting) but I have knitted some HP scarves for my sister and me.

I just kind of made it up as I went along. I'm writing out a pattern for the grey and black version (thinner yarns, smaller needles) but the houndstooth pattern itself is just a repeat over four stitches and four rows:

Row 1: *K1 color A, k1 color B, k2 color A*
Row 2: *k1 color A, k3 color B*
Row 3: *k3 color B, k1 color A*
row 4: *k2 color A, k1 color B, k1 color A*

This is for working it in the round, so in the flat you would of course want to purl rows 2 and 4.

I love houndstooth too, so I'll probably be putting this pattern on everything possible. I kind of want to knit up a houndstooth pencil skirt in black and yellow, but I'm not sure if this would be awesome or ridiculous...

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004

Drei posted:

Eeee! Those are so cute and I love the buttons! Do you have a pattern for them?

It's basically a trapezoid shape in a 4x2 rib. I just figured out how much width I needed at the bottom for the cast on and at the top for the bind off, and decreased a stitch every other row on either side until I got there. The buttonholes were yarnovers because I think they're the easiest, but if your buttons won't fit through a yo there's lots of different ways to make a buttonhole.

I'd write a proper pattern if I had any idea what yarn I used, but I forgot when and where I bought it and it didn't have a label.

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004

Shnooks posted:

The pattern is Le Slouche(pdf) by Knit and Tonic. It's a super easy pattern that can be changed around and altered for any type of stitch or yarn.

I used Lions Brand Jiffy for it, which is surprisingly soft :3:. It's a much more deeper goldenrod color but it's pretty funky. I'm going to find a big round wooden button for it.

The only thing I'd suggest is stitching some elastic around the bottom of it when you're done so the hat doesn't slide off. It could just be my tiny head though.

I'm on Ravelry too as Shnooks! Anyone else on Ravelry?

A bunch of us are -- I'm knitterrobot there. We have a group, too... look up Show me your Knits. :D

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004

Midnight Sun posted:

Now I have an idea for a 1-up mushroom messenger bag. I've kinda written a pattern that I think will work, but hey, I usually make things up as I go along anyway. This will be the pattern on the lid, and I think I'll felt it:

Yay mushroom! :dance:

It's cute! Knitting stitches are not square, though, so your mushroom won't come out in the same proportions as it will on the chart. Here is a site that will generate graph paper in whatever gauge you want, so you can know exactly how your chart will look when you knit it.

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004

MallcoreMotion posted:

Would it be easy to do on circulars?

Intarsia cannot be done in the round, because when you finish one row the working end of your contrast color yarn is on the opposite side you started on. You'd need to either cut the yarn and weave in a billion ends afterward, or switch colors in the middle of the row with a Russian Join.

If you're talking about knitting in the flat and turning after every row, though, you can do that on a circular needle the same way you do it on regular ones. I'd definitely use a circular for a blanket knit in the flat, because having all that weight hanging to one side off of regular needles = instant back, shoulder, neck, and arm pain. On a circ, everything just sits nicely in your lap, and you don't have to worry about it falling off the needles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004

Midnight Sun posted:

The messenger bag is finished. Any tips about cleaning up the black fuzz on the white parts?

Niiifty. :D If a lint roller doesn't work, try shaving it with a razor.

Machinegirl -- awesome socks!