Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ScaryJen posted:

I opened my shop a couple of months ago, and I'm having a 50% sale off right now if anyone wants to buy some casual (but nice) jewelry. I want to clear out what's there before I put more things up. It's just beaded stuff and charm pendants right now, but I'd like to get up more of my own metalwork and pearl stringing over the next few months. Goons get free shipping with the code SHINYGOON.

My first sale didn't go well, so I think people are a little leery of buying anything from me.

Well... dang, that reviewer was an rear end in a top hat. Etsy etiquette is to only rate down if something doesn't get resolved.

Honestly, if it were me I might take a look at starting a different shop. No feedback is better than 100% bad. I dunno, it could be a bit of a pain in the rear end with paypal, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

candywife posted:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TaurusAntiquities
My Etsy shop is a work in progress that I just started yesterday.
I've had a lot of luck selling my jewelry at local art markets, but I just don't have enough free time to spend sitting at a booth all day anymore.
There's boxes of jewelry that still need to be photographed and listed. What's the best method for listing items, a dozen at a time or a few per day?

A few per day, probably. Otherwise people following you get one big spamlist and then nothing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chezlin posted:

I closed my etsy store to open up a shop over on storenvy: http://chezlin.storenvy.com/ (I hope that's okay to post a non-etsy store. Let me know if it's not and I'll remove it.) I make silver and copper jewelry. I'm also currently running a promotion for this month - 10% off any purchase with the code "sept2014"

I'm curious why you swapped over - do they take a smaller cut or something?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'll see if I can whip one up. Any reference for what last year's looked like as a jumping-off point?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yes, it's storenvy rather than Etsy, but storenvy doesn't have most of the fees Etsy does.

I looked into Storenvy a while back, and I thought they took 10% for marketplace listings?

Etsy's 20 cents a listing and 3.5%.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Solenna posted:

Well, my work is pretty quiet, and my headspace is pretty good, and it's starting to get lovely out, so if we want to do the annual Christmas thread + banner ads I can run them again. It's always been pretty successful for me.

Sounds great! When do we want to start putting things up this year? I kind of feel like having them up for a black friday/cyber monday would be good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow, those fees are whack.

1 dollar per item (waived if you spend 40 dollars a month)
Plus referral fees on top of that. For jewelry, 20% or $2.00, whichever is bigger.

EDIT: Oh, I see, for the new handmade section they're 'only' charging 12%, and are temporarily waiving the monthly fee. Still a lot more than etsy charges, and it goes away in august 2016

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 10, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Really good. About double a normal month

Might have been because I just started using promoted listings.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Confused about how Promoted Listings work. You name your price for them, and then what happens?

Basically it works as follows

You set a maximum cost per day. Let's say $10
You set a bid amount for a listing. Let's say 5 cents.

Based on how much you bid, you get put at a different height on the search page's promoted listings tab. A guy who bid 10 cents shows up earlier than a 9 cent guy, for instance.

If someone clicks on the listing, etsy records the search terms they used, and charges you 5 cents. If they don't click, you don't pay anything. If someone clicked on a promoted listing and buys an item from you in the next 30 days, etsy notes down what they clicked on and what they bought, so you can see how effective promoted listings are.

So if you have a maximum of 10 dollars and pay 5 cents a click, each day you get 200 clicks before you're spent out and your items stop appearing in promoted search slots.

You can also set up an autobid, with a maximum cost per click, or combine that with setting costs on an item-by-item basis.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 4, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beffah posted:

For those using them, are using promoted listings worth it?

In the last 2 months since activating them, I spent $320 and got $1880 of sales through promoted listings.

Overall seem to be a pretty good deal, but hard to tell how much cannibalization there is of other sales.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asiina posted:

So I have a shipping question because shipping profiles are kinda limited. I'm selling pins/buttons. For example, I'm selling a set of Stranger Things buttons:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/473954533/stranger-things-inspired-pin-back

But shipping is a bit tricky. If I sell 1-4 buttons because of weight and thickness of the envelope they fall into one shipping bracket (about $6.70 S&H) and if I sell 5+ then it's a higher bracket ($9.60 S&H). I've been listing it at the higher shipping price, and refunding the difference for people who buy fewer buttons, but I'm not sure if this is the best method? It's enough of a difference that I don't feel comfortable just leaving it at the higher amount, but I'm not sure if it looks bad refunding shipping, like I don't have my act together.

Should I say somewhere on the listing that that is what I'm doing? I can't seem to figure out how to write custom text in the "shipping & policies" section.

Is there a more elegant solution? Splitting it into two different listings feels clunky as well.

Does canada's post office have flat rate boxes?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asiina posted:

Am I obligated to ship by the "ship by" date? Will something happen to my shop if I don't?

