Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

What's a good PCB layout software for a beginner? Autodesk EAGLE seems too complex for my dumbass and Fritzing is no longer being mantained and crashes on me a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

After my latest solder tip literally crumbled in the middle of a project, I'd like to know what tips y'all use and how you take care of them.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Is it possible to get micro USB sockets that simply have 2 pins for power that my dumbass could reliably solder? Is there a magical keyword to find these on eBay?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

How the hell is Arrow able to do free 1-day delivery with no minimum purchase amount?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ambrose Burnside posted:

"loss leader to undercut their very similar and more established competitors" i would imagine

I ordered a handful of components: some pots, ICs, caps, and other small components in addition to 3 rolls of hook-up wire on Thursday like 4 AM. it arrived today (Friday) a little after noon.

All these things could probably fit in a 8"x8"x4" box or so with plenty of space for packing peanuts or whatever. The items arrived in 2 different boxes: a 10"x8"x4" or so box and a 8"x12"x12X or so box. Every item was in its own fairly large anti-static bag and individual ICs (I only ordered 1 of each) were in a separate rigid tube that are at least 8" long.

Edit: One of the components was a DIP socket that is in its own sealed box that's larger than a ring box that is also in its own antistatic bag. :psyduck:

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 3, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Try ordering some TQFP packages from them some time, it's insane. I order like, 10 ATMega chips and they send me this massive tray, like 1ft by 2ft, capable of holding like 200 to 300 chips easy, and made of that really durable plastic that milk crates are made of. This is then secured with three thick straps, vacuum packed in an antistatic bag and put in a box with a bunch of packing material.

For 10 chips the size of a fingernail.

drat those trays eeem handy. Might be worth it just for those.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

The Something Awful Forums > DIY > There's something wrong with your time tunnel in the Learning Electronics MEGATHREAD

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This is a kind of unrelated aside but that tree figure reminded me of a toy I had when I was young that had a green translucent material on the top of the head/stump and the eyes. I think it was supposed to catch light and slightly give off a green glow.

Maybe it was glow in the dark.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I think there's a BigClive video where he takes apart a lithium battery and it ignites. Thankfully he was putting the pieces in a metal dish but burning pieces were still going all over his workbench and around more flammable stuff.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

That wasn't even a lithium battery, it was a nickel-metal-hydride battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBg4ximDrsk

I'm guessing it's mostly down to the super duper high surface area of the active chemical bits meaning it can react with oxygen so fast that you don't even need the substance to be particularly dangerous on its own to get some self-igniting fun. I bet even a car battery would do something like this if you took the plates out and got them dry fast enough (maybe with a vacuum desiccator) and then just let the air hit them all at once.

Oh wow, i forgot that he was putting it all on top of a paper towel before the dish came in.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I think that BigClive video with the battery is the only time I've gotten earnest concern from his voice. This includes the video where he was shocking himself with mains voltage as he stepped down with resistors to see if he could let go of the conductors.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

kid sinister posted:

So he's like ElectroBOOM without the giveaways?

I cannot loving stand ElectroBoom so no. BigClive is just normally laid back and doesn't really do stupid dangerous poo poo for the most part.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

You shut your goddamn mouth

Sorry, like what you like but I just don't like bombastic exaggerated "characters." I'd rather listen to a Scottish dude rant about smart meters and that UK electrician certification organization that I can't remember the acronym for while taking apart numerous dollar store LED lights.

You know, stuff that matters.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dupont connectors can kiss my rear end.

edit: Arrow no longer does free shipping on orders less than $50. :smith: I wanted to pick up a dozen DIP sockets and the shipping is $13. Back to ebay.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 14, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

I don't remember them ever doing free shipping on orders less than $50 but maybe they were doing a promo I missed?

They were doing free 1 day shipping a few months ago. I had never ordered from them before so I thought it was standard for them. I even made a post in this thread wondering how they could do that for free but yeah you're right, it was just a limited time thing.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

I mean they've been doing free next day shipping for a while yeah (and it looks like they're still doing it?), I just always remember it being for orders over $50 :shrug:

Oh well, that gravy train has to come to the station sooner or later I guess.

