Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Why does that Subaru break down every time you look at it, Travis", Punchy said. I nearly fell out of the jump seat in my Brat, aghast. "That thing a princess?" I coughed and gulped. "Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy", I said

I feel like the only way to actually automatically clean a shower, like to the point where you would never have to go back and clean it for real because the automated system is weak and misses areas, would be to like fill the entire bathroom with high-pressure steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like the only way to actually automatically clean a shower, like to the point where you would never have to go back and clean it for real because the automated system is weak and misses areas, would be to like fill the entire bathroom with high-pressure steam.

I seem to remember the tech bubel thread theorizing that just adding steam jets to the Dymaxion House bathroom would do the trick:

Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion House posted:

The bathroom consisted of two connected stamped copper bubbles, built as four nesting pieces. The bottom piece is fully plated in tin/antimony alloy and the top half is painted. Each bubble had a drain. No area had a radius of less than four inches (10 cm), to aid cleaning. The commode, shower, bathtub and sink were molded into the structural shell in one piece. One bubble contained a step-up ergonomic bathtub and shower, high enough to wash children without stooping, but just two steps (16 inches / 40 cm) up. The oval tub had the controls mounted on the inside left of the entrance to the oval tub. The other bubble was the bathroom proper with commode and sink. The ventilation for the bathroom was a large silent fan under the main sink, which kept odors away from people's noses.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMPIN' ON INTO THE POWER LINES

Exciting Lemon

So the scrubbing bubbles just sprayed soap everywhere?

That doesn't clean poo poo. Please take a brush to your showers now and then goons, like maybe once a month? 4 times a year, I can compromise?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMPIN' ON INTO THE POWER LINES

Exciting Lemon

Also sure I'll make one if people are dumb enough to buy it cause god what a garbage product. This is not difficult engineering at all.

SchnorkIes
Jan 12, 2021

If you see me posting it's probably a bunch of facebook fwd from your aunt level misinformation about covid. But don't worry, I won't get banned for it, absurd fear mongering histrionics isn't bannable, it's totally fine for me to fearmonger vaccines for months then post about how I've gotten THREE.

M_Gargantua posted:

Also sure I'll make one if people are dumb enough to buy it cause god what a garbage product. This is not difficult engineering at all.

Yeah it doesn't have to work, just look like it does the same thing as the other one.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Dominoes posted:

I offer a rumor: It affects broad ranges of ICs. And an anecdote: It mainly affects MCUs.

Where I work we are getting hosed on voltage regulators. Not particularly fancy ones either.

ante posted:

I am getting completely hosed, professionally, by the shortages.

Just bought up the world's supply of a critical part directly from the MFG, in the hopes that it will tide me over until October.

I bought out the world's supply of a particular type of MOSFET a couple of months ago. Mostly because they went EOL and all of our old equipment depends on them so we needed the spares. On the upside it made for a pretty easy pitch for some money to update those systems.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

M_Gargantua posted:

That doesn't clean poo poo. Please take a brush to your showers now and then goons, like maybe once a month? 4 times a year, I can compromise?

My parents had one at one time and I think the solution had some very diluted bleach or something in it that would kill anything that might grow. You still have to clean the shower to get rid of soap scum and such, it's just this way it gets sprayed down every time you use it so you don't get mold on the grout. That was the idea, anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

"You are the best poster... do not let anyone say otherwise."

I thought all showers were already self-cleaning

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

mobby_6kl posted:

If you're going to keep living with your parents you can at least do some of the chores now and then

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

M_Gargantua posted:

Lol it's like the after shower spray except if you forget to close the shower curtain it makes a huge mess. Also it takes batteries.

#1 shower cleaning tip from me: switch to body wash from bar soap. Much less horrible soap scum to gently caress with

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Forseti posted:

Lol it's like the after shower spray except if you forget to close the shower curtain it makes a huge mess. Also it takes batteries.

#1 shower cleaning tip from me: switch to body wash from bar soap. Much less horrible soap scum to gently caress with

I don't think we ever had a problem of not closing the shower curtain, the real reason it didn't really work iirc is that it kinda piddles out the liquid so unless your shower is only 3 feet by 3 feet it's just gonna spray the area immediately around the shower head and nothing else.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013
I have a high school diploma AND a hobby coin project

Now that you're sufficiently in awe, you motherfuckers shut up and let me tell you how human safety in your self driving car works in the REAL WORLD

Rexxed posted:

It was this thing that used to be advertised on TV (this is a news channel review of it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S1aOSY1eN0

Yep, this thing would break after about a year and sold for $25. They now sell for $200 on Amazon and are definitely not worth it.

