Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

easyjo
Nov 4, 2004

fleeee!
An earlier project of mine was replacing a BBC Master innards with a Compaq Ipaq machine to run linux.

Insides:

Removal:

Ipaq parts

The main issue was rewiring the keyboard to work with a PS2 keyboard controller (which I took from an old keyboard). Once it was wired up, and all the keys gave an output, a keymap file had to be made. Once that was sorted I can now use the keyboard full time!

Recent Project:

LED Display. I recently got an LED display as I saw one at a great price. Primarily for displays RSS feeds, etc. The display came with some windows software to display messages, and after sorting out the syntax that it used I wrote a little php app that writes to the serial port, allowing whatever message to be displayed.

Although at the moment, it just currently sits on the internet accepting messages:
https://www.easyjo.com/led.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

easyjo
Nov 4, 2004

fleeee!

Company Mime posted:

Where'd you find that LED display at a good price? Most everywhere I've looked online has wanted an arm and a leg for them.

mine was from https://www.bluearan.co.uk unfortunately they've were getting rid of them and have none left :(

Although there's usually ones around £100 for a similar size one (1 colour) from ebay.

kyacker posted:

This is awesome. Can you please post a howto? PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEE?

Sure, I've been meaning to write a full writeup so here goes....

The LED display is an RS232 controlled device, with 120*8 pixels (3 colours)...

Software came with the screen which can send it messages, graphics and also play music (no idea why). The first stage of the project was to work out the syntax used by the software so I could replicate it within my own program...

This is the syntax sent to the device for a message of "MESSAGE"

<ID00><BE>05<E><ID00><L1><PA><FE><MA><WC><FE>MESSAGE3F<E><ID00><BF>06<E>

As you can see, it contains various tags, which are for font size, scroll speed, intro effect, out effect etc.. and also, importantly a form of hash/checksum after the message, in this case "3F".

This turns out to be calculated by
$hh = 0x74; for ($i = 0; $i < strlen($text); $i++) { $hh ^= ord($text[$i]); }$hh = dechex($hh);

So now, the message can be sent like follows:

<ID00><BE>05<E><ID00><L1><PA><FE><MA><WC><FE>$text$hh<E><ID00><BF>06<E>

Various keycodes can also be used within the message text such as <CR> etc to display various colours.

All the webpage does is adds a message to a MySQL database and adds it to a queue. Another local app running on my pc, connected to the display using USB->RS232 checks the database every 5 seconds or so and displays the message as required.

Then obviously the webcam captures this image, and uploads it to the site...

Also it seems that most LED devices have very similar syntax to this, some with different tags etc, so I guess there is some form of standard method of programming these displays.

Any more info required, just ask.

Edit also bonus mario and pacman:

easyjo
Nov 4, 2004

fleeee!
Horray, image editing is now working on the LED display:
http://easyjo.com/led.php

easyjo
Nov 4, 2004

fleeee!
finished:

progress photos:

Bathroom redecoration:

installed some 12v IP65 downlighters
replaced shelves
various fixture changes
repaint

much brighter now :)

easyjo
Nov 4, 2004

fleeee!
Another bit of DIY/decorating...

retrofitting lots of network cables & redecorating

Complete...

From..

just a couple of blinds to arrive, then done :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

easyjo
Nov 4, 2004

fleeee!

Slung Blade posted:

Looks good. What's that little door halfway up the wall?

the airing cupboard, which was also fitted with a couple of network cables for some temp/hot water sensing :)