I have a listing where I give the option of 9 possible designs for buttons, but say if people order fewer than 9 they need to tell me which ones they want. This is all outlined in the listing and has worked with the dozen or so orders of this I've already had. I had a buyer only order 5 and not say which they wanted. I've messaged them on Etsy and emailed them (and am about to again) but they haven't responded and the ship by date is tomorrow. Should I cancel the order if they don't respond by tomorrow and tell them to order again? Can I let this date lapse or does Etsy track if you have delinquent orders and it reflects poorly on you?

You can extend it by three weeks, but have to send a message to the buyer when you do it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tinydryad posted:

I'd be interested in participating in the yearly thread, even though last year I had a grand total of zero orders for the holidays. It seems like last year was weird for lot of people though. If somebody's up for running it, my tenbux are ready.

Same here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Screw it, if nobody else does it I guess I will, though I'd like some advice, having never handled this before

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I am officially going to start spamming past Christmas thread participants with PMs to get the Christmas thread going.

Once I have four people signed on (including myself), I'll stick up the thread in SA mart, put up an ad, and we'll be in business.

to get in as usual, so we an afford to out-banner aggro-gator. PM me for the paypal address.

Here's the template for the thread.

code:
[img]YOUR BANNER IMG URL HERE[/img]
Shop: SHOP NAME
Goon/Lady Goon: YOUR NAME
URL: [url]https://your[/url]
Creates: WHAT DO YOU DO????
Coupon Code: IS THERE A CODE FOR SWEET DISCOUNTS?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thread is up. Figured it would be best to have it running for cyber monday.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799626

Have bought ad, hoprefully it'll show up in rotation soon!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thanks!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tinydryad posted:

I'm in but I don't have PMs (mostly a lurker.) Where to send tenbux, plz?

All my stuff is the same as last year, is the old thread still around?
Good point! I added the info on how to enter including paypal stuff to the second post

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799626&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post466862725

The old thread is here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749553&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post452192683

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think it'd be nice if people would reply to the christmas thread and post some bigger images of what they have to sell (with links to them). A curated browsing experience, and all that.

Tinydryad posted:

Excellent, sent. Thanks for wrangling the thread!

Great, got it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Next ad with the next 3 guys in it

My only question: does this seem too aggro-gator for people to click?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MisterGoGo posted:

Sent in my application, I'll do a good post in the thread if I'm approved

I'm not seeing it, where'd you send it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Okay, third ad is up!

Thanks for everyone who's participating.

By the way, if you wanted to try using promoted listings on etsy, this is a very good time of year to try them (or at least, they've had a twice as good ROI for me)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Are there still slots to get in?

Yeah sure, but I'm going to bed now so I'd be adding you sometime tomorrow

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Etsy is running a promo through the 27th: Spend $50 on an Etsy purchase and get $10 towards your next one.

Probably great for anyone who has etsy gift cards.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Good news, etsy is upgrading 'direct checkout' to 'etsy payments'

https://www.etsy.com/payments

Basically this means they're just accepting a bunch more currencies and payment options, if you have direct checkout already it gets automatically upgraded.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also people can buy through etsy without having an etsy account, which should make it easier to sell.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

After haunting Etsy for a little over a year I finally made 2 purchases last month. 2 items from overseas that I can't wait to get my hands on. As long as a shop takes PayPal it's all good.

How come Etsy doesn't have regular specials like Society6 20% off/free shipping? I've made about 14 purchases with Society6 compared to Etsy measly 2. Almost each of my purchases are around $60-100. Love these shops, I really do.

Because etsy stores are run by individuals - etsy itself only takes a 3-5% total cut on each item. While if you sell a $24 t-shirt on society6 the artist only gets $2.40 from that, and society6 takes the remaining $19.60

Since society6 controls the pricing and shipping they can reduce their profit margins a bit for sales events. Removing etsy's cut is so trivial it's pretty meaningless (and even then they occasionally do have etsy-wide promotions, but mostly on gift cards).

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 6, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Thank you Tunicate that clears that up.

Now, if you do want coupons (including one from my jewelry shop) the ones in the christmas thread are probably still good

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799626

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Looks like etsy is actually doing a labor day sale after all. They just implemented a new system so you could actually set up temporary sales on items/shops, and then stuck everything on sale into a big pile for labor day

https://www.etsy.com/sales

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Etsy is currently matching google shopping ads, so you effective pay half price. If you're interested in trying them out, now's the time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

Are we doing a banner ad this year? Don't think it really drove my sales much last year but can't hurt to try again

Whoops, totally lost track of this thread.