Shame Boy posted:

My parents had one at one time and I think the solution had some very diluted bleach or something in it that would kill anything that might grow. You still have to clean the shower to get rid of soap scum and such, it's just this way it gets sprayed down every time you use it so you don't get mold on the grout. That was the idea, anyway.

Yea its this. An ex had one and it worked well for this limited use case, still needed to scrub a couple times a year. Currently my wife and I have some spending money but 0 extra time so we're looking to clean up the house in as automated way as possible.

mobby_6kl posted:

Dominoes posted:

Agree on using existing nozzles etc. And there are many ways to reach this goal, including and beyond the Scrubbing bubbles design. Fix nozzle, pressure-powered moving nozzle as you suggest, electric nozzle, water source siphoning from line pressure (like lawn sprinklers etc), own water tank, multiple devices around the shower working independently / together / single device etc etc. Mesh-networked van-der-waal-hugging squeegee bots.

Yep. I think the goal would be neat and a thing me / other people would use.

LMK if you wanna work together on it at some point in the future, I'd love to work with you on a thing. I'd be willing to form a company you majority own and what not if we get a prototype together.

If we did a sealed battery and could basically just pot a connector, I think we could solve the intrusion and battery corrosion issue. And it might actually be cheaper and easier to assemble.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 19, 2021

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'll hit you up once I've got more time avail / am ready for a new proj.

e: What are you imagining the battery powering? Run-time and schedule timers, maybe nozzle adjustments, button-to-wake-from a standby mode etc? If it doesn't power any motors etc, could probably use a coin cell, which would make your waterproof housing simpler.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 19, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Anyone know how to crimp one of these right-angle spade terminal things?

Do you even crimp them? I guess I could solder a bare one, but what about an insulated one like this?

e: Nevermind I found the specific tool to do it with like a minute after I posted

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 19, 2021

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Trying to repair an oven. I think it's the relays. Can I buy replacements? I am pretty sure the same part is no longer made, and I don't know how to tell if something will work as an equivalent. Trying to search I find things that look the same but say DC instead of AC which seems like I'm no where close.

Here's a photo

The contact is scorched. It looks like this on both the bake and broil relays.

Symptoms: When you turn on the oven and set it to bake, it pre-heats normally, with the element cycling on and off during pre-heating. Then when it reaches the set temp, the element stays on and will not turn off until you turn off the oven.

Model numbers etc. on the two parts

Potter & Brumfield
T90N5D12-12-10
047-00077
15A N.O.
10A N.C.
240VAC
10A, 240VAC
MADE IN U.S.A.

OMRON
MADE IN INDONESIA
047-00088-00
G8P-UA-006103
30A250VAC
15A125VAC
30X8H2

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Epitope posted:

Trying to repair an oven. I think it's the relays. Can I buy replacements? I am pretty sure the same part is no longer made, and I don't know how to tell if something will work as an equivalent. Trying to search I find things that look the same but say DC instead of AC which seems like I'm no where close.

Here's a photo

The contact is scorched. It looks like this on both the bake and broil relays.

Symptoms: When you turn on the oven and set it to bake, it pre-heats normally, with the element cycling on and off during pre-heating. Then when it reaches the set temp, the element stays on and will not turn off until you turn off the oven.

Model numbers etc. on the two parts

Potter & Brumfield
T90N5D12-12-10
047-00077
15A N.O.
10A N.C.
240VAC
10A, 240VAC
MADE IN U.S.A.

OMRON
MADE IN INDONESIA
047-00088-00
G8P-UA-006103
30A250VAC
15A125VAC
30X8H2

The relay seems to be this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/CONNECTIVITY-POTTER-BRUMFIELD-T90N5D12-12-pieces/dp/B00LQPWBZU
with this datasheet which says it can switch 240V AC at 30A, the 12V is control power, I guess.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1828107.pdf

Searching the second number shows this guy used a newer Omron relay and had it work:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/help-finding-a-suitable-relay-replacement-on-oven-relay-board-old-relay-discontinued.176391/

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Right on, thanks!

Rexxed posted:

the 12V is control power, I guess.

Ohhh, that makes more sense. I figured I was missing something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

I'd double check other stuff too. You said it still cycles while pre-heating, which kinda hints that the relay might be fine (well, clearly not fine, definitely still replace that mess, but functioning) since when relays fail they usually either weld together and never turn off, or get so corroded that they never turn on (or turn on erratically). The whole "turns on and off normally during preheat, but then doesn't turn off when up to temp" almost sounds like a thermostat problem or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hmm, dang. Well, it has a digital read out of the temperature which appears functional (again, during pre-heating but not after), so I'm pretty sure it's on the board not a sensor.