Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008
I'm working on cleaning up an old traffic signal my Dad had from his days installing traffic signals a long long time ago. It's in decent shape I think and he had wired it to plug into a normal 110 outlet, but it has a manual 3-way switch on the back to control the lights and being a huge goon I really want to rewire it to be controlled with a raspberry pi so I can turn the lights on/off through a webpage. The problem is I'm not knowledgable at all when it comes to electrial wiring and my Dad isn't around anymore to give me some direction. Anyone know of any good places to start reading up on basic wiring/electric work? I found this guy's blog about getting it hooked up to the RasPi, so I'm probably good on that front aside from figuring out how to hook up the relay and make sure I don't burn my house down.

Also, anyone have any ideas on how to clean up the middle and bottom sections? They are a little scuffed up, but they have a brushed aluminum texture and I'm pretty sure taking a dremel to it with a wire brush will just ruin the texture.

Pic for your trouble, already kinda tore it apart a bit, but it has all the lenses and hoods, they are just dirty from being stored in the garage.

Tev fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

First Time Caller posted:

My wife misses the bus all the time because she has to check her phone over and over again for bus warnings and updates. I wanted to build a simple display that we can put on the coffee table that will just tell her when the next bus comes.

Here's the prototype.

Arduino UNO communicating with an ESP8266-01 over a logic level converter that queries the NextBus API and sends the number of minutes to a couple shift registers powering two 7 segment displays.

I'd actually thought about doing something like this with some small screen that would display my citie's mobile page for our stop but that's way cooler.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I'd actually thought about doing something like this with some small screen that would display my citie's mobile page for our stop but that's way cooler.

http://github.com/chrisgillis/nextbusclock

Here's all the source code and design. I'm working on V2 right now with an ESP-12 that should drastically simplify the circuit, the code, reduce the current draw, and reduce the footprint of the PCB to around 2"x2" or less.

Considering changing from 7 segment to backlit LCD because of current draw (have to multiplex both displays so that one segment powered at a time right now) and for the ability to do something more like what you're displaying for rapid transit users where multiple routes stop at a particular location and you can take several of them. (the ability to display the route name + the time and scroll through several would be very useful).

ALso considering building in a switch for BART vs MUNI.

V2 will also have a webserver you can connect to, so that you're able to configure the stops / locations you want displayed.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 31, 2016

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Working in a stone shop has its perks.
I replaced a molded vanity top with a Grigio carnico marble top. It's stone that's been sitting in my shop for about 15 years. I had a bowl left over from a prior job and reused the old faucet.

So no cost other than a couple of hours of my time.
This picture is from before i set the bowl, that's why you can still see the rim.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 1, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Working in a stone shop has its perks.
I replaced a molded vanity top with a Grigio carnico marble top. It's stone that's been sitting in my shop for about 15 years. I had a bowl left over from a prior job and reused the old faucet.

So no cost other than a couple of hours of my time.
This picture is from before i set the bowl, that's why you can still see the rim.

That reminds me: I'm looking for some nice countertop for some cabinets going into my wife's office, but the square footage we need is too small for most places to want to actually do something custom, only need about 9 square feet of something nice like a dark quartz or something. So we're looking at hitting up some countertop boneyards. Any tips on finding/working with such a place, since it sounds like you might have insider knowledge?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Tev posted:

I'm working on cleaning up an old traffic signal my Dad had from his days installing traffic signals a long long time ago. It's in decent shape I think and he had wired it to plug into a normal 110 outlet, but it has a manual 3-way switch on the back to control the lights and being a huge goon I really want to rewire it to be controlled with a raspberry pi so I can turn the lights on/off through a webpage. The problem is I'm not knowledgable at all when it comes to electrial wiring and my Dad isn't around anymore to give me some direction. Anyone know of any good places to start reading up on basic wiring/electric work? I found this guy's blog about getting it hooked up to the RasPi, so I'm probably good on that front aside from figuring out how to hook up the relay and make sure I don't burn my house down.

Also, anyone have any ideas on how to clean up the middle and bottom sections? They are a little scuffed up, but they have a brushed aluminum texture and I'm pretty sure taking a dremel to it with a wire brush will just ruin the texture.

Pic for your trouble, already kinda tore it apart a bit, but it has all the lenses and hoods, they are just dirty from being stored in the garage.

