Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

We're putting together an initial members list for the team. If you've posted a link to your shop in the thread, you're added. If not, quote this with your Etsy name if you'd like to be in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
Part of the tag does have to be team.

For example, I'm in these two:

California Crafters Club of Etsy: CCCOE Team
Etsy Green and Clean Guild: EGCG Team

Thanks for joining up, dominoes!

Tethyis
Dec 13, 2006

The happiest fish..
Not sure what I can do to help but I'm more than happy to try. Count me in, I am tethyis on etsy as well.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

One thing teams are good for is creating treasuries.

When it's timed right, you can snag a treasury and fill it up with SA crafters. My california team does this a lot, and it's a big group -- so good chance for front page exposure.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!
Great! What do your all think about the name Etsy Goon Squad?

I am working with another goon on a logo, if you have any ideas post up!

Edit:

What do you all think? My favorites are the first 2

Mrs. Orgasmo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 14, 2008

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Mrs. Orgasmo posted:

What do you all think? My favorites are the first 2

I like the first one best, second one second best. Not much into pink here, but thats my only qualm.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

Matrim posted:

I like the first one best, second one second best. Not much into pink here, but thats my only qualm.

I bought the first and second ones and can change any colors. Also the goon gave me the granade seperate.

edit:
ok I can't get the fonts for free so we can do another font or just use the one he provided. What do you all think about this for the banner? I can change any color.

Mrs. Orgasmo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 14, 2008

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Looks good to me! Name is fine too, but when we actually tag our items we should put the team word in to cover our asses.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

altazakin posted:

Looks good to me! Name is fine too, but when we actually tag our items we should put the team word in to cover our asses.

definitely, will do!

"teametsygoonsquad"
or
"teamEGS"
or
"teamGoon"

Mrs. Orgasmo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 14, 2008

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!
Ok, I sent the application in.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Cool!!

If you keep the words separate -- like Team Goon, then we can be found if you type in goon ;)

We should make an effort to try to snag treasuries whenever we can, and put each other in them.

I know none of us are tagged right now, but there are some treasuries expiring in treasury west, I think it'll be opening up in about an hour:

http://www.etsy.com/treasury_west.php

and here's the main one:

http://www.etsy.com/treasury.php

If you've never made a treasury, it might be good to practice! You basically plunk in the listing id from an item, and it pops into your treasury.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I like the banner. Personally, I like teamgoon for the tags, but I think most other teams I've seen use their acronyms.

Was Etsy Goon Squad going to have dues? I don't think I'd mind a reasonable amount if we were going to use it for advertising or something similar. Also, it could return the cost of the banner to Mrs. Orgasmo.

edit: gently caress. I looked away from the main Treasury for a second and it's full again. In the meantime, does anyone have the link for the website that you can prebuild a treasury?

Nrapture fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 14, 2008

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

Nrapture posted:

I like the banner. Personally, I like teamgoon for the tags, but I think most other teams I've seen use their acronyms.

Was Etsy Goon Squad going to have dues? I don't think I'd mind a reasonable amount if we were going to use it for advertising or something similar. Also, it could return the cost of the banner to Mrs. Orgasmo.

Ok "Team Goon" will be the tags so please tag accordingly. Humm, never really thought about the dues part. I think the ultimate goal money wise is to raise enough to get an ad up on SA directing to all of our stores. I have no idea how much that would cost.

I didn't mind paying for the logo :D no worries there.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Aww thanks!

The ads at the bottom are super reasonable. $30 for a month. You can buy multiple slots, which will allow for more chances our ad will show.

The top ads are pricier, I forget what they come out to.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!
Great! That pretty affordable.

Some ad's you can use on anything. If you want a specific color let me know. Im jsut brainstorming.

Mrs. Orgasmo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 14, 2008

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Messed with the composition a bit:

The kerning could be adjusted, but I was just working off your jpeg. The letters in ETSY shouldn't be touching, S is too close to the Q in squad, and the N in goon is slightly too close to the second O.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

mcsuede posted:

Messed with the composition a bit:

The kerning could be adjusted, but I was just working off your jpeg. The letters in ETSY shouldn't be touching, S is too close to the Q in squad, and the N in goon is slightly too close to the second O.

That's the font used.

Anyways, we are official.
http://team.etsy.com/viewteam.php?id=299

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!
Please start tagging your items Team Goon.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!
Would you all be interested in getting 2x2 inch stickers?

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Awesome! I'll begin tagging as I relist items.

Saw the flickr group, that was a good idea. I'll upload some photos later.

Here's my flickr:

http://flickr.com/photos/savor_soaps/

Feel free to add me as a contact.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

altazakin posted:

Awesome! I'll begin tagging as I relist items.

Saw the flickr group, that was a good idea. I'll upload some photos later.

Here's my flickr:

http://flickr.com/photos/savor_soaps/

Feel free to add me as a contact.

Here is mine as well!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/promosinasnap/

the group flickr
http://www.flickr.com/groups/786494@N22/

If anyone from the group would like to be added just list up and I will add you to the flickr group!

Mrs. Orgasmo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 15, 2008

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
All my items are tagged. Yay!

Hmmm... stickers. Did we get a nice address for our team, like etsygoonsquad.etsy.com or something?

I don't have my store on flickr yet. It's on my list of things to do. v:)v

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Nrapture posted:

Hmmm... stickers. Did we get a nice address for our team, like etsygoonsquad.etsy.com or something?

