Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starshaped
Oct 13, 2004
Here's some of the stuff I knit last year.

1. Cascading Leaves Shawl

A local friend of mine made up the pattern and I knit this for my mother in law for Christmas using Koigu. I love knitting with the stuff.

2. Pomatomus

This is a pattern from Knitty I love, knit with ArtYarns Ultramerino. I love the colors, I love how the socks feel, and I'd knit this pattern again.

3. Mystery Stole 2/Scheherazade

My first foray into lace knitting, I love how this turned out, but it's way, way too big for me and I'm not really a stole person anyway. Still, I love knitting lace! I used Knit Picks Shadow for this project.

4. My So-Called Scarf

I wanted to use up some Noro Kureyon I had lying around my house, so I knit this simple little scarf. I don't think I'll use this yarn again for anything unless it's for a felted project, because I don't really like the feel of it much.

I'm glad to see this thread here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starshaped
Oct 13, 2004

deety posted:

Those pictures are really impressive! Kureyon is too drat scratchy, and washing it only helped a little for me. But if you love the look then try Silk Garden. It's got a similar look and those great Noro color schemes, but feels much better.

Thanks! I really do need to try Silk Garden sometime because I've heard a lot of good things about it. I love your cell phone cozy; I need to make one for my ipod sometime but that requires finding yarn I want to use, and I'm trying to use up what I have now before I buy any more.

effika, I love the garterlac dishcloth, but I've never been able to do one myself. Entrelac still confuses me; I need to just sit down and try it again until I get it right. Maybe that will be the next thing I work on.

Cathis, I've been knitting for about 5 years, but I didn't start doing anything more than basic hats and scarves until about 3 years ago. I also didn't knit a lot my first year, so I'd say you can pick up on things if you just keep at it consistently.

Anyone else a backwards lefty knitter like me? It's a pain sometimes because I can't really show my friends how to knit if they ever want to learn. It made learning interesting...

starshaped
Oct 13, 2004
Black Huntress, the pattern isn't as difficult as it looks; I remember my eyes crossing when I first started, but it's easy to pick up after a few rounds. I absolutely love knitting on smaller needles, and 2s aren't that much smaller than 4s so I don't think you'd have a problem. Anyway, even if you have to rip things out a few times when you start, it's all just practice anyway!

I love the wavy scarf and the color of the yarn you used.

starshaped
Oct 13, 2004
Antis0ciald0rk, I love your stuff! Cables rock.

Midnight Sun, that checkered felted bag kicks rear end! I love the colors you used.

I started that garterlac dishcloth yesterday after reading this thread, and so far, so good! I've gotten farther than I ever have before.

Glad to see more spinners! I started off on a spindle back in 2004 but didn't really get the hang of it until sometime in 2006. I bought a wheel, an Ashford Traditional, in 2007 sometime and I've spun mainly fingering weight yarn with it.

My wheel. I bought it from a woman in town who restores wheels, so I got this one for a good price. I love this thing.

400ish yards of 100% superwash wool I gave to my mom for Christmas. A friend of mine dyed it.

Another 400ish yards of some unidentified roving I got from a friend after I bought my wheel. It's pretty scratchy but I love the colors.

starshaped
Oct 13, 2004
I actually don't have an etsy store mainly because I tend to be a little on the slow side when it comes to spinning. I haven't spun in a few months because of general holiday busy-ness, but I'm hoping to sit down again and spin some more stuff. Maybe I'll try selling stuff down the road. I'd love to get into dying my own roving and/or yarn, but time, yeah, I don't have a lot of it. Thanks for all the compliments! :D

My friend's etsy shop is here, though: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5023853 She's been spinning a ton longer than me and dyes her own stuff too, and she's pretty good. I tend to buy most of my roving from her.

My very first spindle was one I bought from Annie May as well; I had a difficult time spinning on a bottom whorl for some reason, maybe because I hadn't ever seen anyone spindle spin before and had no idea what I was doing. I bought a top whorl a year or so later and had much better results with it.