Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I'm not really sure if anyone here can help at all, but my fiance has been making customized glass etchings and is thinking about expanding to an Etsy shop. Now, we're not quite at that stage yet because first he's looking into getting some sort of vinyl cutting machine so that he doesn't have to spend hours hand-cutting stencils anymore. We had been looking at the Cricut machines until realizing they don't actually do custom designs at all, just pre-made cartridges. Does anyone here have experience with anything like that and have some advice?
thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

13Pandora13 posted:

Expensive as hell but this showed up on my Amazon page today: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=507846

That's actually cheaper than another one we were looking at, and we have a family friend who deals with Brother a lot so we might have an in there too. Thanks!

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Me again, not sure where else to ask this question but I know you'll all have experience with this so you're probably my best resource.

Anyone have any recommendations for tracking your shop expenses/income? I know I can make an excel sheet that's really simple if I want, but thought maybe someone here knew of a template or simple program that would have a bit more finesse. We're still likely going to open at Etsy shop at some point, but for now we're on a waiting list to get a booth at a permanent arts market that features 100 local sellers so we're trying to get things off the ground right now. Thanks!

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

unabaumer posted:

I just ordered a Cameo Silhouette (http://smile.amazon.com/Silhouette-...ameo+silhouette) for cutting custom vinyl. It came highly recommended and had a decent price. I'll be getting into early next week and I'd be happy to field any questions I can if you haven't bought that Brother machine already.

We actually did get the Brother one already, but thanks. I'd be curious to learn how well it works anyway. The one we got cuts very precisely, but it does have some difficulties with designs where there are details within details within details (something like the BSG logo for instance). It especially doesn't like to resize things like that because it obviously views each little detail as an individual piece, but we're figuring out how to work around it's limitations pretty well.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
So the name we've chosen for our physical store it turned out had already been taken on Etsy. However, the shop opened in 2008, has one sale and has been inactive since. I emailed the owner who has graciously given us the shop, she's already changed the email to my address and told us the password so we can completely take over, which is awesome.

I'm just not super familiar with Etsy from a selling perspective, is there any reason this might turn out poorly down the line? Any specific precautions I should be taking?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Edit: never mind, we have discussed it more and decided maybe a Christmas rush isn't the best time to be figuring out how to use etsy/safely ship glass in addition to everything else going on right now.

KasioDiscoRock fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 1, 2014

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Well, I finally managed to get around to making an Etsy shop. Not a whole lot yet, but we do have handmade dragon eggs and a few geeky etched beer steins.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/GeekGlass

Any advice is appreciated. I know we need to get better at photographs, though they've come an awfully long way already from what they were. I'm thinking the descriptions need to be a bit more to them as well, but I honestly just wanted to finally get something up today and will likely embellish them more a little later.

Special coupon code for goons, 15% off with 'SAGOONS'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I am an esty casual trying to wrap my head around how to make it a worthwhile selling platform for me. It seems like all guides point towards having tons of items listed (like 50-100+ separate things) as key to attracting attention- most of the things I make are customized to an individual so listing that many things means a lot of inventory to create just for the purpose of taking a picture. If I want to sell something that requires $20-50 in materials to create it's wasteful to make one I can't sell because it has my name on it- plaques, signs, engraved icons, etc. But who is going to buy something if there's not a picture of the actual item? Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

You can use the same photo of an existing item for multiple individual listings. If you really wanted you could go a step further and (depending what you make) offer different sizes of the items as different listing so they come up as different prices. ie someone who knots can show the same image of a sweater with a reindeer but then have 5 different listings with that image for sweaters sized from kids to extra large.