Another option to consider is using an esp8266 board. It's a control board with built in wifi that runs the arduino IDE. It could easily run this over a webpage on your local wifi If you use an MQTT system you could even control the lights over the Internet. There's a few instructables on it http://www.instructables.com/howto/Esp8266+switch/

The best thing is the controller is less than tenbux

I just finished a project using an esp8266 to control a henhouse door using a phone app if anyone's interested.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Another option to consider is using an esp8266 board. It's a control board with built in wifi that runs the arduino IDE. It could easily run this over a webpage on your local wifi If you use an MQTT system you could even control the lights over the Internet. There's a few instructables on it http://www.instructables.com/howto/Esp8266+switch/

The best thing is the controller is less than tenbux

I just finished a project using an esp8266 to control a henhouse door using a phone app if anyone's interested.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I always thought it would be cool to use a crossover somehow hooked up between your audio source and speakers, controlling a a traffic light, so that the bass/mid/treble controls the different lights.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bad Munki posted:

That reminds me: I'm looking for some nice countertop for some cabinets going into my wife's office, but the square footage we need is too small for most places to want to actually do something custom, only need about 9 square feet of something nice like a dark quartz or something. So we're looking at hitting up some countertop boneyards. Any tips on finding/working with such a place, since it sounds like you might have insider knowledge?

I would say your best bet is to find a place that deals with the public (we only deal with general contractors, it saves us a lot of headaches), and ask them if they'd let you take a look through their remnants for a countertop.

The easier you make it for them, the cheaper it will be for you. Don't go in expecting to find a specific stone, go in there looking for something you like. Have your confirmed dimensions already, so they don't have to measure them, and assuming it's a top about 4' long by 2'6 wide, try and pick it up and install yourself.

The caveat to this is that we don't deal with the public so I can't say for certain, but that's exactly what I'd like to see if we did. Basically you'd be giving them a little bit of shop work with almost no hassle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tev posted:

I'm working on cleaning up an old traffic signal my Dad had from his days installing traffic signals a long long time ago.

Did you post about this in another thread, maybe a long time ago? In any case it's a neat project.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Rotten Cookies posted:

I always thought it would be cool to use a crossover somehow hooked up between your audio source and speakers, controlling a a traffic light, so that the bass/mid/treble controls the different lights.

This is called a light organ

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

gently caress. That's cool. I figured someone had to have already done it. I didn't know they had a name.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

You sure your dad didn't just steal those? Because the signs are there.

:haw:

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

wormil posted:

Did you post about this in another thread, maybe a long time ago? In any case it's a neat project.

I don't think I've posted about it anywhere, I've had it for a few years hoping to fix it up at some point though.

Trabant posted:

You sure your dad didn't just steal those? Because the signs are there.

:haw:

LOL. He worked as an electrician foreman for a company installing them many years ago, we had a couple of them in our family from the time he worked there, but yeah how *exactly* they were acquired we'll never know.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tev posted:

This is very easy to do if you grab a relay board and follow a tutorial like this.

There is an arduino thread that can probably help.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Now in PCB form!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

loving rad dude

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

First Time Caller posted:

Now in PCB form!

I know the spaced out board is more expensive, but it really does look clean and neat

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Cumslut1895 posted:

I know the spaced out board is more expensive, but it really does look clean and neat

It's not even that spaced out for THT stuff.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

TTerrible posted:

This is very easy to do if you grab a relay board and follow a tutorial like this.

There is an arduino thread that can probably help.

It did end up being really easy, all the electrical and raspi wiring was cake. However, the python script to control the lights running in the browser is pretty much the hardest thing ever. Still haven't figured it out, but I can still turn the lights on/off with my phone by cheating and using SSH. Close enough. Cleaned up pretty nice too. Anyways, here it is all lit up.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tev posted:

It did end up being really easy, all the electrical and raspi wiring was cake. However, the python script to control the lights running in the browser is pretty much the hardest thing ever. Still haven't figured it out, but I can still turn the lights on/off with my phone by cheating and using SSH. Close enough. Cleaned up pretty nice too. Anyways, here it is all lit up.

Do you have the code online? I can look at it.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

TTerrible posted:

Do you have the code online? I can look at it.

Nah, it's something to do with the GPIO pins not being accessible by Apache's user, www-data. Not worth the trouble. Thank you for the offer though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tev posted:

Nah, it's something to do with the GPIO pins not being accessible by Apache's user, www-data. Not worth the trouble. Thank you for the offer though.