They were doing free 1 day shipping with no minimum order total. I would say I should've stocked up but that would've been more than $50 worth of stuff which would've been free anyway.

I wish I could find those snappable header pins to 3D-print my own sockets for a reasonable price (reasonable to me = cheapskate prices) and not from China as used in this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2104621

Have any of you ever ordered from Tayda Electronics?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 14, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I've used those 100 mil pitch rectangular connectors for ages and I only learned now with a Google search that they are called "Dupont connectors." I bought them pre-crimped from a hobby shop and never knew what to search for to make my own.

Well that's going to make procurement easier

Have fun crimping these drat things. :smith:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Maybe one of you guys could clue me in on a search term to find a connector I need to do a simple project.

It involves several RGB LED strips radiating from a central point, much like a clock or compass rose. I need a right-angle male header to connect every other pair of strips to each other so they are all in one series.

Here's my crude MSPaint of what I"m talking about :

I've tried searching for "stacked right-angle headers" or "linear right angle headers headers" or "flat right angle headers" but I'm not finding them. Surely they must exist. There is probably also a waaay better and smarter way of accomplishing this.

edit: Forgot to mention that I can't use right angle connectors meant for LED strips because the ends of the strips are nowhere near each other.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 17, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

poeticoddity posted:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en...e=1&pageSize=25

Digikey > Connectors, Interconnects > Rectangular Connectors - Headers, Male Pins > set number of rows to 3 and specify right-angle through-hole pins.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

For anyone else that might need these: these Digikey results lead me to a model number to look up which lead me to the ebay keywords I needed which in this case is "triple row right angle headers." I use eBay because I'm cheap as hell and buy headers in 40 pin strips and snip them to the size I need.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 17, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Anyone have any experiences with 3D printing circuit boards or is this still in its early stages where it's unobtainable by mere mortals?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

The closest thing to "useful" I remember seeing was someone who 3D printed a plastic "board" with grooves in it, and then loaded solder into the 3D printer somehow and "printed" it into the grooves to make an incredibly ugly, blobby but technically functional circuit.

I've tried this but with homemade "solder paste" made of powdered graphite mixed with various glues, epoxies, and even acrylic paint. If you add enough graphite, the resistance is actually really low and you can paint circuits on paper and such. I applied the glue with a syringe and it hardened in the grooves. It worked but was messy as hell. What a dumb goose chase project that was.

I'm one of the most beginner level people in this thread when it comes to electronics so I didn't want to invest in an etching kit, even a cheap probably garbage one just to play around but I do have access to a 3D printer. Nothing I would make would be complex at all.

Here's the STL for a simple board for a Raspberry Pi weather station I made with it:

Right is for the Pi. Bottom left is for a BME280. Top left was for an ADC that was connected to a wind speed and direction board I also made that used reed switches. It was even more of a mess.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 2, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Nevermind this.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 7, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The title this thread should have is the one where someone said their time tunnel (?) wasn't working on their oscilloscope or something like that.

edit: found it:

Bad Munki posted:

There's something wrong with your time tunnel

The Something Awful Forums > DIY > There's something wrong with your time tunnel in the Learning Electronics MEGATHREAD

I don't even know if a time tunnel is real.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 3, 2020

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

You need an Ikari Warriors joystick.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

God bless those people that scan and upload manuals. I have used them for lawn mowers, old tractors, washing machines, and electronics over the decades. Even if I have the manual myself I just look it up online.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I'm trying to 3D Print some frames to place over LED strips. Any ideas for ways to stop the light from bleeding through the material? Even 100% infill doesn't really help.

It's so small that adding metal reflectors seems really difficult. Is there some kind of paint-on metallic paint that reflects 100% of light?

