Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Hey I had a few questions about etsy and figured maybe there was a goon thread about it, and here it is! Anyway, I started a thread selling paper flowers here on SA but no one really seems interested. I thought maybe I'd try etsy but I'm not really sure how to price or sell them as far as listing them because they'd all be custom as far as the amount and color, so the prices would differ a lot. Could I just make one listing or put up a few examples and then hope people message me?

I'm kind of a newbie at this, I'm not used to selling my crafty stuff.

Edit: Here's the thread if it helps to price things.

Amaya fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I've made a little self-goal of cross-stitching the first 150 pokemon (at least) and after some encouragement decided to open a shop with them.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/StitchemAll

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I finally bit the bullet and made a big-girl shop for my prints. I was worried at first that the prices were just way too high but then I put some cheaper stuff in too. I'm not sure what to do next though.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/InklingForDesign

More than likely over summer I'm going to focus on making small, simple cards as well.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I got my first sale two days ago and sent out their print today! I've sold stuff on etsy before and have sold things in general before but man does this ever feel good! I love making things for people. I'm curious how people get traffic to their shop though?

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Thank you guys so much for the advice. I'm kind of fumbling right now because I love making art, I love making art for other people, and I love the freedom that etsy gives me to not have to go in to an 8 hour shift hating myself the entire time. Unfortunately, the 'maybe you'll sell something today, maybe you won't' aspect of it kinda sucks for me now.

Funhilde posted:

I would like to second the keyword advice. Use whatever you think will drive business to your store.

My friend came over and helped take some pictures of my ties for me. Still have more options that I need to get photos of but It is always nice to have fresh stuff.

This might be nit picky of me, but in some of your photos you can see the tape used to hold the paper into a cylinder. It's not noticeable enough for someone to go UGH THAT LOOKS BAD, but in the future I'd turn the tube around a little so you can't see it if possible. Makes it look nicer, I think. Your ties are awesome though! I wish I had a cat to clothe with them... do you make bird sized? hahah

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

13Pandora13 posted:

Mr. Pandora and I are taking our stained glass etsy shop to "real business" level and I'm really lost as far as building our website. I've built websites before but never anything more important than a blog. When I ran my aunt's business's site (real estate), it was pre set up and I basically just had to log in and manage it.

Who do y'all use as a host? We already about the domain via GoDaddy (ugh) but their templates and service plans suck a lot. I need something with SSL so people feel safe actually buying through the website. I also need a host that has templates but is easily customizeable; I don't want to build from scratch but there's definitely things I want to be able to do. I like the look of Squarespace templates but I literally can't find out anything about importing domains or SSL on their overly pretentious homepage.

I made my website with adobe's Muse. It's a 'start from scratch' deal but it's extremely customize able and SO simple to use if you have any knowledge at all of illustrator or indesign, and even if you don't. Basically, make shapes, put shapes together, convert to code, upload to website. The downside is that the program is subscription based and is about 15$ a month. The UPside is that you get a month free. I also personally use dreamhost. I think they're extremely friendly and helpful, I had a hard time understanding how to set up my domain and ended up making two and making the wrong one live and they quickly helped me with it and negated the charge it gave me for the mess up. I think I pay 100 some a year for my space.

Alternatively, you could work with some kind of designer that may have used Muse before and may be looking for work...

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I just re-opened my shop after being told that I should find a better (cheaper) way to get my prints out to people. I'm now offering reproductions of my original artwork at nice 11x14 poster size, check it out! https://www.etsy.com/shop/InklingForDesign

I'm also in on the 10$ banner whenever it happens.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

I'm in for my :10bux:

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

URL: https://www.etsy.com/shop/InklingForDesign
Shop: Curious Curios
Creates: Relief prints, reproductions and custom designs
Coupon Code: Goonmas for 20% off orders above 50$

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Fayez Butts posted:

Credit cards are easy these days. Get a Square.

Wow I've been looking for something like this but didn't want to pay out the rear end for one. Can you give me a little synopsis about your experiences with it if you have one? I'm very skeptical about 'IT'S FREE, WE JUST GET A PERCENTAGE OF YOUR SALES.' It seems way too easy and too good to be true.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Hello again! I recently updated my shop, changed prices and changed the appearance of things. Got some better photos up and stuff but I'm not sure how to actually...get people to buy I guess? I have a price range from 15-90 and I'm constantly trying to offer more things and switching the search words and such. What am I doing wrong? Is my stuff just too expensive? Do people on etsy just dislike 'fine art'? As in, stuff that has to go on your wall?

Teach me your Etsy secrets

https://www.etsy.com/shop/InklingForDesign

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Solenna posted:

And for the love of everything unholy put "cthulhu" and "lovecraft" tags in your tentacle pictures. I hope this helps!

WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS. Holy poo poo. Your other advice is outstanding and thank you so much for it but I don't even know how that didn't cross my mind at all. I am a massive Lovecraft fan and I just. Wow. How in the world.

Ahem.

So you think that it's better to have them be awkward and long and trigger more search results than to have something that you can access at a glance? I was trying to make it easy to know what the product is instead of having to dig. I've found that people don't know a whole lot about printmaking and get really really confused. I guess you're right though - I have to have people there in the first place to be confused.

(P.S. Thank you about the Ram, I love all of those skulls a lot. I have them on small 4x4 squares I sell at places and I'm looking to get them on stickers. I probably sell the most of them haha.)

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

When is the cut off point? I need to swap some money to paypal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Keska posted:

Holy crap, have you guys seen this?

If you put an Etsy link in the "source" field when you put a picture on Tumblr - Like so:

It makes a link in the upper right of your post to your Etsy listing!!

It pulls the price over automagically and everything!!!

....THIS IS REALLY COOL. Wow I post stuff on tumblr all the time, this is perfect, thanks for the heads up!