Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm still working on my shop, trying to improve my product quality and such, but I have a few pieces that I'm proud of.

My shop is called Shock and D'aww, and I make things that are creepy but cute but creepy.

This little guy is my best seller:

I just finished a stuffed giant squid made of corduroy and faux leather. He's about 5' long and I need to get a better photo before I can list him. I'm probably going to have to price him around $50 since his materials were kind of pricey and he took a lot of labor. I'm a little concerned that's too expensive. :ohdear:

I'm also working on a design for these little knitted tubes that can be worn as a neck gaiter or a hat. They have a drawstring in one end so you can gather them up. They're great for anyone who wears their hair in a high ponytail a lot - they have plenty of room in the back so they don't squish your ponytail like a regular beanie hat. I may start a separate store for those, though, since they don't really fit in with the theme of this shop.

Some of the items are kind of rough, but I'm still in my ideas phase. I do plan to make more stuffed animals, probably mostly sea creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Make sure they're dried out properly, or they will start to rot. I'm not sure what's involved in processing them to preserve them, though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I think usually they dry out on their own before they're shed? Not sure. My friend had a bunch that came out of a peacock who freaked out and tried to escape someone's arms, so they weren't exactly "naturally" shed and they eventually rotted.

I think it would be super cool to encase a few in acrylic or clear resin, just as a paperweight or whatever, but that may just be me and my recent fascination with embedding stuff. I've got a huge dead black widow spider that I want to encase in resin when I have time.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

SuBeCo posted:

:stare: I must have a spider encased in resin. Would you sell them?

Oh, definitely. Unfortunately the legs curled up while it was sitting in alcohol, they were nice and spread before. I haven't messed around with it to see if I can gently pull them straight. Also the hourglass has faded quite a bit since when I first found it :(

The thing is a monster. Biggest black widow I've ever seen. The body is like a marble!

I also tossed a little dead millipede I found into the alcohol bath. Maybe I can collect enough bugs to make this a regular thing in my Etsy store...I have a batch of small glass dishes that are meant to hold candles, maybe I'll use those. They're about half the size of this kind:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Mizufusion posted:

I can take some pictures later, but basically they look like a cheap rush job. The legs aren't spread out evenly, and there are bubbles in the resin around the spider.

That's disappointing. Bubbles are hard to prevent in big projects, but in little things like that it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Does anyone here have experience selling food-related items? I'm just curious about the rules and any hoops you have to jump through. It wouldn't really fit in with my current shop theme, but I always have an overabundance of herbs in my garden and I was thinking it might be fun to make some special blends and sell them. The Etsy FAQs don't offer much info.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I was just thinking dry herbs, but it's possible they would require a fully inspected kitchen. Which wouldn't be worth it, given the dollar amounts we're talking about.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Is there anything I need to do to get involved with you classy folks on Etsy, like join a circle or whatever? Just start tagging everything Team Goon? I'm not sure how all that works, but I'd like to find out :)

I'm thinking about adding creepy quilts to my repertoire, but I'm not sure if that's biting off more than I can chew...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I always keep my fingers crossed that my work goes far enough into parody that I'm covered :ohdear:

But I also make a lot of unique stuff that isn't based on existing characters, so.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Thank you so much for sending me the Marcus Munitions one for free with my order, it totally made my day. The Peacekeeper decal caused my friend to make a very unmanly sound of joy, too.

I put both Borderlands decals on my car. I kind of want to order a big pile of vault symbols from you and stick them in random places so people will find them and feel like they completed a badass challenge :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Mizufusion posted:

The weird thing is, I never had lice as a kid, no one I knew had lice, and if it was ever an actual problem at my school, no one told me. I can't help but feel like I'm paranoid about absolutely nothing, but everyone talks about mystical head cooties, so they must exist somewhere. :tinfoil:

I was actually given lice by my school nurse during the mandatory lice check, because she didn't switch combs between students like she was supposed to. Half my class got them that way. Yay redneck school districts!

All three of my sisters ended up with them too. It was incredibly awful and they were chemical resistant, so we had to use the like crazy industrial stuff and it made a lot of my hair fall out. :(

So yeah, it's a thing. Even reading you guys' discussion about it made my head itch.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Can I also pimp out my sister's shop here? Daft Craft is where my little sister sells her amazing homemade scented candles. She used to sell lip balms as well, but it got too hard to keep up with both product lines.