Along those lines... Is having a third-party website acceptable to Etsy policy? I assume that it would be, but shouldn't be linked to from Etsy. I'll help design a site if we decide to go that route.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
Awesome! I hadn't checked in here in a bit. I'll start tagging when I start listing new items after my renovations are done.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Yep, you can have a website and list it in your store. The catch is, you cannot direct people to another website for the purpose of having them buy there -- it's fee avoidance. Many people link to their websites, even websites that sell items -- but you just can't be using your etsy as a redirect to your site. That's the difference.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

altazakin posted:

Yep, you can have a website and list it in your store. The catch is, you cannot direct people to another website for the purpose of having them buy there -- it's fee avoidance. Many people link to their websites, even websites that sell items -- but you just can't be using your etsy as a redirect to your site. That's the difference.

You are right, you can't have your etsy site direct to a site that sells items. Sounds great! I can get a roll of 1000 2x2 inch square stickers for $50 so that would be pretty cheap if split up.

I think a website would be great.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I missed the main treasury, but snagged a treasury west just a few minutes ago.
http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list_west.php?room_id=10174

Comments, suggestions, switches? Let me know.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Nice work!!

I'm slowing getting all my items tagged.

Can I vent for a second? Another soapmaker has copied one of my most popular soaps, even down to the photography :( It's seriously irking me since the copy is so blatant.

I don't think I'll pursue it or anything but it does piss me off, a lot.

Here's my soap:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=11808695

It's pretty distinctive and the photography style is, too. I don't see how this person could have copied it by mistake.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
That's horrible. If you say who it is, I will go <:mad:> at their shop. If they are an established seller and this is the first time they are offering it, I'd definitely say it was a copy. Still, holy crap there is a lot of soap on Etsy.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

There is a TON of soap on etsy and I've actually seen copying that was TOTALLY coincidental. I had a mint chocolate soap and a well known seller did too, and she's very ethical -- I know neither of us copied the other. I even wrote to her so that if any customers said anything, she'd know I didn't consider hers a copy (hers was newer). It's not like mint chocolate is so rare anyway.

I'm wary to really call out the seller, I don't want a goon rush or anything, hahah :D

The person is very established, and just recently I started seriously outselling him. This is the first time he offered the soap, and the style, concept and photography are ripoffs of my soap, that has sold for a few months now.

We "know" each other, so I am sure he knows he copied it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Nrapture posted:

I missed the main treasury, but snagged a treasury west just a few minutes ago.
http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list_west.php?room_id=10174

Comments, suggestions, switches? Let me know.

Great! :)

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

altazakin posted:

I'm wary to really call out the seller, I don't want a goon rush or anything, hahah :D

The person is very established, and just recently I started seriously outselling him. This is the first time he offered the soap, and the style, concept and photography are ripoffs of my soap, that has sold for a few months now.

I understand and I think I figured out who it is. I'm going to frown at the shop now. Perhaps I'll through a bit of :arghfist: in too.

As an aside, is it possible for you to create a set of sampler soaps about 1/4 of the size of your standard sizes?

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

I think it's very telling that people are finding the copycat without me revealing who it is :)

If you're not picky about appearance, I can cut most of the bars down if you'd just like a sample :) I can use the rest to tuck in as freebies with orders.

I also do have a mold that makes small samples, but I rarely get the time to make them and wrap them. I only have "Juice" as an actual sample right now.

Which ones were you thinking of?

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
That's part of the problem. I have no idea what scents I might like. I can't go into the standard bath store because 100 different odors at once is not pleasing to me.

So if you get inquiries like this from time to time, I can just wait and purchase parts of the same soaps the other person asks for.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Alright, I just happened to be looking around in Treasury West when I saw the goon treasury!! So I'm totally jazzed that we do have our own etsy Goon Squad now.

I'm totally in for helping out in getting it off the ground. I do have webhosting that we can use if we need it for like a blog or webpage or something.

Also for some reason I screwed up and was using 'goon team' instead of 'team goon' as my tags and search results for both come up with the same things, so I'm not going to worry about changing the ones I did, but any new ones I do I'll do the 'team goon' on it.

Rathina fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 18, 2008

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

Nrapture posted:

That's part of the problem. I have no idea what scents I might like. I can't go into the standard bath store because 100 different odors at once is not pleasing to me.

So if you get inquiries like this from time to time, I can just wait and purchase parts of the same soaps the other person asks for.

I havn't bought a soap from her that I don't like!

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

Rathina posted:

Alright, I just happened to be looking around in Treasury West when I saw the goon treasury!! So I'm totally jazzed that we do have our own etsy Goon Squad now.

I'm totally in for helping out in getting it off the ground. I do have webhosting that we can use if we need it for like a blog or webpage or something.

Also for some reason I screwed up and was using 'goon team' instead of 'team goon' as my tags and search results for both come up with the same things, so I'm not going to worry about changing the ones I did, but any new ones I do I'll do the 'team goon' on it.

If you would like to take the bull by the horns and be in charge of the webhosting and building a site that would be great. I have the graphics just let me know if you need anything!

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

Mrs. Orgasmo posted:

I havn't bought a soap from her that I don't like!

I just spotted the cinnamon! It's one of the few scents I know I like - I just couldn't pass it up!

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Thanks Mrs Orgasmo and Nrapture :D

The cinnamon is always a hit, and it's fun to make.

I saw this great treasury today:

http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=45118

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm working on a website. Here's a rough template: http://jmutextbook.com/etsy/index.html I'd love some content suggestions.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 20, 2008