This is similar to the LCD-like segmented numeric digits y'all were talking about a few pages ago so I figured I'd ask.

edit: I'm going to try just adding some black acrylic paint and see what happens.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 9, 2020

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Does anyone actually have fun soldering LED strips

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ambrose Burnside posted:

pulvermacher battery chain update:

This is amazing.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ambrose Burnside posted:

ohhh that’s smart, i like this, and i have access to a cricut so i could roll my own from CAD files p painlessly. prolly not suited to anything other than low-power circuits and i bet typical soldering temps ruin the adhesive, but still, dang

Wow, good idea! I'm the guy that was trying to 3D print PCBs earlier in the thread so I'm willing to try this out.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 3, 2020

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ambrose Burnside posted:

ohhh that’s smart, i like this, and i have access to a cricut so i could roll my own from CAD files p painlessly. prolly not suited to anything other than low-power circuits and i bet typical soldering temps ruin the adhesive, but still, dang

Did you ever try this?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 25, 2020

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

When I was a kid I played this game on my Tandy CoCo that IIRC you moved from room to room à la Zelda dungeons and slapped together electronics components to build circuits. My memories of it are pretty fuzzy, but I remember enjoying it.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Rocky's Boots?

edit: beaten.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

That Works posted:

Just wanted to throw this in here.

You all were super helpful in going from literal ground zero / square one but it all works! What you're looking at is the inside of my chicken coop. Solar power lines from the panel on top of the coop come in from the right. Battery is in a case down below. Mounted to the left of the big box is a 2-gang junction box that holds the Pi ZeroW and the DC motor controller. Inside the big frame is a 12vDC bus+fusebox, the solar charge controller, and a current meter. Off to the far left is the linear actuator mounted to the chicken coop door.

Currently I have individual python scripts that I can run after I ssh into the Pi to open and close the door, and another script that will just spit out raw data from the temp sensor (sits inside the big frame right now).

I gotta spend some time learning how to slick up things on the programming end but on the electronics side everything seems great.

Thanks again for all the help and putting up with a bunch of random, mostly nonsensical questions.

You've gotta post a video of this in action.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

What is the name of this connector?

Pin spacing is 2.5mm, and there's a clip on top for the socket.

Here's a bonus pic of it looking like a face:

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 19, 2020

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

it is nano-fit Molex (or at least a knockoff) because the housing at its widest is 6mm. I should've put that in my original post; sorry about that.

Thanks a bunch for putting me on the right track.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 19, 2020

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I think I want to get into learning how to program microprocessors to make standalone PCBs for little electronic projects and stuff so I don't have to use a RaspberryPi or Arduino and everything's contained to the PCB/perboard.. I don't plan on doing anything extremely complicated (at least not at first); just little LED doodads for now. Obviously. I have no idea where to start really and wonder if y'all could suggest some resources.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 25, 2022

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

cruft posted:

I am now solidly in camp MicroPython.

Go get yourself an Adafruit Qt Py and go hog wild. That SAMD21 is a hell of a chip. When you've grown out of MicroPython, you can move to C++ and stay on the same board. And the embedded I2C bus connector (Stemma / Qwiik) is just :kiss:

Holy poo poo, this might be a perfect first step as I have pretty good experience with Python and like using it. Never even occurred to me that there'd be flavor of it for microprocessors. Thank you!

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 25, 2022

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

cruft posted:

LOL, it's funny, I was just about to edit my post because I had missed that you were already using Arduinos. The Qt Py is a grown up and shrunk down Arduino that can also run Python (and drive an I2S device... and has capacative touch sensors... and a 10-bit DAC... and and and).

But I'm glad my mistake was exactly what you were asking for :)

Yeah I made a typo myself (or really just used the wrong word) and meant to say I was looking to start programming microchips, not microcontrollers.

I was mostly just looking for something of a way smaller form factor really. Everything I do is just to tinker and play around in my free time and I'm not looking to use the least power possible or anything. It seems like what I'm looking for and I will have a lot of fun with it.

edit: Also I apologize for editing so much. I am bad about typing things before I have my thoughts all together.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Not correcting you to be a jerk but because it may help you find information you need - you mean microcontrollers, which are single-chip programmable computers that are used for control and interface applications.

Coincidentally there is a company named Microchip that makes the most popular lines of microcontrollers!

No need to worry about coming across as a jerk if I'm saying something that is wrong or I'm confused about something. Doesn't bother me at all if I learn something.

(also you did not come across negatively)

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 26, 2022