Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
What do you make the pogo pins poke in an application like that anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Rescue Toaster posted:

I have a 3HP dc motor in my treadmill that was surging and making some slight thudding/popping-ish noise. Looks like it's sparking at the brush. When it's free wheeling on my bench it seems fine, but if I put my hand on the flywheel and the current jumps up to 3-4 amps it starts to happen.

The commutator looks OK from what I can see through the holes. One brush has a chip on the corner and the little piece fell out when I removed it. But I'm damned if I can find a replacement brush, they have a small cord with a spade connector coming out the back which seems like an unusual configuration. All the treadmill repair places just want to sell me a new $360 replacement motor.

Is there any secret source of carbon brushes I can search for by dimensions or anything?

https://www.mcmaster.com/carbon-brushes has a bunch. Does it turn freely and without any play? Any time you hear a funny noise you have to think bearings as well, though if you have bad brushes you have bad brushes.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I have some experience in industrial tank cleaning and my advice is if you want to automate cleaning you're going to want to design the shower around it vs trying to come up with an appliance. For a self cleaning shower system your customer is going to be contractors renovating bathrooms for nouveau riche types who don't want to hire help. It's a business to business product unless you want to market them directly and then sub out the actual installs.

You might be able to tap into institutional new construction too.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

Also sure I'll make one if people are dumb enough to buy it cause god what a garbage product. This is not difficult engineering at all.

Yeah it doesn't have to work, just look like it does the same thing as the other one.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Gas lines big enough you're talking about drilling and presumably welding bosses into, but running off little powerlets? Unless this is a handheld system, I'd definitely just tee off with some high pressure tubing and mount the big cheap sensor where you have space.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
A short run of the proper stainless tubing with a loop should be able to address all the issues at some cost to response time I'd think.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
If it's for commercial development and you think the data is useful, you should probably just spend a few hundred bucks on a suitable subminiature sensor. It's likely peanuts in the long run vs the engineer time to robustly electronically read an analog gage.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Foxfire_ posted:

I doubt there's an easily findable mini transducer that's okay with that pressure and having its membrane periodically dunked in -40C liquid CO2, even with a few hundred dollar budget.

https://www.pcb.com/products?m=105C12 I'm seeing stuff like this, he'd just have to get quotes I guess. Look at that cute little guy!

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
What's this about super cheap logic analyzers?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Someone build an Arduino but running an old PC processor from the garbage heap imo

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Cross-posting from 3D printer thread, I'm organizing my work area and have a lot of strips of SMD components. Anyone have a good way to organize these? Some of them are too long for binders. Does anyone know where to get the binder pages with the long slots for this though, regardless? Seen a good 3D-printed organizer?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
What's on the other side of the board

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i say this with love, even though it is incredibly damning: it is one of the instruments Weird Instrument Guys retreat to when they need a new fix of Im Into Some Pretty Obscure Things You Probably Havent Heard Of

It's really well known I just thought it was notoriously difficult to pick up. Moog hands them out like candy.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

BattleMaster posted:

If it doesn't need to have high accuracy then maybe a geared DC motor would be good but I don't know enough to offer specific recommendations.

The hobby ones can be pretty loud, I wonder if there's room in the base of the diorama for a motor with a belt reduction and a shaft up into the record player model

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
You could probably rig up a pretty simple belt-drive vertical axis with a flapper on it that can rotate in and out of the detection area, one of those for each ultrasonic sensor and you can automate it really precisely.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Anybody know of any good hands-on pneumatic logic resources? i havent worked with this stuff in years and it isn't coming back to me as quick as i'd like. neither basic digital logic nor PLC-type ladder logic are that tricky for me but i forgot that pure pneumatic logic is "fucky to implement" and "not quite the same as normal digital logic", you kind of get steered into working with a limited set of valve-circuit-equivalent Logic Units and not working problems the way you would if high pressure air wasn't involved.

What are you trying to do pneumatically? This really depends on application.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I figure this is as good a place as any to ask: I need some bright overhead lighting for a workbench, I don't want to hack into the ceiling too much because I'm probably moving next year, but my wife says that anything linear (fluorescents, LEDs, anything in a line or strip) looks "too cheap". I was going to do the conventional "LED strip/fluorescent on poles coming off the back of the bench" like everyone does, but that's out now and I didn't know if any of you had seen super bright non-cheap-looking lights

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

TacoHavoc posted:

Sever and buy strip lights, they are the right thing for the location unless this is some sort of bespoke workbench.

I'd say maybe can lights but you'd be getting into the ceiling which is worse.

I absolutely do not want to get into the ceiling because I am moving very likely in under a year. I would ideally suspend strip lights in good diffusers from the ceiling in a curve that follows my whole L-shaped desk, but right now I feel like throwing a bracket with lights on the top would be easiest. I'm doing small soldering and mechanical assembly so I need a LOT of light. Anything linear at all in shape has been rejected as looking too cheap/institutional so I'm really in my head about this. I'm obviously not like forbidden to do it but I don't want to end up looking like I'm in a dump either. Here's a picture for reference, black thing is parts bins, small side of L has computer on it, shelves have scope, power supply, etc.

Light strip is 8 feet long, for scale.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

ante posted:

Putting a few strips side by side so you get a wider rectangular shape would be good. And then diffusion, obviously.

Or even curve it a little around where your head is located in space. Like, raise that middle support a couple inches.

I'm not just going to throw bare strips on a board, I'm probably just going to use the ubiquitous narrow 4-foot workbench light modules. That's what I have out in the garage too and like them, I think you can get color temp change ones.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

TacoHavoc posted:

I guess the other option is to get a drafting light you can clamp onto the bench like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MHH9Q7B/. I own it and like it, but it does get in the way some times. You talk about mounting strips with diffusers on the ceiling, could you just do that off the brackets you've modeled? I'm not sure how it doesn't break the linear rule though.

Comedy option of buying an architectural or spec grade led tubular fixture, so when she calls it cheap you can tell her it was actually not cheap. https://www.alconlighting.com/led-tube-lights.html

Yeah, either way it breaks the linear rule. If I were living here longer I would absolutely go with the high end tube lights like you are linking regardless. I guess I will just try to pass whatever I end up rigging on those brackets as temporary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

KnifeWrench posted:

Any board you find in a consumer product is likely custom. The quantity is just too high, and the control over replacement parts is too valuable, to do anything else.

He needs to disassemble the module and post extremely close up pics so we can look at the possibilities of a mod or a custom replacement imo, it's 5 LEDs and we're all a buncha nerds