These candles are seriously wonderful. I have to be careful buying scented things because they give me headaches, but none of her stuff gives me any issues.

The Peppermint Bark one smells like a Thin Mint :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Two things about Jayne hats, both the licensed ones and the majority of the homemade ones:
1) The one in the show is a chunky wool-like texture, the licensed one and a lot of the ones I see at cons are acrylic.
2) The colors on the original are much more muted, although it's hard to tell the exact color due to the lighting in the scene, they are definitely not as bright as that.

So yeah. That's why they look off.

I made one for my husband years ago, and the colors and material are pretty perfect, but I was an even shittier knitter then than I am now, so the hat is even more, ahem, rustic than the original. He doesn't care, because he wears it to shovel snow and not to cons.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I've been meaning to order a couple of items from you and forgetting, but I can stop procrastinating for a good cause :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I'm really proud of this thing I made as kind of a Halloween decoration/art piece/display item.

Here's the listing. I feel weird listing something so expensive, but it cost me a lot to buy all the supplies and required a lot of work to put together. Hopefully someone likes it enough to buy it and justify all the time and effort.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

NatashaQuick posted:

I bet someone will buy that, seriously. It looks well worth it judging by the materials alone.

Thanks, that makes me feel better about the price :) I may do a bunch more of the little vials as separate listings, because I had to buy a case of them to get those five, and those would of course be much cheaper but still pretty cool display items.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Of course you say that now that I've packed the whole thing up in bubble wrap ;)

I have some photos of the individual items, but they are kind of lackluster pictures, I was having lighting issues. I'll go through and see if any of them can be cleaned up a bit and added to the listing.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

flutterbyblue, I wore my hair clip with the d20 to a wedding today and I got so many compliments! And it stayed put in my notoriously stubborn hair that always rejects clips :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Those little birds are so cute :3: I may need to buy one as a gift for someone - I'd get one for our house, but I have a feeling the cats would probably perceive it as a toy and wreck it!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Any US sellers have experience shipping to the UK? I got a convo from someone who's interested in buying that crazy expensive monster hunting kit, but she's in the UK. I've shipped small gift items to friends there, but nothing like this - is the VAT and such the buyer's responsibility?

The shipping price on this thing would be like $65, but I guess if she really wants it...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

mehall posted:

VAT would be the buyers responsibility, yes, at customs.

Customs will use the value listed on the package to work out how much to charge for Customs + VAT.

Lots of packages get through with no extra, but some do get stopped and charged.

If you want to be nice to the buyer, you could tell her you'll list the total cost of materials as the item cost on the package so VAT is minimal.

e; and that's only £40 shipping, which is pretty reasonable for a wooden case coming from the states.

Makes sense. I'll let her know it's doable :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

The materials were about $80 and I'm asking $200, due to the labor involved, but I'm okay with putting the "value" as $80 if that will help her pay lower fees.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Well, she came back and said she can't really afford to do it right now, so I think it's a moot point. Your arguments make sense, though - I hadn't really thought about it in those terms.

At some point I would like to make smaller, less intricate (and less expensive) versions of the item, and I told the gal as much. Hopefully if I can get that off the ground she would be able to purchase one of the less expensive sets and the VAT and such would be cheaper anyway.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

That's stunning!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Somebody finally bought my crazy expensive item! It was funny, yesterday I was thinking about doing paid promotion for it, because it had been listed for quite a while and gotten lots of favorites, but not sold...decided to wait on it, and this morning I woke up to an email saying someone had bought it. :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I changed my shop name to make it more searchable and get a simple URL. It's now called "A Bit Wrong" since most of my items are, well, just a little bit wrong.

In addition to listing a couple of paintings and sculptural items, I've started offering antique books from my personal collection. I own way too many old books that are just filling my house with clutter and dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Radio! posted:

Repostin' my shop because I have ~branched out~ into polymer clay animals.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACraftForCrows?ref=si_shop

By the way, there's another shop on my feed that does polymer animals and I just wanted to let you know that yours are way cuter :3: