Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

How deep did you sink those posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Huh. You must be someplace drier than Iowa. 3 foot deep wood without pilings tends to rot out in a few years here because of the snow and rain.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Guitarchitect posted:

yeah, cedar will essentially form its own protective layer as it weathers, which prevents full penetration of water + rot. a similar thing happens with Corten Steel, which rusts enough to retain its structural integrity but not enough that it rusts straight through... for some reason I didn't pick up at first that they were cedar

Me either. Now I feel bad. :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

quote:

"We're rating these cars as most people would drive them in the SUV category," said Jake Fisher, a Consumer Reports auto test engineer.

While Jeep boasts that it sells to more owners who actually drive off-road than any other brand, the majority still spend most of their time on pavement.

A spokeswoman for Chrysler pointed out that the Jeep and Dodge vehicles in this list were fundamentally engineered for heavy-duty off-road use and the Jeeps, in particular, have been rated highly by other publications.

They admit on the first page of the article that they're rating based on performance as an SUV, which isn't what the Jeeps they rated were designed for. Did you read the article you posted?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

I have done something similar to my desk and my mouse is dead. I have been using a crappy temp for about a month now because I am avoiding having to tear it apart to get the wires out.

Just snip the ends off with a wire cutter, then as long as you didn't put the wire ties on kink-tight, you should be able to just pull the wire out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

HUMAN FISH posted:

Also for shits and giggles I'm using a lot of tools made by my great grandpa who was a country blacksmith. For example all the peeling has been done with these puppies:

Still using chainsaws though. I'm not a masochist :colbert:

Those are some absolutely beautiful drawknives. I'm jealous.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Linux Assassin posted:

Well with a real firearm a sound sensor would do just fine. A simple pickup tied to your round counter should be more then accurate enough to count even fully automatic of .22 rimfire without missing any- you will have to play with the thresholds to make sure you are only counting the loudest part of each shot.

That would also likely work with the airsoft system, but airsoft is so quiet by comparison to an actual firearm it would require a lot more tweaking and it might count ambient noises as a 'shot' in a loudish environment.

Problem there being any time you happened to take it to the range, you run the risk of counting anyone in the lanes to either side of you firing as a shot as well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I just keep my microwave on the bakers' rack that stores my pots, pans, and other kitchen appliances. Keeps it out of my way but handy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

excidium posted:

I'll be posting an in-wall bookshelf I built here in a few days as I clean up some final things, but I am interested in knowing how exactly to get a high quality paint finish. It's just a pretty standard shelf painted white, but man, for the life of me I am unable to get a real quality finish on any project that end up painting. Anyone have any tips on what I can do to improve the finish on things?

Or just cheat and use a self-leveling enamel. Something like Sherwin Williams' ProClassic comes out nice and smooth on most surfaces. Do the prep (sand, clean with tack rag, prime you're worried about durability or stains coming through), and throw it on. Just don't load the shelves before it's fully cured.

Comes in latex, too, so you don't have to murder your brain cells as much.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's loving brilliant and would do wonders for the nightmare that currently resides under my desk.

Or you could spend a couple bucks on a roll of velcro and just cable manage it all neatly. :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Get the sculpts right, digitize 'em, and get someone to vaccuform/3D print 'em in bulk. :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

holttho posted:

<Kegerator>

Neat project, just a question. Why go with the ball-stryrofoam over the pink sheet insulation? The pink stuff's a ton easier to work with, and is a lot less likely to get gouged up when you move kegs in and out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Crossposting from the woodworking thread, I just got done finishing the stocks and building out a pair of not-really-NERF dueling pistols for the hell of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Trabant posted:

From "no experience" to that stuff in several weekends? That's amazing work -- you clearly have a knack for it!

But as for this

let me tell you how long drat near every. single. one. of my projects takes. Unless I'm turning, which I think is best done in a single shot, it's going to take loving ages.

I look at it this way: It takes me 4 hours to make a proper loaf of bread. Why would it surprise me that it takes that long to progress on more permanent projects?