Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insouciantly
Aug 21, 2018

"Take no heed of her... she reads a lot of books."

Well, I've decided to do the crazy thing and quit my day job to try to be a full time artist. To feed and support that dream, I'm making a big push at esty and local craft fairs.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/KellyWoveIt

I weave scarves! I feel like they're pretty awesome. I weave some of them with reflective strips, like the stuff in night-time safety clothes, so any direct light like headlights or a camera flash make them seem to "light up."

You know what they say.... Winter is coming! (Sorry, couldn't help it).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insouciantly
Aug 21, 2018

"Take no heed of her... she reads a lot of books."

Thanks for all the compliments! I'm jumping off the steady-employment boat to try to weave full time, so knowing that other people actually like what I make is really helpful right now.

Ars Arcanum posted:

It's been almost three years since I abandoned my shop (who would've guessed what should have been a dream job for me would actually destroy my creativity and mental health?). I'm finally starting to get it up and running again, but I'm pretty intimidated by all that's changed since I was last around, not to mention how Etsy has become even more saturated by cheap mass-produced stuff people are pawning. I wish this thread was a bit more active, since I could really use some advice on handling all the SEO nonsense and whatnot.

I've been there. I just recently quit my dream-job-turned-energy-vampire to try to focus on creativity full time. Its terrifying, but at least I wake up and *want* to get out of bed right now?

Before the job turned really terrible, I did manage to absorb some things about SEO. I worked for an online fabric company you've likely heard of as part of their web development team, and the board always wanted to look at etsy as an example of how they thought our search should work. If you have any specific questions I can try to answer them? Try is definitely the operative word. The one real thing I learned about SEO is that it is dark magic everyone talks about but no one is willing to define. Google, etsy, whoever, it doesn't matter. They'll tell you they do it, they'll tell you its important, they'll give you tidbits to try to guide you and use you the way they want to, but they will never EVER give out their magic formula because they don't want people to game the system.

That said, etsy did just add a pretty new feature where they actually show you what phrases people searched for that led them to your listings, and how high on the page your listing was, and if they clicked or not, and if they bought anything or not. I'm hoping it becomes helpful in guiding what tags and phrases to add to my own listings.

insouciantly fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 7, 2018