Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Just wanted to post that I did my first home DIY project that was more complicated the a couple of screws.

I wanted to install an electronic lock, but wouldn't you know it the door has the old 1-1/2" borehole which can't fit my new schlage keypad lock.

I bought a Ryobi door installation kit, (basically a template with beginner tool bits to start you off with).

Side note on existing doors you really should use the arbor to drill into another piece of wood clamped to the door as this template still torques around too much on an existing borehole. Also clamp the template to the door as it is pretty flimsy. But it's nice to not worry too much with measurements and being off center.

After drilling I had to chisel out the door to accommodate the strike plate. Which I did with a chisel and hammer but it looks like rear end so I might buy the actual tool to cleanly chisel out my doors and door frames considering I still need to do 3 more doors.

But end result I have an electronic door lock! (Next project I'll take more pictures in progress.)

Only took me about 3 hours.... But not bad for baby's first home project.

Still have 2 more little projects to do with this door, repairing the screen door handle, and replacing the door handle with a non-locking one so I don't need keys at all. But I won't bore you guys with the mundane stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
After watching lockpicking lawyer (where every lock sucks) my consideration on security was that most people won't pick door locks, and while technology hacking is a concern with smart locks. I think the most common entry would be a kicked door/smashed window to access the house since I don't have that much valuable stuff.

I just wanted the convenience of not fumbling with keys to open the door.