Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Trabant posted:

From wild, rugged outdoors to timid suburban indoors...

My project is a place to work on my projects: a small folding workbench in the garage and a board for my rinky-dink collection of tools above it. The benchtop is made of two sheets of plywood, glued and screwed together. Sliced a 2x4 into strips and glued/screwed them along the edge to give it a bit of finish. The tool board backing is made of same stuff, and I recycled a frame from a ceiling light fixture to give it some shape. Pretty happy with how it came out. Here it is open:

And closed:

Aaaand for about 4 months out of the year, it's utter hell trying to actually use it. I live in the Austin, TX area, and the garage is a goddamn oven June-September. I brought in an AC duct, put insulation on the ceiling, put insulation in the garage door, and probably achieved a 2 degree drop for all my effort. Wooo.

Looks good. I'm jealous of that table saw. I'm in TX too. I find that a large standing fan for $45 bucks is well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Just a Fish posted:

Holy hell those look great :aaaaa:

kinda feel embarrassed of postin my own small glass projects after that

Very pretty.

Autobot or Deceptikon?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Woke up Saturday morning as decided that it was time to do something about my office...

From this

to this

For ~120 bucks, and an afternoon, I'm pretty pleased.

This was my 3rd woodworking endeavor, someday I'll learn to draw poo poo up instead of winging it.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

Holy poo poo, I have the same issue with electronics parts and tools all willynilly and now I have to fix it so I don't feel bad about being shown up by somethingawful poster bobua. Plus, it's gotten bad enough I can never find what I need so it's impossible to work around/with the mess :(

Dude, it's a nightmare. In the picture I have the advantage of putting away all the test leads and miscellaneous wiring and showing a good angle...

Not pictured: 2 kitchen style 5 shelf racks(completely full)
Another rack in the closet, completely full, all the way to the ceiling where another rack is on the built in shelf.
The wiring for 2 pc's and 5 monitors, plus the wiring for a dev station(power adapters, various types of monitor hookups, etc).

This is a 10x10ft room:(

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Everything I do is so hacky and hurried, I'm always jealous of people that take the time to make things pretty clean.

My version of that pvc pipe would have looked like someone used a rusty hacksaw to cut it.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Finished the woodworking part of my diy firebowl. Already tested the propane setup, just need to put a few more holes in the tubing and add some lava rocks and it will be ready to go.

First project with anything fancier than home depot wood.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Wife wanted to replace the cardboard box she set the dog feeder on because princess can't eat from floor level. Throwing a finish on it now.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Thanks guys, probably the first thing I've made I'd call furniture.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

She needs some drawers but she's done for now.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Frances Nurples posted:

Real nice. How are those planes held in place?

For the picture? just gravity and friction. I have some magnets on order though.

AFewBricksShy posted:

That looks fantastic.

I decided to build one of those Japanese Style tool boxes for all of my hand tools (building it entirely out of hand tools(maybe)), and to store it in my basement because my garage gets way too humid in the summer and things get a bit rusty.
I love your storage for the spoke shave and the chisels, I'm absolutely stealing those for one of the trays.

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/making-a-traditional-japanese-toolbox

Well you'd just be re-stealing them. Based them on google image searches but definitely not my original design.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Looks really nice.

I'm like 99% sure I would smash the light bulb the first time I tried to take a chisel out, though.

Yeah, that light is temporary

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Every saturday I have all day free I wake up and think about just how far I'm going to get on a project, then the sun starts to go down and I think well at least I finished this jig so I can get right to it tomorrow.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Wife's pet name is Bird. Started calling her momma bird now that she's pregnant, made her this for her birthday. Little wall art for the nursery.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

x-post from the woodworking thread:

Wife's side table request. poplar, bb, black walnut.

https://imgur.com/gallery/e7gsHXU

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Permanent christmas light install. Assuming it works out long term, should end up way cheaper that having someone install them every year, and there's no way I'm going up there every year anyway. Was about $800 + the cost of renting a lift.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Went with the led's, controller, and power supply from https://www.permatrack.us/

They were out of the tracks in the color I wanted, so I bought drip edge from home depot at $5 per 10ft already matching my eve color. Drilled holes at 2inch spacing and popped the leds in, then secured behind the eves. Here's a picture of what they look like installed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!