Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gerogarygaygaygay
May 30, 2004

by DocEvil
This is a great thread, I'm really looking forward to getting help from you guys. I do experimental music using a lot of analog synthesizers and effects, so I've been needing to learn how to build and repair electronics forever. Does anyone have any simple through-hole audio oscillator projects they can post?

franc0ph0bic posted:

Im just gonna throw this in - if anybody out there plays any for of amplified instrument (ie. electric guitar/bass, electric violin...) making simple circuits to modify the sound is very popular. I have made many different guitar effects, including distortions, delays, and modulation effects. There are many good beginner projects that are also very useful, and its a great way to learn electronics.

Do you have any good resources for plans/parts/kits? I know PAiA are the masters of this sort of thing, but there's a surprising number of younger companies coming out with kits and plans for effects and synths. Obviously there's Synthesis Tech, Wiard and Doepfer, but there are a lot of DIY garage-based companies too. Here's a few I've run across, although I haven't tried them (mostly too difficult for a rote beginner like me) I have heard good things and they all offer plans on the site.

MFOS - They have a number of simple synth/effect plans up online as well as a full analog modular design. They sell PCBs for many of them too.
Ken Stone's Modular - Ken has been doing it a bit longer than MFOS. Also sells PCBs for most of his projects, and offers a stomp-box adapter so you can use any of the modules as effects as well.
Jürgen Haible - has a lot of really neat clone projects that are way beyond my ability. Probably expert-level stuff, but someday I'll build that Schulze phaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gerogarygaygaygay
May 30, 2004

by DocEvil
Well, I just pre-ordered one of these through ebay: http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/07/gakken-analog-synthesizer-sx-150.html

I'm not even sure of the construction details and it's been a few years since I did any soldering, but for $40 I couldn't pass it up. I'll report back when I get it if you guys are interested in hearing about it.