Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I picked up a parts bike for my bamboo bike earlier this week, then the day before I went to go harvest bamboo, it rained more than it had in the previous three months combined >:( Supposedly you need to wait at least a week (closer to a month) after the last rain to minimize the existing water content and chances it will split/crack when you cure it.

Those are great resources, especially the instructible of the asian guy who made the bamboo fixie. He has a link to a really smart, simple jig which can just be bolted together. In the comments of that, someone links to a serviceable version made from 2x4"s

From what I can tell, the two hardest parts are 1) getting that nice, smooth "calfree" style joint and 2) getting enough clearance for a 36x700c tire.

The calfree style joint just looks like they sanded down the hemp fiber composite smooth and then added an additional "clear coat"... As for the rear wheel clearance issue, that seems a little scary, unless you find some particularly curved bamboo specimens. What size wheel are you using and how are your clearances? Did you have any problems fitting the wheel/bamboo? It seems that you can get some extra clearance by canting your seat tube at a pretty drastic angle, but then you need an oversize hemp blob at the top to distribute the additional leverage that creates on the frame. Also I guess you can make the bottom bracket lower than the centerline of the wheel, but that might look a little wonky, plus you run in to pedal strike issues.

edit: this is the stuff calfree uses, supposedly: http://www.entropyresins.com/products/super-sap-clr

How many ounces of epoxy did you end up using for your bicycle project?

Hadlock where are you harvesting the bamboo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hadlock posted:

That bamboo bike is coming along great! I can't wait to see how your joints end up. Are you going to use hemp, CF or other?

Ropes - there's a huge grove of the stuff that acts as a privacy wall on the Katy Trail between the trail and the mansions on the other side of it just north of Blackburn St. I'm not a huge fan of harvesting things out of parks, but there's at least a quarter mile of bamboo 15-20 feet deep in all sizes, so a few poles won't go missing for a single project.

Nice, guess its time to go for a walk on the Katy trail

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

So is there anyway to fix this short of ripping it out and starting over?

That's a baller 1970's light green solid as a rock and the tub is cast iron or steel. I would like to save it if possible but it's the only large project in the new digs.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Haha I am going to wait and see what the quote to refinish the bathtub and sinks costs. If its unreasonable I will think about gutting it. Tile is solid I hope the bathtub refinishing place can do something.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

So..

Should (can) I sand the gloss off, fill the gaps and paint the wood covered walls, or rip it out and put up sheet rock?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

That's all natural light in the photo. The paneling isn't terrible, but its basically square sheets of plywood. The the wall begin me is all brick around the fireplace. Maybe it will grow on me.

This room is #4 on the list as I have to level the basement floor - shag carpet on an uneven floor ugh. Dig up a ton of mismanaged evergreens in the yard, and then there is the green bathroom...

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 9, 2013

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

With the addition of a wrought iron fence the yard is now weenie and coon dog proof.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Slat top bench for the front porch. Next project is repurposing two crates into end tables.

Edit: this was an quick and easy project that my wife and I finished in less than a day with a borrowed chop saw and one trip to home depot. I should have spent more time looking for free wood to repurpose but we wanted to get busy. I highly encourage everyone who likes it to give it a shot..

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 4, 2013

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Piearesquared posted:

This is beautiful. Do you have a general plan or DIY for this? I would love to make one. It looks simple but sturdy enough to survive a beating.

Thank you, we love how well it turned out.

http://ana-white.com/2013/05/plans/modern-slat-top-outdoor-wood-bench-0

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I need a king bed frame and was thinking of building one from pipe. I would add a footboard and cross vertical rails on the head board. Has anyone tried this before?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Two recycled crates and some wood from a gate we replaced. When I decide the base is staying I will oil them.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Hahaha, that thing is ghetto as gently caress. I love it.

That should the the title of this thread

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Im That One Guy posted:

So an update on my loom project! I got the heddle system setup and I finally started weaving!
I'm using a weave pattern that I made with some weave drafting software.

Do you have a video of thing weaving?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Making blocks for my granddaughter out of scrap wood. I think I am at a standstill until I drop some coin on a disc sander later today or tomorrow. Since I am cheap they will probably be hand sanded. Dying them with food coloring and alcohol.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

WOuldn't it be worth giving them a food-safe varnish or lacquer afterwards?

