Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wisdom
Nov 28, 2005
I have a log cabin in the forest. My project was to replace a wood burning stove with a fireplace:

Starting with a plan..

Couldn't find a good piece of wood for a mantle shelf, so I made one from 3 Cedar 4x4s

Since the fireplace is so big, I thought it would be wise to exploit the space it takes up by incorporating recessed shelving in the sides. I moved some electrical and venting.

I skinned the interior with real pine panelling and stained it.

Next, cover the cementboard with metal lath.

Scratch coat of mortar.

Time to lay stones..

grouting..

All that's left to do now are the hearth stones and that should be in the next two weeks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wisdom
Nov 28, 2005

Dewski posted:

Hey Wisdom, couple of questions for ya.

First, awesome job, I love the shelves!

I had been wondering how long that took to do up until this point? I was also curious if you had plans to cover the 2x4 framework on the sides?

I did the work over a period of several months, mainly because I don't live at the location and visit every month or so. It took one day to install the framing and the fireplace insert; 2-3 days to do the shelving (there are some "secrets" in the construction too); about a day to do the mantle shelf; 2-3 days to do the masonry work.

Yes, I'm going to cover the 2x4s... I'm not sure how I'm going to do that yet.. I may put a column of stone there, or I may use some kind of moulding. I haven't decided. I've been designing as I go along which is one reason why it's taken me so long. I would have had the hearth stones laid already but I don't have enough so I've scheduled another shipment to finish.

By the way, I've done tile before, but this is the first time I actually laid stone like this. It's synthetic stone but you wouldn't be able to tell. It's just like regular stone but in pre-cut shapes and a little bit lighter. I opted for synthetic because otherwise I'd have to do a lot of work to the foundation to support the added weight.

For research, I TIVO'd a bunch of DIY shows for several months, read a bunch of books and picked the brains of friends. It turned out nice for my first project. I will say working with the grout bag was a total pain in the rear end. I have a lot of respect for stone masons who do that stuff for a living. It's hard work.

As far as the cost... I'd estimate the insert and framing install was around $2.5k, the stone and mason supplies, $2k, and maybe $150 for the wood.

Wisdom
Nov 28, 2005
Update on my fireplace project:

hearth stones laid.. Just some trim and it'll be done.

Wisdom
Nov 28, 2005

Scottw330 posted:

Another DIY speaker maker chiming in...

So far I have built 4, including a sub. The first two sound great but I wasn't too happy with the woodworking. I had never really worked with MDF before.

Then I built a sub:

Then I built the center channel speaker. This time the woodworking came out much better:

These were all slightly modified versions of the plans from this site:
http://www.rjbaudio.com/

This is good stuff. Do you have any recommendations for where I can get good crossovers?