Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My projects are no where near as useful as you guys'; I'm a toy nerd and I like goofing around making my own toy armor for my action figures. Started making mail stuff then got into hammering my own miniature armor from steel sheets. Since I'm too lazy to bother looking for special hardware and such I just make them pretty much the same way the life-size counter parts are made, hammering out each piece, joining them together with scratch made hinges, rivets, and buckle-n-straps.

Here's the latest one I did. Started with hammering out the chest piece:

then to "connecting" pieces like the shoulders:

then to the limbs like these upper legs and knees:

and with the help of some scratch built hardware like hinges:

the suit is finally strapped together, rough polished, and assembled on to the figure itself:

This little project is roughly based on a 15th century Italian style and was shown at a toy show in the San Jose area last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If it has a grip, it's an action figure. If not, then it's a doll. That chick figure I used had grip, that makes it an action figure.

And yeah, PipeRifle, I used a number of forms including that anvil to hammer out the armor. Started hammering things after I got tired of making mail stuff like this dude here:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EigenKet posted:

Also, could you explain what we're seeing there? Most of us don't know much about tattoo stuff. I guess that that's the part that drives the needle, but I don't know how it fits into the rest of the gun/needle (or whatever it's called).

Ditto; I think it looks cooler than hell and I know it takes a lot of work and know how but all I can do is scratch my head on how it's plugging into stuff.

RealKyleH, 20ga is too thick for 12in action figure scale, bro. I'm using 30ga here (roughly 1/6 the thickness of the life-sized stuff, which is 16th ga). Don't use anything fancy like the english wheel or lathe either; I just hammer-raise everything on mini t-stakes.