Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

async1ronous
May 23, 2003

I flopped the nuts straight
In preparation for several other projects which I have in mind, I found that I had to build myself a workbench. I set about it this weekend. I thought I'd get all fancy and use some clever joinery, which resulted in my having to do a lot of hand sawing.

All of the frame underneath the work surface is half-lapped, with dowels to make sure nothing spread out while the glue was setting.

Upon thinking about it while I was sawing, I wish I'd just cut half of the leg boards to the shorter length before gluing and screwing them last night. I really consider this to be the biggest error I made during the entire process.

Here are the legs, halfway assembled.

And ready for the top to be installed. The higher parts inside the corners aid in screwing everything together, as well as supporting the top frame.

Here I've installed the top, which is 2 layers of 3/4" MDF on top of the 2x4 frame. The entire thing is fairly heavy, but not too much to shove around my workshop/back porch.

A front view. It's hard to tell in the smaller images, but the front board up under the top is a piece of quarter-sawn pine, which looks a little bit better than the rest of my $2 2x4s.

Here's a side, housing the cheapo vise I bought at Harbor freight last weekend, and bolted to the benchtop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

async1ronous
May 23, 2003

poeticoddity is entirely correct. The downside is that you can't put the work down below you and use body weight as much, but the upside is a much thinner cut, and, arguably, more control. I got that saw from Home Depot for about 20 bucks, it's the Marples brand, and is made in Japan. I like it.

async1ronous
May 23, 2003

RussianBear: I totally pimped you out to hackaday. Your nixie creation deserves it.

async1ronous
May 23, 2003

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

Someone found you out.

If you'd read the thread, you'd know it was me.