If I get three other people willing to toss in within the next two days or so, I'll set up the goon etsy thread for this year.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Its a really tiny increase and leaves etsy as still being the cheapest option around.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The problem is that, so far, they only include search through the site and not the app, which is only like 8% of my sales.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

by the way, anyone in on a holiday goon thread this year? Last one I didn't have time to run but this time I totally do.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ars Arcanum posted:

Thank you! I would sincerely appreciate any advice or information at this point; despite being a wholehearted internet goon, I've never been able to wrap my head around listing algorithms and whatnot.

I guess I just don't understand SEO...everything I read about it, or every video I watch, etc. is just the same bland advice to title/tag/describe things the same as I would anyway. Like, "flower necklace" is in no way going to make one of my pieces stand out amid the bazillion identical metal rose necklaces all the top results show. I'm not really sure how to tag or describe my stuff in a way that shoppers would search for, since what makes it unique is pretty specific. Honestly, aside from a couple random hits from social media, all my shop views since I started listing again have been from SA.

I mean, I get jewelry is one of the worst categories to try to break into, but as someone who has also shopped on Etsy since its inception, it's really depressing to put in a search term and see tons of the same crummy stuff that is obviously not handmade or unique in any way. I guess I just don't know what to do, other than maybe follow through with my plan to start hitting up local events and stuff instead of investing a ton of time and effort into establishing a solid Etsy shop.

Of course I welcome any and all advice you and everyone else here has. If I'm missing something or people have suggestions for tags and search terms, please tell me! I'd just like it if shoppers looking for something NOT mass produced (aside from stamping some "personal" initials into metal) would be able to find my stuff.

Didn't see this before, lemme give some feedback with a sample listing

Yellow Rose Pendant - Handmade Polymer Clay and Glass Pendant
https://www.etsy.com/listing/189333629/yellow-rose-pendant-handmade-polymer?ref=shop_home_active_13

For tags, single-word tags are a bad idea generally, since etsy does substring sampling. Trying to match exact multi-word phrases is cool and good, but there's no benefit for including 'rose' over 'yellow rose' (and there is a benefit for including 'yellow rose' over 'yellow' and 'rose'.

Here's how I'd suggest to change the tags, combining some, removing the one-word tags, and adding some other ones. I'm pretty sure I didn't go over the tag character limit on these (if you want to make the 'round rose jewelry' and 'tiny rose jewelry' tags less redundant here you can as well).

yellow rose necklace
mini rose pendant
pendant necklace
mini pendant
rose
yellow

polymer clay pendant
tiny rose jewelry
yellow flower gift
glass flower pendant
rosebud necklace
round rose jewelry
rose necklace

and I'd add these, since they're things people might be looking for

pendant with chain
vintage flower photo

I'd also add in the description that yellow roses symbolize friendship in the language of flowers. It might or might not pan out, but it's the sort of thing people on etsy like, but it also gives you these tags

friendship pendant
language of flowers

As for the title

Yellow Rose Pendant - Handmade Polymer Clay and Glass Pendant

Now, personally, I prefer using commas instead of - to split up my phrases, since that way you only use two characters between them instead of three. Also, I've heard that including 'handmade' just to have it as a word isn't very useful, since everything in the 'handmade' half of etsy pings for it - it'll only help if it exactly matches a phrase.

Yellow Rose Pendant, Vintage Photo Jewelry, Round Glass Marble, Rose Photo Gift, Golden Flower, Polymer Clay and Glass Necklace with Chain

'Vintage Photo' still has the issue of etsy autocorrecting every search that leads with 'vintage' to the vintage section, but 'vintage photo' is also a common search, so it's probably worthwhile to include anyway. If you wanted you could replace 'Rose Photo' with 'Rose Picture', or free up a few characters to add 'friendship' to the title.

One other important factor is that Etsy no longer gives uneven weighting for search on where a string is located in the title - only the first few words show up to users in search, however, so you want your 'real' title to be included at the beginning, and put your more seo-type description babble at the end.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh yeah, I probably didn't mention it - the autocomplete in etsy's search bar is a fairly good way to get suggestions for tags. It only includes the most common searches, which is a bit of a mixed bag (since some of them are gonna have a ton of competitors), but it's better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

edmund745 posted:

So I am thinking about opening an Etsy shop, and I am reading through the guide pages they have....
And I've gotten to a couple where they mention an example of a person who took an entire year to make their first sale....
WOW
That is a looong time.
It is mentioned that a lot of people give up too soon, but I can't imagine I would ever bother screwing with the thing for an entire year without making any sales.
If it went three months with nothing I'd assume I was doing something really really wrong...

For those of you who have been doing this a while,
1--how long did it take to get your first sale, and-
2--do you sell something pretty unique, or is it fairly common?

It depends primarily upon how many different items you have - the more ways people can find you in search, the faster stuff sells.

A lot of the guides are by hobbyist folks who only put up two or three things.