Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just mounted a hoist over the attic access hatch in the garage, the plan is to use it to swap out lawnmower/snowblower when the seasons switch, since I don't have enough room for both of them in a cramped two-car garage. There's enough clearance that I can slide the winch off to the side so it's out of the way a little bit from the access hatch.

I may have overdone it a bit with the 1/2" lag bolts and 1/8" steel brackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Took friday off, I've been a bit busy the last 3 days:

No kit, just copying what this guy did along with some changes. Still need to do the mesh roof, hang the swings, minor finishing work here and there and stain, but i'll call that good for 3 days worth of work.

I wouldn't recommend building your own stairs, 3 hours just to build those.

Take a level to any surface in any direction and the bubble will be in between the lines. The kid loves it. :3:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
All pressure treated ground contact 4x4s for the main posts, normal pressure treated for everything else, galvanized bolts, and decking screws. I don't always build projects outside, but when I do, I do them right. :)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just finished up a long term project, they each fit right into the crib I made for our daughter from reclaimed oak.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
...it's for my daughter. For her baby dolls.

And a cute photo op. Calm the gently caress down.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We bought a new house recently. This has entailed lots of small projects of course, but I finally finished up the details for this one.

This closet is off of the dining room/kitchen open area. It was dark. I did the following:

- added an outlet on the inside of the closet
- built a shelf on one side for a printer/charging station
- mounted the handheld dyson for charging
- installed LED lighting in the whole closet
- ran Ethernet from the router so I can patch in the poe access point. It’s pretty much center of the house where it’s mounted, I get good signal everywhere.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
When she says “I want a shelf there” the next question is “how high?”

Still need to do finish work but it fits perfectly.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I would wear something like that as a replacement for my current wedding band.

The most current project I’ve finished up is putting the playground back together after our move. the kids are much happier now that the weather is warmer and they can go play outside, so I finally got it reassembled last weekend. I had some great helpers putting it back together, too. :3:

Next step is to build a new canopy top. It previously had an A-frame roof but it got in the way of climbing over the top of the climbing wall. Thankfully it gets good afternoon/evening shade but I still want to build something to keep the UV off of them.

Next up: in-wall speakers in our kitchen with volume control in the closet, run back to the receiver for zone 2 output so we can play the same music, etc. I’ll also wall-mount the TV and run cables in the wall for that as well as proper Ethernet runs from my router, etc.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 14, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Images are self-explanatory.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Added a light/light switch for above the workbench area in the garage.

Before:

After:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
No grim determination needed but there was some sanding...nothing fancy or perfect, but I added some frames to some canvas prints we have. I especially like the expresso stain I used on the larger picture, it makes the picture pop really well.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My daughter’s room is technically the bonus room above the garage. It has two access panels to the attic spaces above the garage on both sides, and they are just 1/8” plywood. I added some foam insulation on the backside of both of them, cut to fit and seal the gaps.

It’s definitely helped, I measured the wall/panel difference and it’s only 2*F now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Built a desk today for the basement storage/utility/workout area from some scrap plywood and 2x4s. This will let me get away from the kids for conference calls, etc while I’m wfh indefinitely.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Rearranged the desk a little bit and added a footrest cross beam in the back, I like kicking up my feet. Also added some bracing on the middle leg.

My father had a ton of these GRK screws in his workshop, I had my mom bring them all up to me one trip - they kick rear end.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The wife did a paint by numbers thing for fun, so of course it fell on me to make a canvas frame for it. Even used some decent scrap wood a neighbor had in a discard pile out front.

Of course it goes in the room of the house befitting such quality work.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Trabant posted:

I'm gonna keep :justpost:ing even though this isn't so much a "project" as "thing I did to tickle the storage/organization fetish center of my brain."

Same. It’s very satisfying to custom fit foam for tools.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, that looks awesome. I better not show this to my wife, she might get ideas...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The firewood pile is very far away from the actual fire pit so I made a small firewood rack to hold a fire’s worth of wood and kindling. Picked up some pressure treated lumber and I had half a can of stain sitting around to throw on it. Pretty happy that I only ended up 20” of offcuts from four 2x4s off of a napkin sketch.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Facebook Aunt posted:

vegan big game hunter.

Pro username right there

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally got off my rear end and finished a project I started a while ago since Christmas is coming up, my wife wanted a decoration. She did the stencil/painting and all I had to do was frame it and stain. Nothing fancy, just some dado slots, staples in the back, and some hosed up 45 degree cuts. As they say, putty and paint make me the carpenter I ain’t.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s gorgeous. I want to show this to my wife but then she might start getting ideas.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
you missed a spot

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I love the divided crate for the corner braces, very clever re-use!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ve only done that type of finish once, you can do it with a cheap $25 propane torch though it would be easier with a better one. Mostly just takes time and patience to get it consistent.

And it’s not really so much a project making something cool instead of basic house maintenance but I finally finished a couple month long project to replace posts/other rotted pieces and boards of the fence, have someone pressure wash it, then finally re-stained all 300+ feet. I also did the same to the playset I built five years ago, it was due for another coat of stain so I used the excess from the fence.

Dog tax included.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 2, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The kids weren’t using the climbing wall attached to the playground because they are bigger now and have a hard time getting through the opening safely.

Solution, take the climbing wall face off, reinforce the frame, and make it easier to get onto the platform. Just need to hit it with matching stain when it isn’t going to rain.

I then took the climbing wall plywood into the basement and built a frame for it there. It’s anchored into the main beam as well as a 2x4 with six tapcons; it isn’t going anywhere. One more coat of paint and I’ll reinstall the holds. I’m glad I went overkill and got stainless hold mounting hardware when I built the climbing wall in the first place, they barely have any corrosion at all after 6 years out in the weather.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 15, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The in wall wire kits are fast and easy*, I used them for both of my TVs.

*if you already have fiberglass rods and no horizontal studs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ve been volunteering at the playground renovation of the main community park the last few days and got to build a lot of stuff.

Thursday’s work was building this replacement roof for one of the sections, and I got to see it installed today.

Forgot to take a picture yesterday but I built the main part of a moon rover “car.”

Today I installed the suspension beams and wobbler bridge along with one of the contracted workers.

They were very happy every time I came back. “Oh hey devmd01 is here, let’s get him on something complicated because he knows what he is doing!” Can’t wait to show my kids what parts I built. I definitely put my initials on a few pieces where it wasn’t going to be visible.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 17, 2022