Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Circus Pies! posted:

Well, apparently I didn't twist the ropes enough because we couldn't launch a tennis ball more than 12 feet. I'm going to try to wind it up more, but man, it's starting too get a little scary.

You should try out a trebuchet next, I had a great time making one of those with my dad when I was a kid. The weight should be less scary than a tensioned rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Isaac Asimov posted:

Hell yes, thank you so much!

I have another request, what is the preferred software for designing electronic diagrams easily? I need something that can do the math for me, like if I add 13 different LEDs and a power source it will tell me how much resistance I need and maybe even the color code. Free to $20 would be ideal.

LTSpice is free and will do the circuit analysis portion of what you are asking for. It isn't a general EDA tool, though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Isaac Asimov posted:

vvv My main problem these days is trying to guess the voltage of my anonymous LEDs that I've had for a while.

You can use a conservative resistor and measure current. Then do a little algebra.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

pbpancho posted:

I got my digital light wand working!

Next step is to get the Arduino and parts installed in my project box, mount a button to replace having to unplug the battery, and install a 6-way switch so I can load multiple sequences at once.

Pretty awesome! Can you post a pic of the guts and tell us what makes it tick?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks for that PDF link, we have some products with 7-segment LEDs and have had a few customers ask about better sunlight readability.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That is the cleanest breadboard circuit I have ever seen. :) Do you happen to have an indoor picture of the 7-segment displays with ND filter?

sup, EX330 buddy

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Sun Dog posted:

These little pond sailers actually sail! This is Whisker 1 and Waterbear 1. Human hair was used on the two lower attach points on Whisker's sail.

Do you have any pictures of them on the water?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Looks pretty drat sweet. :) Thanks for posting that Agilent paper from a while back, we switched from using a translucent red plexi lens to a 27% grey plexi lens. It looks much nicer.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you are a nerd, you could build a punch card reader that is basically a matrix of switches. "Unpunch" the cards by filling them with hot glue.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

There are plenty of hiking dogs, but I've never seen a hiking cat. Can you take her out without a leash and hike around with her disappearing? I wish this would catch on, it is awesome.

e: should be "without", not "with"

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 30, 2011

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What kind of oil are you using? Olive? Any scents or additives?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Your holsters look really great. You could make a ton of money out here in South Dakota, people in Sturgis/Deadwood love that kind of stuff.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

that doesnt seem very practical, tbqh!!

http://www.camp-sdmines.com/index.php/camp-teams/concrete-canoe

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Blistex posted:

I'm not a MAME cabinet guy, (have no place to put one) but I always thought it was be the coolest thing to have the coin slot hooked up to the power switch so that you have to insert a quarter to turn on the cabinet. Anyone hear of such a setup? I know some people build in an "inert quarter" button for continues, but anyone know of an "insert quarter (literal) to turn the cabinet on?

I think the normal insert coin devices act like switches. You could use one the same as your other buttons, and use software to disable/enable the display or something like that. You could also one as a switch to activate a double-pole relay in a latching circuit, which will hold the system power on until power is cut (or some other button is pressed).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Ooh, nifty! My under rail deck lighting survived the winter, and actually works the way I wanted. I had previously only had these on for about 30 seconds, in the rain, in early November.

What are the light sources? It is nice and subdued, I like it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

I know the spaced out board is more expensive, but it really does look clean and neat

It's not even that spaced out for THT stuff.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Spiderjelly posted:

That's where it stands now. If anyone is interested, I'll post updates as I go along.
Cool POW cage!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Jestery posted:

I'm just waiting till I can wirelessly charge my phone on the loo, would be hella handy

You are in luck, because that technology exists.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

They look pretty much perfect.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

That's neat, but the enclosure makes me think "fire" immediately. I can't imagine there's much voltage or heat from the electronics, but still.

It's fine. For corrugated cardboard, the fire point is 258°C, the ignition temperature 427°C.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The looks gorgeous, she is going to love it. Sweet window.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

that's 100% awesome

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That looks really nice! How's the balance? That's a project I would be a little intimidated of.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Some wood dust is really bad, but any wood dust isn't great. Really, the best thing is to use a respirator when any kind of dust is involved.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Trabant posted:

Built some slidey hidey tool cases for my car (but not for car tools):

More photos in the album: https://imgur.com/a/HWUDGT0

e: forgot the link :downs:

That's awesome!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm no coop expert but that is the nicest one I've ever seen.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

I love that this is a thing.

pretty much

nice to see some people are making the world a better place in their own little way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

SmoothOn sells a bunch of 2 part pourable urethanes that might work out.