No worries! It looks awesome, nice job.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tev posted:

You could set up a local service that the Apache user can communicate with. Have a script running (as a user that can access GPIO pins) that listens on port 31337 or something, and the Apache user should be able to connect to localhost:31337 and send messages to that script.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
My neighbors were throwing this bench away so I decided to steal it out of their trash and give it a brief makeover. Whole thing cost about $15, mostly for new galvanized bolts.

All the bolts were rusted on so I had to grind them all off.

Took it all apart and sanded everything down.

Painted the ironwork and stained and varnished the slats.

Looks like new.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Very nice restoration on the bench.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a project. Bought a house, had an unfinished pole barn on the lot:

I want to make it my shop. So I had a slab put in. Cost plenty, but the work is top notch.

I also had some extra slab put off the side, the full 32' length of the barn (plus the 4' footer out front) and 10' wide, going to put a lean-to roof on it and use it for toy storage, welding, etc.

Next up is electric and a door on that open bay. I'm also going to put some braces and flooring across the rafters, that's 7' of open attic height up there that will make for some sweet storage.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That is gonna be amazing when it's done. I'm pretty jealous.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A shop like this has been about 15 years in the making. We had finally decided that I would get to build one at our next place, and then this showed up with the structure already in place. Could have been placed a hell of a lot more intelligently, but it'll do.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I'm jealous, you suck.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

A shop like this has been about 15 years in the making. We had finally decided that I would get to build one at our next place, and then this showed up with the structure already in place. Could have been placed a hell of a lot more intelligently, but it'll do.
Just to troll the thread, I hope you leave it completely empty save a lathe in the middle, and just turn pen blanks for the rest of your life.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Slugworth posted:

Just to troll the thread, I hope you leave it completely empty save a lathe in the middle, and just turn pen blanks for the rest of your life.

If he does this, I have a miniature lathe that's perfect for pen turning that I'd be happy to sell for a great price!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm building a bass guitar kit at the moment. It's the second kit I have on the go, and the second I've built. Neither are finished yet.

This one came with a fretted neck and I've converted it to fretless by pulling the fret wires out, filling the gaps, and using CA glue to make smooth hard surface. I hosed it up about 5 times along the way, but the fretboard's done and polished up to a glassy awesome finish.

The neck and body are about 70-80% through the staining and finishing process. The body is ash, and I filled the grain with ebony Timbermate filler before staining. The stain is Walnut and Japan Black stain mixed about 90/10. I'd never worked with oil stains before, but I'm pretty happy with the result. The semi-gloss finish is Tru Oil, which is apparently a gun stock varnish but it doing a great job (gradually) making a slightly amber tinted top coat.

Pictured after 10 coats of Tru Oil:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Slugworth posted:

Shop is now 100% operational!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Get a hook or something for it God drat what a loving mess

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Wow, this is going to look badass.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Love the stain on the body. Why did you seal the fretboard? Just for looks?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The usual advice that I found around the internet (which I've followed because I have no idea what I'm doing) is to seal the fretboard because of some combination of "protects it", "feels nicer", and "looks cool". I'm not sure about needing to protect it beyond the usual wax etc, but the other two reasons were good enough for me.

Having finished doing it, I'd add the following reasons for this particular neck*: The large inlays were very slightly recessed even after sanding the whole thing carefully, and I couldn't think how to fix them. Also there was a small amount of tear-out around each fret slot which I couldn't otherwise fill in a way that didn't look completely ugly. Also the filler I used for the fret slots needed something over it anyway.

Plus I really wanted to try doing it.

*Some of this stuff could probably be solved in a different way. My knowledge of woodwork and finishing has all been gained in the last few months as I learn each aspect of building these things as I come to it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bass strings will tear up a raw wood fretless fretboard. There's also tone issues a harder coating will provide a brighter attack. I have a fretless neck with an ebonol fretboard so I didn't need to do any sort of coating to protect it. It was super shiny like yours is now but after a few sessions that wears away as the strings vibrate against it. Even flatwounds will wear on the board a bit.
I have mine strung with round wounds because I prefer that particular tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

AlphaDog posted:

Pretty bass guitar

That fretboard is something to be proud of, the gloss is out of this world. Natural finish bodies are hot. I love this project.