Good question- wish I had an answer but hand sanding fifty million blocks has driven me mad.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Blocks are complete, next up a rocking cow or rocking elephant

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thinking about building one of these, has anyone completed such a glorious project?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Stavrogin posted:

Sideboard for a customer I just finished, made from white oak beams I salvaged from a 1750s farmhouse.

That is beautiful, stop by and help me with my trailer build anytime!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

There are a number of plans and build logs around if you search for "teardrop trailers."

A lot of them are built on top of cheap Harbor Freight trailers, which come with the legal paperwork to easily license them.

Plans ordered from li'l bear trailers, frame material and an axle will be ordered as soon as I figure out which axle length I need.

We are building a 5'x10' which will allow some storage and a full queen sized mattress for a bed.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Make a thread. These are super hot on the 'Vintage' scene here in the UK, I've been looking into building them bespoke with a friend. Where we live there are a lot of marine upholsterers as well as old boat yards to reclaim portholes and such from.

What no goon hook up for the Americans who need portholes?

I will post a build thread and you should start building them, they sell fairly well here in the US based on my google skills.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I visit this place in Galveston whenever I'm down there, just because it's so awesome to look at all the cool stuff they have. I bet they'd be happy to ship if you're not nearby enough to visit:

http://www.piecesofship.com/

They even have a section on the site for portholes.

That link is going to cost me money. Thank you :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Five gallon bucket or big planter and some concrete = portable cat tree

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

A five-foot-tall post in a bucket of concrete is still going to be knocked over super easily, especially with any sort of arms sticking off to the side, it just doesn't have the needed footprint.

Comedy option: Bucket of cement as suggested, but mount the pole to the cement on a stiff spring. The post might go down, but it'll pop right back up and possibly launch cats.

True that was a dumb suggestion. Flying cats is solidly in the wrong sort of funny ;)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I meant my five gallon bucket idea sucked.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've got an oddball question for y'all:

I'm working on these right now:

I'm basically done with the shaping, but I'm having a hell of a time finding hinges for the temples. I don't want to start the final sanding and finishing until I've found my hinges, so I'm kinda in a holding pattern. I've tried googling everything I can think of for search terms, scoured Amazon and eBay, and I've come up with nothing. The only online potential source I've found is a Chinese website that sells them in a minimum of 15 pairs, and wants $30 for shipping.

My options right now are:

1. Eat the cost and order the Chinese hinges. This will likely be the highest quality option but very expensive.

2. Order the tiniest hinges available on McMaster Carr. There is one around the size I want, but it doesn't come with mounting holes and there's no guarantee it'll be a nice tight hinge.

3. Strip the hinges off of an existing pair of sunglasses. This seems viable at a glance, but often the hinges aren't screwed to the frame, they're welded/soldered or are embedded in plastic.

4. Try to find some spare parts at a local eyeglass shop. I've tried a couple places so far and haven't had any luck.

5. Make something. I might give this a shot but there's so little space to cram hinges in anything I can think of to make easily will be too flimsy.

Any suggestions?

Boiling water might help strip hinges from an old pair of glasses

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Stavrogin posted:

My son's gonna be an oak knight for Halloween.

You are setting the bar for fathers pretty high, awesome!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Locator posted:

My helper* had a cutter for the laminate - it was basically a supersized paper-cutter type thing, stick the laminate in and mash down on the handle, and it cut it off clean. The sliding saw was only used for the lengthwise cuts and then for doing odd cut outs for corners and things.

*in reality I was his helper, he knew what he was up to so I mostly tried to make sure he had what he needed and stay the hell out of his way.

Today I built (assembled) a new workbench (from Harbor Freight), cleaned off the old workbench and moved it into the room, then started moving crap in. I still have another table full of stuff I need to figure out where to put, and I had all of this stacked on and around the single bench in my office/library before!

After my wallet recovers I'm going to make some cabinets along the wall to the right in this picture, and make a painting station to the left of the workbench's, and put in a bookshelf on the wall out of frame to the left.

