Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well, I did it. Nervously, tentatively (since having all your friends say "you should do this for money" is how disasters happen) I set up my initial Etsy shop. First items up on the block are baby viking costumes. More to add later as I come up with it, but I wanted to get something public.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsTMK
So, any suggestions/comments? Especially about the self-promotion thing. Never been good at that or sure how to.
Also, is Etsy Goon Squad still an active thing to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Anyone think that connecting an Etsy shop with a Facebook page is useful?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

neongrey posted:

Just FYI I have been shoving this link to your shop at everyone I know who has a baby. You might want to consider more sizes though, since it seems pretty small for everyone but the littlest kids.

Thanks! Sizing is hard, since I don't actually have kids. The model is my best friend's kid. He's 4 months old and it fit him perfectly but I really don't know how kids grow. What sizes do you recommend listing? I can do pretty much anything since it just involves trimming a little off the seams when I make it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sapphaholic posted:

This is sad. :( But at the same time, Fox has every right to do so even if it is a money grab on a series they deemed "not good enough" to continue producing ten years ago. I do hope the officially licensed hats are good quality!

Jayne's hat was actually my first Etsy purchase. It arrived in a straw-filled box with a handwritten letter from "Ma Cobb". I absolutely adore it. :3:

The funniest part is that the officially licensed product doesn't look right.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Wow! Nothing quite feels like getting your first sale! I was starting to wonder if something was wrong and then I checked this morning and :neckbeard:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

flutterbyblue posted:

Congrats Stultus Maximus! That first sale is quite a rush isn't it? (Am I the only person who was also kind of maybe terrified when the first item sold?)

And you got two sales within your first month of being open. That's pretty awesome. I don't think I got more than a sale a month for the first few months I was open.

Now I'm working hard to get at least one new item a week up on the shop to keep traffic up and maybe snag more sales. Or something. Gotta keep sewing, gotta keep creative.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well I know this isn't impressive for all you Etsy superstars who sell a dozen pieces of jewelry a day, but I'm super excited that this month, my shop has turned a profit. All my materials are fully paid for, including what I used for prototyping, practice, gifts, and some things which haven't exactly been runaway successes.

Just gotta keep trying new ideas and hoping more will catch on, but it's pretty nice to have a self-supporting hobby.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Right now I'm getting high traffic presumably due to Halloween. I'm working on some products that are Christmas-related, when do you all think I need to have them finished and up to get the holiday traffic?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's you. No problems here

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Radio! posted:

Hi I opened a shop and I have no idea what I'm doing.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACraftForCrows?ref=si_shop

:parrot:

Have you done searches as a customer to see if your keywords are working?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Radio! posted:

Not really, is there any specific strategy for that? Like, should I just search the keyword without specifying a category and see what comes up? All my stuff comes up when searching for "parrot" under the dolls and miniatures> plush category, for instance.

I'm no expert, but the idea is to pretend you're the kind of person who you think will buy your stuff and do searches as if you're that person.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Oh hey, speaking of banners - when is the ad going up? Halloween orders swamped me and I haven't had the chance to make my Christmas season stock.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Put me on the list for :10bux:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsTMK

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Okay, I've sent the :10bux:

Shop: DesignsTMK
URL: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsTMK
Creates: Mostly sewn and wood items for babies and toddlers, also have a growing adult section. Items added weekly or so.
Coupon: TBD

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 13, 2013

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Anyone here do craft shows?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

unabaumer posted:

I do conventions, does that count?

I bought some cheap fancy paper and printed up cards with my logo and contact info that I throw in with everything I sell. I think it's good to include that at least for handmade items but I wouldn't want to burn through business cards that way.

I was just curious about peoples' experiences selling at shows, especially concerning how much inventory and range of products to produce.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Does anyone else get messages asking about how to pay for items? Like, if reading SA for years hadn't already killed my faith in the intelligence of humanity, this sure would. I barely even know how to respond.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I'm not really sure if anyone here can help at all, but my fiance has been making customized glass etchings and is thinking about expanding to an Etsy shop. Now, we're not quite at that stage yet because first he's looking into getting some sort of vinyl cutting machine so that he doesn't have to spend hours hand-cutting stencils anymore. We had been looking at the Cricut machines until realizing they don't actually do custom designs at all, just pre-made cartridges. Does anyone here have experience with anything like that and have some advice?
thanks!

I don't have experience so this is secondhand info but I think the Silhouette diecut machine can import Illustrator files.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Me again, not sure where else to ask this question but I know you'll all have experience with this so you're probably my best resource.

Anyone have any recommendations for tracking your shop expenses/income? I know I can make an excel sheet that's really simple if I want, but thought maybe someone here knew of a template or simple program that would have a bit more finesse. We're still likely going to open at Etsy shop at some point, but for now we're on a waiting list to get a booth at a permanent arts market that features 100 local sellers so we're trying to get things off the ground right now. Thanks!

Yeah, I just use Excel.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What can I tactfully say to someone who didn't spring for the 2 day shipping option and is complaining that the order hasn't arrived yet and there's no tracking number?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Urban Wizard posted:

Hi guys! My mom and I are hoping to start an Etsy shop sometime this year. She's great at sewing and needlepoint and crocheting, so that's probably what we'll focus on. Does anyone have any tips/guides on how to start up with Etsy, what we should consider, and how to set things up?

Also, is needlepoint worth trying to sell? I see plenty of funny needlepoint framed things like this: and was wondering if people would actually buy stuff like that on Etsy.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Before I put something up, I search around using terms I'd expect my customers to use and see who else is selling similar items - and see how many sales they get, and at what price points.
If I don't see anyone selling anything similar, I take a shot and sometimes it works out and sometimes it bombs. :shrug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I've decided to take my Baby viking costumes to a craft show. It consists of three separate pieces - a vest, a hat, and a toy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep those items together in the display area? It's not a booth show; every entrant's items are tabled by category and the entrants only work shifts for part of the shows so I won't have direct control after I bring the items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

flutterbyblue posted:

What about bagging them up in a nice clear bag of some sort and then attaching a home-made label of some sort to the top that says what age it's fore as well as your shop and price information? You could leave one out on the table so people could look and touch, and then just pick up the bag that's the right size for their infant.

Do you know where they sell bags like that?