Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dog Case give me tips on getting wood out of an axe head so I can re-hang it. First step I think is to get a vice so I can hold it steady, but I don't know if just drilling it will work? I know not to use heat.

In related conversation, check out American Experience: The Big Burn on Netflix (PBS) if you haven't seen it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dog Case posted:

If the handle is in decent shape and you want to re-use it, you can try drilling a bunch of holes in the wedge. Get them fairly close together and then pull the bits between the holes out with needle nose pliers. If there's a metal wedge in there, drill on either side and try to pull it out the same way.

If the handle is already loose, drill out as much of the wedge as possible, then hold it upside down by the handle and use a mallet or dead-blow hammer and try to try to pound it off by alternating on each side of the handle. you can also use a piece of wood carved down to be smaller than the eye opening to pound it out from the top.

If the handle is wrecked and you're going to replace it, saw it off close to the head and just drill out as much as you can.

I've managed to do everything so far without a vice. If I need to hold something in place while I pound on it I just set it on the ground (my wood back porch) and stand on it.

Also I saw that episode! It's pretty good.

I should have mentioned I already cut the handle off close to the head since it was ruined and then proceeded to drill holes in it. I think that's why now I could use a vice because I think I can clamp it up and then fashion the piece of wood you mentioned to pound it out.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

Crushed Obsidian and a thermochromic inlay that turns dark blue in the cold on a Ash Burl with Etimoe Smoked inner band.

How well would the ash burl hold up to long term ring wearing? I kind of want to get remarried to make this my wedding ring. So loving cool.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Simple but figured I'd post since I was asking in the fix it fast thread about technique/tools to paint a wall half of a color. Ended up using a 4ft box level that I would hold firm while my wife taped the line, then of course we painted the white wall color to seal it before painting the pink. Room is a dual purpose guest room and kid play room, hence the mess.

Full disclosure we ended up with about 6 small spots that didn't seal and had the pink bleed up into the white, I took a small miniatures paintbrush with a straight edge to it and touched up those few spots.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

An Etsy shop with a bit of social media and maybe yeah a twitch streamer or whatever and you'd clean up IMO.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

that's very cool

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I've never laid a path but hadn't heard this term until now, putting it away into my memory bank along with the tip on when to put them in.

quote:

I added the polymeric sand (tamping during application) on a clear sunny day with no rain in the forecast, and literally 2 hours later we got hit by a microburst out of nowhere. Can't make this poo poo up. I covered it with tarps, and I think it is ok.
I thought you wanted to put water on the polymeric sand, but maybe rain is not controlled like a hose would be? (never used the stuff obviously myself)

Anyway looks good as does your mailbox! My mailbox might need doing soon but it's a metal post concreted into the public sidewalk so I'll have to figure out the rules regarding that replacement when the time comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is it all held up on that top left side of the stairs there and the right side is just cantilevered off the left side mounting point(s)? Or is there right side support I'm not seeing in the picture?

Asking to learn, not as an attempted call-out of some kind.

edit:
Ok I think I figured it out here, the bottom left of this image extends to either the other side of your house or to a deck support that's out of frame? Sorry for the confusion here, I'm running on little sleep plus I'm dumb!

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 7, 2023