How is the quality of those work benches from HF?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Locator posted:

Pretty much impossible to beat for the price. The drawer fitment isn't great, and the wood has defects here and there, but it's a hobby bench. To get a similar bench without the small flaws that nobody who isn't doing the assembly will probably notice, would cost $400+, whereas if you buy the HF ones on sale and use the 20% off code they can be delivered to your door for $130-$140. You can also get the exact same benches on Amazon - look for 'Windsor Designs 60" workbench'.

http://www.amazon.com/60-Hardwood-Workbench-4-Drawers/dp/B005U4W09U/?ie=UTF8&qid=1420210792&sr=8-2&keywords=windsor+designs+60%22

Notice that you have to really be careful buying these on Amazon, as some of them have outrageous shipping.

I might swing by HF tmr and see if I can pick one up. Thanks!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Trabant posted:

Go for it! The majority of the build is straightforward, but the actual bulb/socket connection to the reducer can be a pain. It took me several attempts to come up with a design. I'll share it here if you want me to, just need to draw it up.

Draw it

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

Right now not enough. I mean it wouldn't fall over, but it can tip slightly if you put weight on the corner that is floating which isn't safe enough for me. I need to add some wood underneath so it "clamps" the sides of the crib and make it secure (hopefully). If this is not enough (I'm pretty much 100% certain it will be enough since it's already quite secure and there's barely anything holding it) I'll either add two strap to clip it to the side of the crib or add a retracting leg for the floating corner.

If I had a "normal" crib with rails of the same height on every side it would have been much easier to make since I could just go over both rails. Unfortunately I had to find some solution to deal with the shape of that crib.

Screw and glue it to the side of the crib

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

New lights so I can read on the couch , ignore the twenty dog blankets

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

Your lights look perfectly aligned, is it a massive pain in the rear end to adjust for the slanted ceiling ?

I think the color you chose livens the area a whole lot.

I adjusted them by tying a knot in the cord in the ceiling mount. To ensure they were aligned I marked a spot on the ladder. It was a fairly easy project...

Now comes the basement

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

froward posted:

Not my project, but I have to share these pictures with someone, because: if you need an excuse to get into aluminum smelting & casting, THIS WOULD DO

more at https://imgur.com/gallery/e9tzU
recall that aluminum melts at only 900f and you can melt it with a propane cooker.

I love these...

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Pergola, lights and two dogs. Next I need to hide the electrical box and air conditioner. I know it's a tract house but it was all there was available in bfe Kansas.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Motronic posted:

It looks nice but I still don't get the point of a pergola over a patio. It doesn't seem to provide enough shade to be useful. I'm probably missing something obvious, unless it really is just there to look nice.

Although....with the lights hung on it like you did it seems a lot more functional than most I've seen.

My wife wanted it - I will likely end up putting sunshade panels or some version of a sliding shade cloth over the top.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Walked posted:

Spent last weekend getting started on a basement finishing job in our home.

So far so good; but in the middle of total analysis paralysis whether to sheetrock the ceiling or drop ceiling.

Related questions because I am in AP over starting my basement build. What insulation did you put up on the walls? Are the 2x4s on the ground treated? And are they against the insulation ?

Drop ceiling - I can't wrap my head around the painted joists looking good.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Walked posted:

Wrapped up framing (soffits, minor other things like furring out the bulkhead, etc)
Old lighting removed, recessed lighting and outlet circuits installed.
Also opened up the staircase.

Onto drywall. And holy gently caress it is unreasonably expensive just in labor alone. But still cheaper than contracting out the full basement job.

I spent the weekend insulating the rim joists in our basement. Ordering insofast panels and electrical components this week.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Walked posted:

Those look pretty cool; insulation was annoying to cut and get installed because it left a lot of weird dust around.

Electrical wasnt too bad; but I ran all my outlets on 20amp circuits so all 12gauge wire = annoying.

My lights will be 14/2 but aren't outlets supposed to be 12/2?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Walked posted:

Drywall well underway.

Now currently freaking out about how to get this floor within tolerances to lay vinyl plank

I am considering the same vinyl plank, do you have them in hand? I am curious for a real life review...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Welp the basement is getting finished -
600 pounds of insofast panels have arrived.