Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
In a few hours one weekend I whipped up a rough saw horse ($10 of pine and scrap wood):

...so I had something to clamp to when the MDF dust went flying here there and everywhere else..

as slowly but surely I work on my MAME cabinet.

And while there's been a few times when I've wanted to shoot the computer side of things (Windows installs, faulty capacitors on the board I'm using, Ps2 failing then usb devices not being recognised :bang:) I've been loving getting into the shed and working on it when I can. My brother has offered to design up some vinyl graphics for the sides and marquee and I've still got to order in the controls (going for some LED chrome buttons) but it's something I've always wanted to attempt since discovering MAME years ago and with a shed full of power tools, it's slowly coming alive.
Budget wise it's been pretty good too - a lot of recycling various things at home and work, the MDF was 10 bucks a sheet for 18mm, I found a BenQ 22 inch monitor which sits in the gap nicely for just $25 etc.

Cheap and relatively stable, lets do this :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Before:

I don't even fuckin' know. And the strike on the door was still juuuuust almost too low to drop in there.

Oh god. This brought back memories of my old house. The battered and too low too strike plate just barely covered up an absolute mess behind, like they tried to create a hole by firing bullets into the wood..

Great job on the fix by the way!

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

I finished restoring a bench that my father in law gave us this weekend.

I had the metal parts powder coated and used 4/4 sapele with marine grade spar finish for the wood. It turned out pretty nicely.

The biggest pain in the rear end was that the holes are not evenly spaced from the edge, so each piece had to be laid into place, marked, then drilled out.

I marked all of the pieces with a number in the back so when I have to refinish in a couple years, I won't have any issues with figuring out what pieces go where.

I have one just like this that I saved from a rotting death in the depths of my mum's garden. I bought some new wood and pre-drilled all the holes to the same spot, not realising that the holes in the metal weren't exactly lined up the best to start with.

It was no wonder my dad wanted to set fire to it when he built it from the kit back in the 80s. Half an hour in to putting the new slats on I was ready to reach for the matches..

It's still standing though so that's a thing..

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

Someone at work asked if I could make dice. Never have before but gave it a go.

They look awesome!

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Yay, love Mame builds! Since I don't have the garage space in my current rental currently (and can't coat everything in sawdust again) to build a full cabinet, I opted for some very cheaply made controllers - 1 for me and 1 each for the kids to plug into my computer and away we go.

Behold the LunchMame! If anything goes wrong just unclip the lid and take a look!

(Internals from AliExpress, lunchbox from Kmart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Oh my god that's so wholesome and I need one

One spare afternoon and a few bits and pieces and you're there! https://almigo.blogspot.com/2020/03/hours-of-fun-in-your-own-lunchbox.html